Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,851 members, 7,802,730 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Sugar!!!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sugar!!!!! (820 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sugar!!!!! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2015
She takes a lot of sugar beyond careful.... because of this we took are to a hospital to run test because we felt it wasn't safe as we kw the dangers of too much of everything .... but when we got to the hospital... she was test run only for the result to state that are sugar content in her body is too low and advisable that she take more sugar .... omg !!! about three hospital with the same result
I don't kW guys is it true that a sugar content can be low in the body even when u taking too much of it...? then how comes pple suffer from diabetes even when they have little of it? so confusing
She takes a lot of sugar beyond careful.... because of this we took are to a hospital to run test because we felt it wasn't safe as we kw the dangers of too much of everything .... but when we got to the hospital... she was test run only for the result to state that are sugar content in her body is too low and advisable that she take more sugar .... omg !!! about three hospital with the same result
I don't kW guys is it true that a sugar content can be low in the body even when u taking too much of it...? then how comes pple suffer from diabetes even when they have little of it? so confusing
Re: Sugar!!!!! by meldeezyne(f): 12:37am On Feb 25, 2015
First of all I'll suggest you read this
www.meldeezyne.com/are-all-carbohydrates-sugars/
Carbohydrates/sugars provide energy for muscle contraction and other biological processes in the body. It serves as fuel also to the central nervous system cos the brain primarily uses glucose as its source of energy ( it's a major glucose consumer in the body)

1. As regards your question (how so much sugar intake could still result in low blood sugar level?-hypoglycemia)
My response would be:
Balance I.e. Intake versus Usage
...so in her case her metabolic rate/physical activity(Usage) could actually be greater than how much sugar she consumes(Intake)
2. And as to people suffering from Diabetes when they have little of it
*By that statement, I think what u meant there was people consuming little sugar INSTEAD of people having little sugar in their bloodstream. Because Diabetes mellitus(DM) itself is characterized by sustained high blood sugar

Answer
Some people r genetically predisposed to Type 1 DM
Other cases could be of damaged beta cells in the islet of langerhans of the pancreas which produces insulin. And when insulin is unavailable, consumed sugar -even if it's small accumulates and wanders in the bloodstream.
PS: Insulin is a hormone secreted by the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. It regulates storage of glycogen in the liver and accelerates oxidation of sugar in cells.

All these grammar simply means that insulin is a 'mop', that mops up sugar from the bloodstream by activating it's entry and storage in the muscles , liver and co plc...lol
So even tho u take in small sugar, as long as there is no *mop*, d sugar wil keep accumulating in d blood till it becomes a problem(DM)

I hope this helps clear the confusion
Re: Sugar!!!!! by Nobody: 9:34am On Feb 25, 2015
meldeezyne:
First of all I'll suggest you read this
www.meldeezyne.com/are-all-carbohydrates-sugars/
Carbohydrates/sugars provide energy for muscle contraction and other biological processes in the body. It serves as fuel also to the central nervous system cos the brain primarily uses glucose as its source of energy ( it's a major glucose consumer in the body)

1. As regards your question (how so much sugar intake could still result in low blood sugar level?-hypoglycemia)
My response would be:
Balance I.e. Intake versus Usage
...so in her case her metabolic rate/physical activity(Usage) could actually be greater than how much sugar she consumes(Intake)
2. And as to people suffering from Diabetes when they have little of it
*By that statement, I think what u meant there was people consuming little sugar INSTEAD of people having little sugar in their bloodstream. Because Diabetes mellitus(DM) itself is characterized by sustained high blood sugar

Answer
Some people r genetically predisposed to Type 1 DM
Other cases could be of damaged beta cells in the islet of langerhans of the pancreas which produces insulin. And when insulin is unavailable, consumed sugar -even if it's small accumulates and wanders in the bloodstream.
PS: Insulin is a hormone secreted by the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. It regulates storage of glycogen in the liver and accelerates oxidation of sugar in cells.

All these grammar simply means that insulin is a 'mop', that mops up sugar from the bloodstream by activating it's entry and storage in the muscles , liver and co plc...lol
So even tho u take in small sugar, as long as there is no *mop*, d sugar wil keep accumulating in d blood till it becomes a problem(DM)

I hope this helps clear the confusion
Doctors are all the same even on nairaland, I am now super confused ... all those Grammar is not for an Accountant .. insulin, blood that blood this .. madam pls you HV spoken well but can u just break it down a bit if possible use the calculation take ... I understood the intake and usage but the rest grammar sent me to the dark... God bless

1 Like

Re: Sugar!!!!! by meldeezyne(f): 11:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
RicardozRichard:

Doctors are all the same even on nairaland, I am now super confused ... all those Grammar is not for an Accountant .. insulin, blood that blood this .. madam pls you HV spoken well but can u just break it down a bit if possible use the calculation take ... I understood the intake and usage but the rest grammar sent me to the dark... God bless

Ok
- someone who has a family history of diabetes mellitus can inherit it
-a person with a damaged pancreas too can have it because that is the organ that produces the hormone (insulin)
u can read the 'mop' part alone, again

God bless u too
Re: Sugar!!!!! by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 02, 2015
meldeezyne:

Ok
- someone who has a family history of diabetes mellitus can inherit it
-a person with a damaged pancreas too can have it because that is the organ that produces the hormone (insulin)
u can read the 'mop' part alone, again

God bless u too
how does inheritance play a role in the above explanation over the thread placed...
-yea pancreas is responsible for the hormone insulin and if damaged it can cause such to happen but the mop part alone is now causing damages in my brain oooo

(1) (Reply)

Am Addicted To Sugary Things And I Dont Know To Stop, Any Advice Pls? / In Urgent Need Of The Best Fat Shed Supplement / Eradication/elimination Of Unwelcomed Pests And Rodents In Your Environment#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.