Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor (3640 Views)

Should She Collect A Phone Gift From Her Suitor Because Her Boyfriend Is Broke? / See What 26 Year Old Woman With 4 Kids From Different Men Expects From A Suitor / A Touching Story About Love ( Will Make You Cry ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by ethylene: 3:42am On Feb 27, 2015
Bridget was a graduate of Sociology from one of the first generation universities in the southwestern part of Nigeria. Typical of most Edo ladies, she is stunningly beautiful, and of average height. Her sojourning in a Yoruba speaking region of Nigeria was due to the fact that her parents were staff of the university where she graduated. Very fair complexioned, she was always bombarded with score of admirers; the genuine and the “touch and go” whose main motive was to have a taste of her beauty.

Bridget could speak English, Yoruba and Isan (her native language) fluently. Although her parents were not to be counted among the super-rich but you could hardly tell because everything was smooth for her. Bridget’s problem started sometime in 2003 when her relationships with Bayo was shattered.

Bridget met Bayo in their sophomore while in the university. Bayo is a Yoruba guy and his parents’ house was just a stone throw from Bridget’s. Also the two of them were in the same faculty but studying different courses.

“I have known Bayo for a few years before we started dating. We lived in the same neighbourhood and I have always known him to be gentle. Of course we were not friends but we see almost every day. I did not take his love advances serious at first particularly that we were living very close. I was afraid of my parents”. Bridget confirmed when asked how her relationship with Bayo started.

The relationship between the two lovers blossomed into a serious one. The parents of the two lovers got wind of their children’s affairs. Initially, they neither approved nor disapproved. As far as they were concerned, it was an affair between two teenagers. Besides, they met mostly in school since the two of them lived in the campus hostel and stayed apart as much as possible whenever they come home during weekends.

“As our relationship grew, our parents seemed to be getting attuned to realities of life. I was no longer afraid of visiting him in his house and he too was free to come to our house. Before long, an unstated mutual understanding developed between our parents. We were happy that our parents supported our relationship”. Bridget stated.

Amid tears, Bridget related how the relationship took a dive. “Sometime in 2003 my mother asked me come to her office in the campus. On getting there she handed me a brand new Nokia phone and a line. When I asked her who was the owner of the new phone and line she said that she bought it for me. I was so happy because mobile phone was an exclusive preserve of nouveau riches as at that time. Few students that had mobile phones then were respected and they would do anything to harass and intimidate others even when lectures were on-going.

But if I had known that that phone would be the genesis of my predicament I would have rejected it”.
Unknown to Bridget, the phone was actually a gift from Mr. Lawson, a non-academic staff in Bridget’s department. Mr. Lawson is also an Edo man. His home-town is just some few kilometers from Bridget’s. Bridget knew Mr. Lawson intimately. Apart from being a staff in her department, he is also the secretary of Edo people in the university.

Prior to this time, Bridget’s mother had always asked her to borrow any textbooks she needed from Mr. Lawson on the pretext that he was like an uncle to Bridget. Probably due to connivance between Bridget’s mother and Mr. Lawson, the latter never requested for the return of all books borrowed by Bridget. According to Bridget, Mr. Lawson was very nice to her. Not long afterwards, the bubble burst.

Bridget told of how the whole fiasco started.

“On that fateful Friday, my mother called me on phone that I should come home for the weekend because there was an important issue to be discussed. I did not want to wait. I immediately went to her office to have an inkling of what she wanted to tell me. I was actually thinking that the discussion might be about my dad. My dad had been bedridden for almost three years and had to apply for early retirement from the university authority because of his failing health. On getting to her office, she said that my father was ok and that the discussion was about me. When I pestered her further my mum insisted that the discussion was too important to be tabled in the office. Naturally I was apprehensive”

“My mum kept me in suspense till Saturday. Around 11a.m, my mum asked my siblings to vacate the sitting room but my dad was there. Then she started, telling me how she loved me, how she had been planning my future, how she did not want me to marry a man outside my tribe because of the heartaches my elder sister was suffering from her Yoruba husband. Of course I knew where she was going but not in the least had Mr. Lawson in mind. And I did not utter anything to betray my inner turbulence”.

“She closed her statement by telling me how she had sealed my fate, how she had accepted Mr. Lawson’s request to have my hand in marriage; that my mobile phone and line and various gifts were courtesy of Mr. Lawson and that a date had been picked for my engagement ceremony”.

“To say that I was pique would be an understatement, I was burning inside. I thought of my mother’s betrayal of Bayo; his respect for my family, his love for me and his numerous sacrifices for my younger brothers to ensure that they secure admission to university were just few of his caring nature. And true to nature my father did not utter a word; he sat motionless as if already dead. I knew his presence at that meeting was at my mother’s insistence”.

“I could not recall saying anything meaningful; my ontology was a massive turbulence, and my protest was vehemently rebuffed by my mum. According to her, a date had been picked and nothing would change it. I had my plans too”.

“On the engagement day, I acted usual. Around 10a.m on the engagement day, I watched would be in-laws and groom arriving. Then I did the unthinkable. I left the house through the rear exit and went to my hostel room in campus and left my phone at home”.

That action was considered an affront and my mother practically cut me off from the family: no feeding allowance, no books, and no tuition fees; even my elder sisters would have nothing to do with me. It was a living hell”.

Not long after a succor appeared in the horizon for Bridget.

Mayowa was a Yoruba boy who also lived in the same neighbourhood and was a year ahead of Bridget in the same university. He was quiet, brilliant, a semi-introvert and a man any lady would want as husband.

Mayowa and Bridget met at the height of her crisis. Because her mum had driven Bayo away, it was not long before she accepted Mayowa’s entreaties. Their relationship blossomed and Mayowa took over Bridget’s finances.
Soon afterward, Mayowa graduated and went for the compulsory one year national service of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC. After a session, Bridget also graduated and went to Ibadan to learn computer. Though the two lovers were separated, there was constancy in their relationship. But as a prodigal son that will lose track, Bridget started another relationship with a new guy, Tunde in Ibadan.

According to her, the relationship was a sham. Tunde left her in Ibadan without informing her and another lady ejected Bridget from the apartment she was living because the house belonged to Tunde. The lady claimed to be Tunde’s fiancé.

Prior to this unfortunate turn of event, Bridget had informed Mayowa that a man of God told her that she was not destined to marry Mayowa and that the relationship would end in disaster if they did not heed the warning. Mayowa pleaded with Bridget not to end the relationship but she was adamant, claiming it was God’s will. After months of fruitless persuasion, Mayowa accepted his fate and started a new relationship. Fortunately for him, he secured a good job and got married.

After being jilted by Tunde, Bridget tried fruitlessly to return to Mayowa. But all her entreaties amounted to nothing. While narrating her ordeal, Bridget has this to say:

“I was the architect of my doom. Mayowa loved me. He cared for me. He was there in my moments of need; when my family neglected me he was there always. I lied to him about the man of God because I thought Tunde actually loved me. I was afraid of the distance between me and Mayowa but I achieved nothing afterward. I will be 37 this October, yet nobody has proposed to me. My only solace is my job but it was not enough. I have forgiven my mum for my separation with Bayo. But who do I blame for cheating myself out of Mayowa’s committed and true love? I LEARNT A BITTER LESSON”.

1 Like

Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by TheSonOfMark(m): 4:48am On Feb 27, 2015
Truth is I didn't finish reading your story (fabricated or not, but that's not the issue). The fact is that it seems like an all-too-familiar story. We've all seen it happen :

A lady toys with probable suitors that come her way in her 20's and years later desperation sets in. Their desperation becomes written on their faces and in their deeds, the predatory men (most likely males who were exploited by women earlier on in life and who consequently stereotyped females) and the circle continues. We all have our stories.

Ultimately, methinks women are their own problems in more ways than one. BY THE WAY, I HEARD KARMA
IS A B*ITCH. I GUESS THAT MAKES IT A FEMALE. DON'T BLAME US MALES FOR YOUR WOES.

....Kaycee, the son of Mark.

1 Like

Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Vision4God: 4:49am On Feb 27, 2015
Hhhmmmm
Trust God 4 a life partner again. Dont b dscouraged. There is hope 4 u
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by sinaj(f): 5:11am On Feb 27, 2015
vooked
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by EzePromoe: 5:24am On Feb 27, 2015
I'm suspecting this to be the story of one of my NL friends.
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by GentleToks(m): 5:45am On Feb 27, 2015
The right time hasn't come yet.......
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 27, 2015
U caused it.
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by AJOT99(m): 6:23am On Feb 27, 2015
It is well
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by teemanbastos(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2015
whatz d title of dis nolywoodfilm? undecided
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by kelvinmuffins3(m): 7:36am On Feb 27, 2015
Hmmm.. Everyday shit different problem.

Trust God.
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Fringes(m): 7:53am On Feb 27, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
Truth is I didn't finish reading your story (fabricated or not, but that's not the issue). The fact is that it seems like an all-too-familiar story. We've all seen it happen :

A lady toys with probable suitors that come her way in her 20's and years later desperation sets in. Their desperation becomes written on their faces and in their deeds, the predatory men (most likely males who were exploited by women earlier on in life and who consequently stereotyped females) and the circle continues. We all have our stories.

Ultimately, methinks women are their own problems in more ways than one. BY THE WAY, I HEARD KARMA
IS A BITCH. I GUESS THAT MAKES IT A FEMALES. DON'T BLAME US MALES FOR YOUR WOES.
....Kaycee, the son of Mark.

I quoted the man above because although his comment might seem harsh, it is simply a blunt representation of the truth.

You get from LIFE whatever you put into it. You can't sow tomatoes and expect to reap pepper. There is no short cut to life and we would all reap every single deed and every single word. It is as simple as that.

The story-teller loved one man and her mum scuttled it, agreed. God favoured her and gave her another good man. Then she travels somewhere else and chooses to 'enjoy' herself. What did she think? That she would go scot-free? The Mayowa guy didn't need to utter any curses. The curse would 'curse' itself. These matters are real.

I hope young ladies out there learn from this story. Life is no buffet or parade where you take a bite from every thing that comes your way or offer your attention to every single man that can throw cash around.

Like the centre of a Dart Board, you must pick your point, your kind of man and work hard on yourself while preparing for him. You can't be a pepper seller in the neighbourhood market and expect to marry the 30-year old MD of a multinational company. Even if he ever meets you and falls in love, he would consider the embarrassment that marrying you would cause him from time to time because of the vast differences in your orientation and persona.

Suffice to say you can't be a carefree, money-oriented, cheap (body count matters to good men, take it or leave it!) lady, irrespective of your level of education, and expect a God-fearing and responsible christian/muslim gentleman to marry you. It doesn't work that way, no matter how hard you try, except God is specially merciful to you.

Of course, the same applies to men too. Forget that story that 'bad' boys marry good girls. I laugh, deep down, the so-called 'good' girls who get attached to such 'bad' boys know what thy are doing. The only seem 'good' to you anyway, afterall, only specimen of the same specie can conveniently live with each other on long term basis, otherwise, there a clear-cut mismatch would only lead to a horrible marriage and more sorrows for both parties.

3 Likes

Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 27, 2015
As you lay your bed,so you lie on it.

But there's time to relay the bed.
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Samiceman: 7:59am On Feb 27, 2015
Next Time on Your Award Winning SuperStory.....

Bridget's and unmarried Bayo's path cross... Will they work things out this time? Or blow it like the first time? Find out on the whole new edition of SuperStory!

U don't wanna miss this

1 Like

Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by yhusiee(f): 8:03am On Feb 27, 2015
Whyyyyy dz every1 feel d need 2 settle down in marriage? You cn keep w8in "IN FAITH", or u cn start a family of ur own by adopting a child (or children, as u sooooo wish). The adopted children will gv u sm1 2 luv n dey will grow up loving u. And on modas day, wn every1 is singing "sweet moda" 4 deir modas, dey will also sing "swt moda" 4 u, nt minding dt ur nt deir biological mum. Life is 2 short 2 live wvout luv
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by bisi16(m): 8:35am On Feb 27, 2015
I wonder how some pple expect us to read all dis epistles on mobiles.. undecided
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by braine(m): 8:40am On Feb 27, 2015
yhusiee:
Whyyyyy dz every1 feel d need 2 settle down in marriage? You cn keep w8in "IN FAITH", or u cn start a family of ur own by adopting a child (or children, as u sooooo wish). The adopted children will gv u sm1 2 luv n dey will grow up loving u. And on modas day, wn every1 is singing "sweet moda" 4 deir modas, dey will also sing "swt moda" 4 u, nt minding dt ur nt deir biological mum. Life is 2 short 2 live wvout luv
I have am aunt who did this, and she's living happily now.
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by yhusiee(f): 8:46am On Feb 27, 2015
braine:
I have am aunt who did this, and she's living happily now.
Braine!! Soooooo u understood wt I wrote baaa!!!
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by braine(m): 8:54am On Feb 27, 2015
yhusiee:

Braine!! Soooooo u understood wt I wrote baaa!!!
cheesy i understood the adoption part na. You still need a typing revolution sha. tongue
Re: A Touching Story: Am 37 Without A Suitor by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 27, 2015
GO AND WASH YOUR HEAD IN THE RIVER NIGER undecided

next!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Finally !!! Airforce1 Releases Single Ft Nairalander ( Photo) / My Girl Threatened To Kill Herself Pls Help (screenshots) / 22-year-old Man Dumps Pretty Wife, Marries Mother-in-law (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.