Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries (1664 Views)

How Best Do We Dispose Off Our Waste? / If You Know The Usefulness Of Egg Shells You Will Never Dispose It Again / How Best Do You Dispose Your Sanitary Pad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by Blazinraj01(f): 10:03am On Feb 24, 2015
In advanced Societies, the Government would make provisions for these.
I've noticed that most of us dispose of these items carelessly not minding the hazard it will cause to others.
Though some State Government have introduced Waste Disposal System which has served as a means of disposal for some of us but our waste ain't marked recycled and non recycled waste.
From the little research I did, I learnt certain light bulbs contain a significant amount of mercury and are quite toxic also batteries too contain it's own harmful chemicals.
Vegetable oil is safe but it shouldn't be disposed down the drain because it clogs it. I learnt it can be made into biodiesel for car engines.
Someone suggested one can simply bury batteries into the ground.
I would love suggestions on how best to dispose these waste, (lightbulbs, used batteries, used vegetable oil as well as perfume cans) so that we all can benefit from it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by SuperSuave(m): 10:15am On Feb 24, 2015
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by dkronicle(m): 10:27am On Feb 24, 2015
wait for lawma in any b/stop... d remainin bcoms history.
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by balash(m): 11:09am On Feb 24, 2015
Now that's revealing and thought provocating.. I would love to know also how to dispose batteries and perfume cans etc.

Am sure it can be recycled into something else.

Anyone with idea..
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by Blazinraj01(f): 11:15am On Feb 24, 2015
dkronicle:
wait for lawma in any b/stop... d remainin bcoms history.
That's the assumption. I don't live in Lagos.
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by aboki2000(m): 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
Blazinraj01:
I've noticed that most of us dispose of these items carelessly not minding the hazard it will cause to others.
Though some State Government have introduced Waste Disposal System which has served as a means of disposal for some of us but our waste ain't marked recycled and non recycled waste.
From the little research I did, I learnt certain light bulbs contain a significant amount of mercury and are quite toxic also batteries too contain it's own harmful chemicals.
Vegetable oil is safe but it shouldn't be disposed down the drain because it clogs it. I learnt it can be made into biodiesel for car engines.
I would love suggestions on how best to dispose these waste, (lightbulbs, used batteries, used vegetable oil as well as perfume cans) so that we all can benefit from it.
Resell them ! In western countries and Asia's all the used tins are resellables go figure undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by Blazinraj01(f): 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2015
aboki2000:
Resell them ! In western countries and Asia's all the used tins are resellables go figure undecided
Thanks smiley
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by Seun(m): 8:31pm On Jun 18, 2017
Used vegetable oil can probably be mixed with the food of omnivorous animal such as pigs and chickens in small quantities (I would start with 5% and adjust it based on how they handle it). It may not be good for their long term health, but they don't usually get to live long anyway.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by david5565: 10:51pm On Sep 02, 2017
Light bulbs

-Incandescents can be resmelted for glass and aluminium or iron. I'm not sure about the epoxy but I've seen it being collected.
-CCFL(EnergySavers) can be restored, disassembled for components, aluminium and plastics

Used Oil
Can be modified and used as Diesel fuel, Refined and reused (albeit with a health caveat), refined and converted to soap, refined and blended with other oils for cream, used as lamp fuel or fire starters

Batteries
Resell for scrap value, burn properly for disposal, collect pastes and make new batteries.

My 2 kobo!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by 1stHooligan(m): 6:12am On Jun 25, 2019
Blazinraj01:
I used to hear and see people burying dead batteries. The problem I have always have with them is, obviously, the soil composition will be harmed by the toxicity of the batteries.
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by 1stHooligan(m): 6:14am On Jun 25, 2019
Seun:
Used vegetable oil can probably be mixed with the food of omnivorous animal such as pigs and chickens in small quantities (I would start with 5% and adjust it based on how they handle it). It may not be good for their long term health, but they don't usually get to live long anyway.
funny. Long is relative, nothing lives long enough anyways.
Re: How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries by Blazinraj01(f): 4:14pm On Jun 25, 2019
1stHooligan:
I used to hear and see people burying dead batteries. The problem I have always have with them is, obviously, the soil composition will be harmed by the toxicity of the batteries.
I didn't even know this. There are so many untapped potentials in this country.

(1) (Reply)

Luth School Of Nursing Past Questions / Health Care Electronic Visit Verification | Home Care Software Agencies / Suggestion For Good Hospital/clinic Around Ketu,ogidu And Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.