Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Change Of Name International Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Change Of Name International Passport (36521 Views)

Nigeria To Extend International Passport Validity To 10 Years / Change Of Name On International Passport / a (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Name International Passport by Neelzar(f): 10:18am On Feb 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

Please I need some info on change of name for international passport. I renewed my passport in Feb 2014 and will expire in Feb 2019. I got married in January 2015 and I want to do a name change in March. Will the dates still remain the same (Feb 2011-Feb 2019) when I change my name or will the new issue date be March 2015? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Neelzar
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by justwise(m): 10:22am On Feb 21, 2015
Neelzar:
Hi everyone,

Please I need some info on change of name for international passport. I renewed my passport in Feb 2014 and will expire in Feb 2019. I got married in January 2015 and I want to do a name change in March. Will the dates still remain the same (Feb 2011-Feb 2019) when I change my name or will the new issue date be March 2015? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Neelzar

Nothing will change apart from your name. duration or passport number will not change.

1 Like

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by tlk2Prince(m): 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2015
And it can ONLY be done @ NIS HeadQtrs Abuja!!!

2 Likes

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by blank(f): 9:07am On Feb 22, 2015
justwise:

Nothing will change apart from your name. duration or passport number will not change.

Haba, that is not so. I did a name change and they issued me a new passport with different passport number and expiry date.

2 Likes

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by justwise(m): 9:39am On Feb 22, 2015
blank:

Haba, that is not so. I did a name change and they issued me a new passport with different passport number and expiry date.

That is a mistake on their part then, the only time your passport number and expiry change is when renewing. Then again we are talking about Nigeria here, a friend had different experience here.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by blank(f): 12:40pm On Feb 22, 2015
justwise:

That is a mistake on their part then, the only time your passport number and expiry change is when renewing. Then again we are talking about Nigeria here, a friend had different experience here.

That's the procedure in Nigeria. They will give a different passport which will have a different expiry date. Don't know if it has changed but it is only done in Abuja.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Neelzar(f): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, but If my passport is going to be changed to a new one entirely, then I don't see the point of travelling to Abuja to change my name, when I can just apply for a new passport here in Lagos. I don't want to make any mistake and this is why I am asking so that I can take the right steps.

Please share your experiences if you are married and have changed your name on your international passport. Did everything remain the same except your old name? or did the dates of issue and expiry change.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by tlk2Prince(m): 3:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
blank:

That's the procedure in Nigeria. They will give a different passport which will have a different expiry date. Don't know if it has changed but it is only done in Abuja.
Yahp thas true.. U'd be given a New passport with anew passport number infact everytin on the passport changes.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by tlk2Prince(m): 3:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
Neelzar:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, but If my passport is going to be changed to a new one entirely, then I don't see the point of travelling to Abuja to change my name, when I can just apply for a new passport here in Lagos. I don't want to make any mistake and this is why I am asking so that I can take the right steps.

Please share your experiences if you are married and have changed your name on your international passport. Did everything remain the same except your old name? or did the dates of issue and expiry change.

Thanks once again.
Hello, please go to NIS Head Qtrs in Abuja. Thas the only place it can be done..
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Leon2036(m): 11:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
kinda wrong sir a new registration number would be used so a new date would be given,
justwise:

1 Like

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Tlad5598: 5:56am On Feb 23, 2015
Hello All,

My passport expired last year November. I got married this year. May I know if the change of name still applies to me or I would simply do renewal and present my marriage certificate. Kindly let me know the cost of a change of name and the length of days it takes to acquire one from NIS Abuja.

Thanks
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by elari(m): 12:26pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tlad5598:
Hello All,

My passport expired last year November. I got married this year. May I know if the change of name still applies to me or I would simply do renewal and present my marriage certificate. Kindly let me know the cost of a change of name and the length of days it takes to acquire one from NIS Abuja.

Thanks
Change of name applies to you too. The cost should range from 35 to 40k for everything to be on point, that is after newspaper publication, marriage certificate, and the old Passport e. T. c. Duration should range to 10 days

3 Likes

Re: Change Of Name International Passport by elari(m): 12:28pm On Feb 23, 2015
Neelzar:
Hi everyone,

Thanks once again.
New number, new date and can only be done at NIS headquarters, Sauka, Airport road, Abuja
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by stunning4real: 3:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
You need change of name if you did your passport during when finger print had been introduced. But if not just go to lagos office and apply for passport givin ur new surname.

Abuja- if its change of name you will be given new passport.

I am also doing mine this March
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by 19naia(m): 6:22am On Feb 24, 2015
Can anyone help me with getting a new NG passport.?. I had one as a child and expired before my 16 birthday.. But that was over 2 decades ago.. I have been using my other nationality passport and forgot about NG passport or return to NG...
I do not know the passport number and do not have the old passport..
I want to apply for a new passport.. But all i have is my foriegn birth certificate to show... Its shows my fathers name and he is Nigerian by birth and also his father and so on.. I dont have a birth certificate of my father.. All i have is my birth certificate from birth overseas, but it has my fathers name on it as well as my name.. They are all nigerian names... I schooled in Nigeria from 3rd year Primary to 4th year secondary, and i am concerned if the schools keep those records from as long ago as 1983-1990? Will those school records be of any use to prove my connection to Nigeria? Or will birth certificate alone be enough? Maybe they will find my old youth passport on file by my name? I cannot apply for renewal online because i dont know the number to the passport..
I think my best option is to apply for new... Any help or insight will be appreciated. Maybe one day i will come to NG with foriegn passport and NG visa, then try all avenues to secure NG passport while there...
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by playcharles(m): 8:51am On Feb 24, 2015
what are the procedure and process to get a new nigerian passport after filling the form online
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by boldbabe: 12:48pm On Feb 26, 2015
Your passport can be changed at the Headquarters at Abuja. Your new surname, passport number, date of issue and date of expiry will change from the former one. But you have to go with all your documents like husband's data page, marriage certificate, newspaper publication of change of name, husbands written letter, your passport photograph e.t.c

Neelzar:
Hi everyone,

Thanks once again.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 26, 2015
I did a change of name and also renewal last December.My expiry date was extended.went with newspaper change of name,marriage certificate and affidavit from court.Did it at the Nis headquarter in abuja.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by liononthefield: 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2015
Please aos I wiil like to know if I can do changes of age with my passport, if possible,nd how much is it goin to cost me? And were will I Do it? Thanks for ur reply.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by stunning4real: 4:31pm On Feb 26, 2015
Augustbreak:
I did a change of name and also renewal last December.My expiry date was extended.went with newspaper change of name,marriage certificate and affidavit from court.Did it at the Nis headquarter in abuja.
please how much did it cost you?
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by liononthefield: 5:41pm On Feb 26, 2015
Please how much is it?
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2015
stunning4real:
please how much did it cost you?
i started initially from my state nis office.We paid about 40k.we wanted renewal but when we mentioned change of name as well,they were the ones that referred me to the headquarters in abuja.I only went there for the capturing. I don't known if my hubby paid more when he collected the passport.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by stunning4real: 7:53am On Feb 27, 2015
Augustbreak:
i started initially from my state nis office.We paid about 40k.we wanted renewal but when we mentioned change of name as well,they were the ones that referred me to the headquarters in abuja.I only went there for the capturing. I don't known if my hubby paid more when he collected the passport.
ok. Thanks. I am going straight to Abuja
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Iamoilprince(m): 9:40pm On Mar 02, 2015
Augustbreak:

Please i need the contact. Am planning on going to abj for it this week. Mine is change of date of birth
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 03, 2015
Iamoilprince:

Please i need the contact. Am planning on going to abj for it this week. Mine is change of date of birth
The contact was by the Nis from my state.They only referred me to the head quarter in Abuja.Why not to to their state office and explain to them.They will tell you what to do.And if you chose to go straight to Abuja ,I think that will be better,
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by lactemps(m): 6:08pm On Mar 23, 2015
19naia:
Can anyone help me with getting a new NG passport.?. I had one as a child and expired before my 16 birthday.. But that was over 2 decades ago.. I have been using my other nationality passport and forgot about NG passport or return to NG...
I do not know the passport number and do not have the old passport..
I want to apply for a new passport.. But all i have is my foriegn birth certificate to show... Its shows my fathers name and he is Nigerian by birth and also his father and so on.. I dont have a birth certificate of my father.. All i have is my birth certificate from birth overseas, but it has my fathers name on it as well as my name.. They are all nigerian names... I schooled in Nigeria from 3rd year Primary to 4th year secondary, and i am concerned if the schools keep those records from as long ago as 1983-1990? Will those school records be of any use to prove my connection to Nigeria? Or will birth certificate alone be enough? Maybe they will find my old youth passport on file by my name? I cannot apply for renewal online because i dont know the number to the passport..
I think my best option is to apply for new... Any help or insight will be appreciated. Maybe one day i will come to NG with foriegn passport and NG visa, then try all avenues to secure NG passport while there...

What you HAD from my understanding is the old MRP Passport.
YOu can apply for a NEW ePassport.

Depending on your location, the document you are required to provide would differ.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by 19naia(m): 6:30pm On Mar 23, 2015
lactemps:

What you HAD from my understanding is the old MRP Passport.
YOu can apply for a NEW ePassport.

Depending on your location, the document you are required to provide would differ.

Thanks, i think i will try coming to nigeria on a visa and then going to my local government there to get a letter of affirmation of my home town and family ties there... Then apply for new passport... Also, my Old Nigeria passport was a child passport made by my father.. It expired when i became 16 years old and i think thats the legal adult status in Nigeria... I never got one of my own as an adult..

Any way, thats another reason i think it will wok for me to apply for a new one from the very beggining like you said... I will go with birth certificate and local government letter..

Thanks...
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by lactemps(m): 7:45pm On Mar 23, 2015
If you still have the "Expired" MRP Passport, that and your Birth Certificate should be enough. In my Opinion.

But again it depends on the Country you are in.... Nigerian Embassies operate differently (which is WRONG)... lool but remember that everyone is a KING in their small office.
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by 19naia(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2015
lactemps:
If you still have the "Expired" MRP Passport, that and your Birth Certificate should be enough. In my Opinion.

But again it depends on the Country you are in.... Nigerian Embassies operate differently (which is WRONG)... lool but remember that everyone is a KING in their small office.

My problem is, i do not have the old expired passport, that was expired in 1989 and lost over 12 years ago.. Also i dont know the old passport number.... It requires either the expired passport or the lost passport number with a police report... I have neither and so i am caught in gaps... The NIS web site says nothing about if i cannot find the number to the lost passport...

I think my best option is to go to Nigeria and get my local government letter there,and my family members there who share the same grandfather ther, and bring my birth certificate... That should get it taken care of... Maybe some fees and motivational incentives to the NIS workers there, and that should do it..
They should have a way to look up my old passport information to find my old passport number on file.. But thats Nigeria, all kinds of things can go missing and wrong...
Re: Change Of Name International Passport by candykenni: 11:01am On Sep 24, 2015
@iamoilprince,

Please where you able to change the Date of Birth successfully? What documents where required? How much was it and how long was the processing? May i have the contact you used if you don't mind? Your timely response will be appreciated.

Iamoilprince:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US BAN: Fareed Zakaria Makes Case For Nigeria On GPS Morning / FAAN Fumigates Lagos, Abuja, Port-Harcourt Airports Ahead Of Reopening / Air Peace Takes Delivery Of Fifth Brand New Embraer 195-E2 Aircraft (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.