Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Hepatitis B Awareness - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hepatitis B Awareness (3499 Views)

2m Nigerians Living With Hepatitis’ / Chidinma And Oge Okoye At A Cancer Awareness Program In Lagos (Photos) / Body Odour Awareness And Prevention.. Its No Longer Funny This Days!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hepatitis B Awareness by drken33(m): 12:03am On Feb 21, 2015
Hepatitis B is a serious liver disease caused by hepatitis B virus (HBV).
One-third of the world population has been infected with HBV. 350 million people worldwide have chronic HBV infection. In Nigeria ,the prevalence is about 15-40% depending on the state involved.
The chronic form of the disease is said to be a silent killer (disease) because most people with chronic hepatitis B do not know that they have been infected.
1 in 4 people with chronic hepatitis B will die from liver cancer or liver failure.
Thus, effective education, screening, and vaccination are necessary to stop this silent hepatitis B epidemic.
It is said to be 100 times more infectious than HIV.

WORLD HEPATITIS DAY
This is marked on July 28th yearly
This focuses the individual, community groups, clinicians and other supporters to run awareness raising events.

NOTE
HBV is one of the varied causes of hepatitis which include other hepatotrophic viruses (A, C, D, E), EBV, CMV, Drugs (isoniazide, aldomet etc), alcohol amongst others,

SYMPTOMS
HBV damages the liver causing scarring and fibrosis and can lead to liver cancer.
Disease caused by HBV
 Acute hepatitis
 Fulminant hepatitis
 Chronic hepatitis
 Liver cirrhosis
 Liver cancer

ACUTE HEPATITIS B (infection within 6 months)
May have no symptoms, or may have mild flu-like symptoms, including fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dark urine, clay-colored bowel movements, muscle and joint pain, and jaundice (yellow color skin or eyes).Most people recover uneventfully.

CHRONIC HEPATITIS B (infection longer than 6 months)
Usually do not have any symptoms (hence a silent disease) for as long as 20 to 30 years. Chronic hepatitis B may cause liver damage, liver failure, liver cirrhosis (liver scarring), liver cancer, and death.
Most people with chronic hepatitis B were infected at birth or during early childhood.

CIRRHOSIS/LIVER CANCER
This presents with abdominal swelling, abdominal pain, Leg swelling, weight loss, jaundice, bleeding, confusion, coma etc
They are usually very ill.

TRANSMISSION
Hepatitis B can be spread via blood, semen, vaginal fluid, or other body fluid, such as by
 Birth- Mother to child
 Unprotected sex heterosexual/homosexual(MSM)
 Sharing/use of contaminated needles(piercing,tatooing,acupuncture), syringes, razors, toothbrushes
 Needle stick injuries in healthcare settings
 Unsafe blood transfusion /organ transplant
 Direct contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
NOTE
Hepatitis B CANNOT be spread by sharing utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing.

WHO IS AT RISK
 Infants born to infected mothers
 People who have unprotected sex with infected people
 Men who have sex with men (MSM)
 Injection-drug users who share contaminated needle, syringes, or other drug equipments with infected people
 Healthcare workers who are exposed to blood on the job
 Hemodialysis patients
 People born in or who travel to countries with high rates of hepatitis B.Countries in Asia, Pacific Islands, and in southern Africa all have greater than 8% of population infected with chronic hepatitis B.
 People with HIV

LAB TEST
 Blood test to detect the virus
 Liver biopsy
 Abdominal USS amongst others.

TREATMENT

Acute hepatitis B,
There is no specific treatment available, but people should be resting, have adequate nutrition and fluids, and may need to be hospitalized. (Symptomatic treatment).

Chronic hepatitis B
There are approved medications, but not everyone with chronic hepatitis B needs treatment. See your doctor.
Transplant is also a treatment modality.
You should also take care of your liver by avoid drinking alcohol and taking other medications that can further damage the liver including herbal medications.

Abdominal ultrasound scans 6 monthly – to monitor the development of liver cancer

PREVENTION
 Vaccination(Hepatitis B vaccine)
This is the most important method. It is indicated in all infants, children, and adults in high risk group.
3-4 shots administered over a 6month period
Newborn - birth, 1-2 month and 6 month
Adult - 0, 1-2 month and 6 month
 Safe sex-condom/abstinence/be faithful
 Avoid sharing sharps needles, toothbrushes etc
 Avoid alcohol, medications(including herbal) that could further damage the liver
 Prevent perinatal transmission by vaccinating babies at birth
 Bandage /cover all cuts /open wound
 Screening of blood and blood products.
 Use of PPE by healthcare workers-facemask,handgloves etc
 Eat vegetables/fruits in addition to normal CHO/Protein diet

HEPATITIS AND PREGNANCY
70-90% of infants born to HBV positive mothers will be infected.90% of infected infant become chronically infected.
Baby shots for hepatitis B if mother has hepatitis B.
At birth - Hepatitis B vaccine + HBIG
1-2 months - Hepatitis B vaccine
6 months - Hepatitis B vaccine

What do the baby shots do?
These shots help babies’ bodies make antibodies, which protect them from hepatitis B.When an adult or baby has antibodies for hepatitis B, this helps fight off the virus.
A few months after your baby gets H-BIG(hepatitis B immune globulin) and all 3 shots of HBV vaccine, the doctor will do a simple blood test. The test tells you if your baby is making antibodies.

What if my baby does not get these shots?
 Up to 9 out of 10 babies born to infected mothers will end up being carriers for the rest of their lives, if they do not get the shots.
 Babies who end up as carriers have a 1 out of 4 chance of dying from liver problems
 19 out of 20 babies who get the shots will be protected for life!
Can I breast-feed my baby if I have hepatitis B?
YES! If your baby gets a shot called H-BIG(Hepatitis immune globulin) and a shot of hepatitis B vaccine within 12 hours of birth, it is okay for you to start breast-feeding your baby right away. Be sure to take good care of your nipple areas to prevent cracking and bleeding.
REASSURANCE
It is not a death sentence,people may live a normal life and die of old age or unrelated cause.
--DR EMORINKEN KELVIN
emoshealthlounge..com

1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by chrispher1234: 1:10pm On May 02, 2015
(MUST READ: HOW I GOT CURED FROM HEPATITIS B)
I am from Imo state, I want to testify of how i got cured from hepatitis b, I got diagnosed of hepatitis b in 2013 I have visited several hospitals and herbalists but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal spell caster from Ewu Edo state who casts herbal spells to cure all kind of deadly diseases including Hepatitis B, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Ghonorhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal spell caster via his email, he prepared a herbal spell portion and sent it to me via transport service, when i received this herbal spell portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 3days, I am now fee from Hepatitis B. All thanks to Dr Aziza. Contact this great herbal spell caster via his email azizahealingtemple@gmail.com for cure to any kind of diseases. Goodluck
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by drken33(m): 2:21am On Jun 01, 2015
chrispher1234:
(MUST READ: HOW I GOT CURED FROM HEPATITIS B)
I am from Imo state, I want to testify of how i got cured from hepatitis b, I got diagnosed of hepatitis b in 2013 I have visited several hospitals and herbalists but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal spell caster from Ewu Edo state who casts herbal spells to cure all kind of deadly diseases including Hepatitis B, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Ghonorhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal spell caster via his email, he prepared a herbal spell portion and sent it to me via transport service, when i received this herbal spell portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 3days, I am now fee from Hepatitis B. All thanks to Dr Aziza. Contact this great herbal spell caster via his email azizahealingtemple@gmail.com for cure to any kind of diseases. Goodluck

sorry to say,its ignorance to say one herbal spell will just cure so many diseases;things dont work that way.If you must know,hepatitis B can be acute or chronic and the acute cases may clear on their own without therapy.on the other hand if it does not clear,after about 6 months ,it becomes chronic hepatitis,So telling us your hepatitis B cleared is nothing spectacular,its just following the natural history of the disease.what baffles me is when we begin to attribute success to some herbal stuff,when in actual fact such success can happen on their own without any form of therapy.this is an age of info tech;evidence based medicine and information flying around all over;yet you want to bamboozle us with a herbal spell curing all illness,all in the name of promoting it.
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 1:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
A new drug has been developed and has been used effectively in the treatment of viral Hepatitis. It is known as Hepantivir. It is a herbal extract, it is safe and very effective. Trinity Health Care Limited, Idinmu, Lagos has used this medication effectively for the treatment of chronic hepatitis with very amazing outcome.
If you know, you have been diagnosed of hepatitis, you may wish to contact Trinity Health Care at idinmu, Lagos. Or call the care representative on +2349031652000, +2348028791004. You can also send an email to info@trinityhealthstores.com.

Please remember, hepatitis can be fatal. So get tested, if you are negative then get vaccinated but if you are infected already get treated early cos early detection is the key to curing it
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 8:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
Trinity healthcare is determined to care for those living with Hepatitis B&C. if you are on this thread, the following information may be very important to you or your love ones. If you are living with hepatitis B, you have to ensure that all those living with you are vaccinated. if you are positive to the virus and you are pregnant, be sure to administer Hepatitis B Immunoglobulin to your baby on the day of birth, this will serve as a post exposure prophylaxis to prevent the newborn from contacting the virus from the mother. After weaning the baby, you can immediately commence a treatment plan for Hepatitis B. Here, a specific antiviral drug like Hepantivir may be very useful. Be careful to monitor the newborn for HbSAg. If you are not infected with Hepatitis virus, please hurry and get vaccinated, it is the only insurance policy against the virus. In addition, avoid any activity that will lead to exchange of body fluids including blood, semen, sweat with others. Essentially, the prevention of Hepatitis B is key to an Hepatitis-free society. For further enquiries, contact Trinity Health care on 09031652000, 08028791004 or send an email to healthcaretrinity1@gmail.com.
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2017
With the increase in the cases of Hepatitis in Nigeria, Trinity Health Care is determined to increase awareness of Nigerians to this deadly disease with regards to Prevention, Testing and Treatment for Hepatitis B & C.
Hepatitis which is the inflammation of the Liver caused by viral and non viral agent remains one of the deadliest viral disease known to man.

Vaccination against the virus remains the only insurance policy against Hepatitis.
Currently we have vaccines for hepatitis B. You can obtain that in any Primary Health Center nearest to you.
Getting tested is the only way to determine one's status and everyone not vaccinated is at risk.

At the moment, Hepantivir is the only known drug that can clear hepatitis B virus from the system.
Hepatitis C can also be treated too.

However, prevention is better and remains cheaper than cure.

For further enquiries, contact Trinity Health Care, Idinmu, Lagos. Or call 09031652000, 08028791004

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2017
In order to win the war against viral Hepatitis, Trinity Health Care Limited has introduce a new Directly Acting Antiviral medication Securinine 200mg for the treatment of Hepatitis B.
It is recommended that this medication be used at the immune clearance Phase of the viral infection in order to completely eliminate the virus and prevent liver damage. It has to be used for about 6 to 8 months for complete clearance. Securinine 200mg has proven to be very effective in the treatment of Hepatitis B.
In addition, Hepatitis C treatment has been highly successful with a good number of patients recovering after a 4 month treatment.

Like hepatitis B, Hepatitis C treatment is only recommended after 6 months post infection. This is because the body reserves the inert ability to fight and eliminate these viruses within the first 6 months after infection (acute phase). After this phase, DAA medications may be required to eliminate the viruses.
Talk to your Gastroenterologist if you are infected or at risk of hepatitis B or C infection.

Remember you can only know your status if you have tested. so get tested and if you are negative, get vaccinated but if you are infected already, then get treated early

For further enquiries, please contact Trinity Health Care Limited at Idinmu, Lagos or call 08028791004. You can also email us at healthcaretrinity1@gmail.com.
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 11:56am On Jul 31, 2017
Hepatitis B is fast becoming a Serious health menace in Nigeria and the most recent reports show that an estimated 11million Nigerians are currently infected with Hepatitis B. Over 250,000 new infections are recorded yearly in Nigeria.
The only insurance policy against Hepatitis B is vaccination. Every Nigerian needs to be vaccinated against this Virus.

To vaccinate members of your Organization or group for as low as N1,500 per person contact Trinity Healthcare on info@trinityhealthstores.com or 15 Kushimo street, Itire, Lagos state. You can call us on 08028791004 or 09031652000
Re: Hepatitis B Awareness by trinityhealth: 2:56pm On Aug 03, 2017
Do you wish to vaccinate all members of staff of your Organization be it an industry, a bank, Church or Association? Then Trinity Healthcare Foundation is your best partner. With as low as N1,500 per individual, we can administer the 3 course vaccination to every member of your Organization.

Take advantage of this great offer and protect your employees or colleagues from this deadly, fast spreading disease called Hepatitis B.

For Vaccination booking or further enquiries please contact us through info@trinityhealthcarefoundation.org or call 08028791004, 0903165200. You can also visit us at Kushimo Street, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Steroids In Nigeria And How Much?.. / What Is Wrong With Me / Which way Is The Best To Poop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.