Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London (1137 Views)

APC Spent N5 Billion On Buhari’s Chatham House Speech, PDP Campaign Alleges / Buhari Gets Listed On Chatham House Website / Buhari Off To UK, To Speak At UK's Chatham House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by Nwoguphillip: 2:23am On Feb 27, 2015
26 February 2015

1. Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country and largest economy, is at a defining moment, a moment that has great implications beyond the democratic project and beyond the borders of my dear country.

2.Given increasing global linkages, it is in our collective interests that the postponed elections should hold on the rescheduled dates; that they should be free and fair; that their outcomes should be respected by all parties; and that any form of extension, under whichever guise, is unconstitutional and will not be tolerated.

3. Driven by patriotism, influenced by the prevalence and popularity of such drastic measures all over Africa and elsewhere, we fought our way to power. But the global triumph of democracy has shown that another and a preferable path to change is possible.

4. It is much more important that the promise of democracy goes beyond just allowing people to freely choose their leaders. It is much more important that democracy should deliver on the promise of choice, of freedoms, of security of lives and property, of transparency and accountability, of rule of law, of good governance and of shared prosperity.

5. Boko Haram has sadly put Nigeria on the terrorism map, killing more than 13,000 of our nationals, displacing millions internally and externally, and at a time holding on to portions of our territory the size of Belgium. What has been consistently lacking is the required leadership in our battle against insurgency.

6. Let me assure you that if I am elected president, the world will have no cause to worry about Nigeria as it has had to recently; that Nigeria will return to its stabilizing role in West Africa; and that no inch of Nigerian territory will ever be lost to the enemy.

7. But I must emphasize that any war waged on corruption should not be misconstrued as settling old scores or a witch-hunt. I'm running for President to lead Nigeria to prosperity and not adversity.

8. As a progressive party, we must reform our political economy to unleash the pent-up ingenuity and productivity of the Nigerian people thus freeing them from the curse of poverty. We will run a private sector-led economy but maintain an active role for government through strong regulatory oversight and deliberate interventions.

9. On March 28, Nigeria has a decision to make. To vote for the continuity of failure or to elect progressive change. I believe the people will choose wisely.

10. I have heard and read references to me as a former dictator in many respected British newspapers including the well regarded Economist. Let me say without sounding defensive that dictatorship goes with military rule, though some might be less dictatorial than others. I take responsibility for whatever happened under my watch.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by gede7744(f): 2:42am On Feb 27, 2015
cool. speech. l prayer d best candidate wins. Nigeria ve got to move to d next level

3 Likes

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by nzeadachie: 2:43am On Feb 27, 2015
BUHARI KNOWS THAT HE CAN NEVER RULE NIGERIA, MAYBE GOODLUCK CAN MAKE HIM EFCC CHAIRMAN AS HE ONLY KNOWS ABOUT CORRUPTION

1 Like

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by praxisnetworks: 3:13am On Feb 27, 2015
can't you see the comment above you...immature character...now run along to your mama's bed!

nzeadachie:
BUHARI KNOWS THAT HE CAN NEVER RULE NIGERIA, MAYBE GOODLUCK CAN MAKE HIM EFCC CHAIRMAN AS HE ONLY KNOWS ABOUT CORRUPTION

4 Likes

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by EzePromoe: 5:12am On Feb 27, 2015
It's quite disturbing to see an ex-general and elderstatesman in the like of Buhari going to the international scene to portray Nigeria in the bad light for political gains. I believe any objective foreigner will view this as nothing more than a prepared sheet of words because you can't say that the nation had not witnessed any form of improvement when you are a key role in the dark days of our country's history.
Still yet, nothing special about his words.

1 Like

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by goshen(m): 5:22am On Feb 27, 2015
How do you guys really think? Do you guys shut out a section of your brain and think with half? Who in this damn world doesn't know about boko-haram and insecurity in Nigeria? If you called the Buhari's speech --washing of dirty linen in the public, then you are worst than a ostrich.
EzePromoe:
It's quite disturbing to see an ex-general and elderstatesman in the like of Buhari going to the international scene to portray Nigeria in the bad light for political gains. I believe any objective foreigner will view this as nothing more than a prepared sheet of words because you can't say that the nation had not witnessed any form of improvement when you are a key role in the dark days of our country's history.
Still yet, nothing special about his words.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by EzePromoe: 5:28am On Feb 27, 2015
goshen:
How do you guys really think? Do you guys shut out a section of your brain and think with half? Who in this damn world doesn't know about boko-haram and insecurity in Nigeria? If you called the Buhari's speech --washing of dirty linen in the public, then you are worst than a ostrich.
Everyone knows about the Boko Haram issue but is the government doing anything about it or not? That is what Buhari should be sincere about without attaching political sentiments.
Meanwhile keep your insult to yourself.

1 Like

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by gists: 5:50am On Feb 27, 2015
EzePromoe:

Everyone knows about the Boko Haram issue but is the government doing anything about it or not? That is what Buhari should be sincere about without attaching political sentiments.
Stop Living in denial. What is the government doing now that it couldn't have done 5yrs ago. BH was deliberately left to grow hoping to use it as a political goal for the election. If the election is still far the government Will not do anything

2 Likes

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by Charlotte15: 5:59am On Feb 27, 2015
It's really frustrating that it's the young people that are supporting this kleptocratic government. I wonder what these people will then do when they become leaders. Like our president, our youths are only about the chop life syndrome that's why you see the high rate of yahoo boys and runs girls. We need a clean up, there's too much indiscipline in the land. Too many educated illiterates, poverty of the mind, body and soul. God take control.
Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by olaboy001(m): 6:02am On Feb 27, 2015
nzeadachie:
GMB simply 'killed' it at Chatam House So Impressive And PYO amazing at Akwaibom town hall with youths yesterday Great combo
Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by goshen(m): 6:12am On Feb 27, 2015
Political sentiments? Is that the way you see a genuine call to end the perennial Boko-haram scourge that has claimed the lives of over 13000 innocent Nigerians over the last 6 years? Why should we even take a president who admitted twice (after over 4 years of anguish under boko-haram attacks) that he has treating the boko-haram issue with kids' glove, serious? For Pete's sake, lives have been and are being lost, and you are talking of political sentiments.

Fact 1, GEJ has shown over and over again that he doesn't have the well withal and the will to address the boko-haram issue.

Fact 2, virtually every world leader that matters (from Obama, Cameron, etc) is fully aware of how inept GEJ is; so it's nothing new of Buhari is rightfully stated security as our main issue.

A word of advice, you would achieve so much if you focused your energy on working collectively to sort-out our issues; as against your morbid fear to cover up an open-secret.

And, my apology on the insult.

EzePromoe:

Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by egift(m): 6:20am On Feb 27, 2015
olaboy001:

GMB simply 'killed' it at Chatam House So Impressive And PYO amazing at Akwaibom town hall with youths yesterday Great combo

Buhari nailed it perfectly. In fact so good, he PDP propaganda department are finding it very hard to handle. The worst was the ill-managed protest they organized. The lady they sublet it to was so greedy to land another contract at that very spot that she did not hold her tongue. PDP will never give her another contract again (I hope she collected all her money, because with that kind of work, she can forget the balance).

Buhari is a man whose Destiny has come, Nigerians have a very good alternative. Sai Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Will Make Laws For Peaceful Co-existence If Re-elected - Jonathan / The Wealth Collection Of Tinubu / Fani-kayode Urges Ndigbo To Vote President Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.