Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90111 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by huntila(m): 12:12am On Feb 23, 2015
Uzo don vex!!!!!!!!!!! Who's annoying my uzo?
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Igbo people are tribalistic, they are evil, they love money, yet you want to marry them? Seriously?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:19am On Feb 23, 2015
laudate:

Moses married an Ethiopian woman in the Bible, yet he still spoke to God one on one, and received the 10 commandments from His hand.

Bros, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing oh...

Was it not d same Ethiopian woman called Keturah dat was fighting Moses and calling him a useless man?!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 12:20am On Feb 23, 2015
Neplusultra:
Was it not d same Ethiopian woman called Keturah dat was fighting Moses and calling him a useless man?!

Even when husbands and wives come from the same hamlet, they fight themselves. So is that anything new

Apart from that, there is only 1 recorded account of a disagreement between them in the bible. It had to do with the circumcision of their son, i believe.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 23, 2015
gracefams:
. Please ignore the sissy,most of their men behaves like women, they think they can bully and manipulate people, just drop your opinions about them and leave them to start whining .
Thanks dear.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:23am On Feb 23, 2015
waternogetemeny:

If Abraham never married the Egyptians then boko haram and isis will never exist. Sarah was a fellow Israelite.

Inter-tribal marriage is not endorsed by God. I don't even want to start with Samson and Delilah. Solomon and how his foreign wife's turned him away from God to idols. The bible said: Marry from your tribe for maximum peace of MIND.
Daz all
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Juliesexy(f): 12:28am On Feb 23, 2015
JoeCutie:
The answer is very simple: They love marrying from their tribe. Period.

Igbo girls amaka. grin
Very true. Anyi amaka. We are beautiful. Very beautiful. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:29am On Feb 23, 2015
laudate:

Even when husbands and wives come from the same hamlet, they fight themselves. So is that anything new

Apart from that, there is only 1 recorded account of a disagreement between them in the bible. It had to do with the circumcision of their son, i believe.
Just dat?? Y did Abraham insist on Isaac marrying from deir tribe? Y did Samson's parents refuse him marryin from anoda tribe? Dis tin is biblical o! Marry from your tribe. SIMPLE!!!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 23, 2015
enkay4love:
U're very stupid to had made this comment,have u taken a good look at urself?since u posted a pix,not even one " like" to console urself. U're bigger than this,& stop behaving below ur age. To start with,did my post sound like one looking for a man?or do I seem single to u?pls go away,ugly bleaching gorrilla!
Ohh, am sorry but he's handsome

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:35am On Feb 23, 2015
Peppyluv:
says the man from the tribe of sabotuers and tribalism....,.Igbos don suffer for nl
Igbos no suffer anytin infact dey are d ones who don't want to accept d reality facing dem so dey tend to always deny there by raising unecessary dust.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by bigfrancis21: 12:36am On Feb 23, 2015
huntila:
Uzo don vex!!!!!!!!!!! Who's annoying my uzo?

Biko, onye di ife a? cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 12:39am On Feb 23, 2015
Neplusultra:
Just dat?? Y did Abraham insist on Isaac marrying from deir tribe? Y did Samson's parents refuse him marryin from anoda tribe? Dis tin is biblical o! Marry from your tribe. SIMPLE!!!

Nobody is saying you should not marry from your tribe. All that is being said is that if you know you have no intention of marrying from outside your tribe, then DO NOT date anyone from outside your tribe, or lead them on to think you have good intentions of building a future together, only to turn round stylishly to dump them with some silly excuse or on some irrational pretext! angry when in actual fact, the tribal difference is the reason you back pedalled!

Read Ishilove's post. It makes a lot of sense. cool

Also, for thise who keep citing Biblical pieces to justify their position, then please note that there are still Jews that married outside their race. e.g. Joseph who married an Egyptian princess, and Boaz that married Ruth, who was from Moab. And all those Biblical conditions existed in the old testament. Those conditions were given to prevent the non-believers from polluting the faith & religion of the Israelites.

In the new testament, those who believe in our Lord Jesus Christ and His work on the cross for their salvation have all become children of God by faith. So, those distinctions about not marrying from other tribes in order not to pollute their religion, would not exist.

Hope this clarifies the issue! shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:39am On Feb 23, 2015
Mrbigman1:
This one Nigeria shit is getting into our brain from the back door.
It's all a ruse.

My culture can not vanish, my traditions must live till eternity.

I can't be speaking English in my home and to my in-laws.

If am gone, my kids must know dia root, they must not vanish in thin air.
@op, u and ur friends no see urobo people go date?

Am in warri, when u say a hi to an urhobo chick, she hears ur accent, next question she ask is, re u igbo? The zoom she goes to dat a barber or a valgnizier. And the end of the day she's not married after all.

If igbo guy date dem for 3 months, dey cry foul.
Wen dia people will keep dem in his hut for 10 year as gf without even knowing dia parents, dem go hide dia sins and bring igbo people own all out.

God is watching in a 108" 3D tv
Hahahahahaha!!! U get mouth!!!! grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by shaboti: 12:39am On Feb 23, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Cant believe I read all 21 pages of this thread, was interestin sha oo. e be like say dem open ground for everybody to come vent their anger for igbos.

After all said and done
Proudly Igbo.
Any time, any day.

God bless us all cheesy smiley

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:42am On Feb 23, 2015
punta:
I don't know if anyone already mentioned this since I couldn't read all 12 pages of previous comments;

IF YOU ARE NOT FROM ANAMBRA

MARRY ONE

MAKE ONE A FRIEND AN IN-LAW.....OR ANYTHING!!!

YOU NEED TO HAVE THE ANAMBRA EXPERIENCE IN THIS LIFE

WE ROCK!!!!!!!!

Uwa mu uwa asaa, m ga abu onye Anambra!
smiley
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by elipheleh(m): 12:42am On Feb 23, 2015
enkay4love:
U're very stupid to had made this comment,have u taken a good look at urself?since u posted a pix,not even one " like" to console urself. U're bigger than this,& stop behaving below ur age. To start with,did my post sound like one looking for a man?or do I seem single to u?pls go away,ugly bleaching gorrilla!

grin grin grin Your ugliness reach high heavens. Hmm and which unfortunate man impregnetaed you to marry you?
I guess a gorilla! Huh.
You are one hell of a shit and make sure you don't give birth to creatures like you. just operate solely on abortions. The world need to be rid of things that look like you. Idiotic Ye-roober

No wonder youve spent almost 1 whole month on NL from 2014 till now looking for love....Stay here while real people with worth meet in real world.
Ugly shit
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 12:47am On Feb 23, 2015
somegirl1:

You know that Anita is a full-blooded Igbo girl from Oguta in Imo State, don't you?
Wow.She is? Lola must be feeling intimidated somehow sad
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:48am On Feb 23, 2015
laudate:

Nobody is saying you should not marry from your tribe. All that is being said is that if you know you have no intention of marrying from outside your tribe, then DO NOT date anyone from outside your tribe or lead them on to think you have good intentions, only to turn round stylishly to dump them with some silly excuse! angry

Read Ishilove's post. It makes a lot of sense. cool

Also, for thise who keep citing Biblical pieces to justify their position, then please note that there are still Jews that married outside their race. e.g. Joseph who married an Egyptian princess, and Boaz that married Ruth, who was from Moab. And all those Biblical conditions existed in the old testament. Those conditions were given to prevent the non-believers from polluting the faith & religion of the Israelites.

In the new testament, those who believe in our Lord Jesus Christ and His work on the cross for their salvation have all become children of God by faith. So, those distinctions about not marrying from other tribes in order not to pollute their religion, would not exist.

Hope this clarifies the issue! shocked
Yes, u made sense, but I still reiterate dat tribea shud marry deir tribes. Its biblical and I know of cases wia it wrecked a lot of havoc, Peace.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 12:49am On Feb 23, 2015
elipheleh:

grin grin grin Your ugliness reach high heavens. Hmm and which unfortunate man impregnetaed you to marry you?
I guess a gorilla! Huh.
You are one hell of a shit and make sure you don't give birth to creatures like you. just operate solely on abortions. The world need to be rid of things that look like you. Idiotic Ye-roober

No wonder youve spent almost 1 whole month on NL from 2014 till now looking for love....Stay here while real people with worth meet in real world.
Ugly shit

Am fulfilled on every side,I added love to my username cos there's so much love in my life n family.Sorry to disgrace u,go get a life.From this moment,u're officially ignored & confined to the gutters
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by somegirl1: 12:50am On Feb 23, 2015
dovelike:

Wow.She is? Lola must be feeling intimidated somehow sad

She is. I don't know where people got the notion that she is not Igbo.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by dangotealiko: 12:51am On Feb 23, 2015
THE MANAGEMENT OF DANGOTE FACTORY WISH TO INFORM THE
GENERAL PUBLIC ON THE SALES OF VARIOUS PRODUCTS LISTED
BELOW..

CONTACT SALES MANAGER MR KEBIRU SANI ON 09051434591

DANGOTE CEMENT=1,000 PER BAG..

DANGOTE NOODLES=620 PER CARTON..

DANGOTE SALT=1,920 PER BAG..

DANGOTE TOMATO PASTE=720..

DANGOTE SPAGHETTI=650 PER CARTON..

OUR TRUCK ARE READY TO DELIVER TO ANY PART OF THE
COUNTRY BASED ON CUSTOMERS ORDER..

CONTACT MANAGEMENT TO PLACE YOUR ORDER NOW BECAUSE
TIME IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN THE ON GOING PROMO..

CONTACT SALES MANAGER MR KEBIRU SANI ON 09051434591
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 12:51am On Feb 23, 2015
Neplusultra:
Yes, u made sense, but I still reiterate dat tribea shud marry deir tribes. Its biblical and I know of cases wia it wrecked a lot of havoc, Peace.

And I have explained why such biblical reasons no longer apply to people who have given their lives to the Lord Jesus, as the fear of idolatry or pollution of religion which formed the grounds for such conditions in the first place, would no longer apply!! shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 23, 2015
somegirl1:

She is. I don't know where people got the notion that she is not Igbo.
I think it's the name Anita. It sounds yoruba calabar.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 12:59am On Feb 23, 2015
laudate:

And I have explained why such biblical reasons no longer apply to people who have given their lives to the Lord Jesus, as the fear of idolatry or pollution of religion which formed the grounds for such conditions in the first place, would no longer apply!! shocked

Leave matter! Yes I believe in d finished work of Christ but lets just agree to disagree grin
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 1:02am On Feb 23, 2015
byrron:

Y not wait until the alleged igbo guy dumps ur friend and marry an igbo lady before bringing this up since u are so sure that ur friend will be dumped when it has not even happened simply because she Is yet to be proposed to by the igbo guy.

Who even told you that all relationship must lead to marriage?

Omg!!! cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Eluwilussit(m): 1:04am On Feb 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Igbo bashing has become quite a common thing in Nigeria such that it has become normal to bash Igbo on every single thing, even on things that are meaningless.

You created this thread to ask why Igbo prefer to marry from their tribe. Are you really serious? This is a question you opened this thread for looking for 'answers'? Would you have opened this very thread in the first place had a Yoruba or Hausa guy been the one who preferred to marry from their tribe? Yes or No? Why would a Yoruba parent reject a non-yoruba suitor, and that will not be an issue. In fact, such action is justified. A Hausa parent will do the same and no dust will be raised about it. But when an Igbo parent does the same, then its a big deal. It is a serious issue that calls for serious attention and criticism, then you begin to get tags like ''Igbos are 'tribalistic'', 'they are 'selfish'', it is an 'Igbo problem' e.t.c. Minor issues that aren't issues when done by other tribes become a serious issue when Igbo is involved.

I look around me, majority Ibibios marry within the Ibibio tribe, majority Hausas marry within Hausa, Yoruba within Yoruba, why should the Igbo marrying within themselves even be a question in the first place? Despite the level of inter marriage between whites and blacks here in the US, majority whites marry within whites, chinese within chinese, blacks within blacks, and you're going to sit there and tell me that it is a problem when Igbos prefer to marry Igbos?? Like seriously??

I get your point about love being the most important factor between 2 people from different tribes and there are marriages between Igbo men and non-Igbo women however majority Igbos don't need to look outside for love when they can find it within themselves. The same love you mentioned as important, Igbo men get it from within the tribe. Why look outside? What about culture preservation and values? Why should Igbo preferring to marry from within even be an issue in the first place when other tribes are doing the same? Is the creation of this thread even justified in the first place?

Igbo people are tribalistic, they are evil, they love money, yet you want to marry them? Seriously?

Tomorrow you're going to open another thread asking 'Why do Igbo people speak Igbo?' Like seriously??

Great answer to a foolish question. It is only natural to marry within your culture. There doesn't have to be any other reason than convenience.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by elipheleh(m): 1:07am On Feb 23, 2015
enkay4love:

Am fulfilled on every side,I added love to my username cos there's so much love in my life n family.Sorry to disgrace u,go get a life.From this moment,u're officially ignored & confined to the gutters

grin grin grin The word "love" you added to your username is to console yourself. At daylight take a mirrow and gaze properly on your kinda face and look intently you may notice what I am saying. G The truth be told is that you are ugly and make sure you don't let your child pass through life rejected as you experienced. Go to sperm bank and get a handsome fair guy's gene and see if you can atleast give your daughter a fighting chance.

You should be really ashamed of a face like yours with all the tear tear marks, fat face, nasty black complexion, dirty looking teeths and smoke stained black gums and teeth...Oops what an ugly race of people. No wonder Ye-robbers are running towards Igbo Ladies to rub off their preetttiness leaving all their women to the monkies. And yet your kind are not grateful to feel associated with beautiful Igbo tribe on this forum. Ingrates! Shit
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Frankestein08(m): 1:10am On Feb 23, 2015
So are u trying to say dat if u marry from another tribe u guys won't understand yourselves? I believe dat what keeps a relationship long lasting is love and respect nd come think of it it's high time anambra men dat reason like you change their notion about marrying from their tribe because u think u'll understand her better .my dear if dats ur reason for getting married from ur tribe,den I'm sorry u 'll miss it.Haven't u seen married couple of d same tribe living as cat nd mice? Tribe shouldn't be a barrier for d choice of a life partner.Ask God for direction nd wisdom.

seriously y'all gats chillax, don't use one guy to just us all...pls
lets just say you were unfortunate not to meet the good guys like me.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 23, 2015
elipheleh:

grin grin grin The word "love" you added to your username is to console yourself. At daylight take a mirrow and gaze properly on your kinda face and look intently you may notice what I am saying. G The truth be told is that you are ugly and make sure you don't let your child pass through life rejected as you experienced. Go to sperm bank and get a handsome fair guy's gene and see if you can atleast give your daughter a fighting chance.

You should be really ashamed of a face like yours with all the tear tear marks, fat face, nasty black complexion, dirty looking teeths and smoke stained black gums and teeth...Oops what an ugly race of people. No wonder Ye-robbers are running towards Igbo Ladies to rub off their preetttiness leaving all their women to the monkies. And yet your kind are not grateful to feel associated with beautiful Igbo tribe on this forum. Ingrates! Shit
grin grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Neplusultra(f): 1:11am On Feb 23, 2015
laudate:

Bros, I don't think you know the whole story. When did Paul Okoye marry Anita? Wasn't it after their mum passed away?

Was their union formalised when their mum was alive?

When did Peter Okoye marry Lola Omotayo? Wasn't it after he lost his mum?

If her character was so bad, how come he opened his eyes and had 2 children with her.... shocked
For d issue of having two children, R u kidding me? A woman can decide to rope a guy by getting pregnant so leave matter bros undecided but maybe, just maybe, it wasnt d issue with dem, look Peter very well, u go know say na small pikin dey worry am, He tinks six packs, tattoos, earing and dancing like Usher is wot it takes eh grin He was even d one who wanted to break d group. I pray he's d one in control in dat rltnshp and dat it lasts too.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 1:14am On Feb 23, 2015
elipheleh:

grin grin grin tongue tongue.Continue roaming & ranting as a mad dog. Once again,I'm truly fulfilled in life.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Eluwilussit(m): 1:14am On Feb 23, 2015
If you check my thread,it's a question not an allegation all you needed to do was to give ur advice to d Lady.I know d Yorubas nd Hausas do dat but in dis case d guy is igbo.You Igbo guys aren't giving me answers dat I want instead u r paranoid.Abeg no be me start am oh.

You got what you deserved. So in your mind, you think you asked an honest question? Guy, every tribe marry within itself as a matter of convenience. Igbos are not different from Yorubas, Hausas and all others.

We have to stop all this tribal bashing and forge ahead as a nation. We can't continue like this and hope to get along as a people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 1:15am On Feb 23, 2015
elipheleh:

grin grin grin tongue tongue.Continue roaming & ranting as a mad dog. Once again,I'm truly fulfilled in life. Bye forever!

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

List Of Yoruba Dialects / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.