Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

How To Treat Heart Burn - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Treat Heart Burn (3799 Views)

"FMC Owerri Doctors Refused To Treat Madonna University Student Shot Last Night" / Here Are 5 Tips To Treat Conjunctivitis (apollo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Treat Heart Burn by Ekenev2(m): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
Have you ever felt a burning sensation in your stomach after a meal? It might not be unconnected with acidity. When the food we eat enters the stomach, the gastric glands in the stomach produce digestive acid that helps digest the food.
best treatment for acidity of stomach
When there is imbalance or excesses of this acid, acidity occurs. Acidity leads to heart burns and ulcers. Hear burn occurs when the acid enters the lower
oesephagus( gastro oesephagal reflux). This is due to weakness in the sphincter controlling the reflux.

It occurs after meals and
is brought on by excess intra-abdominal pressure like lifting
weights or straining. It can also occur at night on lying down and
is relieved when the individual sits up. The pain is very closely
related to posture. Regurgitation of the gastric contents may also
occur.

Possible Causes
Research shows that acidity increases in people who are nervous, people in developed countries, consumption of
Alcohol, highly spicy foodstuffs, non-vegetarian diets, and Non
Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID's) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen

People who smoke a lot also experience heart burn. Stress have a big impact on acidity. Diets high in salt, spices should be avoided.

Cure
There are many drugs available to treat heart burn. Care must be taken and Doctor's advice should be sought before taking any medication for our health. Such drugs are

1. Cimetidine , Ranitidine,
Famotidine or Nizatidine( These groups of drugs reduce acid secretion. They are called H2 receptor blocker)

2. Antacids such as aluminum hydroxide and magnesium oxide.

3. Omeprazole and Lansoprazole.( they are more powerful because they stop acid production. They are called proton pump inhibitors)

Apart from medication, healthy lifestyle, less stress, alcohol, and consumption of water regularly could help alleviate stomach symptoms by helping flush out excess acid from the stomach
Avoid chocolate bars and caffeinated drinks.
http://www.myhealthokay.com/2015/02/treat-heart-burn-stomach-acidity.html?m=0

1 Like

Re: How To Treat Heart Burn by Maccoy1(m): 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2015
An educative post, Op front page, so many people like me have been suffering heart burns since 1605....

1 Like

Re: How To Treat Heart Burn by omokab: 10:21pm On Feb 21, 2015
I have been experiencing this since I was young.I have not for once go to hospital because I have notice the cause of the problem since I was young and the help of my mother as a chemist.I try to avoid the use of aspirin and any drug for pain relieve because I discovered that I always have this stomach problem when I took any of such drug.The recent experience I have is when I took coke constantly,it disturb me a lot and since then I have taking coke as my enemy.Really I don't know if coke is a major problem to this but I took precaution.I also take gelusile and Gestid whenever am having this problem.The only thing I don't know is if am having hearth burn or alcer.
Re: How To Treat Heart Burn by omicron(m): 6:48am On Feb 22, 2015
omokab:
I have been experiencing this since I was young.I have not for once go to hospital because I have notice the cause of the problem since I was young and the help of my mother as a chemist.I try to avoid the use of aspirin and any drug for pain relieve because I discovered that I always have this stomach problem when I took any of such drug.The recent experience I have is when I took coke constantly,it disturb me a lot and since then I have taking coke as my enemy.Really I don't know if coke is a major problem to this but I took precaution.I also take gelusile and Gestid whenever am having this problem.The only thing I don't know is if am having hearth burn or alcer.
Very intelligent post.

Yea, aspirin, ibuprofen, lofnac, felvin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) commonly cause and or exercerbate ulcer/heartburn.

Coke CAN also worsen ulcer symtoms as they contain caffein which increases stimulation of stomach acid production.

Antacids like gelusil and gestid are common over-the-counter relievers.

Perhaps, you should see a doctor to diagnose your symptoms more precisely. But your knowledge of its basic management is very commendable.
Re: How To Treat Heart Burn by omokab: 10:04am On Feb 22, 2015
omicron:
Very intelligent post.

Yea, aspirin, ibuprofen, lofnac, felvin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) commonly cause and or exercerbate ulcer/heartburn.

Coke CAN also worsen ulcer symtoms as they contain caffein which increases stimulation of stomach acid production.

Antacids like gelusil and gestid are common over-the-counter relievers.

Perhaps, you should see a doctor to diagnose your symptoms more precisely. But your knowledge of its basic management is very commendable.
thanks a lot

(1) (Reply)

Between Yoyo Bitters And Goko Cleanser Herbal Drugs / HERBAL MEDICINE E-BOOK / 11 Years Pimple/acne Problem HELP ME!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.