Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,740 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” (797 Views)

A Guy Got An Epic Reply For Saying Something Nice About Jesus / Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? / Are We Saying God Does Not Know Beauty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” by Misogynist2014(m): 10:17pm On Feb 26, 2015
A Florida high school student was disciplined after a national atheist organization took
offense when he concluded the morning announcements by saying “God Bless America.”
A spokesperson for the Nassau County School District told me the student at Yulee High
School deviated from the approved script on the morning of Feb. 9 th and uttered the
words “God Bless America” -- apparently causing angst among two atheist students.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It wasn’t part of the scripted morning announcements,” district spokesperson Sharyl
Wood said. “The principal took the appropriate steps in speaking with the student and
disciplining the student.”
Disciplining the student? What’s the penalty these days for asking God to bless
America – 30 lashes?
Disciplining the student? What’s the penalty these days for asking God to bless America
– 30 lashes?
Instead of reporting their angst to the principal, the atheist students reached out to the
American Humanist Association. The AHA’s legal arm – the Appignani Humanist Legal
Center -- fired off a testy letter to the principal and school district on the students’
behalf.
“It is inappropriate and unlawful for a public school to start the school day with an official
statement over the intercom stating, ‘God Bless America,’ for such a statement affirms
God-belief, validates a theistic worldview and is invidious toward atheists and other
nonbelievers,” the American Humanist Association wrote in a letter to the principal of
Yulee High School.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CONSERVATIVE CONVERSATION.
The AHA said the student violated the Constitution and broke the law by invoking God’s
name over the public address system. They demanded the school immediately cease
and desist under the threat of a lawsuit.
“The daily validation of the religious views of God-believers resigns atheists to second-
class citizens,” the AHA wrote in their letter. “Because attendance is mandatory, the
students have no way of avoiding this daily message either.”
Later that day – the AHA received a mea culpa from the principal assuring them such
behavior would not happen again.
Here’s the letter Principal Natasha Drake wrote to the AHA:
“Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I want to point out that the
statement "God Bless America, keep us safe" that was made last week on the morning
announcements was not approved by school Administration nor was it in the scripted
announcements. The student on his own accord made the statement. I have called the
student in this morning and directed him that at no time is he to add or take away from
announcements that have been pre-approved and that if he did it again, he would no
longer have the privilege of making the morning announcements. I am disappointed that
the students who filed the complaint did not do so with me first, as I would have
addressed it immediately. Once again, thank you for bringing this concern to my
attention. It is our desire and intention to respect the beliefs and constitutional freedoms
of all our students at Yulee High School.”
So why in the world does the school district have a problem with God blessing America?
“As an official representative of a governmental agency, schools aren’t allowed to
promote or inhibit religion,” Wood told me. “Individual students are certainly permitted to
express their religious beliefs but not on behalf of the governmental body.”
She explained that once the student delivered the morning announcements, the student
became a representative of the government and therefore invoking God to bless our
fruited plain became a no-no.
Sweet Lord almighty, good readers.
“We can’t say God bless America or hail to Muslims – nobody can get up there and say
there is no God,” Wood explained. “We have respect for all people’s faiths and religions.”
The school district is also a frustrated that the atheist students declined to speak
directly to school leadership. However, the kids apparently feared repercussions.
“We have an anonymous tip line the students could have used to make a report,” Wood
said.
Of course they do – because you never know when you might need to report a student
for suddenly shouting “bless you” after a teacher sneezes.
I asked Jeremy Dys, an attorney with Liberty Institute to weigh in on this nonsense and
he said the atheists don’t have a prayer.
"Whether a student is being patriotic or engaging in religious speech, there is no law in
this country forbidding a student from telling his or her classmates, ‘God bless America’
and it is illegal for a school to censor a student for doing so,” he said.
Dys also wonders why atheists are so hell-bent on trying to censor the patriotic speech
of a red-blooded American high school student.
“Regardless of this attempt by secularists to white wash over this demonstration of
patriotism by a teenager, America’s students do not give up their right to free speech
and the expression of their religious beliefs when they go to school,” he said.
I’d still like to know how they disciplined the morning announcement reader for such an
egregious act – but the district spokesperson refused to tell me.
Lord love ‘em but I’m not sure what’s worse – perpetually offended atheists or
constitutionally ignorant educators.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/02/11/student-reprimanded-for-saying-god-bless-america/
Re: Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” by rawpadgin(m): 10:30pm On Feb 26, 2015
America is a demonic country

incase u want to quote me, i wrote america only
if u like add s.a join na u sabi
Re: Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” by lawsarma: 10:31pm On Feb 26, 2015

Re: Student Reprimanded For Saying “God Bless America” by DollyParton1(f): 11:17pm On Feb 26, 2015
So what was the discipline meted out , 30 lashes of cane or what?
They want to die because he said "God bless America"
He should have changed bless to curse instead then, anuofia!!!

(1) (Reply)

What Did Your Pastor Preach About Today? / Law Of Rincarnation, Return And Recurrence / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.