Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (53169 Views)

Nigerian Lady Bags First Class In Law From UK University (Photos) / Nigerian Girl Shines In UK University As She Bags Multiple Msc Awards. Photos / Nigerian Man Bags Masters Degree With Distinction From UK University. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by SafecozzyTeam: 10:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
Is this Britain's cleverest girl?
Ten-year-old is accepted on university course to study maths degree despite not going to school

Esther Okade from Walsall has enrolled on Open University course
After degree she wants to study for PhD before running her own bank
Girl's younger brother Isiah is already studying for A-levels aged six
Siblings are both home-schooled by mathematician mother Omonefe

She spends her spare time in a similar way to many other ten-year-old girls - playing with Barbie dolls and making loom bands.
But the key difference between Esther Okade and other children her age is that she has been accepted to study for a university maths degree - despite not going to school.

Esther, from Walsall, West Midlands, has enrolled on an Open University course months after she passed her A-levels - and wants to study for a PhD before running her own bank.

The girl, who gained a C grade in her maths GCSE aged six, has joined the course which started this month. Her younger brother Isiah is already studying for his A-levels - also aged six.

The siblings are both home-schooled by their mother Omonefe, who has converted the living room of their semi-detached, three-bedroom house into a makeshift classroom.

Mathematician Mrs Okade, 37, said: ‘Esther is doing so well. She took a test recently and scored 100 per cent. Applying to the university was an interesting process because of her age.

‘We even had to talk to the vice-chancellor. After they interviewed her they realised that this has been her idea from the beginning. From the age of seven Esther has wanted to go to university

‘But I was afraid it was too soon. She would say, “Mum, when am I starting?”, and go on and on and on. Finally, after three years she told me, “Mum, I think it is about time I started university now”.’

Mrs Okade added that Esther - who will study for her degree at home - was ‘flying’ and ‘so happy’ when she was accepted by the university, and wants to be a millionaire.

She said: ‘For now we want her to enjoy her childhood as well as her maths. By the time she was four I had taught her the alphabet, her numbers, and how to add, subtract, multiply and division.

‘I saw that she loved patterns so developed a way of using that to teach her new things. I thought I would try her with algebra, and she loved it more than anything.’

Esther stunned her parents last year when she achieved a B grade in her pure maths A-level.

She applied to the Open University last August - and after a phone interview, an essay and an exam, she was told in December that she had been accepted onto the course.

Mum, I think it is about time I started university now
What Esther Okade told her mother

Her father Paul, 42, a managing director, added: ‘I cannot tell you how happy and proud I am as a father. The desire of every parent is to see their children exceed them, and take the family name to great heights, and my children have done just that.’

In 1981 Ruth Lawrence, of Brighton, became the youngest person to pass the exam for Oxford University, as a ten-year-old - and graduated aged 13 with a first-class degree in maths.

Now aged 43 and a married mother-of-two, Mrs Lawrence is an associate professor of maths at the Einstein Institute of Mathematics, at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2965362/Is-Britain-s-cleverest-girl-Ten-year-old-accepted-university-course-study-maths-degree-despite-not-going-school.html#ixzz3Se86SwuJ

46 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by SafecozzyTeam: 10:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
these meant to be the dreams of every young girl... Please Mods to the front page to encourage younger ones that they can still succeed through education.. these are the respectable & unquestionable future leaders of tomorrow in these country of ours.

read more on
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2965362/Is-Britain-s-cleverest-girl-Ten-year-old-accepted-university-course-study-maths-degree-despite-not-going-school.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.safecozzy.com/news/a-nigerian-girl-10yr-old-accepted-in-uk-university-to-study-maths-degree/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
amazing!unbelievable!
I pray for such an amazing child. So lovely

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
Congrats sister. People like you are the answers to all Nigeria ' s problems

Not those people that say 21 million Nigerians are mentally retarded. angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Tolexander: 10:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
dovelike:
Congrats sister. People like you are the answers to all Nigeria ' s problems
that is if those brothers do not use their prick to change her destiny and call to answer nigeria's problem

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by niceprof: 10:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
good luck girl by 2019 you will be graduating with a first class and those who judged you by your age will be baffled at how transformed your world would have become.
whim God have blessed no man can curse.

16 Likes

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:
that is if those brothers do not use their prick to change her destiny
LMAO!.
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:
that is if those brothers do not use their prick to change her destiny
Are you the one on your DP? Are you among the 21 million?? shocked

6 Likes

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
prettydiva89:
amazing!unbelievable!
I pray for such an amazing child. So lovely
That's why you need to get married to an amazing dude like b0rn2fuck. grin.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Tolexander: 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
dovelike:

Are you the one on your DP? Are you among the 21 million?? shocked
ya, i am the one in my DP!

i joined the 21millions after you infected me by bitting me shocked

13 Likes

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
That's why you need to get married to an amazing dude like b0rn2fuck. grin.
lol. Sincerely the gal is super
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by kodded(m): 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
OP PLEASE WHAT HER IQ ?
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by tobillionaire(m): 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
So d mother has been teaching her only maths maths maths
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
prettydiva89:

lol. Sincerely the gal is super
The Kudos should go to her parents, after all, intelligence is hereditary, or so they say.
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
kodded:
OP PLEASE WHAT HER IQ ?
10000%

1 Like

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
The Kudos should go to her parents, after all, intelligence is hereditary, or so they say.
maybe,but am already in love with her.
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 11:05pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 11:05pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:

I hope it wasn't your prick dovelike bit! shocked LMAO
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by kodded(m): 11:06pm On Feb 23, 2015
prettydiva89:

10000%
LOL
SHE BE Einstein ? shocked
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:

Hahahahaha. Your making me laugh hard. I no follow you oooo. God bless Nigeria anyways
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2015
kodded:

LOL
SHE BE Einstein ? shocked
she pass am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Tolexander: 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
I hope it wasn't your prick dovelike bit! shocked LMAO
that's something i could appreciate from her shocked
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 11:08pm On Feb 23, 2015
prettydiva89:

maybe,but am already in love with her.
Em sorry to say this but its kinda weird for you to love this kid! I mean she being a minor and all, I guess its not only Senator Yerima lil girls should be afraid of now. grin
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by kodded(m): 11:08pm On Feb 23, 2015
prettydiva89:

she pass am.
YOU SURE ? cheesy
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by joseph1832(m): 11:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
Tolexander:
that's something i could appreciate from her shocked
I see. Dovelike over to you, please bite it well eh. grin grin grin
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:10pm On Feb 23, 2015
kodded:
YOU SURE ? cheesy
yea
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Tolexander: 11:10pm On Feb 23, 2015
dovelike:

Hahahahaha. Your making me laugh hard. I no follow you oooo. God bless Nigeria anyways
i'm a good leader!

1 Like

Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Tolexander: 11:12pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
i promise i'm not gonna cry, but scream.
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
Em sorry to say this but its kinda weird for you to love this kid! I mean she being a minor and all, I guess its not only Senator Yerima lil girls should be afraid of now. grin
hey love cos she's intelligent and not any other kind of love,its a sister to sister love
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by Nobody: 11:16pm On Feb 23, 2015
joseph1832:
See your eye
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by DesChyko: 11:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
Awkward.
Re: 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree by SafecozzyTeam: 11:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
nigerian System of education being backward before BC
sorry i ws so blunt

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Most Embarrassing Moment On Campus / Nigerian University With the Highest Number Of Rich Kids? / 5 Secondary School Students Promise Not To Get Pregnant Till They Graduate. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.