Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,505 members, 7,801,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY (76078 Views)

How Lucrative Is Environmental Toxicology In Nigeria? / How Lucrative Is Nursing As A Career? / How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
chikahenry:
Ma guy though it takes time buh it's very lucrative
thank u but how easy it is to get in to public hospital?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Pyroxene: 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2015
OK, there is a Difference between Optometry, Optician, ophthalmology etc majority of peeps will not be able to answer your question. BUT I ll tell u from personal experience, Most people in optometry are people dat did not get their preferred option which was Medicine, so Most of them go tru the program feeling sad all tru,
I ll tell u why u should not study optometry:
1- I believe u did not choose the program, u are looking for a reason to like it because dat is what u probably were given

2- Are u ready to stand the dichotomy Medical students ll give provide all tru u years in skul and even in ur professional career?

3- Quite Frankly there are almost 80% of ladies doing the programe. Hence seen as a womans course

4-Nigerian Factor has limited optometry to opticians. Without Lasik surgery

5- I can go on and on

But I can also give u reasons why its also a great program
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2015
Vitaglyde:
Its really important in nigeria especially as they play more roles in the country than elsewhere since we have few ophtalmologists
I heard it took 8 year to complete, both resident
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Proffdada: 2:06pm On Feb 23, 2015
temi4fash:

what's are the benefits of studying dentistry?

Apart from medicine which other course in the medical line is as marketable or close to been marketable as medicine.
radiologists and radiographers

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Cmanforall: 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
Franchise21:
Opticians dispense glasses... now, Wats d diff b/w Optometry n opthamology?

Optometry is that course you are about to study.
Ophthalmologist is a specialty in Surgery.

It will take about 12years for an Optometrist to become an Ophthalmologist, if (s)he wishes.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2015
whirlwind7:

Your asking this question in response to what rheether posted leaves a lot to be desired about you and your intentions.
In simple language; do you have any kind of passion about this course, to make you sacrifice 6 years to study it, or you are only interested in it's financial rewards after study?

No university degree or course of study guarantees that you would become rich after undertaking it. Your commitment to it will rather make you forge a path to succeed in it, even where many have failed.

Study a course because you love, understand and have the passion for it, not because someone tells you it would be a potential gold mine, or not.
how can someone love or have passion for a course without knowing about the course?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Cmanforall: 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2015
favoured234:

Hey.. Don't I have right to my own opinion again? shocked
I don't have eye problems but I have visited up-to-date hospitals with state of the art eye care facilities on different occassions... That's to tell you how well I appreciate those two eyes.. smiley
But for my teeth... Hiss I dey use am open coke bottle tongue
grin funny gal

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by femi4: 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2015
Fedric:
Pls everyone, I choose optometry as a course, please I wanna know how lucrative the course is,? and chance of getting a job ? Your advice is highly needed.
Omo ibo ni?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
Cmanforall:

Wrong choice, if you ask me. Spending 6 stressful years in University for this course is not worth it. Unless you just wanna answer Doctor.

I would advice you to go for Medicine. But if it seems too difficult to gain admission for that, you go for Dentistry/Nursing or Med. Lab. Science.

#my1kobo
thanks bro, I appreciate. 2kobo for u

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:15pm On Feb 23, 2015
hotgunz:
Do u even knw wat optometrists do? Cos if u did u would b ask dat question bout lucrative.
I know sir
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
Fedric:
how can someone love or have passion for a course without knowing about the course? as for the money,

You should take this time to read and research about the course, Love and passion goes a long way...

When you have an idea about the aim/goal, it helps your drive..

BTW you can do very well in Herbal medicine if you have love and passion for it

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by mohammedmagnus: 2:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
madgoat:

See ur local mentality... Pple like u and ur grandma make dentists very rich grin coz by d time u visit a dental clinic, ur teeth are now so bad.
dude your so on point with this statement. I laugh at pple when they take their tooth for granted, because when it gets so bad you would search for a dentist like oxygen

5 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Cmanforall: 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2015
temi4fash:

what's are the benefits of studying dentistry?

Apart from medicine which other course in the medical line is as marketable or close to been marketable as medicine.

Benefits of studying Dentistry--> USE GOOGLE.

Almost all Medical courses are 'marketable'. But from what I understand from the question, you're seeking for a course in Medical line with adequate job security in the present Nigeria. Here are my lists:
-Nursing
-Pharmacy
-Med.Lab Science
-Dentistry
-Radiography(Medical Image Science).

#my1kobo

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by toprealman: 2:26pm On Feb 23, 2015
Fedric:
Pls everyone, I choose optometry as a course, please I wanna know how lucrative the course is,? and chance of getting a job ? Your advice is highly needed.
As lucrative as you make it. Some lawyers, doctors and engineers are looking for jobs.....why do you think any profession is exempted.
Try to apply yourself to your studies and understand what the cause is all about. Be street smart too as you will find out that money is not made with certificates.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by awolam: 2:37pm On Feb 23, 2015

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:41pm On Feb 23, 2015
Pyroxene:
OK, there is a Difference between Optometry, Optician, ophthalmology etc majority of peeps will not be able to answer your question. BUT I ll tell u from personal experience, Most people in optometry are people dat did not get their preferred option which was Medicine, so Most of them go tru the program feeling sad all tru,
I ll tell u why u should not study optometry:
1- I believe u did not choose the program, u are looking for a reason to like it because dat is what u probably were given

2- Are u ready to stand the dichotomy Medical students ll give provide all tru u years in skul and even in ur professional career?

3- Quite Frankly there are almost 80% of ladies doing the programe. Hence seen as a womans course

4-Nigerian Factor has limited optometry to opticians. Without Lasik surgery

5- I can go on and on

But I can also give u reasons why its also a great program
go on
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:44pm On Feb 23, 2015
femi4:
Omo ibo ni?
yep but live in lagos so ma omo ibo ati omo yoruba. Loo
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by rexbuton: 2:45pm On Feb 23, 2015
Franchise21:
Thanks. Optometrists act as middle men b/w ophthamologists n Opticians
OPTOMETRISTS ARE NOT MIDDLEMEN

The optician glazes lenses and the optometrist does so too. Optometrists study principles of front bench spectacle works from their 2nd year till 5th year. It is just that most optometrists do not see the point in glazing lenses when they can pay opticians to do so and still make healthy profit. However a few optometrists still glaze patients Rx.
Very rarely would an ophthalmologist recommend SRx for a patient, instead he would just ask you to see the optometrist, conversely most optometrists shy away from pathology cases(except glaucoma) pushing them to ophthalmologists. Some of these pathology e.g corneal abrasion,scleritis,episcleritis, blunt trauma e.t.c cases are within their scope of practice(in most states and nigeria) but dem just no wan hear abeg..
so my friend there is no OPhTHALM-OPTOM-OPTICIAN workflow, it's simply diversification and patient co-management

4 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:46pm On Feb 23, 2015
favoured234:

You should take this time to read and research about the course, Love and passion goes a long way...

When you have an idea about the aim/goal, it helps your drive..

BTW you can do very well in Herbal medicine if you have love and passion for it
thanks, I am really doing that ma.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 23, 2015
awolam:
Please read carefully:
Optometry is a 6 years professional program that is not fully appreciated in Nigeria due to politics, ignorance, greed and the like.

In the United States, Optometrists earn anywhere between $70k to $150k per annum. Optometrists working in the middle east like UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia earn anywhere between $1,300-$3,400/month TAX FREE. In Nigeria, most Optometrists working in private clinics and hospitals typically earn below N90k per month (N1.8m/yr). If you are lucky to work in any government healthcare facility, you can earn upto N250k per aside from extra money you can make from private "runs" called PP.

Most graduates or students studying Optometry didnt apply to study OPT but were rejected by college of medicine (MBBS)so had to fall back to Optometry including myself.

Is Optometry lucrative? Well...its what you make of it depending on your level of ambition, tenacity and hardwork. It took me 12 yrs of hardwork after graduation to start reaping the benefits...it might be shorter for you.

If I would make the decision all over again, I will DO ANYTHING to study medicine and surgery. There's simply no comparison between the two programs in terms of prestige, recognition and remuneration. An entry level medical doctor in the middle east makes starting salary of $10k per month tax free with free health insurance, airticket and accomodation.

I sincerely wish you luck as you set out on this very long and tortous journey.

Cheers!!!

Great analysis but ... How easy does the bolded come to pass (say entry level is 1-5 Years experience) ... I don't see the possibility of paying a Nigerian entry level medical doctor that much In the UAE...... Nigerian M.Ds are treated like 3rd options, where they have 1st choices as UK, USA, S.A, ZA trained....

Hmmm The struggle is real everywhere

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Fedric(m): 2:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
awolam:
Please read carefully:
Optometry is a 6 years professional program that is not fully appreciated in Nigeria due to politics, ignorance, greed and the like.

In the United States, Optometrists earn anywhere between $70k to $150k per annum. Optometrists working in the middle east like UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia earn anywhere between $1,300-$3,400/month TAX FREE. In Nigeria, most Optometrists working in private clinics and hospitals typically earn below N90k per month (N1.8m/yr). If you are lucky to work in any government healthcare facility, you can earn upto N250k per aside from extra money you can make from private "runs" called PP.

Most graduates or students studying Optometry didnt apply to study OPT but were rejected by college of medicine (MBBS)so had to fall back to Optometry including myself.

Is Optometry lucrative? Well...its what you make of it depending on your level of ambition, tenacity and hardwork. It took me 12 yrs of hardwork after graduation to start reaping the benefits...it might be shorter for you.

If I would make the decision all over again, I will DO ANYTHING to study medicine and surgery. There's simply no comparison between the two programs in terms of prestige, recognition and remuneration. An entry level medical doctor in the middle east makes starting salary of $10k per month tax free with free health insurance, airticket and accomodation.

Cheers!!!

cheer my bro. I sincerely appreciate ur comment
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by torpedodaezy(f): 3:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
y asking the question. u have chosen it already. anyway, its a nice course. I'm an optometrist. I can tell u better
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Champella(m): 3:23pm On Feb 23, 2015
romzyxy:
study a course u love. if you dnt v love for d course den leave it. saying frm experience.

Hello brother!

What was your experience? Please share with us. So many people would love to learn from you.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by iiiyyyk(m): 3:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
Cmanforall:

I know about optometrists...
Yes, they get lucky sometimes and retained after NYSC. Some places(especially Northern Nigeria) take them as medical Doctors because of the 'Dr' attached to their person, and most of them make maximum use of this to treat other ailments outside their eye region.

One came to a hospital(to meet a Med. Dr.) to seek some training in clinical skills(like a Med. Doctor) and diagnosis to aid him during NYSC and afterwards. This is because of the ongoing trend of Optometrists practicing as Med. Drs when posted to some regions of the country.

The advantage you can have as an Optometrist is to travel to Saudi Arabia. Yes, their government come to Nigeria annually to recruit Optometrists. I have many friends there in Saudi Arabia. It is in such case you can say Optometry is lucrative.

Another way they can make it is working in already established firms.

The student just ask a simple career question, y not just answer with a clear mind.
must you bring single casses of unscrupulous elements. Every profession have the good, the bad and the ugly. .
Every few days we hear of physicians that sell run baby factories, does that represent the profession.

For crying out laoud no northern state take optometrist in place of physician. Those hospitals have physicians, pharmacist nursese etc. states have HMBs. What do take northern states for. So they also place Dentist in place of phicician?
pls lets stop this pulling down mentality, be objective in our assessment of others.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by darlenese(f): 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2015
If u are looking for a lucrative course to read, i'll advise u read MONEY grin
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by donbenie(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2015
favoured234:
More lucrative than dentistry.....
Reason: If teeth pain me, my grandmamma go give me agbo.. But if eye pain me I will not even allow a GP look at the eye cheesy
Am a Dentist,in as much as Optometry is definitely a good course and career,i highly doubt that it's more lucrative than Dentistry ,its all about job opportunities and due to its relative scarcity,Dentists are always in demand..therefore more lucrative,in my opinion,and by the way,na pain way still dey learn to crawl your Grandma fit treat with agbo..

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by iiiyyyk(m): 4:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
awolam:
Please read carefully:

Cheers!!!

I admire ur objectivity. But 12yrs after graduation, chai, u realy went the wrong/hard path.....

But in other not to give wrong info to the public, i dont think saudi pays nigerian Drs $10K per month.
Below is a recent advert from saudi ministry of health last yr.
Every job in middle east come with accommodation, visa, flight ticket etc. And employment is free.
?.............................................................................................................?

Successlink Consult based in Lagos is currently recruiting Medical Doctors for the Ministry of Health,Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The package comes with free accommodation,2 or 5 years work permit visa,free flight ticket.

Salary package ---

General practitioners --- 3,000usd--4,000usd per month
Specialized Doctors---4,500usd---6,000usd per month
Consultants -----8,000usd---10,000usd per month

The above salary is the basic monthly salary exclusive of allowances.

Registration Closes 15th January 2014

Proposed Date of interview is 28th January 2014

For further enquiry contact Favour 08107041935

www.nairaland.com/1583104/saudi-arabia-work-permit-medical
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by donbenie(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2015
favoured234:

Hey.. Don't I have right to my own opinion again? shocked
I don't have eye problems but I have visited up-to-date hospitals with state of the art eye care facilities on different occassions... That's to tell you how well I appreciate those two eyes.. smiley
But for my teeth... Hiss I dey use am open coke bottle tongue
That's the exact reason Dentists will always be in demand,so what happens when you crack that tooth in the process of using it to open coke bottle?

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2015
donbenie:
That's the exact reason Dentists will always be in demand,so what happens when you crack that tooth in the process of using it to open coke bottle?
Hey leave me alone . I am a professional crown cork opener nothing will happen but don't worry I will inbox you just in case.... Accidents do happen you know grin
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Ayosh(m): 4:37pm On Feb 23, 2015
iiiyyyk:

The student just ask a simple career question, y not just answer with a clear mind.
must you bring single casses of unscrupulous elements. Every profession have the good, the bad and the ugly. .
Every few days we hear of physicians that sell run baby factories, does that represent the profession.

For crying out laoud no northern state take optometrist in place of physician. Those hospitals have physicians, pharmacist nursese etc. states have HMBs. What do take northern states for. So they also place Dentist in place of phicician?
pls lets stop this pulling down mentality, be objective in our assessment of others.
do some finding out before leaping to accuse someone of having a pull down mentality even if the fingers are being pointed at u or ur region. the user u quoted isn't far from the truth. he said some places mostly in the north employ people who are apparently not doctors to do doctors work. I know this cos I work in such place. and yes it's d HMBs that employ them and i dare say they pay em much more than they pay some locally trained doctors (most of them are from north africa)even though their medical knowledge is at best at par with year 4 medical students in our unis. point is, make sure to be on the right side before u disclaim somebody else's claims another time.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by romzyxy(m): 5:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
Champella:

Hello brother!

What was your experience? Please share with us. So many people would love to learn from you.

engineering was the course I always wanted to study bt they gave me technical education. I studied d course without love for d course. instead of facing the shame of waiting for anoda year or 2 I m nw dealing with regrets of studying d course.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Cmanforall: 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
iiiyyyk:

Don't have your time.

Thank You.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Apostle Chibuzor Offer Sacked Chicken Republic Staff Scholarships Abroad / Access Bank Plc Salary Structure: How Much Does Access Bank Pay Staff? / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.