Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women (17131 Views)

Why Do Most Men Get Sleepy After Sex? / Why Do Only Men Feel Dizzy After Sex? / **Differences Between Independent Women And The Broke Ones** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 27, 2015
Most men not ALL feel insecured about independent lady. For me, I don't care whether a lady is independent or not because i'll marry her irregardless of her financial status - fùck submissiveness. What I care about is a loving, educated, intelligent and caring wife. With submissiveness, some men still don't respect their wife.

When "Missjenna" posted that about being an independent lady who won't depend on a man, she was bashed all through. I don't care whether she was telling the truth or not because some people were insinuating that she's a pseudo-female moniker, but it seems most guys on this section/forum hate independent ladies but they'd still bash ladies who crave for her husband to provide everything for her. Confusionists

I stumbled upon an old thread this morning and Sinaj made this comment;
sinaj:
derez no nid knowin if they will b rich wink...coz i will b rich cool

She got a reply which i found shocking, disheartening and sexist in a way.
smada13:

though your position is good, you need to be careful with it cuz a few ladies with your kind of mentality are in the society without a man...and I guess you know the tag the society has placed on such ladies.........

and on a second thought, your using "they" means you'll take a sample of the guys around before settling for one....a gold-digging tendency... or what are you trying to say dear....

Now, this dude;
1) Felt that unmarried ladies are embittered about their single life but I doubt it - I won't deny the fact that some of them aren't happy.
In my opinion, I feel it's guys that are desperate about marriage with the way they bash single ladies e.g Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic and colleague who hasn't gotten married.
Chimamanda would have been a victim but she's happily married.

2) This dude feel that unmarried ladies are placed with a bad tag - I think NairaLand is only place where sexists flex their power. So I doubt this claim. No one cares about the life of a single lady in the real world.

My fellow men, why are you bashing women?

I've read feminism articles, and it seems feminist/independent women also dislike men that are insecure about them.

Is the feeling mutual? cheesy

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 12:53pm On Feb 27, 2015
I've never felt insecure being around independent ladies.. smiley

Even if the richest woman in Africa or any other lady with great reputation comes around cheesy

Omo we go rub shoulders, after all she's human and she doesn't bite embarassed

missjenna:
Yes it works for cheap and purposeless ladies
This stuff can't work on me. I am an independent and purpose driven woman. I ride the vehicle of my life. I can never take the back seat.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ArchEnemy(m): 12:55pm On Feb 27, 2015
Cos men ve that ego that exudes superiority
He wants to call the shots and be the one the family depends on
When the wife is more wealthy, this becomes a threat

Addendum
...I however believe its all about the lady's attitude. if she is submissive it wont bring much issues

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 27, 2015
ArchEnemy:
Cos men ve that ego that exudes superiority
He wants to call the shots and be the one the family depends on
When the wife is more wealthy, this becomes a threat
Yeah. I understand--why are some of us living a double life.

The same man that would bash an independent lady will also complain about gold-diggers. ssriously? undecided

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by sinaj(f): 12:59pm On Feb 27, 2015
wot we all shud know iz dat Man iz insatiable nd d most important thing iz duin wot pleases us.Some guyz wil prefer independent girls why some will prefer housewives.If a man loves a woman he will overlook her being a jackie( industrious) or lazy person. We should neva sacrifice our happiness to plz anyone.
some men get scared dat a wealthy woman tends to disrespect but itz not true coz women are naturally weak and always crave for love nd support no matter her status in d society nd ...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2015
First of all, I would say that I made that comment as a result of the nature of the thread with which it was commented on.

Coming to the concept of independence,
I don't think there is any thing like total independence. No human, man or woman can be totally independent of the other.

When you term a lady or when a lady terms herself as independent, all she is trying to say is that she does not totally rely on any man for her upkeep and her day to day survival.
She believes that she has the right to tell which direction her life should go.

Having said that, let me also say this
I believe every human being has a innate tepid narcissistic trait that is masked by their outward characters
This trait is also accompanied by a fragile ego and sense of importance above the opposite gender.
This mellow trait however expresses it self more in the masculine gender.

Asides this, humanity have for long been bombarded with tales from legend and religion that glorifies the male gender above the female.
This has so far created a kind of belief that a man should be the one in charge, the one in control, the one at the top.

When you look at the power structures of the world, not excluding our Nigerian traditions, you would find out that women are most times relegated to the post of follower instead of leader.

When a man sees a woman that is "independent", it kinds of threatens that mild narcissistic trait
At first he feels a complex mixture of fear,annoyance, insecurity and surprise
Then depending on his personality, his subconscious tries to see if it can conjure up a mechanism to counter this threat.

Either he decides to hate her and stay away
Or
He becomes intrigued by her, creating a sense of respect which makes him want to get close to her.

But most times, most men tend to go in the way of the former.
Most men just don't feel women should be above them in any way. They have this feeling that every woman should want them. That we can't cope without them.
The fact that a woman can be "independent" is in a way alien to them and when they see this, they are caught aback.

Actually, no man wants a woman they can't control. They don't want any woman that threatens their supremacy, hence their reaction.

One mistake most "independent" women make is to let pride get in the way.
They feel a grandiose sense of achievement and importance which makes them see themselves as not on equal par with most men that might try to approach them or get to know them
I think this also makes men stay away from them

Op, you also said that most feminist women hate men that are insecure about them.
Well I don't think we hate them. We are just irritated by the fact that they would feel insecure about us.
I myself like men who are not intimidated by me.

Op, I hope I helped
Thanks

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:01pm On Feb 27, 2015
alberto2k:
I've never felt insecure being around independent ladies.. smiley

Even if the richest woman in Africa or any other lady with great reputation comes around cheesy

Omo we go rub shoulders, after all she's human and she doesn't bite embarassed

Being around them is different from dating them. That's my point

To think you were the first Nairalander to antagonised Missjenna. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2015
OP, I think the feeling is mutual. cheesy

From a renowned feminist...

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 1:11pm On Feb 27, 2015
Logicalmind:

Being around them is different from dating them. That's my point

To think you were the first Nairalander to antagonised Missjenna. undecided

Yeah... Dating their kind ain't easy but if you're comfortable around them, then it's easier to get into a relationship with their kind

And about missjenna... I antagonized her cuz I thought she was a troll.
But I guess am wrong smiley

And Op, sorry about the other day... You got on my nerves and things got creepy smiley

Lo siento hermano (I'm sorry bro)
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
alberto2k:

Yeah... Dating their kind ain't easy but if you're comfortable around them, then it's easier to get into a relationship with their kind

And about missjenna... I antagonized her cuz I thought she was a troll.
But I guess am wrong smiley

And Op, sorry about the other day... You got on my nerves and things got creepy smiley

Lo siento hermano (I'm sorry bro)
Alright, No P.

You live in spain or just know how to write Spanish?
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Enegod(m): 1:21pm On Feb 27, 2015
I think the the word "independent" is the problem. That word means on your own, stand alone, etc. Where does that fit with the word relationship. We aren't insecure, we are tired of trying to have relationships with women whose mindset repels the idea of any kind of unity... undecided

24 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 1:24pm On Feb 27, 2015
Logicalmind:

Alright, No P.

You live in spain or just know how to write Spanish?

I don't write only... I understand and speak Spanish

I learnt it on my own tho, taught my ex a little of it and next thing was, she learnt and practiced seriously and started speaking mad Spanish embarassed

I was shocked the day she sang Alguien te amo by Enrique iglesias...
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by justmag(m): 1:29pm On Feb 27, 2015
I have never date a woman who wasn't independent. It's not my preference but it's just how it has been. Well! In nigeria, sometimes! when a man's money is no longer a factor, they don't know how to talk to women.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2015
sinaj:
wot we all shud know iz dat Man iz insatiable nd d most important thing iz duin wot pleases us.Some guyz wil prefer independent girls why some will prefer housewives.If a man loves a woman he will overlook her being a jackie( industrious) or lazy person. We should neva sacrifice our happiness to plz anyone.
some men get scared dat a wealthy woman tends to disrespect but itz not true coz women are naturally weak and always crave for love nd support no matter her status in d society nd ...

What do you mean by "women are naturally weak"?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ronald4lif(m): 1:40pm On Feb 27, 2015
Another interesting topic...

The male ego is extremely fragile and this is all the more true for the Nigerian male. They must be the bread-winner, must provide for their families. Men still are expected to pick up the check on a first date. The ultimate prize for any alpha male is always financial. Having the woman earn more often leads to a deflated ego, depression and general bitterness. So how does a man handle a successful woman? Oh well

So let’s not take the ultra feminist stance, that won’t help the already egoistic Nigerian men to cope with the fact that his wife/girlfriend is more successful than him. Flaunt your success by all means but don’t belittle your spouse for being less successful in any way, even in jest. For a man, the key is to be open minded and be strong. If your relationship is based on a strong foundation of love and commitment, the pay check should not matter. You should be a team. You go out, you buy things, you party, and you invest together. You do all this together. When you feel smaller in any way, talk about it. When you feel low, express it.

Differences in salaries should not be a hindrance when it comes to relationships. Men need to let go of their egos and women need to make their men feel special. This is an age old debate and there are no definite sides to take. There are some matured and settled men who have no problems with their wives being more successful and richer. And then there are men who will feel threatened by their wives earning more.

Having Nigerian men not get intimidated by successful women may never happen. We're way too egocentric and believes we must call the shots at the home front. And that our women should do our biddings always. Successful women will always want to have an opinion on matters of the home (which is very okay) but most Nigerian men will always want to subvert or disregard their wives opinion. Theirs should be final. This is where their ego gets deflated hence their insecurity on successful women.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2015
Enegod:
I think the the word "independent" is the problem. That word means on your own, stand alone, ect. Where does that fit with the word relationship. We aren't insecure, we are tired of trying to have relationships with women whose mindset repels the idea of any kind of unity... undecided
Independent means different kind of thing.
In this aspect, it means entirely different thing as you are insinuating.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by sinaj(f): 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2015
PunkyBrewster:

What do you mean by "women are naturally weak"?
an average woman depend on man for love and security nd not mainly financial need...

u are entitled to ur own opinion though...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 27, 2015
{Some} men need their egos stroked. An "independent" woman isn't going to do that for them.
They want to be on top of every situation, pay every meal, buy her clothes and feel like the MAN.

Yet, these same ones will scream and wail "gold diggers" when a woman comes after them for their money.

Pfft, and they call us complicated.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 27, 2015
alberto2k:

I don't write only... I understand and speak Spanish

I learnt it on my own tho, taught my ex a little of it and next thing was, she learnt and practiced seriously and started speaking mad Spanish embarassed

I was shocked the day she sang Alguien te amo by Enrique iglesias...

Cool cool

You stay in Nigeria, right? What state?

You attended Spanish class?
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ronald4lif(m): 1:47pm On Feb 27, 2015
justmag:
I have never date a woman who wasn't independent. It's not my preference but it's just how it has been. Well! In nigeria, sometimes! when a man's money is no longer a factor, they don't know how to talk to women.

Or it could be that since they don't have money, which is what many girls rely on, the guys conclude there's nothing to talk about, not necessarily that they don't know how to talk to women.
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 27, 2015
Ronald4lif, Nice one. smiley

Mznelly, nice one and thanks for using "some". wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2015
sinaj:
an average woman depend on man for love and security nd not mainly financial need...

u are entitled to ur own opinion though...

Ok
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2015
ronald4lif:

The male ego is extremely fragile and this is all the more true for the Nigerian male. They must be the bread-winner, must provide for their families. Men still are expected to pick up the check on a first date. The ultimate prize for any alpha male is always financial. Having the woman earn more often leads to a deflated ego, depression and general bitterness. So how does a man handle a successful woman? Oh well

So let’s not take the ultra feminist stance, that won’t help the already egoistic Nigerian men to cope with the fact that his wife/girlfriend is more successful than him. Flaunt your success by all means but don’t belittle your spouse for being less successful in any way, even in jest. For a man, the key is to be open minded and be strong. If your relationship is based on a strong foundation of love and commitment, the pay check should not matter. You should be a team. You go out, you buy things, you party, and you invest together. You do all this together. When you feel smaller in any way, talk about it. When you feel low, express it.

Differences in salaries should not be a hindrance when it comes to relationships. Men need to let go of their egos and women need to make their men feel special. This is an age old debate and there are no definite sides to take. There are some matured and settled men who have no problems with their wives being more successful and richer. And then there are men who will feel threatened by their wives earning more.

Having Nigerian men not get intimidated by successful women may never happen. We're way too egocentric and believes we must call the shots at the home front. And that our women should do our biddings always. Successful women will always want to have an opinion on matters of the home (which is very okay) but most Nigerian men will always want to subvert or disregard their wives opinion. Theirs should be final. This is where their ego gets deflated hence their insecurity on successful women.

God bless my son with a brain like yours. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ronald4lif(m): 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2015
MzNelly:
{Some} men need their egos stroked. An "independent" woman isn't going to do that for them.
They want to be on top of every situation, pay every meal, buy her clothes and feel like the MAN.

Yet, these same ones will scream and wail "gold diggers" when a woman comes after them for their money.

Pfft, and they call us complicated.

I am the man, remember angry
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 27, 2015
ronald4lif:

I am the man, remember angry

Yes Sir! cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ronald4lif(m): 1:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
Logicalmind:
Ronald4lif, Nice one. smiley

Mznelly, nice one and thanks for using "some". wink

You're welcome bro.

The floor is still open for others, especially those you tagged. Will be dropping by to check on their reaction

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 1:55pm On Feb 27, 2015
Logicalmind:

Cool cool

You stay in Nigeria, right? What state?

You attended Spanish class?

I stay in PH (schooling)
But I use to live in north, kaduna precisely

Never attended any Spanish class rara

Back in school when its the french teacher's period... I dey run go hide for canteen grin

The man go just come dey speak parables of Louis and Francis grin
I had to cram badly to pass his subject

I fell inlove with Mexican culture, that's where everything All started. smiley
I wish to live in a Spanish speaking country someday

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by MizMyColi(f): 1:56pm On Feb 27, 2015
Lemme nuh lie o
@logicalmind since you mentioned me, I hope you are ready for epistle.

While it is out of topic, I have to state that there are times when I feel insecure and act downright childish (try dating me after I just let go of a sad relationship tongue)

Now, when I am very emotionally healthy, I am so joyful and I get my validation from within, whether a man is in my life or not.
Please don't misconstrue this, it is not pride.
The typical Nigerian man sees an eloquent and self-expressive lady as a thorn in the flesh and a plausible future problem.

It's just that I am a people person.
I know people on NL who have said very wrong things about me to others.
They don't understand how a lady can be so full of life and attract a following without going dirty, ultimately doing her best to maintain her integrity even while relating with all and sundry.

The typical Nigerian boyfriend would want his girl's world to revolve around him, I'd want that too.
But being who I am......if I am not relating with people (male and female alike) and adding value to lives in the ways that I can, I am usually a shadow of my real self.

A lady could be termed independent if she doesn't depend on her man for these major things.......

Love and Affection
Money

That money part is what irks me most.
I don't know how to ask for money.
It's not as if I don't like money o, mbanu.
But I barely ask like most ladies my age would, not because I don't want, but I no just sabiangry
I should take a course in that already.
I'd prefer the guy to give me with his church mind, if necessary.
Plus, the little I earn sustains me.
I hate giving anyone the idea I am their responsibility.

After all is said and done, I think moderation is key.
One thing I have observed is that we "independent" ladies are prone to pride.
So we have to watch it.
No one, not even Margaret Thatcher (Bless Her Soul) likes to feel unneeded/unwanted.

Maintain a posture of humility, keep your independent-mindedness intact.....you'll need it on a very rainy day.

I could write a dissertation on this, but this should suffice for now.
If you do not understand me clearly, before you draw your conclusions, please ask questionssmileysmileysmiley

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 2:00pm On Feb 27, 2015
ronald4lif:

O dey! Oshey baba

Your IQ don dey clock 300 embarassed

Wetin we go call you now?
Cuz super intelligence human is not enough angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by alberto2k(m): 2:03pm On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=MizMyColi post=31136877][/quote]

Female version of ronald4lif smiley
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 27, 2015
alberto2k:

I stay in PH (schooling)
But I use to live in north, kaduna precisely

Never attended any Spanish class rara

Back in school when its the french teacher's period... I dey run go hide for canteen grin

The man go just come dey speak parables of Louis and Francis grin
I had to cram badly to pass his subject

I fell inlove with Mexican culture, that's where everything All started. smiley
I wish to live in a Spanish speaking country someday
Alright. Nice
Re: Why Do Most Men Feel Insecured About Independent Women by ronald4lif(m): 2:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
alberto2k:

O dey! Oshey baba

Your IQ don dey clock 300 embarassed

Wetin we go call you now?
Cuz super intelligence human is not enough angry

Lol! Baba I dey learn work from you na grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are You Still Single? (please Choose) / Queen Of B***bs Roman Goddess In A Hotel With BF (photos) / Why Are We Not Talking About Promiscuous Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.