Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? (1517 Views)

Common Challenges Faced By Bloggers And How To Overcome Them / How Reliable Are Nigerian Web Hosting Companies? / Advice Needed: Is Whogohost.com The Best Nigeria Web Hosting Provider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 3:01pm On Feb 25, 2015
I would like us all to rub mind together on the challenges surrounding Nigeria Web hosting, and also how to tackle it.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:
I would like us all to rub mind together on the challenges surrounding Nigeria Web hosting, and also how to tackle it.

Thanks in anticipation.

You dont need to rub minds with anyone.

Its not rocketscience.

Lack of electricity and slow internet are the bane of Nigeria webhosting companies.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 3:14pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

You dont need to rub minds with anyone.

Its not rocketscience.

Lack of electricity and slow internet are the bane of Nigeria webhosting companies.

But the servers are all abroad been managed by experts, so how is electricity and slow internet connection the cause of Nigeria Web hosting down time?
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

But the servers are all abroad been managed by experts, so how is electricity and slow internet connection the cause of Nigeria Web hosting down time?

If the servers are abroad, then its not a Nigerian hosting company, per se.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 3:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

If the servers are abroad, then its not a Nigerian hosting company, per se.

You and I knows that they resell.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

You and I knows that they resell.

Oh that.

I thought you were talking about total independence.

I run my own servers independently.

All I need are light and internet connection.

But the web address will be in form of numbers eg 192.168.0.1. (Something like that).

I'm ok with that, as long as i dont have to pay nobody.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

Oh that.

I thought you were talking about total independence.

I run my own servers independently.

All I need are light and internet connection.

But the web address will be in form of numbers eg 192.168.0.1. (Something like that).

I'm ok with that, as long as i dont have to pay nobody.

That is to say your system/server will be 24/7 online?

Internet enabled and power.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 3:51pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

That is to say your system/server will be 24/7 online?

Internet enabled and power.

Of course!

Thats what I thought you were talking about.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

Of course!

Thats what I thought you were talking about.

Nope.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 4:02pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

Nope.

Well, to answer your question, the problem with Nigerian webhosting companies is it doesnt have ample uptime. (Most are not up to 50%)

A webpage visited now might not load after a few seconds.

The customer service is wack (little or no customer service).

And there are instances of sites with .ng web extensions that have been taken down without prior notice.

Most people dont like that.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 4:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

Well, to answer your question, the problem with Nigerian webhosting companies is it doesnt have ample uptime. (Most are not up to 50%)

A webpage visited now might not load after a few seconds.

The customer service is wack (little or no customer service).

And there are instances of sites with .ng web extensions that have been taken down without prior notice.

Most people dont like that.

What actually is the cause of the down time?
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

What actually is the cause of the down time?

Lack of server maintenance.

Thats why customer care is very important.

Naija hosting companies lack that.

You can employ people to work for you as virtual assistants (live chatting and answering calls) (eg from liveops.com)

That way, you'll know when your servers are down and need attention.

Webhosting is not for people with naija mentality.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 5:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

Lack of server maintenance.

Thats why customer care is very important.

Naija hosting companies lack that.

You can employ people to work for you as virtual assistants (live chatting and answering calls) (eg from liveops.com)

That way, you'll know when your servers are down and need attention.

Webhosting is not for people with naija mentality.

I believe they aren't the one doing the server maintenance.

Lets go into this direction, employ people to work as virtual assistance.

Where exactly will all the money come from, if you check the price of Nigeria web hosting you will see all this their 2,500 NGN per year.
Do you think with such amount one can get all this in place?
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 5:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
Youngzedd:

I believe they aren't the one doing the server maintenance.

Lets go into this direction, employ people to work as virtual assistance.

Where exactly will all the money come from, if you check the price of Nigeria web hosting you will see all this their 2,500 NGN per year.
Do you think with such amount one can get all this in place?

If you're not the one maintaining the server, then you have eliminated half of the problem.

As for your question, thats why webhosting is not for the faint hearted.

You need to maintain it from your pocket till you start making profit.

Customer care is the most important thing in business.

For web hosting, you need 24hr customer care, cos people can patronize you any time, and they'll need assistance in moving around the cpanel.

And alot of other problems that arise with hosting.

If you cant employ people, you can ask for help from your friends (who will take it seriously).

They mustn't be physically present with you....they can be anywhere around the world, all you need to do is to tell them the times they'll login.

As for the N2500, thats the standard startup fee for a year to attract customers.

The price increases during the subsequent years.

And you REALLY need to advertise your company so people can patronize.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 6:52pm On Feb 25, 2015
jerflakes:

If you're not the one maintaining the server, then you have eliminated half of the problem.

For web hosting, you need 24hr customer care, cos people can patronize you any time, and they'll need assistance in moving around the cpanel.

If you cant employ people, you can ask for help from your friends (who will take it seriously).

They mustn't be physically present with you....they can be anywhere around the world, all you need to do is to tell them the times they'll login.

As for the N2500, thats the standard startup fee for a year to attract customers.

I really appreciate.

Thanks.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Vicben(m): 3:27pm On Feb 26, 2015
jerflakes:

Thanks for your posts. Very enlightening. I think the best thing to do if one is serious with their online presence is to host with one the world's renounced hosts with 247 customer care guarantee
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by jerflakes(m): 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2015
Vicben:
Thanks for your posts. Very enlightening. I think the best thing to do if one is serious with their online presence is to host with one the world's renounced hosts with 247 customer care guarantee

Thats the best idea.

No time for looong thing.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by DualCore1: 10:12pm On Feb 26, 2015
1. Currency exchange rates
2. Little or no technical experience, just WHM experience.
3. Poor customer support
4. Weak security if any
5. Clients from hell
6. Clients who hate to update their CMS sites
7. Fraudulent clients repeatedly registering fake bank and courier sites.

To correct some statements above:
Some Nigerian host service providers handle server maintenance, right from building the box to putting it on a rack in the DC. It is called collocation. Some hosts get blank servers from DCS on a monthly lease and do all the configs, they are called unmanaged servers.
In my opinion I don't see resellers as host service providers, they are what they are, resellers and they usually will not offer more than the shared and reseller hosting plans on their sites.
Re: What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? by Youngzedd(m): 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2015
DualCore1:
1. Currency exchange rates
2. Little or no technical experience, just WHM experience.
3. Poor customer support
4. Weak security if any
5. Clients from hell
6. Clients who hate to update their CMS sites
7. Fraudulent clients repeatedly registering fake bank and courier sites.

To correct some statements above:
Some Nigerian host service providers handle server maintenance, right from building the box to putting it on a rack in the DC. It is called collocation. Some hosts get blank servers from DCS on a monthly lease and do all the configs, they are called unmanaged servers.
In my opinion I don't see resellers as host service providers, they are what they are, resellers and they usually will not offer more than the shared and reseller hosting plans on their sites.

That is buying unmanaged server and manage it by the owner right?

That requires technical

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Memories From The Just Concluded MTN Techplus Event / Come In Nairalanders Items For Sale / Bloggers In The House I Need Urgent Answer To This Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.