Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money (33323 Views)

My Wife Has Taken My April Fool's Joke All Wrong...please Help!! / My Wife Has Been Poisoning My Meals Since 2008, Husband Tells Court / 11-years Without A Child Only To Find Out My Wife Has Been Aborting Our Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by precisionindepth: 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
Pelmet:
The rate at which these things happen is appalling. Wouldn't wanna narrate my. Own ordeal, but it's 'bout time men realise that they are meant to provide for the Family and a woman's earnings should only be "extra". The movie "Courageous" Says it all.
next u will hear ds so called men saying girls like money whereas most of dem are downright irresponsible. experiences abound....Irresponsible, skirt wearing men!

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by chibic(m): 2:17pm On Feb 24, 2015
Sammiejokes:

ITS HER DREAM HUSBAND JARE. MARRIED WOMEN WITH FANTASY
you knew exactly why i asked that question..you know,if she goes through her hubby's profile and see that kind of pic,she'll be mad that her hubby is fantasizing on another type of woman but she is doing it.women always loves to eat their cake and have it.let me tell you...a guy opened a thread complaining that his girlfriend likes men with big chest and six packs...that the girl will start screaming each time she sees inyanya pics...everybody in that thread was advising him to hit the gym...but a lady opened a thread saying that her boyfriend likes girls with big b..ooobs and she has it small..do you know that some girls told her that such type of man will cheat on her.that she should dump the guy....i bet that if she see another woman's pic in her hubby's profile..whether facebook or nairaland,she will turn the house upside down.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Blitz888(m): 2:19pm On Feb 24, 2015
A man 'Manning up' is about being alive to your responsibilities. Men who abdicate their responsibilities are not fit to be called men.
I was raised in a male dominated environment with brothers and uncles everywhere call it a Testosterone filled atmosphere and you won't be wrong. We were raised to take grt pleasure in catering to and securing our dependents wifey inclusive. How can I ever live with myself if I can't be the man in my house.. I blame it on their fathers who raise them to be this irresponsible. After all, if I don't take care of her who will? o ha ka'm na gbara mbo!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by fpeter(f): 2:22pm On Feb 24, 2015
ferdimako:

everything has changed. Appreciate one of u have the means... in some homes no nobody has or no man sef.

You don't understand my dear, It is not okay for a man who works to withhold money for the house-keep.
If and only if, he is jobless then we may understand but even at that see 1TIMOTHY 5:8

But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by urchbarbie(f): 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2015
Oh dear me! I was just goin to stay ghostmode n enjoy dis thread till I came across dis shittyyy comment. Ure educated, yes dat I can see from ur writeup. Wat I don't understnd is why u ceased to comprehend d bible passage u quoted. Kai! The woman is d asset of her husband? Yes we gree. But whr u lost me is in ur intial argument whr ladies feel a husband is a workhorse and a woman remmitting her earnings cos she is her husbands "horse"
My dear, if ure a christain as u quotes d scriptures well, try rembr d encounter in d garden of eden.
A man is the "workhorse" of any home, dat was y God says Adam wld toil d earth ..............and d woman wld labour to bring forth her young one.
Nna! Take up ur responsiblity. Its been dere since d time of old
Votukpa:
Most ladies on this thread feel like marriage is equivalent to earning a workhorse (husband).

Stop feeling like that.

When a man maries to himself a women, she now belongs to him. Yall aint gone like this but its true.

Her ability to produce wealth isnt for herself anymore but for him. If I buy a horse to help me do work, of course im gonna feed the horse, care for it, be nice to it and make sure its strong and healthy. If it produces an income, do I not have all the rights to all of it?

Most ladies think marriage is a cakewalk, a blissful bed of roses and a holiday.

No it isnt.

U women were created for men to help them.you are meant to be an asset to men , NOT the other way round. As men we are to derive all sorts of benefits from having a wife. "He who finds a wife finds a GOOD things and Obtains blessings, favour benefits..." dont forget ladies. Men dont actually need women for much but the feminine imperative has made social conventioms to trap men into thinking that the almighty pussy if not had, will bring sjame loneliness and desperation into his life.

Hogwash.

This not women bashing so conceal ur weapons. This is the truth. If you dont want to give ur self sacrificiallly in love to a man and children., please remain in your father's house permanently and watch your flower wither away into oblivion, never to be desired by a man, not even for a cheap bang.

You mad? Sorry. That's the way it is.

Some may ask why does it have to this way? Well, it been given to men to rule over women. Nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by precisionindepth: 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
ferdimako:

una still dey wear skirts? grin
am talking abt shying from the ideal tin to do. I aren't talking abt d physical skirt
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2015
missjenna:
This is a very serious issue.
I experienced similar when I was growing up. My dad was a business man while my mum was a graduate without a job. My dad was very hardworking and he would always leave the house early in the morning and come back home at late evenings all in the bid to cater for his family

I noticed that as soon as my mum got a job, he kind of became lazy. He wasn't going to work early as before and he began taking unnecessary breaks from work.
This led to problems in both his business and marriage.

I just used this story to express my thoughts. Husbands, when they see that their wives have a source of income tend to feel that a burden has been lifted off their shoulders and they kind of relax, which isn't supposed to be so

Definitely the wife should take on some of the financial responsibilities, after all marriage is a kind partnership relationship. But this shouldn't mean that the husband should use this as an avenue to prey on the wife

In my own opinion, I think the financial responsibilities should be shared based on the income strength of both husband and wife.

Thanks
African mentality I will call it, I believe even when both couples are working the lack of adequate planning will make room for the shift in the equilibrium of responsibility. Father will know his area of responsibility so will b d wife, I was in dubai for some time on a visit that lasted some months, the way couple live abroad is very interesting but what I noticed is that if such is practice here it could bring up this kind of a story. The wife and husband are always on their respective toes, I left when I was about been turned to maid, alarm wakes them up, the food is in the fridge with a good calculation of what we last them for a month, but were working and doing courses to grow up in thre career. Yet they find time to express love and go out, being someone that grew up in the village I was amazed and found this interesting.
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by veave(f): 2:37pm On Feb 24, 2015
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by urchbarbie(f): 2:38pm On Feb 24, 2015
My dear! Pls r u married? If not, can I propose wink
Ure just d ish dear kiss
Blitz888:
A man 'Manning up' is about being alive to your responsibilities. Men who abdicate their responsibilities are not fit to be called men.
I was raised in a male dominated environment with brothers and uncles everywhere call it a Testosterone filled atmosphere and you won't be wrong. We were raised to take grt pleasure in catering to and securing our dependents wifey inclusive. How can I ever live with myself if I can't be the man in my house.. I blame it on their fathers who raise them to be this irresponsible. After all, if I don't take care of her who will? o ha ka'm na gbara mbo!
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Jaypea98: 2:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
[quote author=Jackeeh post=30998625]You cousin is lucky. I watched my mum cry severally cos of the embarrassment she received from my dad. I watched how my dad would cross certain things off the market list to reduce the little amount needed for feeding. It got so bad that I'd go to my dad's superstore to steal cash just so my mum could have some money in her purse( that I'm not proud of). She was just a secondary school teacher then. My dad has never bought anything for my mum. She worked hard, got promoted , became an academic supervisor etc. Fast forward to 2014: she retired n received her gratuity. Meanwhile dad who was a rich banker then, lost his job n was duped in a business deal he ventured into. Now mum is the one in charge. No more tears. She now runs the show. The jeep she bought, dad drives it. Everywhere they go, mum tells whoever cares tho listen that dad bought the car n not her. She has begun her building project n will soon become a landlady. She doesn't hesitate to give whenever dad needs cash. She has forgotten how it was. She has forgotten how this same man who is greatly benefitting from her now, used to abuse her n call her lazy n a liability. Lol. Now who's the liability? She doesn't hide her money from her "beloved'' husband. I get mad at times n wished she would retaliate. But my mum would have none of that. She now has more thasn enough wrappers n jewellries. No more tears. Hmmmmmmmmm I believe that's how marriage should be. So pls advise your cousin to do what she can. She's even blessed with money n can comfortably provide for herself n kids. If need be,let her do same for her husband. Things will change for the best ssssomeday. And of course, now that mum has some money, dad is not even contributing a dime anymore. Lol. Mum still believes he will change some day. But as we wait for that day to come, mum is smoothly running the home n everyone is happy. [/quote
Talking about happy endings i am also a testimony to such stories.My dad didnt do too well interms of the treatments he accorded my mom,but all is well now and hes been forgiven #livemustgoon

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by precisionindepth: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
urchbarbie:
Oh dear me! I was just goin to stay ghostmode n enjoy dis thread till I came across dis shittyyy comment. Ure educated, yes dat I can see from ur writeup. Wat I don't understnd is why u ceased to comprehend d bible passage u quoted. Kai! The woman is d asset of her husband? Yes we gree. But whr u lost me is in ur intial argument whr ladies feel a husband is a workhorse and a woman remmitting her earnings cos she is her husbands "horse"
My dear, if ure a christain as u quotes d scriptures well, try rembr d encounter in d garden of eden.
A man is the "workhorse" of any home, dat was y God says Adam wld toil d earth ..............and d woman wld labour to bring forth her young one.
Nna! Take up ur responsiblity. Its been dere since d time of old
wao, D's thinking is so out of it.
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by urchbarbie(f): 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2015
lolx @ d aye o! men sha. if u touch his atm na iku o. its like uld open anoda account without an atm biko. u need to save for d "rainy" day
njays24:
Pls help me ask the men o! The day my husband took my ATM without my consent,he checked my account balance and came home and dangled my atm in my face and shouted "aye o",that was the end of extra money for me,just house-keeping money alone,no more extras.
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by urchbarbie(f): 2:50pm On Feb 24, 2015
From which point so I can clarify
precisionindepth:
wao, D's thinking is so out of it.
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by aminae: 2:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
A man should always remember what his role is in a family, as the head of the family he has the responsibility of caring and providing for his family even if the woman is rich, that is the only thing that makes a man gain his position as the man. If you delegate that to your wife you are also delegating the headship to her. No matter how little you earn try as much as you can to provide, let the wife complement you cos she is their as ur helper not your co-head. A woman should also assist at home without waiting for the man to ask, it keeps the family moving.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nicklaus(m): 3:04pm On Feb 24, 2015
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Sarimah(f): 3:14pm On Feb 24, 2015
[quote author=stardragon post=31035456]
yeah, am a gud hard working man!

can we rapot??
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2015
You know y i love you? You are intelligent and you too like front page... wink grin cheesy shocked
missjenna:
This is a very serious issue.
I experienced similar when I was growing up. My dad was a business man while my mum was a graduate without a job. My dad was very hardworking and he would always leave the house early in the morning and come back home at late evenings all in the bid to cater for his family

I noticed that as soon as my mum got a job, he kind of became lazy. He wasn't going to work early as before and he began taking unnecessary breaks from work.
This led to problems in both his business and marriage.

I just used this story to express my thoughts. Husbands, when they see that their wives have a source of income tend to feel that a burden has been lifted off their shoulders and they kind of relax, which isn't supposed to be so

Definitely the wife should take on some of the financial responsibilities, after all marriage is a kind partnership relationship. But this shouldn't mean that the husband should use this as an avenue to prey on the wife

In my own opinion, I think the financial responsibilities should be shared based on the income strength of both husband and wife.

Thanks
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by obstead200(m): 3:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
[b]all i will say is this;
marriage is not an automatic meal ticket to the woman. if I were not married,I can never marry any woman who sees the marriage as a meal ticket.
marriage is an invitation to partnership. to join hands together to build a home for urselves and ur children to the glory of God.
if God provides means for the wife, she should not hestitate to help out fully in the expenses. she shud also do it without looking back or complaining. But I dont agree that a man shud abandon his responsibilities as the head of the house. the only thing I can see in this case is an issue of distrust and lack of love in the house. the only thing the couple really love is money. if not so, this are all basic issues that shud be understood and discussed b4 going into marriage

I earn way more than my wife. but she keeps 90% of my money cos I trust her. because of this trust, she does not hestitate to hand over all her money to me to use whenever I ask for it. cos she knows That I wud always have her back financially come what may.

at times we have our little squabbles over money but she always trusts my judgement at last.
[/b]

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2015
Shut up and take a sit. As a wife will you be happy to see your husband suffer when you have the money? Gosh for crying out loud this is your husband, the man you dated, said i do, I love you till death and all that, why then will you hide what you have from him? If you love him, then it won't matter how and what you spend on him. Yes he is the head, and as the wife, y not better the life of this man you call your husband?You are not a good wife...people like you run away from husband's house when he is broke or loose his job.for God's sake why won't your husband know how much you earn? You better change madam....please do
mekybabe1:
Sometimes I blame the woman. No matter how rich she is, do not show it. Men love to be in charge and when you make them feel you can be in charge too, they "take a seat and watch". My dad did same too, my friends had same story to tell so I didn't let that happen to me. Till date, my hubby doesn't know how much I earn. He pays the rent,kids fees, repairs the cars, gives me food allowance and all I do is "support" eg. I go the market with the money given to me and if I see anything else we might need at home, I use my money without even letting him know. If I see lovely toys or clothes for the kids, I buy them with my money. He tried to complain once, but I told him it's a taboo in my place for a woman to feed her family and take up a man's responsibilities grin. So he got used to it except of course, if he doesn't have a job( God forbid!) and I will definitely take over from where he stopped tongue. Quote author=CrazyMan post=30997557]A very good morning to you all, and I'm guessing you all had a great weekend.

I was with a female cousin of mine yesterday (married) and she was lamenting to me how her has husband has annoyingly stopped giving her money for the upkeep of the family.

She said she now has to hide her money from him most times cos whenever he discovers she has any, he distances himself from any form of financial responsibilities that concerns the family.

The reason when I inquired started fully when she handed over a cheque from her personal account to the caretaker in regards to their rent.

She said she and her husband had a discussion the night before, and he promised her that she would be reimbursed if she settles the rent, but changed suddenly when she paid the money.

Now that I've paid the rent, he doesn't drop a penny in the house she told me. She's the one practically shouldering all the financial responsibilities. Ranging from their kids expenses to kitchen expenses to house expenses which include NEPA bills, purchase of water for their geepee tank...etc.

According to her, she only has a rough idea of what her husband earns and very little idea of what he spends it on.

I know some men are irresponsible but this case supersedes irresponsibility. I prefer to tag the man an over grown baby. Someone who has refused to mature.

As a man I believe its your responsibility to provide for your family regardless of the kind of job your wife does. You wife is there for support and not for you to abandon your responsibilities for. Every man should always bear that in mind.

What do you guys thing?
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by mikanju: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
CrazyMan:
A very good morning to you all, and I'm guessing you all had a great weekend.

I was with a female cousin of mine yesterday (married) and she was lamenting to me how her has husband has annoyingly stopped giving her money for the upkeep of the family.

She said she now has to hide her money from him most times cos whenever he discovers she has any, he distances himself from any form of financial responsibilities that concerns the family.

The reason when I inquired started fully when she handed over a cheque from her personal account to the caretaker in regards to their rent.

She said she and her husband had a discussion the night before, and he promised her that she would be reimbursed if she settles the rent, but changed suddenly when she paid the money.

Now that I've paid the rent, he doesn't drop a penny in the house she told me. She's the one practically shouldering all the financial responsibilities. Ranging from their kids expenses to kitchen expenses to house expenses which include NEPA bills, purchase of water for their geepee tank...etc.

According to her, she only has a rough idea of what her husband earns and very little idea of what he spends it on.

I know some men are irresponsible but this case supersedes irresponsibility. I prefer to tag the man an over grown baby. Someone who has refused to mature.

As a man I believe its your responsibility to provide for your family regardless of the kind of job your wife does. You wife is there for support and not for you to abandon your responsibilities for. Every man should always bear that in mind.

What do you guys thing?

Painfully this kind of situation is quite common these days.Most married women you see around are the bread winners of their family but you will never know.You got to know about your cousins case cos she is your cousin.I bet you that her friends and neigbours don't know this.
This even happens in relationships.In one on my relationships I made sure my partner is not aware of how much I have saved,not that I ever make demands from him but the guilt almost killed me.I decided not to carry that same mentality to my other relationship and that was my biggest mistake.Maybe the other guy thought I was a fool.He did not know that I am releiving myself of a burden.He earns more than I do but the money is never enough for him as he complains everytime.Ever since he knew my account,the story has changed.I think I agrre with what someone said that part of the cause can be traced to their upbringing.There is nothing bad helping your partner but him totally negleting his responsibility can be very painful but what can we do? Our mothers faced more than that.
This has got me crying several times and I have vowed that money will never be the source of my saddness.What is the essense of having money and hidding it from your spouse? What joy will it give you knowing that your family is in financial crisis and you have that money but you hide it from your husband? I for one,my conscience will kill me.And if you do that,even you that owns the money will never be happy.I pray to marry a responsible man in all aspect of marriage.A man that knows that taking care of the family is a mans job and that is why they are called the head of the family.But if the table turns,I will gladly take care of my family and kids.I will do it happily and enjoy myself while doing so cos life is to short to start hidding money up and down,life is too short to make the little God has blessed you with to become a burden.But never again will my boyfriend know how much I have,even he is in any financial mess,he should sort it out himself.Because if you look at it very well,all this men that turn out to be like that in marriage are mostly the ones that spends ladies money during courtship.It is better I don't see that tendency in him at all than to see it but still go ahead to marry him out of desperation thinking that he would change.He won't change,he will only get worse! A word is enough for the wise!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
First of all..its ideal that before a man decides to get married..he should be ready for the financial responsibilities that comes with it.the fact that the wife works is no excuse to abdicate his duties..there are unwritten laws in marriage..traditionally and biblically,women are not wired to be providers.its just one of the trends of our generation.my standpoint on this issue is that couples should have a very honest discussion about what they earn,who pays for what and other financial obligations..also,as a man please remove your eyes from your partner's money especially when you were not responsible for her education.its bad enough that all u hv to do when u marry is to work..u dont do house chores,get pregnant or have to scream in pain during childbirth..and oh... Asides the pain,her body never remains the same..With all these a woman has to go thru..dont push the duty of feeding the home,paying rent and stufff on her..those are a man's duties(except he is unemployed).bottomline..a woman shud also help out in paying some bills around d house,but it shud not be mandatory.hell!she has needs for her money..how many men give their wives money for new clothes,toiletries,kitchen equipments etc when they know she has a job...its her salary she will use most times in looking good so people can compliment u on how well u r taking care of her..

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by chimsimdindu: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
What will you do when your husband has been jobless for more than a year ? out of your ten years of marriage he has lost his job three times.No savings . You work , pay house rent, school fees, feeding, maintain your car and so on ... Your parents that bled to see you thru school and secured a job for you, you barely have enough for them . Your constantly thinking of how to give ur kids the best they deserve.
There's nothing you can do but to continue to thank God . IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE.
IN ALL THINGS GIVE THANKS TO GOD !
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
[quote author=Sarimah post=31040009][/quote]
from ur dp i've decoded ur pretydity....
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
The rate at which ladies are quick to remind us how men are 'supposed' to be the providers is just so remarkable! grin grin grin

So even when the woman earns more than her husband he should still be the SOLE provider??
Common! let's shun hypocrisy and be realistic.

I know ladies don't like to be told the truth but would rather fall for tricks, however, I am going to say my mind on this issue.

If women are not to provide for her family while men are, then let us withdraw all females from schools and other vocational training centers and admit only males.
Also, let's withdraw all women from paid employments and employ only men.

Better still, let all women be made to study only HOME MANAGEMENT in school and afterwards go back to their husband's houses to manage the homes.

I remember the last time a man posted a thread here seeking advice on whom amongst his wife and brother he should recommend for employment in an oil company, all you ladies here were busy advising him to recommend his wife. So, if that man listened to you and gave his wife the job, you would still have expected him to be the provider-in-chief? grin.Remember the man was earning just #60,000 per month while the job offered a salary of over #500,000. Let's be realistic nau.

No wonder some people now have the misconception that training a female child is more "profitable" to the parents than training a male child. The reason is simply that after training a male child, when he eventually starts earning a living, he has to use whatever money he is making to meet the 'societal' expectation of providing for his own family, while his female schoolmate gets married probably to him, and uses her own money to cater for her parents and siblings because the society doesn't expect her to provide for her immediate family. That's double standard!

Anyway, guys are becoming smarter these days. They now lure you into marriage with all the sweet words you love to hear only to make an ATM out of you after marriage. Fair deal

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Chilug(m): 4:33pm On Feb 24, 2015
Daresh:
I have to say thank God for my husband o! For all the foolish things he has done in our married lives he has never pushed the financial burden to me. I know he will even wash plates and clean toilets sef to make sure we are catered for.
And what kind of husband does that? Washing plate. Shh!
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by eyinjuege: 4:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
njays24:
Pls help me ask the men o! The day my husband took my ATM without my consent,he checked my account balance and came home and dangled my atm in my face and shouted "aye o",that was the end of extra money for me,just house-keeping money alone,no more extras.

I'm laughing so hard,
infact in Chinese. That your dude funny o. Eyin aye!!!
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by eyinjuege: 4:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
njays24:

I'm laughing so hard, infact in Chinese. That your dude funny o. Eyin aye!!!
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Agukagu(m): 4:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
Jackeeh:
You cousin is lucky. I watched my mum cry severally cos of the embarrassment she received from my dad. I watched how my dad would cross certain things off the market list to reduce the little amount needed for feeding. It got so bad that I'd go to my dad's superstore to steal cash just so my mum could have some money in her purse( that I'm not proud of). She was just a secondary school teacher then. My dad has never bought anything for my mum. She worked hard, got promoted , became an academic supervisor etc. Fast forward to 2014: she retired n received her gratuity. Meanwhile dad who was a rich banker then, lost his job n was duped in a business deal he ventured into. Now mum is the one in charge. No more tears. She now runs the show. The jeep she bought, dad drives it. Everywhere they go, mum tells whoever cares tho listen that dad bought the car n not her. She has begun her building project n will soon become a landlady. She doesn't hesitate to give whenever dad needs cash. She has forgotten how it was. She has forgotten how this same man who is greatly benefitting from her now, used to abuse her n call her lazy n a liability. Lol. Now who's the liability? She doesn't hide her money from her "beloved'' husband. I get mad at times n wished she would retaliate. But my mum would have none of that. She now has more thasn enough wrappers n jewellries. No more tears. Hmmmmmmmmm I believe that's how marriage should be. So pls advise your cousin to do what she can. She's even blessed with money n can comfortably provide for herself n kids. If need be,let her do same for her husband. Things will change for the best someday. And of course, now that mum has some money, dad is not even contributing a dime anymore. Lol. Mum still believes he will change some day. But as we wait for that day to come, mum is smoothly running the home n everyone is happy.

I can bet that your dad was once a pillar in your home. For him to be rich a banker and own a superstore shows that he was financially well to do. Crossing out unnecessary items from grocery list does not make a man a bad husband. Calling your mum lazy and a liability might have been the tonic that fired your mum to start working hard. Your mum may not have told you that your dad was the foundation of what she is today and had supported her all the while. Any good woman especially those from SE and SS will do what your mum did without qualms. This is more so when she knows that what she is toady is courtesy of her husband. There is nothing to glory in letting people know that you are in charge of the home instead of your husband. Make no mistake, your dad will rise again. There is hope for a tree that was cut down. Kudos to your mum anyway. Do emulate her for she is a virtuous woman.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by cococandy(f): 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
Wives also have families that they would like to help financially too if they could save some money.

Wives also have investments they need to make.

If they would share family responsibilities, both can set some money aside to solve their personal investment and extended family problems.

Not one person leaving it all to the other .
mutter:
A man cater for the family with the help of the woman.

It is wrong to think that the man ha to carry all the financial burden and responsibilities.
In some cases the women earn nearly a much or even more than the men.

Men have huge responsibilities. Their parent and extended family, investing and so much more.

Why should it be an issue for the woman to have paid a rent?
Since I am also self employed apart from my job my husband never really knows how much I earn. But I always let him know and even give him most of the money for the home. He was and still is very reluctant but I insist.

I love that man so much I could not bear to let him struggle through all the responsibilities alone.
Because my husband is really mostly focused on the home and the family back home, it does not bother me at all. If you love a man, then you want to support him as much as you can. It has been that way since we married and it works for us.
However I must admit that it was not very easy. At a stage my husband was shouldering too many responsibilities at the expense of the kid`S. We solved it like we sole all serious issues. Written contact between us. We reach a compromise and put it in writing. It really works. grin

I just make sure I keep enough money back to be able to indulge my kid`s once in a while grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by cococandy(f): 4:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
Chilug:

And what kind of husband does that? Washing plate. Shh!
undecided
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by cococandy(f): 4:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
@bold is right.
mikanju:

Painfully this kind of situation is quite common these days. Most married women you see around are the bread winners of their family but you will never know .You got to know about your cousins case cos she is your cousin.I bet you that her friends and neigbours don't know this.
This even happens in relationships.In one on my relationships I made sure my partner is not aware of how much I have saved,not that I ever make demands from him but the guilt almost killed me.I decided not to carry that same mentality to my other relationship and that was my biggest mistake.Maybe the other guy thought I was a fool.He did not know that I am releiving myself of a burden.He earns more than I do but the money is never enough for him as he complains everytime.Ever since he knew my account,the story has changed.I think I agrre with what someone said that part of the cause can be traced to their upbringing.There is nothing bad helping your partner but him totally negleting his responsibility can be very painful but what can we do? Our mothers faced more than that.
This has got me crying several times and I have vowed that money will never be the source of my saddness.What is the essense of having money and hidding it from your spouse? What joy will it give you knowing that your family is in financial crisis and you have that money but you hide it from your husband? I for one,my conscience will kill me.And if you do that,even you that owns the money will never be happy.I pray to marry a responsible man in all aspect of marriage.A man that knows that taking care of the family is a mans job and that is why they are called the head of the family.But if the table turns,I will gladly take care of my family and kids.I will do it happily and enjoy myself while doing so cos life is to short to start hidding money up and down,life is too short to make the little God has blessed you with to become a burden.But never again will my boyfriend know how much I have,even he is in any financial mess,he should sort it out himself.Because if you look at it very well,all this men that turn out to be like that in marriage are mostly the ones that spends ladies money during courtship.It is better I don't see that tendency in him at all than to see it but still go ahead to marry him out of desperation thinking that he would change.He won't change,he will only get worse! A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2015
precisionindepth:
next u will hear ds so called men saying girls like money whereas most of dem are downright irresponsible. experiences abound....Irresponsible, skirt wearing men!
lol. @skirt wearing. grin. ...nice username btw

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"My Husband Buys Chicken From Fastfood, Eats Alone, Hides Payment Receipts" / Help!! My Father Has Too Much Interest On Widows / How Much Do You Spend A Week As A Single Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.