Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking (3599 Views)

Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking / 21 Overwhelming Images Showing The Effects Of Humans On Earth / Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Ksslib(m): 8:38pm On Feb 25, 2015
This is what one of the worlds best Physicist, or Astrophysicist if you choose to call him so, has to say about our future and survival as humans on the very planet we call home(Earth)....

π: If humanity is to survive long-term, it must find a way to get off planet Earth ? and fast, according to famed astrophysicist Stephen Hawking.

In fact, human beings may have less than 200 years to figure out how to escape our planet, Hawking said in a recent interview with video site Big Think. Otherwise our species could be at risk for extinction, he said.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million," Hawking said. "Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward-looking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space."

Humans stuck on Earth are at risk from two kinds of catastrophes, Hawking said. First, the kind we bring on ourselves, such as possible devastating impacts from climate change, or nuclear or biological warfare.
A number of cosmic phenomena could spell our demise, too. An asteroid could slam into Earth, killing large swaths of the population and rendering the planet uninhabitable. Or a supernova or gamma-ray burst near our spot in the Milky Way could prove ruinous for life on Earth.

Life on Earth could even be threatened by an extraterrestrial civilization, Hawking has pointed out on his Discovery Channel television series, "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking."
Dangerous aliens may want to take over the planet to use its resources for themselves, he said in the series. It would be safer for the survival of our species if we had people living on other worlds as a backup plan, Hawking proposed.

"The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet," he told Big Think. "Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."

http://m.space.com/8924-stephen-hawking-humanity-won-survive-leaving-earth.html
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Ksslib(m): 8:40pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ooops.. Wrong section.

I meant to post this on science and technology, not Fashion.

Lalalastica.. Abeg help me move am.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
D
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by CrazyScientist: 8:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
These oyinbo people. ...

I commented my reserve.... lipsrsealed
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Leopantro: 8:56pm On Feb 25, 2015
I accept his premise. however, Why 200 years? if in regards to the complications of climate change then 200 years is just right. if due to annihilation by other beings, that's long overdue.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by lordizak(m): 9:17pm On Feb 25, 2015
he
should use science to solve his health problems, not doom prediction for humans.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Ksslib(m): 9:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
Leopantro:
I accept his premise. however, Why 200 years? if in regards to the complications of climate change then 200 years is just right. if due to annihilation by other beings, that's long overdue.
I believe 200yrs was just an estimate. However, if I were to bet on what the source of our extinction MIGHT be, I wouldn't bet on climate change given the fact alot measures are being put in place today to totally go green. Except of course the climate change being referred to here, has nothing to do with our gaseous pollution, but some powerful sudden galactical climatic shift somewhere in the cosmos we never contributed to in the first place.

If I were to bet, I ll bet on something from space- asteroid, powerful radioactive rays that can break through earth's electro-magnetic field..e..t..c

It was only when i started watching/ reading on what happens in space that I truly came to believe its indeed a miracle that humans have even survived this long. The stuffs that have been keeping/still keeps us safe from the ever threating dangers all over 'Space' is just amazing .
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by giantstrides(m): 9:35pm On Feb 25, 2015
200 years?
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Leopantro: 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ksslib:

I believe 200yrs was just an estimate. However, if I were to bet on what the source of our extinction MIGHT be, I wouldn't bet on climate change given the fact alot measures are being put in place today to totally go green. Except of course the climate change being referred to here, has nothing to do with our gaseous pollution, but some powerful sudden galactical climatic shift somewhere in the cosmos we never contributed to in the first place.

If I were to bet, I ll bet on something from space- asteroid, powerful radioactive rays that can break through earth's magnetic field..e..t..c

It was only when i started watching/ reading on what happens in space that I truly came to believe its indeed a miracle that humans have even survived this long. The stuffs that have been keeping/still keeps us safe from the ever threating dangers all over 'Space' is just amazing .

couldn't agree more
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 2:20am On Feb 26, 2015
Interesting...
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Ksslib(m): 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
Lalasticlala,erm move this thing to science and technology na. I told you since yesterday na. angry

Edit: My bad. I initially spelt the name wrongly. That's probably why you didn't get the mention.

Help me move am when you see this.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by kemiola89(f): 9:38am On Mar 01, 2015
I believe there's a possibility of human race going into extinction if other species like dinosaur could become extinct, but isn't 200 years an understated figure?

History has it that some creatures existed many thousand years ago before human, but where are they today? So the chances of human becoming extinct are very high.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:18am On Mar 02, 2015
The human race is a young race, we're barely a million years old.
I doubt that 200 years.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 2:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
I agree with everything except that alien part. Why would a species travel millions of miles just destroy a planet. Except they are those crazy religious guys who thought everything in the universe revolve around them. But any race which is advanced enough to have achieved that feat will know better
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 5:13pm On Mar 02, 2015
Ksslib:

If I were to bet, I ll bet on something from space- asteroid, powerful radioactive rays that can break through earth's electro-magnetic field..e..t..c

What of the numerous bio and nuclear weapons being created? Don't you think it could also lead to the extinction of humans?

That aside, little wonder why serious researches are going on in order to see man's chance of survival in Mars!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 8:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
Feraz:
What of the numerous bio and nuclear weapons being created? Don't you think it could also lead to the extinction of humans?

That aside, little wonder why serious researches are going on in order to see man's chance of survival in Mars!!!
Man will never colonize Mars though it can be use as an outpost. Sometimes I wonder why our two neighbors which are suppose to share similarities with earth are so hostile. Venus, dense co2 atmosphere with high temperature and pressure. It is not a surprise co2 being a green house gas with heavy molecular weight. Venus is a symbol of what earth will look like in a billion or 2 years. Mars another exciting planet but the Complete opposite of Venus, thin atmosphere no protection from the sun. Our only hope is to look outside our solar system, their over a 100 billion sun in our galaxy and they have their own systems and planets. The possibilities of life and a comfortable planet is there and I nasa is doing the right thing. Finding a habitable planet is one thing traveling there is another
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Fulaman198(m): 9:00pm On Mar 02, 2015
Humans have far longer than 200 more years to survive. However, how much longer? That's questionable. Why? Our sun itself before it turns into a decaying star has about 5 billion years of life left. However, I don't see humans living up to 5 billion more years (even though we are the most adaptive species to date).

What I do see is that the human species being conquered and decimated by a more competent, fit and less bigoted race. Not necessarily more intelligent (though it wouldn't surprise me with the way many humans reason), but one that is more united.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 9:20pm On Mar 02, 2015
Fulaman198:
Humans have far longer than 200 more years to survive. However, how much longer? That's questionable. Why? Our sun itself before it turns into a decaying star has about 5 billion years of life left. However, I don't see humans living up to 5 billion more years (even though we are the most adaptive species to date).

What I do see is that the human species being conquered and decimated by a more competent, fit and less bigoted race. Not necessarily more intelligent (though it wouldn't surprise me with the way many humans reason), but one that is more united.
I total agree with everything you wrote, but even if we manage to survive all the odds against us when our sun begin to age I don't see humans surviving above 1.5 billion from now and, also remember and silent danger is our gradually receding moon. Without the moon our weather will become chaotic, and many species will die off because they depend on the for their mating ritual. All in all I think what is going to be is going to be, I believe nature destroys so that it can make improvements
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Fulaman198(m): 9:38pm On Mar 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

I total agree with everything you wrote, but even if we manage to survive all the odds against us when our sun begin to age I don't see humans surviving above 1.5 billion from now and, also remember and silent danger is our gradually receding moon. Without the moon our weather will become chaotic, and many species will die off because they depend on the for their mating ritual. All in all I think what is going to be is going to be, I believe nature destroys so that it can make improvements

Well, you have to remember that human beings are adaptable to most things including weather. We will build infrastructures that can withstand forces of nature. Over periods of time, human beings have shown they are more than capable of doing this. Look at the homes and buildings in California that are able to withstand being decimated by Earthquakes, I can assure you people in Japan will build infrastructure that can withstand typhoons.

There is a reason why in different parts of the world, human beings design their homes in such a way to be adaptable to their respective climates.

With the advent of technology which continues to change, I do believe that human beings will be around for a very long time. The only thing that will destroy humans are themselves or another species that are superior.

The human beings biggest weakness is being selfish, by being selfish, we will never work together to overcome our shortcomings. Instead, a more advanced and less bigoted race will arise and wipe human beings out.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 10:08pm On Mar 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well, you have to remember that human beings are adaptable to most things including weather. We will build infrastructures that can withstand forces of nature. Over periods of time, human beings have shown they are more than capable of doing this. Look at the homes and buildings in California that are able to withstand being decimated by Earthquakes, I can assure you people in Japan will build infrastructure that can withstand typhoons.

There is a reason why in different parts of the world, human beings design their homes in such a way to be adaptable to their respective climates.

With the advent of technology which continues to change, I do believe that human beings will be around for a very long time. The only thing that will destroy humans are themselves or another species that are superior.

The human beings biggest weakness is being selfish, by being selfish, we will never work together to overcome our shortcomings. Instead, a more advanced and less bigoted race will arise and wipe human beings out.
I know we are going to adapt technologically to extent, and I also since the death of our sun is not automatic but a gradual process, human anatomy and that of other species is going to change though not the way portrayed in Hollywood sci-fi movies, I think everything has it limit. What happens when the water and ocean run Dry. What happens when our precious o2 is lost leaving the heavier co2 and other green house gases which will over increase temperature and pressure on earth. By 1.5 years from now the earth is going to be raw hell. Everything about our universe points to destruction, even if man conquer space and time, the universe itself is pointing toward destruction man can only survive as long as he can
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 10:36pm On Mar 02, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Man will never colonize Mars though it can be use as an outpost. Sometimes I wonder why our two neighbors which are suppose to share similarities with earth are so hostile. Venus, dense co2 atmosphere with high temperature and pressure. It is not a surprise co2 being a green house gas with heavy molecular weight. Venus is a symbol of what earth will look like in a billion or 2 years. Mars another exciting planet but the Complete opposite of Venus, thin atmosphere no protection from the sun. Our only hope is to look outside our solar system, their over a 100 billion sun in our galaxy and they have their own systems and planets. The possibilities of life and a comfortable planet is there and I nasa is doing the right thing. Finding a habitable planet is one thing traveling there is another
What exactly is your reason for man not being able to colonize Mars? The weather conditions maybe? But it has been said that it is possible for one to terraform the planet to suit our conditions for survival only that the existing technology ain't there for now!!!

1 Like

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 11:55pm On Mar 02, 2015
Feraz:
What exactly is your reason for man not being able to colonize Mars? The weather conditions maybe? But it has been said that it is possible for one to terraform the planet to suit our conditions for survival only that the existing technology ain't there for now!!!
The idea of teraforming mars is just a wishful thinking, it is not in the plan of nasa or any mainstream scientific body. It might interest you to know that there are also the idea of teraforming Venus which they know is unproductive. The best is to look for a younger habitable planet and I think that is main plan by nasa
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by olorunthobby(f): 11:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
nna this land is for sale ! PM me for my bank account number
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by olorunthobby(f): 11:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
nna biko .. those ones na story for the gods. 200years you come still dey argue abii wetin sef ? you sure sey maybe you fit see next 15 mins ..?? we just dey hope for God.. even If na just 100years remain, abeg God make the rest of my meaningful to me I want to live Large. so help me God. Amen.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 3:31am On Mar 06, 2015
Hmmmm....we do need to broaden our stand in the galaxy.
I mean we just live on one planet alone...which could change sporadically as it did for the dinosaurs(thus rendering them extinct)
I think we could terra-form other places to suit our long term survival, but that only depends on our willingness and cooperation to do so....

1 Like

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by macof(m): 10:35am On Mar 06, 2015
Blakjewelry:

I know we are going adapt technologically to extent, and I also since the dead of our sun is not automatic but a gradual process, human anatomy and that of other species is going to change though not the way portrayed in Hollywood sci-fi , I think everything has it limit. What happens when the water and ocean run Dry. What happens when our precious o2 is lost leaving co2 and other green house gases which will over increase temperature and pressure on earth. By 1.5 years from now the earth is going to be raw hell. Everything about our universe points to destruction, even if conquer space and time, the universe itself is pointing toward destruction man can only survive as long as he can

grin grin endtime
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 2:43pm On Mar 06, 2015
macof:

grin grin endtime

Everything that has a beginning must have and end, but I think it just a cycle. When one ends another will begin
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by macof(m): 5:56pm On Mar 06, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Everything that has a beginning must have and end, but I think it just a cycle. When one ends another will begin

Wat makes u think the universe had a beginning? For it to have an end to fit the purpose of a cycle

Am really interested in why u said the universe is heading for destruction
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 12:45am On Mar 07, 2015
macof:

Wat makes u think the universe had a beginning? For it to have an end to fit the purpose of a cycle

Am really interested in why u said the universe is heading for destruction
The universe has a beginning and there are alot of scientific fact to proof. There are alot of scientific data collection about the early time of our universe.
On the issue of the end of the universe, there are three school of thought. One the is that the current expansion of the universe will decrease due to gravity and eventually collapse but the universe appears not to be slowing down so that doesn't hold. Two it will it will continue to expand and will expend it energy and cold out. Thirdly it will continue to expand and eventually rip apart whichever ways the universe will go out someday. Scientist are still collecting data about our universe to determine it beginning and how it will end.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 4:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:
Hmmmm....we do need to broaden our stand in the galaxy.
I mean we just live on one planet alone...which could change sporadically as it did for the dinosaurs(thus rendering them extinct)
I think we could terra-form other places to suit our long term survival, but that only depends on our willingness and cooperation to do so....
For the bolded, they are there but it just remains the technology to achieve such. It is not yet feasible. . .at least, not now.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 5:07pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
For the bolded, they are there but it just remains the technology to achieve such. It is not yet feasible. . .at least, not now.
It is quite feasible, have you checked nasa's projects....they already have developed the capability....project fundings merely postpone them.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:
It is quite feasible, have you checked nasa's projects....they already have developed the capability....project fundings merely postpone them.
The last I checked, they were still collecting data on Mars but I'll update myself. If you have any link, kindly drop it. If you say it is feasible, mind enlightening me on how it can be achieved?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How TO Get Up To 1GB Free Data On Any Network With Flaim App / WAEC 2018 Animal Husbandry Practical Answer– May/june Expo / Mystery Tree That Bears Women Shaped Fruits Discovered In Thailand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.