Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,553 members, 7,801,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit (25071 Views)

What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? / The Trichotomy Of Man: Spirit Soul And Body / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Adwexky(m): 4:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
emrain:

the spirit could be evil spirit(which is rampant) or holy spirit.
[/b]So after death holyspirit (not the man's spirit) departs?[b]
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Adwexky(m): 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
emrain:

the spirit could be evil spirit(which is rampant) or holy spirit.
So after death holyspirit (not the man's spirit) departs?
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 01, 2015
Adwexky:
So after death holyspirit (not the man's spirit) departs?

lol, the spirit can like to go to hell with the soul, it's totally useless now.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Ghoxt: 6:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
prettysheila:
It has been said that the soul belongs to God while the spirit belongs to man.if u agree with that proposition.Then,can you explain the basis of your argument?

The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by kadas01(m): 6:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
Spirit is the "core" of the soul.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by dallyemmy: 6:49pm On Mar 01, 2015
Our soul actually resides in our spirit (And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul) Genesis 2:7. Though the word of God can separate the two (For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart) Hebrews 4:12. The material Spirit is made of is light (Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning) James 1:17. He is called the Father of lights.

The spirit is not flesh and blood (material component of man) (And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven)Mathew 16;17.God himself is a Spirit (God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth)John 4:24. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places (Ephesian 6:12). Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation. (Numbers 27:16)

The spirit is eternal it either go to heaven or hell though the bible says God can destroy both the body and the spirit. "In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’ (Luke 6:23-24)". The human soul can still recollect vividly who and what we knew in the physical (flesh and blood)

The soul is our emotion, consciousness, the seat of our intellect and will. God creates our individual soul to be unique therefore we react to things differently (Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations) Jeremiah 1:5. This talked about the state of a being before the spirit is knitted to the body at conception. At conception an Angel is assigned by the Father to you to ensure His purpose for your life is established (Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven) Mathew 18:10.

Also, what we hear, see and think about could corrupt our souls. (Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life) Proverbs 4;23. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ramalot(m): 6:51pm On Mar 01, 2015
smiley
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Olufemiolaolu(m): 7:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
ramalot:

Haha. I agree. Case closed.

You have just confirmed that you have no idea what either concept dictates. To that end, until you properly learn and understand them, we are having a futile debate.

It's like trying to debate the laws of Quantom Physics with a four year old who only came across the word Physics today.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge though. cool
Shame on ur lazy brain, u cant even state ur point. I knw u wont admit defeat olodo cheesy
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Ishilove: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
Billyonaire:
Nice Thread. The confusion is understandable especially because most religion messed up the theory already in their holy books.

Using electricity as illustration, Spirit is like the current that makes everything to come alive, be it radio, TV, Fridge, cars etc
The cars, fridges, TV, radio etc are the souls. Everything that lives has souls, but all living and non-living things need spirit to even be in existence. Yes, actually, both living and non-living things are actually in existence. Even the death.
I still don't get it
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Fourwinds: 7:23pm On Mar 01, 2015
dhtml18:
WITH ALL THAT I AM SEEING ABOVE! THERE IS CONFUSION IN THE LAND!
yes ooooo . I'm even confused
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Adwexky(m): 7:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
emrain:

lol, the spirit can like to go to hell with the soul, it's totally useless now.
Dont get you?
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ramalot(m): 7:40pm On Mar 01, 2015
smiley
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ezybaba(m): 7:40pm On Mar 01, 2015
Answer: The soul and the spirit are the two primary
immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to
humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern
the precise differences between the two. The word
“spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of
humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are
not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are
said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11;
Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are
spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In
Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of
the believer ( 1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3;
5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element
in humanity which gives us the ability to have an
intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word
“spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of
humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is
spirit ( John 4:24).
The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and
material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings
having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most
basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.” However,
beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of
the soul in many contexts. One of these is
humanity’s eagerness to sin ( Luke 12:26). Humanity
is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result.
The life principle of the soul is removed at the time
of physical death ( Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2).
The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many
spiritual and emotional experiences ( Job 30:25;
Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word
“soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person,
whether alive or in the afterlife.
The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable
( Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of
humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the
aspect of humanity that connects with God.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ramalot(m): 7:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
smiley
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ishilove:

I still don't get it
It's not easy to get it. let's use analysis. we can't survive without air. both living and non-living things need air to remain on their state. spirit is like that. it permeates all, activates all. without spirit soul can not be infused into your body. spirit is that cosmic binder. soul is the real us surviving on a physical world using our physical body. in essence as soul, we can survive in any planet using any body (vessel) but spirit is everywhere to power the entire universes like the electric current.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 01, 2015
our thought-life resides within the soul while the spirit connects with other spirits, even God!
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Olufemiolaolu(m): 8:54pm On Mar 01, 2015
ramalot:

haha. You're funny. As i said, until you you're properly versed in both concepts, it is futile debating them with you.

I'll help jump-start you with basic dictionary definitions of the terms.

free will
noun
noun: free will; noun: freewill

the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.
synonyms: self-determination, freedom of choice, autonomy, liberty, independence.

des·ti·ny
ˈdestinē/
noun
noun: destiny; plural noun: destinies

the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future.
"she was unable to control her own destiny"
the hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate.
"he believes in destiny"
synonyms: future, fate, fortune, doom;

Do you see the contradiction in bold? Keyword = Fate.

Free will can only occur in the absence of the concept of "fate."
On the other hand, destiny IS the presence of a defined "fate."

They CAN NOT occur simultaneously. That TOTALLY invalidates both concepts.

GET IT?
Is this d best you could offer? As if i dont have a dictionary @ my disposal. Ur analysis is nothing but a copy & paste shallow evaluation. grin
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ramalot(m): 9:24pm On Mar 01, 2015
smiley
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Solozzo(m): 9:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
The concepts of soul and spirit are subjective ideas lacking evidence. They originated from age-old superstition for example:

the images of yourself doing things in your dreams may have led to belief in a soul. Hallucinations of dead people also led to beliefs in soul, spirits, ghosts. These re elaborated further as spirit and soul.

The truth is basically we are 99% of mammals. We are only more intelligent than them.ecclesiates says men are mere beasts. We do not have any special role except to survive, die and continue evolutionary chain like other animals through our children. we only assume these special purposes and endearments based on our narcistic tendencies. Our duty on earth is to enhance the survival of ourselves and the next generation. Shikena!!

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:02pm On Mar 01, 2015
ramalot:

you might have a dictionary, but what is for certain is that you don't use it cheesy

As i said, i was only going to jump-start you in the direction to start seeking out answers.
Not an attempt to debate further.

That would be futile. Like hoping to fill a basket with water. grin
Ur thinking is pathetic.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Peefebs: 9:18am On Mar 02, 2015
Man is a Spirit, he has a soul, and dwells in a body..man's spirit is who he is-- also referred to heart, the soul is like the brain---also the called the mind, the mind controls our will, intellect and emotions, and just like our physical organs like eyes/nose/ears need our brain/mind to interpret what we see/smell/hear, so is like the soul, it intepretes our will/intellect/emotions to our spirit man....the soul is like door to our spirit, on religious terms, our spirit is what communicates with God, our soul is like our free will, the process of salvation is purely bringing our soul(will) under the control of our spirit man through God's spirit
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by adewaleh(m): 9:49am On Mar 02, 2015
The spirit goes back to the creator. your soul goes to heaven or hell...
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Bitterleafsoup: 3:24pm On Mar 02, 2015
Billyonaire:
Nice Thread. The confusion is understandable especially because most religion messed up the theory already in their holy books.

Using electricity as illustration, Spirit is like the current that makes everything to come alive, be it radio, TV, Fridge, cars etc
The cars, fridges, TV, radio etc are the souls. Everything that lives has souls, but all living and non-living things need spirit to even be in existence. Yes, actually, both living and non-living things are actually in existence. Even the death.
Your so deep sometimes...
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 02, 2015
Many believe that these words mean something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since this belief is so widespread, many are surprised to learn that it is not at all what the Bible teaches. What, then, is the soul, and what is the spirit, according to God’s Word?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/soul-and-spirit-what-do-these-terms-really-mean/

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by judeodion(m): 9:43pm On Mar 02, 2015
dolphinheart:

1.If u are a Christian , pls read ecl 3:18-20 and Gen 7 : 22 and then comment.

2. What is a soul?
3. Is there anywhere in the bible that states directly that man was given a soul.
Read up Gen 2:7... man became a living SOUL. The soul is made up of your will, emotion, mind and intellect. Music is food for the Soul.
Follow me;
The body is likened to the phone, the Spirit is likened to the sim catd while soul is likened to the memory card. The conscious and sub conscious minds are parts of the soul. The mind also is the meeting point of the Spirit and body. You therefore dream with your mind. Since emotion is a unit of the soul, you therefore feel pains there. The Bible says the Soul that sinneth shall die. It shal . Live in eternal pains... thanks and God bless you all
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by dolphinheart(m): 11:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
Ernieman:
Just as God is a triune beign, Man also is triune in Nature..Remeber God breathe into man and he became a living SOUL. Now, let's go back to the days of creation when God made man. The Bible says God made man out of the dust of the earth, He practically moulded man, made all the shapes and curves, and gave man a definite shape and at that point, man was inanimate, he was without life, he was immovable AND worthy of note is that when it was time to make man, GOD said let 'US' make man....meaning God the (Father, Son and Spirit) came together and deposited into man their respective DNAs...and he became a living soul. That 'Breathe' is the SPIRIT of man while the moulded dust is his BODY, Now the SOUL is the real man, this soul is where man's intellect, his mind and emotions dwell. Let me try and break it down.

Man is a SPIRIT, He has a SOUL and lives in a BODY

The BODY: this is the part of man that is composed of the five senses; hear, smell, feel, sight and taste. With the body, man is able to survive or thrive in this material world, he is able to interact with his environment and relate with his likes. The body gives the soul shape, it houses the soul and make it tangible...that is one can feel his body.

The SPIRIT: The spirit of man is the part of man that enables him to relate with the spiritual realm. Please note the difference here, the spirit of man is a direct opposite to the body of man. While the body of man gives him the ability to relate with his material world, his spirit gives him the ability to relate with the spiritual realm. God said those that worship must worship me in SPIRIT and in TRUTH....God was refering to the spirit of man. It is only with the spirit that one can discern what God is saying or revealing to his people. And please note, Ideally, the spirit of man and his body are always at par, they are always not on thesame page......hence, the soul.

The SOUL: This is man himself...and this is the part that lives forever, unlike his body that returns to dust (Dust to Dust), this one lives forever. The soul is composed of the mind, the heart and conscience. The spirit and The body has great influence on the soul of a man, they determine the destiny of the soul, here on earth and even in eternity.

I recommend you read this book titled: 'The Spiritual Man' by Watchman Nee...You will get more insight about the nature of man and how these parts are related.
False
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ratatis(m): 12:27am On Mar 10, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
Mr mutually exclusive xplain ooooo. I still maintain predestination is a function of free will.

There's one thing I'm not getting it well in your comment. I'll appreciate if you could kindly clarify.
In the first place, how does one know, for certainly, that one is predestined to pass through a particular experience at a particular time in future, in order for him to be able to alter it by his free will?
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ratatis(m): 1:10am On Mar 10, 2015
Billyonaire:

The issue at stake here, is that majority of people are not fully ready, willing or even capable of assimilating raw truth in its entirety. Thus different shades or variants of the same truth are formulated by the sages, savants or spiritual leaders to fit with various levels of consciousness. Discounting, of course, those who deliberately distort the truth to enable them gain advantage over others.
As one's inner consciousness expands, he is then ready, & finds himself drawn to where his knowledge deepens to correspond to the inner expansion. This is why it is not necessary to keep arguing or forcing one's knowledge unto someone whose consciousness is narrow & closed to grasp what he is being led to understand. Unless, of course, one takes delight in intellectual gymnastics for its own sake.
The inner must necessarily expands before the outer can make any progress, at all

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by ratatis(m): 1:27am On Mar 10, 2015
Billyonaire:
It's not easy to get it......................... soul is the real us surviving on a physical world using our physical body. in essence as soul, we can survive in any planet using any body (vessel) ....................

Yes. In fact, a highly evolved "Soul" can maintain two physical bodies functioning simultaneously; one body living in one continent while the other lives in another continent.
Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by Olufemiolaolu(m): 7:31am On Mar 10, 2015
ratatis:

There's one thing I'm not getting it well in your comment. I'll appreciate if you could kindly clarify.
In the first place, how does one know, for certainly, that one is predestined to pass through a particular experience at a particular time in future, in order for him to be able to alter it by his free will?
Every thing we pass through is written, but what we make of d xperience is left 2 our power of choice i e freewil. A person might have failed in a venture but d decision not 2 resign 2 fate & try again is left 2 his or her freewill. Even 1 is destined 2 live abroad, one still have 2 make an effort 2 get there, that is left 2 one's free will. One can know this through dreams prophecy etc

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit by gatiano(m): 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2015
wrong! but true, one personality(soul) lives here on earth, and several of the same personalities live on several different earth like planets across the universe. Mainly just black people, they are called spiritual brothers or sisters for a woman.
what you described maybe right for non-black people which is untrue, that is why you see them having multiple personality disorder.
have you ever heard such disorder in black people?
ratatis:

Yes. In fact, a highly evolved "Soul" can maintain two physical bodies functioning simultaneously; one body living in one continent while the other lives in another continent.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Abia Gay Anglican Priests Dismissed By Church / Meet A Nairalander's 3 Classmates Who Were Ordained Catholic Deacons(pics). / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.