Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,444 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? (6737 Views)

PMB Revealed That IBB SAP Kill Nigeria Currency. / Ibb's SAP Destroyed Civil Service - Imoke / Nigeria Yet To Recover From Ibb's Sap- Labaran Maku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 1:33pm On Aug 29, 2006
Good and Bad leaders will come and go, but IBB want to stay, His structural adjustment program was a total failure and Nigerians should wake up and put this man behind KIRIKIRI jail

Structural Adjustment Programs (SAP) are loans from the IMF given to a nation with certain conditions. Nations are required to follow these conditions for approval of the loan. These conditions are technically known as "conditionalities".

Some of the conditions commonly are:

Cutting social expenditures, also known as austerity,
Implementing user fees in basic services such as education and health,
Focusing economic output on direct export and resource extraction,
Devaluation of overvalued currencies,
Trade liberalization, or lifting import and export restrictions,
Increasing the stability of investment (by supplementing foreign direct investment with the opening of domestic stock markets),
Balancing budgets and not overspending,
Removing price controls and state subsidies,
Privatization, or divestiture of all or part of state-owned enterprises,
Enhancing the rights of foreign investors vis-a-vis national laws,
Improving governance and fighting corruption.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 6:08pm On Aug 30, 2006
DUDE: May be you should start responding to your own topic. Your topic is characterized by no flavor. Try another one may be empty headed folks like yourself will respond.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2006
BIGB you got to be a gay. this one is specially for you, i dig out the dirt on your father IBB

I HAVE been reading articles published in The Guardian Newspapers for so long and have enjoyed every piece that I read, but the one I have found so immature, na?ve, confrontational, unscholarly, biased, offensive, and sycophantic is the one written by one Mr Ade Osijo titled "In Defense of IBB" (The Guardian, Friday, August, 25, 2006). Mr. Osijo's reaction to Dr Reuben Abati's piece titled: "A Birthday Gift for Babangida" published in The Guardian on Sunday, August 20, 2006 page 56, is nothing but a piece of trash. I don't know what Osijo is up to, but I think that that article shouldn't have been published in The Guardian in the first place considering the article's undertones. The article also seems to be begging the question. Who is IBB if I may ask? Is he God? Is he the only one in Nigeria? There are more than 50 million people in Nigeria who can perform better that IBB if allowed to rule. Why are Nigerians always the problems of Nigeria?

And if I may ask again, does Osijo possess what it takes to comment on whether or not Reuben Abati is a good analyst? If Osijo is with the Centre for African American History, what right does he (Osijo) have to comment on Babangida's credibility and ability to perform if he (Babangida) becomes the Nigerian president again? Who is Osijo by the way? When did he begin to write or publish articles in newspapers? What experiences does he have as a Nigerian? What does he know about Babaginda? How old was Osijo when Babaginda was in power? Is Osijo being objective or just being subjective? Is Osijo following his heart or his head? How can people like Osijo ask that Babangida should come back again? What does Babangida has to offer that he wasn't able to offer when he was in power for close to 10 years? I don't think I can take Osijo seriously because he lacks the locus standi to comment on Babaginda as a person and as a politician, and also on Abati as an analyst.

As young as I am, if given the opportunity that Babaginda was given to rule as head of state, eight years for that matter, I will perform better than he performed. What did Babaginda do that is outstanding other than the fact that he sowed a seed of discord that may or may never heal among Nigerians? If there is only one reason why I want Babaginda not to come back, the reason would be that he is not the only one in Nigeria. People should learn to bow out when the ovation is loudest. Babaginda did not respect himself, so I see no reason why Nigerians should respect him. One sentence in Abraham Lincoln's Letter to his Son's teacher enjoins the teacher to tell his son "To be gentle with gentle people and tough with tough people." Nigerians should learn from this. It is time Nigerians began to be gentle with gentle people and tough with tough people, Babangida being a tough element in Nigeria political circle. Babanginda thinks he is wise. 130 million people are better than one person. It is time he realised that Nigerians are no fools.

Any student of logic would agree with me that Osijo's article lacks substance. The argument he raised doesn't hold water at all. I thought Osijo was going to say something critically sound about Babanginda, but his argument was a bunch of disappointment. Osijo asked "what could have made Abati to say: ", if they won't tell him the truth, we will". The question is: who are the "we" Abati could be referring to? Does the "we" represent the media community? Or is it the human rights community? And I beg to ask, could he be referring to the Nigerian populace or folks in his village? I want Osijo to know that we, Nigerian youths, are the "we" that Abati was referring to.

We are tired of irresponsible governments characterised by cheating, corruption, deception, and lack of transparency. I am not interested in whether or not Babangida performed well when he was in power; my concern is that he should let other people try. Inordinate ambition for power is bad. Let us be objective, if Babaginda is elected again, that means he will rule for the first four years and there are chances that he will be re-elected for the second term, making a total of eight years. Plus the eight years he spent as head of state, from (1985-1993), making a total of 16 years. That doesn't make sense to me.

Osijo also asked another question: "Is it a crime to register one's admiration for a man close to one's heart via the pages of newspapers? The answer is YES. Yes, because the information in the advertisement for Babangida is misleading and provocative. It is a shame that most newspapers in Nigeria now prefer money rather than the truth. If not, how would a newspaper agree to promote Babaginda as a good leader. What happened during his regime as head of state suggests that something is wrong with that advertisement.

While also referring to Abati's comment, "But why does Babangida want to be President?" Osijo posited again "Nigerians and admirers of IBB should ask Abati if it is now a crime to aspire to be the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?" The answer again is YES. It is a crime to aspire to be president of a country when you know that you don't have what it takes to change the situation around for good.

Lastly, Osijo argues again "on my own part, I was in Abuja for the lecture in my capacity as a researcher on the June 12 election annulment and the intimidating presence of his acolytes is an attestation to the fact that the man Nigerians fondly and affectionately call IBB is still very much loved and revered. Even the colleagues of the popular slain journalist and co-founder of Newswatch magazine Dele Giwa were physically present to pay IBB homage. Messrs Dan Agbese and Soji Akinrinade came, their presence was publicly acknowledged too." Again, Nigerians should ask Osijo this question: And so what? What is the big deal about the presence of the people he mentioned at Babaginda's lecture?
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by otokx(m): 8:55pm On Aug 31, 2006
its like there was a problem in the design
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 11:34pm On Aug 31, 2006
well IBB was the leader, he should take full responsibility for the failure, he was too busy siphoning the gold revenue $12 billion to a swiss account
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2006
ODEKU: You are such a brain-washed dolt, it's incredible to know that people like you still exist in our society. Come on, lighten up already, it's 2006, Stop thinking like a bush uninformed grown man.

Could you point out one single Nigerian leader that didn't steal or take care of his folks?

I keep telling you that we have leaders (both ex and current) who are worst than IBB, As a matter of fact many of them are preparing to take people like yourself for another ride in 2007.
IBB is being used as a decoy to distract dolt like you, Very soon an OBJ clone will be planted in Aso rock for the next president. And what people don't understand is the fact that 3rd term is still alive. The implementation of 3rd term will be carried out indirectly by planting an OBJ clone, who will be controlled by OBJ.

The IBB drama is being overrated to put you guys to sleep while the OBJ implements his 3rd term plan indirectly.
Keep in mind that he tried to implement this plan directly and he failed, He's now using his plan B strategy and I think so far it's working, the narrow-minded are buying it.

You keep pointing finger at IBB as if he was the only and only Nigerian leader that has ever stolen, I've you ever thought about why EFCC is not pressing the other ex leaders as heavily as IBB is being pressed?

1.Buhari
2.Shagari
3.Gowon
4.OBJ (international Thief Thief)
5.Abusalami or what ever he calls himself
6.Shonekan
7.Mawa
8.Odelli
9. Kalu
and many many more.
Do you really think these folks did not steal?

Do you think if the implementation of the 3rd term bid was successful, IBB will be heavily pressed like this or Vasta issue would have ever come out?

I've said this before, you can not be simple and understand Nigerian politics, you've got to be bright.

You can paste 200 pages of IBB propaganda story if you want, I'm not impress till all ten fingers are treated the same way.
Nobody is painting IBB as a saint, but it is only fair to check the records right, They are all the same, if OBJ could get a chance to come back to redeem himself, IBB deserves one too.

Note for ODEKU: I'm sick and tired of your single or two lines insulting comment, Grow up and let's utilize this forum effectively.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 7:31pm On Sep 01, 2006
Here comes this gay again,
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 7:59pm On Sep 01, 2006
ODEKU: Here we go again with your one line name calling, I guess, that's your defense, a way to shy away from the main issue, I truly didn't expect much from you, One can never polish a pair of sneakers. It is what it is.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 02, 2006
structural adjustment programme: A programme created to structurally adjust the bank accounts of members of the ruling junta.

View more definitions:Nigerian Political Dictionary 3
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 8:31pm On Sep 04, 2006
Big Bi, I just rather not say any thing to you, cause you were still a child when IBB was busy siphoning and killing us with his dribbling tactics. it will take at least 100 years to repair Nigeria with what ibb DID, WE USED TO HAVE OPERATION GREEN NATION, NOW WE HAVE operation Okada and all this streets are brown, so MY BIG BI< don't bother to respond cause ill be ignoring you from now on. PS
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2006
ODEKU: YOU SOUND LIKE A BIG LOOSER, IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS, I GUESS I HIT THE G SPOT. IT IS DIFFICULT FOR SOME FOLKS TO HEAR THE TRUTH ABOUT THEMSELVES, YOU FALL IN THAT CATEGORY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESPOND EITHER AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT I WILL NOT MISS YOUR BASELESS, BEER PARLOR, UNINFORMED RESPONSE.

YOU WILL DEFINITELY HEAR FROM ME IF YOU EVER MAKE ANY SENSELESS COMMENT.

BY THE WAY, YOUR PICTURE REMINDS ME OF ONE OF ADEWALE AYUBA'S BOYS, ANY RELATION?
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Abeem(m): 8:36am On Sep 05, 2006
@Odeku,
SAP is not a loan but a set of programs aimed at restructuring an economy that is structurally imbalanced.  It is akin to a prescription by a doctor to a patient who is sick.  The Doctor in this case was the IMF and the patient was the Nigerian nation.  I am sure you are aware that prior to April 1988 when SAP was introduced, more than 95% of our foreign exchange earnings were derived from crude oil export and the rest 5% were from Agriculture and other sectors.  SAP was introduced to diversify the export base of the economy to reduce the over-dependence on crude oil export.  I do not see anything wrong with the program in itself.  The problem lies in its implementation by the military administration of IBB.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2006
Abeem thanks for your elite response, but there is a saying when the ship goes down, the captain of the ship must go too, so IBB implement the program and should be held accountable for the failure, as for BigBi your brain need to be unscrewed and reexamined. you call me a looser. If I can afford a $250.000 house in the state, and drives a $45.000 car and have a legitimate source of income. and I have over 5 real estate building in Nigeria if that is a failure, what do you call people like Muhammad babangida that has never had a job in his life and has over 100 Million dollars investments? I guess you wont know the answer to that with your barbaric comments. Pussy clot
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 4:59pm On Sep 05, 2006
ODEKU: It is so sad that you find is very difficult to hold a decent discussion for 10 minutes with out showing your OMO DUGBE BUS Conductor's behavior.
And it is also amusing to me how quick you choose to let the world know the price of your house, your cars and all your YODI YODI investment. Don't you know that empty barrel makes the most noise?

One can never polish a pair of sneakers, period.

It is what it is.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by Odeku(m): 6:39pm On Sep 05, 2006
BIGBI If I was Omo DUGBE then you mama must have gotten you from the zoo, cause you and James Brown must be family scum bag. as empty as my barrel may sound, I bet it makes the loudest noise you've ever heard freaking slowpoke
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by BigB11(m): 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2006
ODEKU: WOW, you must be upset. I guess I hit the G spot once again.
I will not disrespect your mama or papa, I will let it go and focus on discussing political issues in Nigeria.

As Nigerians, we should try to utilize this forum effectively by sharing knowledge and discussing different point of views.
We should exhibit self respect and respect for one another at all time.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? by alabiyemmy(m): 4:33am On Feb 21, 2007
because it was orchestrated to satisfy an unending demand for an IMF LOAN which only found its way to the pockets of a few.

(1) (Reply)

First Massive Nationwide Protests To Hold On The 5th Of February, 2017. / Osun Retirees Protest 15 Months Unpaid Pension / The Kaduna State Women Economic Empowerment Summit 2019. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.