Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help (1217 Views)

2018 Mercedes-maybach G650 Landaulet Is The Most Expensive SUV Ever Made / 7 Reasons Nigerians Will Buy This N160m 2017 Bentley Bentayga SUV. / 2015 Porsche Macan: The Cutest SUV On Nigerian Road (2) (3) (4)

2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by samally: 7:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
one of my boss Suv as been grounded for months if not years due to bad engine and multiples repair...
now, i want to buy the car from him because i read some couple of comments here on how Toyota engine can be fix to it...i spoke to a technician here in north regarding the replacement of the engine to toyota camry and he said is not possible infact if not because of my status they were trying to mock me.

Please am pleading to all experts and experienced mechanic in the house to come for my aid....all what i need is the proceedures to make it happen...

Thanks to you all sir.
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27, 2015
samally:
one of my boss Suv as been grounded for months if not years due to bad engine and multiples repair...
now, i want to buy the car from him because i read some couple of comments here on how Toyota engine can be fix to it...i spoke to a technician here in north regarding the replacement of the engine to toyota camry and he said is not possible infact if not because of my status they were trying to mock me.
Please am pleading to all experts and experienced mechanic in the house to come for my aid....all what i need is the proceedures to make it happen...
Thanks to you all sir.

Please more detail about the vehicle you intend buying.

Anything is possible, iv done a lot of swaps in the past, some were just for fun, others were necessary because the engine parts were not available and the vehicle body was in great shape.

What ever you do, don't pay until you have mapped out all the details of your intentions.

Now for swaps the minimum you will need are as followed.

Engine and transmission
Harness (wiring)
Compatible Cv joints
Engine/transmission ecms

The rest of the job are basically fabrication. If you are not technically inclined, you might get frustrated before the job is completed, cause there is no straight forward way to complete the job, you just overcome obstacles as they come until the swap is complete.

Have you checked for the engine in the market? A swap is very expensive as easy as it may look, and modifications may be irreversible, so b4 you jump into this project weigh the pros and cons.

P.s where in the north are u located?
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by samally: 8:49pm On Feb 27, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Please more detail about the vehicle you intend buying.

Anything is possible, iv done a lot of swaps in the past, some were just for fun, others were necessary because the engine parts were not available and the vehicle body was in great shape.

What ever you do, don't pay until you have mapped out all the details of your intentions.

Now for swaps the minimum you will need are as followed.

Engine and transmission
Harness (wiring)
Compatible Cv joints
Engine/transmission ecms

The rest of the job are basically fabrication. If you are not technically inclined, you might get frustrated before the job is completed, cause there is no straight forward way to complete the job, you just overcome obstacles as they come until the swap is complete.

Have you checked for the engine in the market? A swap is very expensive as easy as it may look, and modifications may be irreversible, so b4 you jump into this project weigh the pros and cons.

P.s where in the north are u located?

i base in Maiduguri as for now and the vehicle is here also , am a very busy person due to the status of my job and i will be free after election.
infact his just giving me the car for a token amount of money..and the year model is 2002 not 2012..the body and interior are in good conditions
Am ready for the repairs as long it gonna be a successful job
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2015
samally:

i base in Maiduguri as for now and the vehicle is here also , am a very busy person due to the status of my job and i will be free after election.
infact his just giving me the car for a token amount of money..and the year model is 2002 not 2012..the body and interior are in good conditions
Am ready for the repairs as long it gonna be a successful job

Anything more than 100k is not a token.

The info I asked about? Engine specs? Engine type presently in bay(v6/I4), transsmission type(auto/manual)? First thing we do is cost what it takes to restore to original specs without any swaps.
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by samally: 9:10pm On Feb 27, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Anything more than 100k is not a token.

The info I asked about? Engine specs? Engine type presently in bay(v6/I4), transsmission type(auto/manual)? First thing we do is cost what it takes to restore to original specs without any swaps.

yes bro........
the engine is i4 and the transmission is automatic, but i don't mind if it work out with manual and for the original specs am not interested in it anymore because the car is not upto 2yrs now..and the engine as damaged

Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Nobody: 12:47am On Feb 28, 2015
My advice?

Walk away from this truck, and find something worthwhile to sink your money into.
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by billy187(m): 8:52am On Feb 28, 2015
Siena:
My advice?

Walk away from this truck, and find something worthwhile to sink your money into.

Use the money to pamper yourself and the wifey to some sweet cuisine! grin

but seriously, op.......i'm the type that would recommend any car to you as long as your heart is in it......but the mk1 freelander? Stay the hell away!
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 28, 2015
My random advice to OP:

My dear OP, buy this car out of pity for the seller and when any issue comes up, call me let's convert it to toyota 3S-FE or 5S-FE engine and matching gearbox.

Highest thing wey go happen the motor go kuku catch fire. undecided
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Readonee35L(m): 10:32am On Feb 28, 2015
lomomike:
My random advice to OP:

My dear OP, buy this car out of pity for the seller and when any issue comes up, call me let's convert it to toyota 3S-FE or 5S-FE engine and matching gearbox.

Highest thing wey go happen the motor go kuku catch fire. undecided
lol grin grin

there is still an existing thread
direct him dere

but i don't trust dt conversion at all
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
Readonee35L:

lol grin grin

there is still an existing thread
direct him dere

but i don't trust dt conversion at all
Where's the thread? Need to see what they did.

My bb pin changed
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Readonee35L(m): 3:40pm On Feb 28, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Where's the thread? Need to see what they did.

My bb pin changed
https://www.nairaland.com/1092539/camry-engine-freelander-1999-model#12815831
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2015
I remember that thread. The Freelander in question was never shown running, and with the position of the carburettor, there is no room to install an air cleaner solution, not even a remote one. That engine will choke to death on dust.

From what is visible, it is an extremely poor conversion, wires snaking everywhere, no shielding of fuel lines and wires from the exhaust manifold. An extreme fire hazard, that engine bay looked like a discarded rat's nesting area.
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 28, 2015
Siena:
I remember that thread. The
Freelander in question was never shown running, and with the position of
the carburettor, there is no room to install an air cleaner solution,
not even a remote one. That engine will choke to death on dust.

From what is visible, it is an extremely poor conversion, wires snaking
everywhere, no shielding of fuel lines and wires from the exhaust
manifold. An extreme fire hazard, that engine bay looked like a
discarded rat's nesting area.

lwkm grin
falls from moringa tree.
Re: 2002 Freelance Suv Needs Help by samally: 1:22pm On Mar 01, 2015
Siena:
My advice?

Thanks for the advice

I Need An Advice On A 2005 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Limited SUV / Is This A Bus Or A Death Trap? Pics / How California ensures sanity in the Automotive Repair Business -A Case Study