Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking (3596 Views)

Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking / 21 Overwhelming Images Showing The Effects Of Humans On Earth / Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 5:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
The last I checked, they were still collecting data on Mars but I'll update myself. If you have any link, kindly drop it. If you say it is feasible, mind enlightening me on how it can be achieved?
"That extra wiggle room should let the space agency cope with scheduling and funding issues as they crop up in the future, NASA officials said in a teleconference with reporters"

http://m.space.com/26964-nasa-mega-rocket-2018-sls-test-launch.html
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:

"That extra wiggle room should let the space agency cope with scheduling and funding issues as they crop up in the future, NASA officials said in a teleconference with reporters"

http://m.space.com/26964-nasa-mega-rocket-2018-sls-test-launch.html
No boss. I am not talking about landing the human race on Mars. Heck, if they can send curiousity to Mars, then it is not far fetched to think that the technology to send man to Mars is close (I have even checked up on the technology - another type of Jet engine called scramjet that is being developed to take someone to another part of the world in about 1 hour say from Japan to London). I actually meant the technology for terraforming - that is what I meant that it is not yet feasible.

Thanks for the link.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 6:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
No boss. I am not talking about landing the human race on Mars. Heck, if they can send curiousity to Mars, then it is not far fetched to think that the technology to send man to Mars is close (I have even checked up on the technology - another type of Jet engine called scramjet that is being developed to take someone to another part of the world in about 1 hour say from Japan to London). I actually meant the technology for terraforming - that is what I meant that it is not yet feasible.

Thanks for the link.
Actually it is feasible and a lot of ideas are on the ground on how.....The problem again is willingness, cooperation, funding and time...
And terra-forming doesn't mean we'd make it 100% earth-like...we could start with delivering and diverting asteroids with water-ice to seed oceans and then start manipulating minerals that capture CO2(the oceans also will help in carbon sinking)...a lot is needed to be done....and it's very feasible...The problem is we think that a project should be considered "feasible" if it is done within our lifetimes and suiting our every desires and so if no funding is within it, then it's not feasible.

1 Like

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 7:07pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:
Actually it is feasible and a lot of ideas are on the ground on how.....The problem again is willingness, cooperation, funding and time...
And terra-forming doesn't mean we'd make it 100% earth-like...we could start with delivering and diverting asteroids with water-ice to seed oceans and then start manipulating minerals that capture CO2(the oceans also will help in carbon sinking)...a lot is needed to be done....and it's very feasible...The problem is we think that a project should be considered "feasible" if it is done within our lifetimes and suiting our every desires and so if no funding is within it, then it's not feasible.
How will that happen? How do you divert something that big to land on a planet or create a mirror (about three) the size of Asia (if not bigger) to heat the surface of the Martian planet?
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 7:19pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
How will that happen? How do you divert something that big to land on a planet or create a mirror (about three) the size of Asia (if not bigger) to heat the surface of the Martian planet?
First off small bodies like asteroids are easily moved by ligh beams(in space),and once directed towards the planet, the will of the planet pulls it into itself....that's all and I have no idea what you mean by mirror... undecided
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 7:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:
First off small bodies like asteroids are easily moved by ligh beams(in space),and once directed towards the planet, the will of the planet pulls it into itself....that's all and I have no idea what you mean by mirror... undecided
Omoshiro i (Japanese way of saying interesting)!!! The mirror is another way of terraforming. It is supposed to release the 'green gases' on the planet to aid the development of life forms faster.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by davien(m): 7:26pm On Mar 08, 2015
Feraz:
Omoshiro i (Japanese way of saying interesting)!!! The mirror is another way of terraforming. It is supposed to release the 'green gases' on the planet to aid the development of life forms faster.
Nice,I had no idea...I thought all that was needed is a controlled global warming scenario..
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Feraz(m): 7:57pm On Mar 08, 2015
davien:
Nice,I had no idea...I thought all that was needed is a controlled global warming scenario..
yeah. . . it somewhat works by reflecting the sun rays directly on Mars. There are about three ways of terraforming the last I checked.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 8:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
I will say it again and again the issue of teraforming is not in the plan of nasa or any mainstream scientific organization. It is just a mental projection of what can be done. The only solution is to look elsewhere and that is what nasa doing.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 10, 2015
Blakjewelry:

I know we are going to adapt technologically to extent, and I also since the death of our sun is not automatic but a gradual process, human anatomy and that of other species is going to change though not the way portrayed in Hollywood sci-fi movies, I think everything has it limit. What happens when the water and ocean run Dry. What happens when our precious o2 is lost leaving the heavier co2 and other green house gases which will over increase temperature and pressure on earth. By 1.5 years from now the earth is going to be raw hell. Everything about our universe points to destruction, even if man conquer space and time, the universe itself is pointing toward destruction man can only survive as long as he can
you underestimate the sheer power of the human mind. We can singlehandedly reverse the destruction of the very universe if given enough time to understand it.

We can invent spatial-temporal relocation. There is no limit to our ability to survive. Unless we wipe OURSELVES out. And even that, is highly unlikely.
Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by simdam500(m): 8:35am On Jul 10, 2015
I doubt

Re: Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
Teempakguy:
you underestimate the sheer power of the human mind. We can singlehandedly reverse the destruction of the very universe if given enough time to understand it.

We can invent spatial-temporal relocation. There is no limit to our ability to survive. Unless we wipe OURSELVES out. And even that, is highly unlikely.
First off we cannot colonize the whole universe even if can achieve warp drive, even the observable universe is far too big.
Secondly the universe itself is heading for self destruction.
Thirdly man can actually cause his own demise, if you doubt read up the crazy experiments conducted during the second world War. Man has the capacity to self distruct

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Help With Blackberry 9700 And Youtube / Mystery Tree That Bears Women Shaped Fruits Discovered In Thailand / How TO Get Up To 1GB Free Data On Any Network With Flaim App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.