Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY (76283 Views)

How Lucrative Is Environmental Toxicology In Nigeria? / How Lucrative Is Nursing As A Career? / How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by HighIQ(m): 7:11pm On Jan 08, 2016
originbm:

Haha....
U cant even argue in favor of dentistry for just 2 seconds without calling medicine....thats my point....
Dentistry is not a stand alone profession...
I like dentistry....the fact is that it is not as lucrative in the private sector as optometry....
Talk from today till tomorrow....a dentist is a novice in eye care....give him the clinical case note and work-up data of a patient with a problem as little as accomodative esotropia,and watch him become an illiterate....so wat has the dentist to say against optometry with the exception of medical fall out of professional politics?
In lecturing optometry lecturers start from lecturer 2 just like medicine...We have dedicated doctors in the optometry clinic who dont lecture...whose job is purely clinical.....

In ur thinking,dentistry is great because it is under the same board with medicine...
Will a medical student also say:" Medicine is great because it is under the same board with dentistry"?
No medical student will ever say that....

Concludion....
Dentistry is priviledged in public sector not due to merit,but by virtue of its association...
Cry from today till tomorrow....Medicine merely tolerates dentistry....

WORD UP.
Gerrarerieh!
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
homesteady:

All this verbose rubbish because you lack basic comprehension!
That is their current class in Dentistry! And there is yearly influx of optometry students to medicine, I know 2 in my set! When my brother was taking me to my post-utme venue, he saw his classmate on the medicine queue grin and he was in 300L then.

People that put in for dentistry only want to get near to medicine and change later.They go through dentistry as a short cut so whats ur point....Many people who wanted medicine were given optometry....who is denying that....I told u before-but u probably have amnedia-that optometry starts from 400 level....so a 300 level student of optometry is not yet technically an optometry student...he doesnt even know majority of the lecturers...they are still at the level of pathology and pharmacology ...they dont even know what optometry entails...the dept is structured like that...so it is understandable that if the motivation is not there they leave...200 level is heavily optics oriented....not everyone has the aptitude for that....so it is understandable...but from 400 level they start clinicals and posting and then discover that optometry is not what they thought...they go on posting and see that its incomparable with dentistry in financial remuneration...the only exception are those that have elder siblings in the clinical classes....

This whole issue stems from your ignorance and bad comprehension.
Medical School does not follow School Calendar, so other students on holiday does not affect our program.
So during The solo practice and the other one, the session is still on? Do they receive classes? My brother always went by past 9 and came back before 4pm! [/quote]

I used to think scientists were capable of logical analysis...u seem to be an exception
When you are stuck u start distracting from the points by making irrelevant analogies...
Are u sure u r even a dental student or are u just daft?
So clinical training in a hospital with instructions,reports ,vivres and sometimes written tests is not a continuation of the academic session...What is classes?What is the difference between a didactic and a clinical training?
Of course for an optometry student,the session is still on.Its even tougher.Go and find out how ophthalmology residency is run.Stop asking me childish questions.
Govt hospitals close by 4pm,privates close by 5 or 6.If your brother comes home before 4p.m,ask him the beer palour he went to...

Is it a holiday? Yes or No? besides who spends only 2 weeks at home? [/quote]

You must be drunk...has any first semester break been more than 2 weeks...
Y should we not go on break...u spend 1 yr doing anatomy and physiology and biochem....we spend 6 months covering the same thing with the exception of some parts of anatomy....plus optics,psychology,ocular anatomy, biostatistics,computers and calculus(for 200 level)...and u begrudge them 2 weeks..which most optometry students even spend in school trying to cover ....Optometry gives lectures and materials even a day before exam...Everyobe in uniben knows that optometry starts exams first and finish last...sometimes exams take more than a week out of the 2 weeks holidays...
Go to health care centre tomorrow,pick up their register and check the department with the highest number of breakdowns....its optometry....

Really? Are they treating Lizards and rats? because students forms the bulk of the patients, and they are on holiday grin [/quote]

Maybe your brother is one of those that arrange student patients because he is afraid of seeing a walk-in patient.Of course u wouldnt know that even the Vice Chancellor of uniben visits the clinic....no to talk of staff and their dependents and geriatric and paediatric cases from outside and referrals from the health centre for staff....ask ur brother how many times he has run away from paediatric cases....
And then u dont know that there is a second uniben optometry clinic at ekehuan withe 90% patronage from outside...but how would you know?

And in case you dont know,the dept which gives uniben the highest revenue is optometry...5-7 million naira every quarter....no other dept can try that...the next is Agric and engineering....forget abt dentistry wen we are talking lucrativeness....

One last joinder:If u hv the time lets physically survey and compare dental and optometry clinics in Benin as a case study...all expenses is on me...i hv amazed people before with the result we got....its your turn...

Please quote each reply and answer, it makes it easier to read, because your typos are not helping matters.
This is how to do it - pick out each of my replies and add [/quote]

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by awolam: 11:00pm On Jan 08, 2016
A few points to note here

1. Optometry is recognized as a noble profession especially in the western hemisphere which can take up to 8 yrs to complete. (3-4 yrs Bachelors + 4yrs Optometry School). Pre-graduation for Optometrists theses are often considered Doctorate level. Most often than not, they bypass Masters degree and earn a PhD degree.
2. Dentists typically earn more salary than Optometrists in a hospital/clinical setting...but not by much really. Outside the west, Optometrists are not considered doctors...a myth... but they really are. See: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optometry
[/url]
3. In Nigeria, and the Middle-East, Dentists earn more salary than Optometrists because they are considered doctors and Optometrists (not considered as docs.) Dentistry belong to the same association with Medical Doctors and will thus benefit from the political and lobbying power of the latter. For the record, the NMA approach the Optometry board to join, but were turned down for fear of suppression. Dental association agreed to join thus enjoying the largess that normally accrue to Medical doctors.
4. In a private clinic setting, Optometrists earn far more than Dentists due to the sheer volume and lucrativeness of eyecare. It is for this reason you often see optical retail chain behemoths in United States, Canada, Australia, U.K and the middle-east. The one my friend works in (Middle-East has about 100 branches and rakes in minimum N10b annually). Dentists will rely on occasional big-hitters which is often beyond the scope of most private dental practices (most surgical cases are treated in tertiary hospitals.
5. As far as course content is concerned, the Optometry curriculum closely mirrors that of their Medical Doctor counterparts. I won't dwell much on this here. A simple google search would suffice.
6. The failure rate within and outside Nigeria is huge. In Nigeria, you fail ONE clinical course, you repeat a YEAR! Fail two courses, you repeat TWO years...you get my drift.

My brother currently earns about $4,931/month in the middle-east in a private setting. Tax free.

A dentist (non-consultant) will earns between $5,480 - $7,670/month in the middle-east in private setups. Tax free.

Closing thoughts:

Optometrists earn a bit lower than Dentists overall albeit enjoying a "cleaner" work environment devoid of mouth odor, blood spills, and sundry discharges.

Both Optometry and Dentistry are noble professions in their own right and the success of individuals in each profession depends on how you go about your career (Salary earner vs Private clinic entrepreneur).

Hope this settles the unnecessary fight.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2016
[quote author=awolam post=41797058]A few points to note here

1. Optometry is recognized as a noble profession especially in the western hemisphere which can take up to 8 yrs to complete. (3-4 yrs Bachelors + 4yrs Optometry School). Pre-graduation for Optometrists theses are often considered Doctorate level. Most often than not, they bypass Masters degree and earn a PhD degree.
2. Dentists typically earn more salary than Optometrists in a hospital/clinical setting...but not by much really. Outside the west, Optometrists are not considered doctors...a myth... but they really are. See: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optometry
[/url]
3. In Nigeria, and the Middle-East, Dentists earn more salary than Optometrists because they are considered doctors and Optometrists (not considered as docs.) Dentistry belong to the same association with Medical Doctors and will thus benefit from the political and lobbying power of the latter. For the record, the NMA approach the Optometry board to join, but were turned down for fear of suppression. Dental association agreed to join thus enjoying the largess that normally accrue to Medical doctors.
4. In a private clinic setting, Optometrists earn far more than Dentists due to the sheer volume and lucrativeness of eyecare. It is for this reason you often see optical retail chain behemoths in United States, Canada, Australia, U.K and the middle-east. The one my brother works in (Middle-East has about 100 branches and rakes in minimum N10b annually). Dentists will rely on occasional big-hitters which is often beyond the scope of most private dental practices (most surgical cases are treated in tertiary hospitals.
5. As far as course content is concerned, the Optometry curriculum closely mirrors that of their Medical Doctor counterparts. I won't dwell much on this here. A simple google search would suffice.
6. The failure rate within and outside Nigeria is huge. In Nigeria, you fail ONE clinical course, you repeat a YEAR! Fail two courses, you repeat TWO years...you get my drift.

My brother currently earns about $4,931/month in the middle-east in a private setting. Tax free.

A dentist (non-consultant) will earns between $5,480 - $7,670/month in the middle-east in private setups. Tax free.

Closing thoughts:

Optometrists earn a bit lower than Dentists overall albeit enjoying a "cleaner" work environment devoid of mouth odor, blood spills, and sundry discharges.

Both Optometry and Dentistry are noble professions in their own right and the success of individuals in each profession depends on how you go about your career (Salary earner vs Private clinic entrepreneur).

Thank you.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by homesteady(m): 12:31am On Jan 09, 2016
originbm:

People that put in for dentistry only want to get near to medicine and change later.They go through dentistry as a short cut so whats ur point....

Does this even make sense? I've always wanted to be a dentist even when I was totally ignorant of how it works like you are.
FYI, it takes a shorter period for a person with BDS to switch to MBBS, than the other way round. Its not like you have seen anyone that did it, but I'm already used to your loquacious claims.

Many people who wanted medicine were given optometry....who is denying that....I told u before-but u probably have amnedia-that optometry starts from 400 level....so a 300 level student of optometry is not yet technically an optometry student...he doesnt even know majority of the lecturers...they are still at the level of pathology and pharmacology ...they dont even know what optometry entails...the dept is structured like that...so it is understandable that if the motivation is not there they leave...200 level is heavily optics oriented....not everyone has the aptitude for that....so it is understandable...but from 400 level they start clinicals and posting and then discover that optometry is not what they thought...they go on posting and see that its incomparable with dentistry in financial remuneration...the only exception are those that have elder siblings in the clinical classes....

Yea Yea... even Agric students don't like changing when they enter 400L..

used to think scientists were capable of logical analysis...u seem to be an exception
When you are stuck u start distracting from the points by making irrelevant analogies...
Are u sure u r even a dental student or are u just daft?
So clinical training in a hospital with instructions,reports ,vivres and sometimes written tests is not a continuation of the academic session...What is classes?What is the difference between a didactic and a clinical training?
Of course for an optometry student,the session is still on.Its even tougher.Go and find out how ophthalmology residency is run.Stop asking me childish questions.
Govt hospitals close by 4pm,privates close by 5 or 6.If your brother comes home before 4p.m,ask him the beer palour he went to...

Is it a holiday? Yes or No? besides who spends only 2 weeks at home?
You must be drunk...has any first semester break been more than 2 weeks...
Y should we not go on break...u spend 1 yr doing anatomy and physiology and biochem....we spend 6 months covering the same thing with the exception of some parts of anatomy....plus optics,psychology,ocular anatomy, biostatistics,computers and calculus(for 200 level)...and u begrudge them 2 weeks..which most optometry students even spend in school trying to cover ....Optometry gives lectures and materials even a day before exam...Everyobe in uniben knows that optometry starts exams first and finish last...sometimes exams take more than a week out of the 2 weeks holidays...

O finally! You have finally admitted that they go on break. So why did you lie initially?
And mind you, we spend 2 sessions doing it and not 1 year, if only we do projects and seminars, we would graduate with Bachelor's in the 3 of them! That would start next or next 2 sets.
I would ask you again, which level are you, so that I can tell you someone I know in your class who goes for holiday during those 2 weeks, because I know my brother and his friends go home grin

Go to health care centre tomorrow,pick up their register and check the department with the highest number of breakdowns....its optometry....
One of your loquacious claims again! When did health center start taking such statistics? So were did you get your information from?
My brother has only gone their once to see a doctor, I have 2 other optometry student in my compound and I've never noticed anyone that was very sick (though one is in 100, but the other in 400L)

Maybe your brother is one of those that arrange student patients because he is afraid of seeing a walk-in patient.

Ermmm... is it a crime to look for student patients? who doesn't do it? You? What's the difference between a walk-in patient and a student patient you brought in?

And then u dont know that there is a second uniben optometry clinic at ekehuan withe 90% patronage from outside...but how would you know?
Stop writing unnecessary speech, how am I not supposed to know? am I not staying in the same house with my brother?

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 8:32am On Jan 09, 2016
homesteady:

Does this even make sense? I've always wanted to be a dentist even when I was totally ignorant of how it works like you are.
FYI, it takes a shorter period for a person with BDS to switch to MBBS, than the other way round. Its not like you have seen anyone that did it, but I'm already used to your loquacious claims.

Useless surmising.I hv two friends in ibadan that did it.It takes three years.Most people in dentistry put in for it because medicine is very competitive.so stop yapping.
Dentistry is not competitive.Last jamb only 303 people put in for dentistry in uniben ,medicine was 7000+,nursing 2000+,pharmacy 2000+...
U hv always wanted to be a dentist,i hv always wanted to be an optometrist...so keep shut....

Yea Yea... even Agric students don't like changing when they enter 400L..[/quote]

As if dentistry is better than Agriculture.....

O finally! You have finally admitted that they go on break. So why did you lie initially?
And mind you, we spend 2 sessions doing it and not 1 year, if only we do projects and seminars, we would graduate with Bachelor's in the 3 of them! That would start next or next 2 sets.
I would ask you again, which level are you, so that I can tell you someone I know in your class who goes for holiday during those 2 weeks, because I know my brother and his friends go home grin [/quote]

If you like spend 2yrs chewing gum thats your own headache...In my time we finished Ramalingam and guyton in one session...half first semester with practicals,half second semester with practicals...thats y in 2013,i met a "scholar" from your dept @ library extension explaining to his fellow colleagues that the reason for optical inversion at retina is due to papillary decussation at the optic chiasmata..."a friend with me called ur scholar and started removing the log from his eyes....
Are you at all a reasoning person?Optometry students dont go on holidays after 400 level till they graduate...
You have holidays after sessions not in between sessions....
Lectures remain in school,clinic remains open,assessment for cases continues.its not even like chtistmas break,becsuse during christmas break every office,clinics included are closed.
500 level clinics run throughout the yr...their is no first semester exam for it...The exam is done at the end of the session!
Clinical students remain in school seein pxts,for the one week or so after first semester exams because optomrtry exams take about 1 week or more of the two weeks....Thats one of the reasons why they dont lock hostels after first semester!Many times 400 level students write their second semester child psychology exams in their 500 level because of exigiency in time and the need to start clinical posting!

Only ur btother closes from posting b4 4pm
Only ur brother arranges patients
Only your brother is a clinical optonetry student that goes on holiday after first semester....(except ur home is at uselu market or GRA in Benin,afterall people go to school from home)
Only ur brother is an optometry student who couldnt teach his younger one what his dept entails....
I salute ur brother....

One of your loquacious claims again! When did health center start taking such statistics? So were did you get your information from?
My brother has only gone their once to see a doctor, I have 2 other optometry student in my compound and I've never noticed anyone that was very sick (though one is in 100, but the other in 400L)

Since you are incapable of reasoning let me break it down for u like abc....
Go to health centre
On the reception there is a long note where students enter their names and department before seeing clinicians...
Pick it up and go through the pages.
Check for the dept with the highest number of entries....its not that difficult to do...
Y is simple write up so difficult for you to follow?

Ermmm... is it a crime to look for student patients? who doesn't do it? You? What's the difference between a walk-in patient and a student patient you brought in?[\quote]

In that single statement u have commited both the fallacy of complex question and two wrongs...thats wat u always do...
1.Its a clinical offence...Some lecturers will punish for that...Except its a clear pathological case and u want the lecturer to handle it specifically...
2.I thought the reason dhould be obvious to you...Spot on diagnosis is different from a diagnosis u start from outside the clinic...wen u bring in a patient,there is every possibility that you are already acquainted with the patient's chief complaint,problems and mannerisms that might give you a hard time during patient assessment....
3.For a walk-in,you are not acquainted with him or her...Everything is on the spot...so its much harder...
4.Some students start dodging wen some kind of cases present especially when some lecturers are their supervisors....they prefer to go look for simpke cases outside...
5.I dont have to answer your question whether i do it or not...

Stop writing unnecessary speech, how am I not supposed to know? am I not staying in the same house with my brother?[/quote]

You know and yet u r asking me who the clinical students see during the break...U see your life?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 10:59am On Jan 09, 2016
originbm:

Hungry man is showing me a picture of white kid...
U r shouting braces,hw many braces do you do here in Nigeria.....
I know many dental clinics in Benin that are like cemetary....nothing!
Go to a place like Faith hospital and check their dental vs eye dept....
There dental dept is always as dry as anything.....
Our last cadaver was in our 200 level gross anatomy...
In the residency training of an opthalmologist do they use cadavers?

U WANT TO OPEN A DENTAL CLINIC BECAUSE OF A BRACE U WILL SEE ONCE IN TEN YRS.....HUNGER GO KILL YOU O.

Dentistry is not lucrative, chikena!

Dentistry in uniben go on holidays unlike optometry....
If ur brother were in optometry u would know that holidays for an optometry student ends after 300 level....
If u want to know whether they read it in detail challenge an optometry student on any of the courses.....

Why will i stay in govt employ if i can make 10 times more than what they are paying.....
How many ophthalmologists work in govt hospitals....very few in case u dont.....
Eye care is not like pulling teeth....

An optometrist diagnoses every ocular condition
Treats with drugs ,optical and functional therapy
Refers for surgical proceedures here in nigeria
Treats systemic manifestation of ocular conditions....

The former deputy provost of College of meficine and the substantive Vice Chancellor of Abia state university is an Optometrist
The Vice Chancellor of Plateau state university is an optometrist......

WHEN WE TALKING OF LUCRATIVENESS,DENTRISTRY WILL NEVER MEASURE UP TO OPTONETRY OR PHARMACY...

In Benin City which dental clinic is as big as Mayos eye clinic or Prime eye care.....
Na jazzz dentistry wan use....
Most peopke in dentistry couldnt get medicine,so y are u raising the point....

U want me to star showing u pictures of paediatric exotropes and esotropes from Kanski to show u cases...thats childish

Cry from today to 2mao

DENTISTRY IS SURVIVING ON MEFICINE'S LEFTOVERS....THEY ARE HUNGRY.

How many attends private eye clinics in Nigeria? Like I had said earlier your views won't change the fact that dentistry is far better.It is constant.I would always prefer to see a specialist.. Most eye clinics are even own by these specialists...another fact: Dentistry was 67 last year and not 60.your hatred for it doesn't warrants lies.Why do you think Its hard to secure internship placement as an optometrist? It because you're no where different from Dental technologists e.t.c you're at the lower end of the ladder.Accept and move on...Everyone is not tied to the clinic setting like you.I have so many other plans.private clinics are not even lucrative to my assessment.you'll only be comfortable.And the last time I check you cant be given Dentistry as a subtitute for medicine.. but 90% of those that are in optometry actually went for medicine...Thank God dentists easily secure place for internship. thank God they have a solid residency program which makes them consultants ..Thank God they are #1 in their trade'No one can displace them'.thank God they earn from conmess which makes their salary and allowances higher. thank God they are surgeons hence members of NMA 'the bosses in the health sector'.the prestige and fame are enough.Life is not all about money!money!Thank God they can be CMDs.Not everyone can be cmds but anybody can be a vice Chancellor.. thank God!!

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by homesteady(m): 11:55am On Jan 09, 2016
originbm:

Useless surmising.I hv two friends in ibadan that did it.It takes three years.Most people in dentistry put in for it because medicine is very competitive.so stop yapping.
Dentistry is not competitive.Last jamb only 303 people put in for dentistry in uniben ,medicine was 7000+,nursing 2000+,pharmacy 2000+...
U hv always wanted to be a dentist,i hv always wanted to be an optometrist...so keep shut....
You don't have optometry figures? grin Or you did not put it because you know the number is also very few? Apart from those 3 you mentioned and maybe Med Lab, all other medical related courses get few applicants!

You have been cooking up lies to back your arguments, so I'm no longer surprised! Your Phantom friends spent 3 years? lol! It takes less than 2 years, either 18 or 20 months!

As if dentistry is better than Agriculture.....
Unnecessary rant.

If you like spend 2yrs chewing gum thats your own headache...In my time we finished Ramalingam and guyton in one session...half first semester with practicals,half second semester with practicals...thats y in 2013,i met a "scholar" from your dept @ library extension explaining to his fellow colleagues that the reason for optical inversion at retina is due to papillary decussation at the optic chiasmata..."a friend with me called ur scholar and started removing the log from his eyes....

So Dentistry students go about with dentistry tags written all over their body?
You are a pathetic liar.

Are you at all a reasoning person?Optometry students dont go on holidays after 400 level till they graduate...
You have holidays after sessions not in between sessions....
Lectures remain in school,clinic remains open,assessment for cases continues.its not even like chtistmas break,becsuse during christmas break every office,clinics included are closed.
500 level clinics run throughout the yr...their is no first semester exam for it...The exam is done at the end of the session!
Clinical students remain in school seein pxts,for the one week or so after first semester exams because optomrtry exams take about 1 week or more of the two weeks....Thats one of the reasons why they dont lock hostels after first semester!Many times 400 level students write their second semester child psychology exams in their 500 level because of exigiency in time and the need to start clinical posting!

So you don't only formulate fake figures and statistics, you also change meaning of words from the worldwide definition to yours? Wow! Originbm has given Holiday a new meaning.
Why are you not answering my request for your level? are you afraid I'll burst all this your claims?

Only ur btother closes from posting b4 4pm
Only ur brother arranges patients
Only your brother is a clinical optonetry student that goes on holiday after first semester....(except ur home is at uselu market or GRA in Benin,afterall people go to school from home)
Only ur brother is an optometry student who couldnt teach his younger one what his dept entails....
I salute ur brother....
There is a 400L girl in my compound, when I go back to school, I would ask her if she won't go on holiday grin I know all my brother friends go sha!

Since you are incapable of reasoning let me break it down for u like abc....
Go to health centre
On the reception there is a long note where students enter their names and department before seeing clinicians...
Pick it up and go through the pages.
Check for the dept with the highest number of entries....its not that difficult to do...
Y is simple write up so difficult for you to follow?
I know you reason like a never-do-well thug, but C'mon, this is an all time low on your reasoning faculty. Who goes to a clinic to ask for their register? Am I a policeman? do I have a search warrant from a judge?
Or better still, help me to do it.

In that single statement u have commited both the fallacy of complex question and two wrongs...thats wat u always do...
1.Its a clinical offence...Some lecturers will punish for that...Except its a clear pathological case and u want the lecturer to handle it specifically...
2.I thought the reason dhould be obvious to you...Spot on diagnosis is different from a diagnosis u start from outside the clinic...wen u bring in a patient,there is every possibility that you are already acquainted with the patient's chief complaint,problems and mannerisms that might give you a hard time during patient assessment....
3.For a walk-in,you are not acquainted with him or her...Everything is on the spot...so its much harder...
4.Some students start dodging wen some kind of cases present especially when some lecturers are their supervisors....they prefer to go look for simpke cases outside...
5.I dont have to answer your question whether i do it or not...

Na wa oh! gringrin Oga, even in dentistry, it is done! If you don't do it how would you reach your target of about 15 or so patients? You think I don't know that they even pay for some of their patient's card?
See, we are not into any competition, you don't need to lie to me.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by homesteady(m): 12:09pm On Jan 09, 2016
Drdonzeez:
How many attends private eye clinics in Nigeria? Like I had said earlier your views won't change the fact that dentistry is far better.It is constant.I would always prefer to see a specialist.. Most eye clinics are even own by these specialists...another fact: Dentistry was 67 last year and not 60.your hatred for it doesn't warrants lies.Why do you think Its hard to secure internship placement as an optometrist? It because you're no where different from Dental technologists e.t.c you're at the lower end of the ladder.Accept and move on...Everyone is not tied to the clinic setting like you.I have so many other plans.private clinics are not even lucrative to my assessment.you'll only be comfortable.And the last time I check you cant be given Dentistry as a subtitute for medicine.. but 90% of those that are in optometry actually went for medicine...Thank God dentists easily secure place for internship. thank God they have a solid residency program which makes them consultants ..Thank God they are #1 in their trade'No one can displace them'.thank God they earn from conmess which makes their salary and allowances higher. thank God they are surgeons hence members of NMA 'the bosses in the health sector'.the prestige and fame are enough.Life is not all about money!money!Thank God they can be CMDs.Not everyone can be cmds but anybody can be a vice Chancellor.. thank God!!

The way he is talking about this private clinic issue is making it look like every optometrist would have one and they all make billions from it.
I don't even know any private eye clinic in were I'm staying. The only one I knew packed up when First Bank stopped their health insurance deal with them. The owner was and is still working in the teaching hospital, he was the one that helped my brother to get a space there to do his Solo practice.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by monex(m): 12:26am On Jan 10, 2016
Cmanforall:

I know about optometrists...
Yes, they get lucky sometimes and retained after NYSC. Some places(especially Northern Nigeria) take them as medical Doctors because of the 'Dr' attached to their person, and most of them make maximum use of this to treat other ailments outside their eye region.

One came to a hospital(to meet a Med. Dr.) to seek some training in clinical skills(like a Med. Doctor) and diagnosis to aid him during NYSC and afterwards. This is because of the ongoing trend of Optometrists practicing as Med. Drs when posted to some regions of the country.

The advantage you can have as an Optometrist is to travel to Saudi Arabia. Yes, their government come to Nigeria annually to recruit Optometrists. I have many friends there in Saudi Arabia. It is in such case you can say Optometry is lucrative.

Another way they can make it is working in already established firms.

just say they are ODs not MDs.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by monex(m): 12:28am On Jan 10, 2016
ugou:

Why not read medicine. Don't waste your years there after reading it and you become fustrated when you are shown your portfolio at work. Please do well to follow the news on the goings on in the Nigeria health sector. [b]An optpmetrist according to standard international practice is one who studies on how to refract lenses (glasses) [/b]while an opthalmologist who is a specialist doctor in the eye (gotton after first becoming a medical doctor and spending futher years training on the eye) is far more superior in the sense that they operate on the eye, prescibe eye drugs and refract lenses. They boss the optometrist in eye hospitals. So think wisely. Actually optometry is diploma course in the UK but na naija arrangement made it a degree course. So I would advise you choose medicine and specialise in the eye if you like eye matters. THANKS
that is an optician. you got it confused.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by monex(m): 12:30am On Jan 10, 2016
Proffdada:
I hope this is helpful

Your sight depends on seeing the right eye doctor at the right time.When it's time to "get your eyes checked," make sure you are seeing the right eye care professional for your needs. Ophthalmologists, optometrists and opticianseach play an important role in providing eye care to consumers. But the levels of training and expertise are quite different for each type of provider. Here's a quick look at the three types of eye care providers:
Ophthalmologist
An ophthalmologist — Eye M.D. — is a medical or osteopathic doctor who specializes in eye and vision care. Ophthalmologists differ from optometrists and opticians in their levels of training and in what they can diagnose and treat. As a medical doctor who has completed college and at least eight years of additional medical training, an ophthalmologist is licensed to practice medicine and surgery. An ophthalmologist diagnoses and treats all eye diseases, performs eye surgery and prescribes and fits eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision problems. Many ophthalmologists are also involved in scientific research on the causes and cures for eye diseases and vision disorders.Subspecialists: additional knowledge and training for specific eye needsWhile ophthalmologists are trained to care for all eye problems and conditions, some Eye M.D.s specialize in a specific area of medical or surgical eye care. This person is called asubspecialist. He or she usually completes one or two years of additional, more in-depth training called a fellowship inone of the mainsubspecialty areassuch as glaucoma, retina, cornea, pediatrics, neurology and plastic surgery, as well as others. This added training and knowledge prepares an ophthalmologist take care of more complex or specific conditions in certain areas of the eye or in certain groups of patients.
Optometrist
Optometrists are healthcare professionals who provide primary vision care ranging from sight testing and correction to the diagnosis, treatment, and management of vision changes. An optometrist is not a medical doctor. An optometrist receives a doctor of optometry (OD) degree after completing four years of optometry school, preceded by three years or more years of college. They are licensed to practice optometry, which primarily involves performing eye exams and vision tests, prescribing and dispensing corrective lenses,detecting certain eye abnormalities, and prescribing medications for certain eye diseases.
Optician
Opticians are technicians trained to design, verify and fit eyeglass lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other devices to correct eyesight. They use prescriptions supplied by ophthalmologists, who are medical doctors and surgeons or optometrists, but do not test vision or write prescriptions for visual correction. Opticians are not permitted to diagnose or treat eye diseases.Safeguard your vision. See the right eye careprofessional at the right time.We all depend on our vision in more ways that we may realize. Without healthy vision, our ability to work, play, drive or even recognize a face can be drastically affected. Many factors can affect our eyesight, including other health problems such as high blood pressure ordiabetes. Having a family member with eye disease can make you more prone to having that condition as well. Sight-stealing eye disease can appear at any time. Very often they are unnoticeableat first and are difficult to detect.That's why it is so important to see an ophthalmologist for a complete medical eye exam by age 40, and then as often as prescribed by yourEye M.D.Following are just some of thesignsor risk factors for eye disease. If you have any of these, be sure to visit an ophthalmologist. A complete, medical eye exam by an Eye M.D. could be the first step toward saving your sight.
*.Bulging of one or both eyes;
*.Dark curtain or veil that blocks your vision;
*.Decreased vision, even if temporary;
*.Diabetes mellitus;
*.Distorted vision;
*.Double vision;
*.Excess tearing;
*.Eyelid abnormalities;
*.Family history of eye disease;
*.Halos (colored circles around lights);
*.High blood pressure;
*.HIV or AIDS;
*.Injury to the eye;
*.Loss of peripheral (side) vision;
*.Misaligned eyes;
*.New floaters (black "strings" or specks in the vision) and/or flashes of light;
*.Pain in the eye;
*.Thyroid disease-related eye problems (Graves' disease);
*.Unusual red eye.
© 2011 American Academy of Ophthalmology
correct. note that this is from an Opthamology council
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 8:18pm On Jan 10, 2016
[quote author=homesteady post=41809397]
You don't have optometry figures? grin Or you did not put it because you know the number is also very few? Apart from those 3 you mentioned and maybe Med Lab, all other medical related courses get few applicants! [\quote]

Cant u follow a line of arguement...or is it too much for your head?
You started mudslinging optometry and i pulled up statistics to show you that dentistry is not competitive at all and u r yapping...good to know that u understand that dentistry is not competitive and the fact that it is under the the same regulatory board as medicine has not made it so...
U know what they say....if you live in a glass house dont throw stones.

You have been cooking up lies to back your arguments, so I'm no longer surprised! Your Phantom friends spent 3 years? lol! It takes less than 2 years, either 18 or 20 months!

The guy is my friend so shut the fk up....He wanted to do cardiology...so he spent three yrs plus 6yrs in cardiology residency making it 9 yrs...u want to tell me wat i know?

Unnecessary rant.

So Dentistry students go about with dentistry tags written all over their body?
You are a pathetic liar. [\quote]

You are the conceited mor*on ....we introduced ourselves (they were 4 of them)and from that day the guy goes out of his way to say hi whenever we meet...not everyone is a proud ignoramus like you....i have noticed that those with empty heads make the greatest noise.....

So you don't only formulate fake figures and statistics, you also change meaning of words from the worldwide definition to yours? Wow! Originbm has given Holiday a new meaning.
Why are you not answering my request for your level? are you afraid I'll burst all this your claims?[\quote]

U think everyone on everyone is a hungry dental student like urself....because internet has made us faceless and equals...u want me to dignify ur inanities and endless fallacies by getting personal?
I am not impressed by ur method of ratiocination...till u improve we'll keep it the way it is...
After 300 level,optometry students no more go on holidays till they graduate....its a known fact...

There is a 400L girl in my compound, when I go back to school, I would ask her if she won't go on holiday grin I know all my brother friends go sha![\quote]

Do that.....by the way sometimes u speak like someone mature ,sometimes u talk like a toddler....are u sure its the same person typing all these things...

I know you reason like a never-do-well thug, but C'mon, this is an all time low on your reasoning faculty. Who goes to a clinic to ask for their register? Am I a policeman? do I have a search warrant from a judge?
Or better still, help me to do it.[\quote]

Another example of kid talk....I have done it....if u desire the truth,u can go check...get their ,the register is at the front desk...u xan tell them u r working on a project etc...even a dullard like u should be able to that....no be ur mate dey cia and kgb?

Na wa oh! gringrin Oga, even in dentistry, it is done! If you don't do it how would you reach your target of about 15 or so patients? You think I don't know that they even pay for some of their patient's card?
See, we are not into any competition, you don't need to lie to me.[\quote]

I never paid 10 kobo for any patient...most people pay because they want to control every parameters in their clinical practice....they dont want suprises...many guys dodge pxs....some may solicit to make up but most do it to avoid complex cases that may present...for e.g only few students will agree to handle a paediatric or geriatric case....y spend time on one px that u can spend on three...so the solution is,go out find a px with simple myopia and run away from troubles.....
Of course we are not into competition.....i used to respect dental students till i met u....maybe u r not even in dentistry...
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 9:24pm On Jan 10, 2016
Drdonzeez:
How many attends private eye clinics in Nigeria?[\quote]

You are clearly ignorant.Over 80% of eye pxs go to private clinics.More than 70% of ophthalmologists are in private practice.So dont say what u dont know.
Eye care is not dentistry....in Nigeria no one will patronize a private dental clinic...
Private eye csre practice in Nigeria is a money spinner...
Even an optician lab earns more than a dental clinic in Nigeria...take Benin city as a case in hand....not to talk of an eye clinic...

Like I had said earlier your views won't change the fact that dentistry is far better.It is constant.I would always prefer to see a specialist..[\quote]

Keep deluding yourself....Despite the fact that ur board is so concerned that u guys will end up hungry and therefore take only 25 per class, yet ur course is still not lucrative.
All ur rantings here is because medicine pass u handouts after politics...can u stand alone as a profession...
Despite the battle against optometry by the 'almighty medicine' they are still standing tall and strong...dentistry that has been carried along like a puppy still cannot survive on its own...who visits a dental clinic in Nigeria....olodo

Most eye clinics are even own by these specialists...[\quote]
70% of eye clinics in Nigeria are owned by optometrists...from Abuja,to Lagos ,to Porthacourt....Unique eye care,the largest is oened by an optometrist...

Panother fact: Dentistry was 67 last year and not 60.your hatred for it doesn't warrants lies.[\quote]

Nonesense...The cut off was 60.People only put dentistry in putme because they saw medicine was a no go area due to competition....
During jamb only 303 people put in for dentistry....deal with that!

Why do you think Its hard to secure internship placement as an optometrist? It because you're no where different from Dental technologists e.t.c you're at the lower end of the ladder.Accept and move on...[\quote]

No its because optometry refused to join medicine when they were approached.I hope they taught u that in Community medicine....Its because optometry refused that ophthalmologists would be members of ODORBBN....its because optometry refused to sunmit to the cabal of medicine..Its because medicine said that optometry cannot just start enjoying what they fought yrs to get without any allegiance to them...Optometry chose to maintain their autonomy despite every pressure...Dentistry hv been paying for their allegiance in their own ways...ln Owerre,2002,during the state's dental day,the key speech was delivered by a cardiologist who told a dentist to help him write it!No one uttered a word...

Everyone is not tied to the clinic setting like you.I have so many other plans.private clinics are not even lucrative to my assessment.you'll only be comfortable.

Speak for dentistry not optometry...Many optometrists are rich...Eye clinic is a money spinner...Dentistry is impoverished in Nigeria....Abroad they make very good money in private practice,but in Nigeria,nothing...an optician lab will even make mord money than them not to dpeak of an eye cljnic....

And the last time I check you cant be given Dentistry as a subtitute for medicine.. but 90% of those that are in optometry actually went for medicine...[\quote]

Dentistry is a substitute for medicine...If optometry takes 150 in a class,about 100 put in for medicine and 50 put in for optometry.
Dentistry takes only 25 and u r here spewing thrash....If optometry were to take only 25 like dentistry,no one who didnt put optometry would be given the course...The day dentistry takes 100 students,90% will be from medicine...Dentistry is under the same board as medicine,yet while medicine has 7000+ applicants in jamb,dentistry has only 303...despite the fact that u are basking under the glory of the most predigious course in sciences,yet u are invisible...what if u were not under them?You guys would have been extinct by now...dentistry would have been studied only in polytechnics in nigeria....

Thank God dentists easily secure place for internship. [\quote]

Thank God that medicine made that possible for you parasites....

thank God they have a solid residency program which makes them consultants ..[\quote]

Again thank God that medicine gave u that...Forget about "solid"
The only difference between ur residency programme is that for now,optometry consultants are not allowed to consult in govt tertiary institutions because of professional politics...
Optometry has its own residency programmes that lead to FAAO, and FNCO.

Thank God they are #1 in their trade'No one can displace them'.thank God they earn from conmess which makes their salary and allowances higher. thank God they are surgeons hence members of NMA 'the bosses in the health sector'.the prestige and fame are enough.Life is not all about money!money!Thank God they can be CMDs.Not everyone can be cmds but anybody can be a vice Chancellor.. thank God!![/quote]

Go through,everything u listed...dentistry is like child jumping on medicine's back....dentistry is just a proof of meficine's power to give any profession leverage if she so wishes...
Let the market speak for itself....u guys are wasting nigeria's tax on a profession that is unappreciated...u are alpha and onega yet your practices are like deserts
The structure of Nigerian politics is benefitting ur profession in the public sector...but thats where urs end.
U r useless outside that area,while medicine pulls their weight in both sectors...

Life is not all about money yet in 2008 when optometry was earning exactly same as medicine they went back to negotiate a conmess/conhess salary structure....
Keep decieving yourself....

My friend dentistry is a cosmetically dressed profession financially dry like a pressing iron...
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 9:38pm On Jan 10, 2016
homesteady:

The way he is talking about this private clinic issue is making it look like every optometrist would have one and they all make billions from it.
I don't even know any private eye clinic in were I'm staying. The only one I knew packed up when First Bank stopped their health insurance deal with them. The owner was and is still working in the teaching hospital, he was the one that helped my brother to get a space there to do his Solo practice.

If u r blind enough to compare optometry with dentistry,then u r blind enough not see an optometry clinic when u see one...
I dont know ur guy...thats his issue...u love inductive reasoning...
Nothing touches the fact that an optician lab in new benin is busier than most dental clinics in Benin city.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 12:11am On Jan 11, 2016
originbm:

If u r blind enough to compare optometry with dentistry,then u r blind enough not see an optometry clinic when u see one...
I dont know ur guy...thats his issue...u love inductive reasoning...
Nothing touches the fact that an optician lab in new benin is busier than most dental clinics in Benin city.
Dentistry can not be separated from medicine.hence,MDCN..you always making reference to medicine only depicts inferiority complex...so stop wailing!If you had met people like us before now, you would have gone for Dental surgery..you were only not informed...Like I would always say,I have many other plans..If you don't know before now, Dental surgery is one of the most patronised surgeries in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 12:25am On Jan 11, 2016
originbm:

Speak for dentistry not optometry...Many optometrists are rich...Eye clinic is a money spinner...Dentistry is impoverished in Nigeria....Abroad they make very good money in private practice,but in Nigeria,nothing...an optician lab will even make mord money than them not to dpeak of an eye cljnic....

And the last time I check you cant be given Dentistry as a subtitute for medicine.. but 90% of those that are in optometry actually went for medicine...[\quote]

Dentistry is a substitute for medicine...If optometry takes 150 in a class,about 100 put in for medicine and 50 put in for optometry.
Dentistry takes only 25 and u r here spewing thrash....If optometry were to take only 25 like dentistry,no one who didnt put optometry would be given the course...The day dentistry takes 100 students,90% will be from medicine...Dentistry is under the same board as medicine,yet while medicine has 7000+ applicants in jamb,dentistry has only 303...despite the fact that u are basking under the glory of the most predigious course in sciences,yet u are invisible...what if u were not under them?You guys would have been extinct by now...dentistry would have been studied only in polytechnics in nigeria....

Thank God dentists easily secure place for internship. [\quote]

Thank God that medicine made that possible for you parasites....

thank God they have a solid residency program which makes them consultants ..[\quote]

Again thank God that medicine gave u that...Forget about "solid"
The only difference between ur residency programme is that for now,optometry consultants are not allowed to consult in govt tertiary institutions because of professional politics...
Optometry has its own residency programmes that lead to FAAO, and FNCO.

Thank God they are #1 in their trade'No one can displace them'.thank God they earn from conmess which makes their salary and allowances higher. thank God they are surgeons hence members of NMA 'the bosses in the health sector'.the prestige and fame are enough.Life is not all about money!money!Thank God they can be CMDs.Not everyone can be cmds but anybody can be a vice Chancellor.. thank God!!

Go through,everything u listed...dentistry is like child jumping on medicine's back....dentistry is just a proof of meficine's power to give any profession leverage if she so wishes...
Let the market speak for itself....u guys are wasting nigeria's tax on a profession that is unappreciated...u are alpha and onega yet your practices are like deserts
The structure of Nigerian politics is benefitting ur profession in the public sector...but thats where urs end.
U r useless outside that area,while medicine pulls their weight in both sectors...

Life is not all about money yet in 2008 when optometry was earning exactly same as medicine they went back to negotiate a conmess/conhess salary structure....
Keep decieving yourself....

My friend dentistry is a cosmetically dressed profession financially dry like a pressing iron...

Keep formulating false figures...whether you like it or not...physicians and Dental surgeons earn the equal recognition in Nigeria..this act has been established since time immemorial.. Stop being jealous..it won't help you.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 6:30pm On Jan 11, 2016
awolam:

[/url]
4. In a private clinic setting, Optometrists earn far more than Dentists due to the sheer volume and lucrativeness of eyecare. It is for this reason you often see optical retail chain behemoths in United States, Canada, Australia, U.K and the middle-east. The one my brother works in (Middle-East has about 100 branches and rakes in minimum N10b annually). Dentists will rely on occasional big-hitters which is often beyond the scope of most private dental practices (most surgical cases are treated in tertiary hospitals.

Closing thoughts:

Thank you.

what a nice research! kudos to you.But let me make this known.We all are aware of the fact that Nigeria as a nation operates a capitalist economy I.e most institutions and enterprises are solely owned by either the federal, the state or the local governments unlike the developed nations of the world. From this analogy,we can only based our arguments on government's parastastals.I believe some of us are aware of the fact that in clinical settings in Nigeria, there are two salary structures assigned for all health proffessionals which are CONMESS mearnt for medical and Dental doctors and CONHESS which is mearnt for all other health professionals.. From the structures , medical and Dental Doctors distinctly earn more than all other health professionals.Its an undebatable fact.But when it comes to the private settings,salaries/wages or incomes are quite variable depending on the locations,residents of such areas and one's entrepreneurship prowess. This implies that a Dentist in location A may earn higher than an optometrist in location B..an optometrist in location C may earn higher than a Dentist in Location D..It all boils down on one's interest.. For the fact that some dental students wanted medicine doesn't mean everyone wanted it.. Some prefer Dentistry to the core:a friend of mine is a perfect example;he's got bsc in biochemistry,he later enrolled for Dentistry.One thing I noticed is that Nigerians chase popularity.the number of applicants of Dentistry ,optometry et al every yeat doesn't reflect on their Lucrative nature . same applies to optometry..The NMA/ JOHESU tussles should come to an end in our time.

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by HighIQ(m): 1:39pm On Jan 12, 2016
Drdonzeez:
what a nice research! kudos to you.But let me make this known.We all are aware of the fact that Nigeria as a nation operates a capitalist economy I.e most institutions and enterprises are solely owned by either the federal, the state or the local governments unlike the developed nations of the world. From this analogy,we can only based our arguments on government's parastastals.I believe some of us are aware of the fact that in clinical settings in Nigeria, there are two salary structures assigned for all health proffessionals which are CONMESS mearnt for medical and Dental doctors and CONHESS which is mearnt for all other health professionals.. From the structures , medical and Dental Doctors distinctly earn more than all other health professionals.Its an undebatable fact.But when it comes to the private settings,salaries/wages or incomes are quite variable depending on the locations,residents of such areas and one's entrepreneurship prowess. This implies that a Dentist in location A may earn higher than an optometrist in location B..an optometrist in location C may earn higher than a Dentist in Location D..It all boils down on one's interest.. For the fact that some dental students wanted medicine doesn't mean everyone wanted it.. Some prefer Dentistry to the core:a friend of mine is a perfect example;he's got bsc in biochemistry,he later enrolled for Dentistry.One thing I noticed is that Nigerians chase popularity.the number of applicants of Dentistry ,optometry et al every yeat doesn't reflect on their Lucrative nature . same applies to optometry..The NMA/ JOHESU tussles should come to an end in our time.
it is not important a dentist to est a clinic. They mostly get job easily in gov hospitals unlike optometrists.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 3:33am On Jan 20, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Dentistry can not be separated from medicine.hence,MDCN..you always making reference to medicine only depicts inferiority complex...so stop wailing!If you had met people like us before now, you would have gone for Dental surgery..you were only not informed...Like I would always say,I have many other plans..If you don't know before now, Dental surgery is one of the most patronised surgeries in Nigeria.

Am i mad to go for dentistry...i know what dentistry is quite well...and in nigeria it is not lucrative...abroad,i will have to concede that it is...in nigeria teeth care is virtually non existent...
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 2:07pm On Feb 08, 2016
awolam:

[/url]

Closing thoughts:

Thank you.

pls can you give us your source when and where the Dental association approached NMA and how optometrists turned down their offer?you could tell us optometrists refused to join the Ghana Medical association,Kenya medical association et al.and,they all accepted Dental surgeons.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 8:14pm On Feb 08, 2016
favoured234:
More lucrative than dentistry.....
Reason: If teeth pain me, my grandmamma go give me agbo.. But if eye pain me I will not even allow a GP look at the eye cheesy
And If it requires surgery, an optometrist will do it?Dentistry is wider than what you think.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 09, 2016
Drdonzeez:
And If it requires surgery, an optometrist will do it?Dentistry is wider than what you think.

To each his own, I didn't study any of those courses, I studied something that people will refer to as lucrative, but if I could take back the hands of time I would have studied agricultural science/animal science

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 9:57am On Feb 09, 2016
favoured234:

To each his own, I didn't study any of those courses, I studied something that people will refer to as lucrative, but if I could take back the hands of time I would have studied agricultural science/animal science
What course did you study?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by originbm: 8:09am On Mar 05, 2016
Drdonzeez:
pls can you give us your source when and where the Dental association approached NMA and how optometrists turned down their offer?you could tell us optometrists refused to join the Ghana Medical association,Kenya medical association et al.and,they all accepted Dental surgeons.

Go to the dept of ophthalmology un ubth and ask for access to the gazzettes documenting optonetry's estabkishment.Orior to 2001,it was a rule that odorbn,the council governing optonetry, must have an ophthalmologist and gmp on its board.They were approached to join tge faculty of medicine but with the option not to give out OD.This is a community health course aspect in optometry.The first batch of Optometric educators were whites from America.They advised against it.They pointed out that optometry's prospect would be better independently.
In many countries of the world,dentists are not under medical schools.In usa for e.g dental schools are different just lije optonetry schools.What u hv under medical school is Doctor of medicine,and Doctor of Osteopathy.
There is nothing special about dentistry performing surgery.In usa,optometrists perform surgery,same as chiropractors.
Talking about Ghana and Kenya Medical association,those guys take their clue from Nigeria just as Nigeria take their clue from Usa.
Nigeria set up the Ghana optometry school.One of our lectures was a former head of dept there.
So what we do is what they would do.
Politics deal with who gets what,when and how.If only ophthalmologists were to go on strike in nigeria,no one would hear of them.Thats y they use residents to press home their demands.

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by rexbuton: 10:45am On Mar 05, 2016
Being recognized or given equal status as MDs doesn't translate to financial rewards. Dentistry is not lucrative in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Lynda1997: 1:21am On Apr 07, 2016
I seriously don't have an issue with dentistry. Men it's a wonderful cause but before God and His angels how many people in Nigeria wear braces ? How many people have issues with a missing tooth? How many patients visit a dental clinic ?In Nigeria, Dentistry is just hiding under the umbrella of medicine. For those talking about optometrists not studying anatomy, physiology and biochemistry , it's not true. Even those studying Nutrition and Dietetics do these basic courses grin. It's just basic pre-med . They are not even special at all. Even physiotherapy De do am very well. Optometry is far more lucrative in Nigeria, trust me. Opt
ometry is an important course because nowadays, eye problems are inevitable because of the level of exposure of the eyes to even the phones we are using. But fashy, dentistry good o. But for NIGER? OPTOMETRY SURE PASS.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Dbrainiac1(m): 10:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
Lynda1997:
I seriously don't have an issue with dentistry. Men it's a wonderful [s]cause[/] course but before God and His angels how many people in Nigeria wear braces ? How many people have issues with a missing tooth? How many patients visit a dental clinic ?
You are so ignorant to notice.
In Nigeria, Dentistry is just hiding under the umbrella of medicine.
Lmao
For those talking about optometrists not studying anatomy, physiology and biochemistry , it's not true. Even those studying Nutrition and Dietetics do these basic courses grin.
Yeah sure.
It's just basic pre-med .
It's not just basic premed, the curriculum for the various courses is different.
They are not even special at all.
shocked
Even physiotherapy De do am very well.
choi, but not as well as medical nd dental students.
Optometry is far more lucrative in Nigeria, trust me. Opt
ometry is an important course because nowadays, eye problems are inevitable because of the level of exposure of the eyes to even the phones we are using. But fashy, dentistry good o. But for NIGER? OPTOMETRY SURE PASS.
Nigerians now na just moni moni... wey the passion?angry

And you... No wonder there's 1997 in your moniker.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 11:46pm On Apr 07, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]
Dbrainiac1:
You are so ignorant to notice. Lmao Yeah sure. It's not just basic premed, the curriculum for the various courses is different. shocked choi, but not as well as medical nd dental students.Nigerians now na just moni moni... wey the passion?angry

And you... No wonder there's 1997 in your moniker.
you don't have to argue with these people.they lack knowledge .I can't ever discern if this originbm is an optometry student or law.optometry is good but its the most backward medical course in Nigeria. It's totally dependent on department of ophthalmology. hence,No department of its own in the hospital.And who says a dentist cannot build a comprehensive hospital with all clinical departments available if he/she doesn't want to think outside the box?
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 12:01am On Apr 08, 2016
Lynda1997:
I seriously don't have an issue with dentistry. Men it's a wonderful cause but before God and His angels how many people in Nigeria wear braces ? How many people have issues with a missing tooth? How many patients visit a dental clinic ?In Nigeria, Dentistry is just hiding under the umbrella of medicine. For those talking about optometrists not studying anatomy, physiology and biochemistry , it's not true. Even those studying Nutrition and Dietetics do these basic courses grin. It's just basic pre-med . They are not even special at all. Even physiotherapy De do am very well. Optometry is far more lucrative in Nigeria, trust me. Opt
It's uncommon seeing a Lady as daft as you. lol,dentistry is hiding under the umbrella of medicine imo.dentistry is only specialty of medicine with other subspecialties..No one is hiding under anyone here..perhaps you should have said o shocked
Lynda1997:
It's uncommon seeing a Lady as daft as you. lol,dentistry is hiding under the umbrella of medicine imo.dentistry is only specialty of medicine with other subspecialties..No one is hiding under anyone here..perhaps you should have said opthalmology is more lucrative than dentistry and not optometry.
Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by 3greatnations: 10:59am On Apr 10, 2016

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY by Drdonzeez(m): 11:11am On Apr 10, 2016
And what's your business with whatever I say or do?[quote author=3greatnations post=44572617][/quote] cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Access Bank Plc Salary Structure: How Much Does Access Bank Pay Staff? / See Where Oil Riggers Live While On Offshore Oil Exploration: Pics & Video / Becky Osagie, A Lady Who Returned From Italy To Become A Vulcanizer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 236
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.