Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! (31339 Views)

Daughters Of Abdulmunafi Sarina, Owner Of Azman Air / CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds / CBN Threatens Severe Sanctions On Banks For TSA Violation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
Are the owners involved in Nigerian politics?

Need more info on their background. Knowing America are our real enemy.

1 Like

Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

The US govt don't act on assumptions or mere feelings. They have facts against the owners of Amigo supermarket. I wonder why our govt still allows them to run their businesses here.
their things are cheapest in Abuja. you dey jealous?cheesy
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by adanduka: 2:42pm On Feb 28, 2015
Well whatever happens, Wonderland should not be closed. It's a great hangout. cry
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by richesng(m): 3:00pm On Feb 28, 2015
In all honesty, we all need to be vigilant. The world is already fallen into the hands of terrorists and bad guys are on the prowl.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by nijanigga: 3:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

The US govt don't act on assumptions or mere feelings. They have facts against the owners of Amigo supermarket. I wonder why our govt still allows them to run their businesses here.
gej don't give a damn.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 3:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
shadowgwalker:
their things are cheapest in Abuja. you dey jealous?cheesy

Rubbish! Nothing will even take there to shop when we have Shoprite and others.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by ALISMILE(m): 3:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
Obinoscopy:
The courts cleared them of all charges and ordered the immediate re-opening of Amigo Supermarket.

http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/update-why-court-freed-amigo-supermarket-owner-jailed-fellow-lebanese-for-life/#sthash.61a52syN.dpuf

I will blame the courts for allowing the owners of Amigo Supermarket to go scot-free.
Government has the power to influence d judiciary! So I still blame d government!
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by crosbreaka: 3:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
Onyocha:
[b]5 FACTS ON THIS STORY AFTER RESEARCHING ON IT:

Some ignorant and over-sensational folks on Nairaland need to get their facts before they spew rubbish. they are even trying to capitalize on this story to attack President Jonathan for what the court in Nigeria has absolved some people for.

1.) you need to know that it is not every group that the US or any country brands a "terrorist group" that Nigeria must also brand a terrorist group. being a Muslim party or group doesn't necessary make any group that is at odds with the US a "terrorist group". the IRA fighting for Irish independence and nationalism is a Catholic group branded by both the US and UK "terrorist". Nelson Mandela was also once designated a terrorist for fighting for his people.

2.) Based on Nigerian law, and based on the ruling of a Nigerian court, Hezbollah is not a terrorist organization. so the owners of Amigo or any Lebanese who is associated or affiliated with that party/group has committed no offense against Nigeria, Nigerian law, or the government of Nigeria. the other charges on arms were all dropped by the court. the Lebanese businessmen were imprisoned for five months, during which it was purported that they were even drilled by MOSSAD agents in Nigeria, and the court dropped charges against them. they were freed. this can tell you that there is deep politics being played from abroad. foreign countries should not settle their scores in Nigeria. everyone in Nigeria should abide by Nigerian law, and Nigeria is neutral in their fight.

3.) if you follow international politics, this isn't the first time Lebanese businesses and businessmen have been targeted by US sanctions and were accused of having links to Hezbollah. the US could sanction anyone or anything that it doesn't have control over, or anyone who opposes Israel, and anyone that refuses to go by their dictate. a quick reminder of recent is that the US refused to sell arms to Nigeria because it claimed that human rights abuses were committed by the Nigerian Army, while the same US is having arms deals with despotic, crude and backwards governments that abuse their citizens and use American weapons on peaceful civilian protests in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and elsewhere. sanctioning of Lebanese businesses owned by Lebanese Shia has been the tactics also employed by Sunni regimes in the middle east to put pressure on Hezbollah and to try to influence Lebanese internal politics.

4.) Hezbollah is a political party in Lebanon with 14 members in the Lebanese parliament and two ministers in the Lebanese government. Hezbollah's main political ally in Lebanon is the largest Christian party in parliament called the Free Patriotic Movement led by a retired Christian general and former prime minister, Michel Aoun. the main constituency of Hezbollah is the Shi'ite (also spelled "Shia" ) community, which is the largest single religious community in Lebanon comprising 43% of Lebanon's total population. Hezbollah also has an armed wing it dumbed "the Islamic resistance" that drove Israeli occupation of Lebanon out in 2000 and fought with Israel in 2006 a standstill war. European Union members meet often with Hezbollah officials, and just yesterday it was in the news that French members of parliament met with a high ranking Hezbollah official. even until recently (in 2014) after much pressure from US and Israel, the EU only blacklisted the armed wing of Hezbollah as a "terrorist organization" and refused to blacklist the entire party. the EU, as already stated, continues to deal directly with Hezbollah.

5.) for those easily swayed by religious sentiments, who get "irritated" by anything "Muslim" or "Islam", cool down. Hezbollah is a Shia Islamist party. it is opposed by the Sunni islamist parties with Wahhabi ideological leanings. Hezbollah is currently fighting against ISIL and the Nusra Front (alqaeda's affiliate in Syria), while US allies- like turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia- continue to support these groups to battle the government of Bashar al-Assad. so the point is Hezbollah is no friend of Boko Haram. Boko Haram's leader recently pledged allegiance to the ISIL caliph. Hezbollah is siding with the Syrian Army and the government of Bashar al-Assad (who is Alawite, an sub-sect of Shia Islam) against both ISIL and Nusra Front in Syria. Nusra Front fighters are giving medical care and support by Israel across the border. Israel, and the US and its allies oppose the government of Bashar al-Assad. ISIL and other extremist Sunni Wahhabi terrorist groups view the Shi'ites as apostates/heretics.

to conclude, as far as the foreigners hosted in Nigeria are law abiding and peaceful, they pose no threat to Nigeria. whatever tactics or poltical maneuvers the US/Israel choose to play by, they should respect the sovereignty of other countries and not impose their will.[/b]
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Orikinla(m): 3:43pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

[size=18pt]GEJ has more links to sponsors of terrorists in Nigeria.
Illegal oil bunkering or cases of crude oil theft increased since President Goodluck Jonathan came into office.
The illegal oil trade goes with illegal arms trade as oil exchanges for arms in the high seas where most of the Islamic terrorists and sea pirates are actively engaged with more than US$20 million exchanging hands daily. The Nigerians who are major supporters of President Jonathan are daily dealers in The Togo Triangle, an offshore market for stolen oil off the coast of Nigeria and Togo near the Niger Delta. The Triangle has been compared to an "open-air drug market" for trade in illegal crude oil, noted for the presence of pirates

So, when I see the ignoramuses yelling GEJ TILL 2019 and others, I just feel great pity for them, because they are actually fools who don't even know what the 2015 presidential election is all about and why President Jonathan and his political mafia are desperate to spend as many billions of dollars as they can to stop Gen. Muhammad Buhari who alone has the balls and guts to stop these enemies of Nigeria from the Niger Delta to Lake Chad.

[/size]

[size=18pt]
Oil and Terrorism in the New Gulf: Framing U.S. Energy and Security Policies for the Gulf of Guinea
Nov 14, 2006
by James J.F. Forest and Matthew V. Sousa

Forest and Sousa focus on nexus of energy wealth and good governance, which is the key to future economic development, stability and prevention of terrorism. They have done a terrific job highlighting U.S. national security interests in the Gulf of Guinea—a little understood region of tremendous oil wealth. (Ariel Cohen, The Heritage Foundation)
About the Author
James J.F. Forest is director of terrorism studies and assistant professor at the United States Military Academy. Mattew V. Sousa is currently serving as a Foreign Area Officer in the U.S. Army, specializing in Sub-Saharan Africa.

http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Terrorism-New-Gulf-Security/dp/0739119958/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425133793&sr=1-1&keywords=9780739119952

Terrorism, oil bunkering threats to Nigeria’s survival –Chalker
July 7, 2012 by Olalekan Adetayo

The Coordinator of the Honorary International Investor Council, Baroness Linda Chalker, on Friday said the twin problems of terrorism and oil bunkering posed great danger to Nigeria if not properly addressed.

Chalker made the observation while briefing State House correspondents at the end of a two-day meeting of the council held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

She regretted that those attempting to undermine the country were Nigerians themselves.

She, however, agreed that the disgruntled Nigerians could be receiving armament from outside the country.

She warned Nigerians against the dissemination of only negative stories about the country.

She said, “If the stories that come out of Nigeria are negative, you are undermining your own country. “If people hear that there are opportunities, they then start to think of how they can work on those opportunities and that is what we have to get the Diaspora in every nation to do for the people of Nigeria.

“Every embassy and every high commission of Nigeria has got to promote the opportunities in Nigeria when they are overseas.

“I don’t think terrorism, however worrying it is, has actually stopped any major investment yet.

“But if it is not dealt with and the bunkering of oil, if these things are not dealt with, they will have a long term effect.”

Chalker expressed confidence in President Goodluck Jonathan’s sincerity in addressing the security challenges in the country.

She made specific reference to the recent sacking of the former National Security Adviser, Gen. Andrew Azazi and the ex-Minister of Defence, Dr. Haliru Bello, as signs of Jonathan’s commitment to the anti-terrorism war.

http://www.punchng.com/news/terrorism-oil-bunkering-threats-to-nigerias-survival-chalker/
[/size]
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by munky(m): 4:07pm On Feb 28, 2015
some ignorant people have been pointing fingers at the government. they say the government is useless.

first, DSS arrested these brothers and a competent court freed them. remember these guys have Nigerian citizenship and so can't be treated anyhow. they are entitled to a fair hearing. DSS have done their part, it is left for the courts to do their part.

secondly, Nigeria does not have the intelligence capability that the US have. we dont know the source of the US information. The US has intelligence assets all over the world. if the US wants to help Nigeria, what they should have done was to pass info to our DSS agents in order to facilitate their conviction and am guessing they didn't. somebody said the government can influence the judiciary. under our current constitution the judiciary is independent. GEJ is not a despot he always abide by the court rulings even if its detrimental. you can't cherry pick cases. if u want a meddlesome government don't cry foul when the outcome does not favour you.

thirdly, remember these Lebanese brothers and various other families have been living in Nigeria since before independence.

am not absolving the government of any blame. all am saying is fundamental human rights should be observed. the Nigerian government should work hard to find facts linking these brothers to terrorist activities so the courts can jail them with a clean conscience.

1 Like

Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by SimpleJetty(f): 4:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
IbnSultaan:
Hizbollah a political party in lebanon also owns its own resistance army is on certain countries terror list. So its members are always place on different type of sanctions
In Nigeria hizbollah is nt a designated terror Grp

DSS, ARMY and the COUNTER TERRORISM UNIT should move in to get this person who made this comment I am quoting now arrested, detained and prosecuted. This is an upcoming Shekau in disguise. Security agencies please do the needful now before it's late.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by romioray: 4:26pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

Are the courts not part of the government?

Are you part of the government too? Don't you want the judiciary to be independent? Do you want the president to interfer in judicial matters or court ruling so that you will paint him a dictator? Let us not be blind in our arguments.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by mymadam(m): 4:59pm On Feb 28, 2015
menix:
D same person Nigerian govt freed..
Com is it dat Nigerian problem is spiritual..

A Gej fan buh if Buhari wuld undo diz problem i dont mind ooo..

shocked Makes sense, IMHO. Thank you. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Eluwilussit(m): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

Good. So while you choose to blame the courts, I still hold the Nigerian govt accountable for allowing terrorists thrive in the country.

It doesn't work like that, even in America. If the courts clear you, it ends there. This is democracy. FG can't go against the order of the courts.

Have you ever wondered why all the terrorists on the western watch lists, have not been arrested and deported? Even terrorists have rights. Those rights must be respected. The courts are the guardians of these rights. Not the government.

We are always quick to blame the presidency for everything that goes wrong. Ever heard of separation of power? There's little or nothing the president can do. There should be strictly non-interference by the executive arm. If the courts are corrupt, let the police investigate them and make their findings public. The masses, then has the duty to protest and put pressure on the courts. We all have a role to play.

Unfortunately, ours is a funny society. We all lay back and point fingers at the presidency. That's not to say that the presidency is not corrupt. In developed nations, the police, the courts and the people, keep the executive arm of the government upright. Not the other way.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Reptyle(m): 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2015
Obinoscopy:
The courts cleared them of all charges and ordered the immediate re-opening of Amigo Supermarket.

http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/update-why-court-freed-amigo-supermarket-owner-jailed-fellow-lebanese-for-life/#sthash.61a52syN.dpuf

I will blame the courts for allowing the owners of Amigo Supermarket to go scot-free.

I won't blame the courts because courts can only adjudicate based on facts before them. If the facts brought against the Fawaz brothers by the DSS (who I believe prosecuted the case on behalf of the federal government) were not hard enough to prove the case of terrorism beyond reasonable doubt, the courts have no choice but to set them free and restore all their rights. Don't forget that the brothers are naturalised Nigerian citizens now, with rights guaranteed by the Nigerian constitution.

I think the DSS needs to reopen its investigation based on this new insight. Nigeria must not be portrayed as a safe haven for terrorists. Our image is bad enough as is.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 8:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
romioray:

Are you part of the government too? Don't you want the judiciary to be independent? Do you want the president to interfer in judicial matters or court ruling so that you will paint him a dictator? Let us not be blind in our arguments.

Read through my earlier comments very well and you will not see where I pointed fingers at GEJ. I referred to the FG as a whole.

In this case, it is you who has chosen to blind your eyes to the points I raised. Kindly refrain from quoting me out of context.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 8:57pm On Feb 28, 2015
Eluwilussit:

It doesn't work like that, even in America. If the courts clear you, it ends there. This is democracy. FG can't go against the order of the courts.

Have you ever wondered why all the terrorists on the western watch lists, have not been arrested and deported? Even terrorists have rights. Those rights must be respected. The courts are the guardians of these rights. Not the government.

We are always quick to blame the presidency for everything that goes wrong. Ever heard of separation of power? There's little or nothing the president can do. There should be strictly non-interference by the executive arm. If the courts are corrupt, let the police investigate them and make their findings public. The masses, then has the duty to protest and put pressure on the courts. We all have a role to play.

Unfortunately, ours is a funny society. We all lay back and point fingers at the presidency. That's not to say that the presidency is not corrupt. In developed nations, the police, the courts and the people, keep the executive arm of the government upright. Not the other way.

What a waste of time to post the above jargon. Please point out from my earlier post where I expressly accused the Presidency for allowing terrorists thrive in the country. I remember saying the FG. Please refrain from quoting me out of context.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Eluwilussit(m): 9:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
uboma:

What a waste of time to post the above jargon. Please point out from my earlier post where I expressly accused the Presidency for allowing terrorists thrive in the country. I remember saying the FG. Please refrain from quoting me out of context.

I was not particularly on your case; just trying to point out somethings. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or pride. I am sorry if I came across that way. I apologize.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by jacseniore(m): 10:44pm On Feb 28, 2015
This same wonderland that kids troop to all the time here in abj, let them not hold any1 hostage one day o haba. These were also the same guys that were accused of smuggling fire arms and ammunitions into the country some yrz bk. Something is definitely nt right!
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 8:21am On Mar 01, 2015
uboma:

Rubbish! Nothing will even take there to shop when we have Shoprite and others.
... the others no sabi fix price for items. some are after the customer money more than service rendered.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 01, 2015
jacseniore:
This same wonderland that kids troop to all the time here in abj, let them not hold any1 hostage one day o haba. These were also the same guys that were accused of smuggling fire arms and ammunitions into the country some yrz bk. Something is definitely nt right!
... the business was released to somebody else, one of their brothers. there was really a terrorist in their midst training a little group of military(ofcos the ragboys), he has been prosecuted. that's why the business is up and running again.
my own be say, if nah Nigerian person in their land, the business will be taken by their government oh.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 8:27am On Mar 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
... the others no sabi fix price for items. some are after the customer money more than service rendered.

Abi? Lol
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 01, 2015
uboma:

Abi? Lol
cheesy

i'm good in market survey, it's not because a place is big like Sambisa that I'll luv the place. the biggest shop in Abuja, their prices are just an apology.

These foreigners, they sell their stuffs almost the same way you get them online. I compared some items I saw in UAE and it's same price in their store.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 8:38am On Mar 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
cheesy

i'm good in market survey, it's not because a place is big like Sambisa that I'll luv the place. the biggest shop in Abuja, their prices are just an apology.

These foreigners, they sell their stuffs almost the same way you get them online. I compared some items I saw in UAE and it's same price in their store.

Dude, you can continue shopping at Amigo, I never advised you against that.

Personally, I don't shop and never will.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by jacseniore(m): 10:55am On Mar 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
... the business was released to somebody else, one of their brothers. there was really a terrorist in their midst training a little group of military(ofcos the ragboys), he has been prosecuted. that's why the business is up and running again.
my own be say, if nah Nigerian person in their land, the business will be taken by their government oh.

well foreigners are kings in Nigeria!
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 01, 2015
jacseniore:

well foreigners are kings in Nigeria!
GBAM!! that's the point.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 01, 2015
uboma:

Dude, you can continue shopping at Amigo, I never advised you against that.

Personally, I don't shop and never will.
same here, I do more of window shopping, I only buy what I need. copy me.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by uboma(m): 11:52am On Mar 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
same here, I do more of window shopping, I only buy what I need. copy me.

I meant to say that I don't shop there and never will.
Re: Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! by candyx: 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
I will blame the courts for allowing the owners of Amigo Supermarket to go scot-free.[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder if they bribe them to let this people go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Buhari Re-Opened Nigeria’s Land Borders — Vanguard / CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change / The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.