Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

How To Manage Office Gossips - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Manage Office Gossips (664 Views)

Not Good To Listen To Gossips / How To Manage Your Emotions At Work / How To Manage Office Tension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Manage Office Gossips by barbatee007(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2015
The conversation stops when you enter the room. Colleagues shoot sidelong glances as you pass. The office is abuzz but nobody is talking to you about it—because you’re at the center of the rumors

Sometimes at one point in our careers, we've had to face this kind of situation. This situation if not properly managed will have a serious or catastrophic effect on your productivity at your place of work. I for one hate attention, I have always tried as much as possible to deflect any situation that will bring me to the public glare of my colleagues. But as much as I tried to do that, right from when I was in schools to my places of work, it just doesn't work out. I have always been singled out either for honors or for additional responsibilities. This will inevitably bring me to the fore of public discussions among my colleagues. They will say "he is too young or not experienced or just being favored unnecessarily".

Office gossip can be a welcome distraction. It just can be hard to know what to do when you become the focal point. Overreacting or saying the wrong thing may fan the flames, but ignoring some kinds of gossip can damage your reputation or even career.

When in this situation,
1. Learn to drop the rumour jokingly as a side talk about yourself and clarify it.
2. Let it slide, they will get tired of it.
3. Don't be emotional about it, it should not affect your self esteem.
4. Protect your reputation by displaying your skills before them, Trust me this works like magic.
5. Try and maintain strong alliances at the 3 levels in your organization i.e 1. Your level 2. Below your level 3. Above your level. They will have your back when you leave the room

Feel free to add more.

(1) (Reply)

Msc After Service Or Medicine / 7 "Don't" To Keep For You To Be Successful In Your Career / I Misplaced My National Id Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.