Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,351 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv (1767 Views)

A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome / Should I Allow My Wife To Leave Our 4 Month-Old-Baby And Start Work? / Should I Allow My Wife Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 6:10pm On Feb 27, 2015
what is your policy on tv watching by children?
Well for me I dont allow them watch tv during the week until weekend. In as much as I believe that a whole lot of learnings take place on tv. But I feel it could be distractive to children. But some friends say otherwise. What do you think nairalander parents.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by buygala(m): 6:14pm On Feb 27, 2015
Moderation is the key word...

Don't get too excited with being a father and do things which might have a negative effect on your kids
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
buygala:
Moderation is the key word...

Don't get too excited with being a father and do things which might have a negative effect on your kids

well is weekend tv not enough?
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
allow dem joor
but watch wat they watch!
and regulate the period
i think weekends arnt just enuff
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Beamborla(f): 6:20pm On Feb 27, 2015
It's very wrong! They might sneak out to watch it elsewhere and only God knows what they would be watching then.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 27, 2015
Allow them to watch TV. If you have a pay TV,restrict them to watch Cartoon channels.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by buygala(m): 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
bugativeron:

well is weekend tv not enough?

No, it isnt... as long as they do their house chores and school assignments, allow them to watch tv..

Only important thing is.. Always screen what they watch... I guess that's why there are parental control features on almost all tv decoders. .
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by elantraceey(f): 6:33pm On Feb 27, 2015
I'll say you should allow them watch TV because such strictness sometimes doesn't end well .
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 6:36pm On Feb 27, 2015
Is week days not for school work and all tge concentrations it requires. I dont have a prob with what they watch because there mum is always around with them to ensure approved channels are watched but concentration during the week I guess is important.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by harbibi: 6:49pm On Feb 27, 2015
bugativeron:
Is week days not for school work and all tge concentrations it requires. I dont have a prob with what they watch because there mum is always around with them to ensure approved channels are watched but concentration during the week I guess is important.
. Since you have made up your mind why seek the opinion of others?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by ITbomb(m): 7:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
Stopping kids to do something only heighten their interest and when they finally get to do it, they over do it.

Don't you ever remember that one day your kids will leave the house? If you didn't show them how to do things responsibly, who will when they go out there?

Let them watch TV but moderate what they watch. And not only watching, they should be operating it once in a while

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by pinkycute(f): 7:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
I tayah for the guy ooooo he just wanna show himself grin

Some pple sef lipsrsealed

harbibi:

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by chinnelle(f): 7:05pm On Feb 27, 2015
pls allow them watch tv
just moderate it

maybe they can watch for 1hr everyday after they must've done their homework, chores and had their siesta.

you can also lock the channels so they only have access to cartoon channels.

sometimes too,you can join them in watching so you know the kind of cartoons they like

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by SAMBARRY: 7:29pm On Feb 27, 2015
Let them watch cartoon for a minimum of 2hrs per day o jare. Wuras favourite cartoon is Barney. When they start singing it i just leave the tv for her but then I notice once she watches it and gets Carried away na sleep be the next thing smiley
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 7:53pm On Feb 27, 2015
harbibi:
so because I came to talk about it I shouldnt say anything again. I tire for you oooo
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 7:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
SAMBARRY:
Let them watch cartoon for a minimum of 2hrs per day o jare. Wuras favourite cartoon is Barney. When they start singing it i just leave the tv for her but then I notice once she watches it and gets Carried away na sleep be the next thing smiley
2hrs a day. When people come back from school and watch tv 2hrs what is left of the day?
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by SAMBARRY: 7:58pm On Feb 27, 2015
bugativeron:
2hrs a day. When people come back from school and watch tv 2hrs what is left of the day?
if they get home by 2pm, eat, watch tv till 4pm, they will do their assignments and by 6or 7pm play. By 9pm go to bed and get ready for school for the next day
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 8:09pm On Feb 27, 2015
SAMBARRY:
if they get home by 2pm, eat, watch tv till 4pm, they will do their assignments and by 6or 7pm play. By 9pm go to bed and get ready for school for the next day
hmmmm. 4 me they get home by 5.30pm from school it is after school prog for some days in the week until their mum pick them up. So getting home means eating and all sorts like assingment, cleaning of shoes all sorts. And by the time meal is consumed it is 8pm to your tent o isreal.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by todayguest(m): 8:34pm On Feb 27, 2015
Enough said. Use your discretion.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by rolled: 8:39pm On Feb 27, 2015
Later in life someone's kids will be friends with yours
May God save our kids
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by FynBabe(f): 8:51pm On Feb 27, 2015
Wura must be my baby's twin! If it's not Barney, it's nothing else o! I have tried to make her like other cartoons like Mickey mouse but she's just not interested.
SAMBARRY:
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Ewuro4: 9:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
ITbomb:
Stopping kids to do something only heighten their interest and when they finally get to do it, they over do it.

Don't you ever remember that one day your kids will leave the house? If you didn't show them how to do things responsibly, who will when they go out there?

Let them watch TV but moderate what they watch. And not only watching, they should be operating it once in a while

Tell him.

bugativeron:
Well for me I dont allow them watch tv during the week until weekend. In as much as I believe that a whole lot of learnings take place on tv. But I feel it could be distractive to children. But some friends say otherwise. What do you think nairalander parents .

Mine get 2hrs TV time on weekdays and unlimited time on weekends as long as they clean up their mess and homework & projects are done.

Please remember these are human beings not dummies wink Smart is the simplest term to describe these children. They will sneak and do it anyway. cheesy
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by SAMBARRY: 9:33pm On Feb 27, 2015
FynBabe:
Wura must be my baby's twin! If it's not Barney, it's nothing else o! I have tried to make her like other cartoons like Mickey mouse but she's just not interested.
mickey mouse for where. If I change it to other cartoon i no go hear word for house again so because of her I always pay for the subscription immediately once it's expired. A pack of ribena, teddy bear by her side and biscuit is all I need to give her while watching cartoon. so I can do other things if not na scatter scatter she go dey scatter the house

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by rolled: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2015
I really feel for kuylie
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by FynBabe(f): 11:12pm On Feb 27, 2015
grin cheesy cheesy
SAMBARRY:
mickey mouse for where. If I change it to other cartoon i no go hear word for house again so because of her I always pay for the subscription immediately once it's expired. A pack of ribena, teddy bear by her side and biscuit is all I need to give her while watching cartoon. so I can do other things if not na scatter scatter she go dey scatter the house

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Nutase: 8:04am On Feb 28, 2015
you sound like my dad sad
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Nutase: 8:06am On Feb 28, 2015
rolled:
I really feel for kuylie
what happened to kulyie. I really miss her sad
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 28, 2015
bugativeron:
Well for me I dont allow them watch tv during the week until weekend. In as much as I believe that a whole lot of learnings take place on tv. But I feel it could be distractive to children. But some friends say otherwise. What do you think nairalander parents.

OP, I don't think there's anything wrong with your approach provided you're balancing their time, and engaging them in other ways throughout the week.

I was raised this same way - TV was highly restricted. My dad was 'all work no play', or rather 'study-read-study', so it was usually my mom who provided all the anti-tv fun (trips/games/much needed breaks/etc).

If there's a TV show they're especially crazy about, you can TiVO/record it during the week, and allow them to watch it on the weekends. You could even incentivize it, if you like.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by bugativeron: 10:46am On Feb 28, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

OP, I don't think there's anything wrong with your approach provided you're balancing their time, and engaging them in other ways throughout the week.

I was raised this same way - TV was highly restricted. My dad was 'all work no play', or rather 'study-read-study', so it was usually my mom who provided all the anti-tv fun (trips/games/much needed breaks/etc).

If there's a TV show they're especially crazy about, you can TIVO/record it during the week, and allow them to watch it on the weekends. You could even incentivize it, if you like.
I like your post on engaging them in other ways during the week.
Re: Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv by ITbomb(m): 11:21am On Feb 28, 2015
bugativeron:

hmmmm. 4 me they get home by 5.30pm from school it is after school prog for some days in the week until their mum pick them up. So getting home means eating and all sorts like assingment, cleaning of shoes all sorts. And by the time meal is consumed it is 8pm to your tent o isreal.
School from 7 to 5:30? Hmm, this is a topic for another day

Personally, my kids needs all round development, not just book knowledge. I wouldn't want any school that keep them beyond 3 for secondary. They have more things to learn at home. Handling responsibilities, operating simple machines and equipment in the house, helping mum or even the maid, sleeping (very important at least 30 minutes siesta), cooking and if I have a garden, gardening

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sad Photos: A Family That Has Lived On A Refuse Dump For 20 Years! / What Are The Best Way To Discipline A Child Other Than Flogging / Dear Cynthia, My Son Was Expelled From School For Homosexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.