Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator (38035 Views)

My Neighbour Is About To Kill His Wife!! Please Advice. (urgent) / My Neighbour's Wife Peeps Through My Door, Should I Report To The Husband? / Help!!! My Neighbour Is A Screamer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by davit: 4:54am On Mar 01, 2015
Can someone tell me who to report my neighbour to. His generator is right behind my flat while he stays upstairs. He does not put off the gen until some mins to 12 am while as early as 4am the generator is on again whenever there is power outage. The gen is so noisy that my family has to wait for him to turn it off before we are able to go in to sleep at night. When he turns it on in the morning, we have to move to the living room to avoid the noise.

Our landlord does not stay with us and all efforts to resolve this have proved abortive as the said neighbour doesn't appear reasonable. As I type this , the gen is on.

Your contributions will be appreciated.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by RoyalRoy(m): 5:10am On Mar 01, 2015
Apart from the noise, its a health risk having a generator right behind your windows where the fume can difuse in while you are sleeping.

Please inform the caretaker or the house agent who you got the house from if the landlord is not available.

There should be somewhere a bit appropriate to put the generator instead of directly behind your flats.

He should be reasonable enough if you let him know the health risk his generator poses to you and your family.

I feel your pain.

Got a tenant like that some years back, had to stylishly kick him out when his rent was due.
grin grin grin

40 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:15am On Mar 01, 2015
Talk to him I believe he will understand but, if it happens that he rented his brain out to sum1 & start creating a scene.. Take his case to iffa.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Ilekeh(f): 5:24am On Mar 01, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Talk to him I believe he will understand but, if it happens that he rented his brain out to sum1 & start creating a scene.. Take his case to iffa.

lmao grin

7 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Tallesty1(m): 5:30am On Mar 01, 2015
If all ur efforts to make him understand that the generator is disturbing your family has failed then I think it is time to put salt or sugar in the generator tank for him. Mix a cup of sugar with kerosene and pour it all in or put some valve grinding compound into the tank let's see how far it goes.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Nobody: 6:14am On Mar 01, 2015
Tallesty1:
If all ur efforts to make him understand that the generator is disturbing your family has failed then I think it is time to put salt or sugar in the generator tank for him. Mix a cup of sugar with kerosene and pour it all in or put some valve grinding compound into the tank let's see how far it goes.
...Please, I'd like to know; won't the owner discover what happened?

3 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Tallesty1(m): 6:25am On Mar 01, 2015
chimkaire:
The mechanic is likely to discover what happened if you use salt or sugar and kero.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 01, 2015
Tallesty1:
The mechanic is likely to discover what happened if you use salt or sugar and kero.
Ok, thanks.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by davit: 8:26am On Mar 01, 2015
I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I have talked to the guy, but he is such a stubborn fella. The agent is another irresponsible fella who only comes around when the rent is due. The landlord has told us to stop calling since he has an agent he pays to handle the house issues. Is there any legal way to deal with this situation? I am considering some of the ideas proposed above anyways!

4 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Coldplay007(f): 8:58am On Mar 01, 2015
Tallesty1:

The idea is to make him know... You are passing a message across...
Deny it if he asks you, but you both know the truth...

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by stinggy(m): 9:02am On Mar 01, 2015
Talk to him and let him know the risks and disturbance you suffer from this act of his. You can do this in the presence of other tenant(s) so you can have witness(es).
Then if he doesn't want to change you can mix the salt mixture for him. If he doesn't want a peaceful solution, he has to learn the hard way wink

chimkaire:
Hmmm... If you try that with my Gen ehnnn lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Joel3(m): 9:55am On Mar 01, 2015
Noted: so you are the damn fellow on the down flat?. Noted if anything should happened to my Generator you will be held responsible.

The gen is not at all close to your window.

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by MARKone(m): 10:02am On Mar 01, 2015
davit:
Can someone tell me who to report my neighbour to. His generator is right behind my flat while he stays upstairs. He does not put off the gen until some mins to 12 am while as early as 4am the generator is on again whenever there is power outage. The gen is so noisy that my family has to wait for him to turn it off before we are able to go in to sleep at night. When he turns it on in the morning, we have to move to the living room to avoid the noise.

Our landlord does not stay with us and all efforts to resolve this have proved abortive as the said neighbour doesn't appear reasonable. As I type this , the gen is on.

Your contributions will be appreciated.

You can report him to the police. But have you talked to him, because your neighbour's action is highly preposterous, apart from the noise pollution and denying you guys sound sleep, the carbon monoxide emissions is a risk your family's health. You seem to be the very peaceful type, because if am the one, I will seize that generator, or he takes it up to his own flat. The salt thing to me will be a cowardly act.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by BabaAlabi: 10:04am On Mar 01, 2015
Please don't pour kerosene into his generator because it will only escalate the problem.
Get in touch with a health inspector in your area, I assure you a simple call from them to the landlord will make him take action immediately OR threaten the landlord that you will not pay rent again because of the health hazard fumes from the generator pose to your life. I am confident the call from any health inspector even if it's a junior staff will work.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by hahn(m): 10:45am On Mar 01, 2015
Op, your only solution is to vote for someone who will fix the power issue we have in this country.

I can bet even your tenant isn't comfortable with having to spend money everyday to provide his own electricity and if you had the money you'd also fuel your generator because in this age nothing really beats the feeling of having constant electricity. If he buys N500 fuel everyday, that quickly amounts to N30,000 monthly which is way beyong the salary of the average Nigerian when he should pay less if the government had taken care of this issue.

You can confront him and ask him to relocate his gen to where it would generate less noise. You can even offer to buy the wire he could use to extend the position of the gen. At the end of the day I don't see how you can expect to subject him to living in total darkness when he can afford to provide electricity for himself

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 01, 2015
Off the gen,let him come down,and explain to him. If he didnt bulge,dont relent to off the gen,whenever you are disturbed..

If need be,involve your community association..

6 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by yomi007k(m): 1:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Tell him to carry his gen upstairs near his flat. Or report to landlord or go switch d damn thing off if its bugging u.
U got lots of options, na just mind to select remain.

6 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by davit: 1:46pm On Mar 01, 2015
yomi007k:
Tell him to carry his gen upstairs near his flat. Or report to landlord or go switch d damn thing off if its bugging u.
U got lots of options, na just mind to select remain.

So many options indeed to pick from. Buh some can't work. We have no serious association as someone suggested. The guy and I have talked about this several times; in fact we ve been on it for more than a year. Initially, he was running the gen all tru the nite until I began to switch off which generated some issues then. He agreed to be turning it off at 12 am. But the option of having it on as early as 4 am wasn't part of the bargain then.

The guy does some other annoying things in the house that I believe he will never listen. Other tenants are aware of this. Some of them also complain about the noise. But they re not as affected as I am.

Babaalabi, please where can I get the health inspector you mentioned?
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by yomi007k(m): 1:50pm On Mar 01, 2015
davit:

So many options indeed to pick from. Buh some can't work. We have no serious association as someone suggested. The guy and I have talked about this several times; in fact we ve been on it for more than a year. Initially, he was running the gen all tru the nite until I began to switch off which generated some issues then. He agreed to be turning it off at 12 am. But the option of having it on as early as 4 am wasn't part of the bargain then.

The guy does some other annoying things in the house that I believe he will never listen. Other tenants are aware of this. Some of them also complain about the noise. But they re not as affected as I am.

Babaalabi, please where can I get the health inspector you mentioned?
Na wa oo
Does he not have his own balcony?

1 Like

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Joel3(m): 2:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
yomi007k:

Na wa oo
Does he not have his own balcony?
blame president jonathan for not providing electricity. If he can disturbed everyday this tell me that your guys are in total darkness. I will not be surprise you are among those that keep shouting GEJ till 2019.

16 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by yomi007k(m): 2:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Joel3:
blame president jonathan for not providing electricity. If he can disturbed everyday this tell me that your guys are in total darkness. I will not be surprise you are among those that keep shouting GEJ till 2019.

I honestly blame jonathan for everything including not giving u a brain...lol
Send GEJ to otuoke...n take this dude along with him. grin

10 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by davit: 2:50pm On Mar 01, 2015
Joel3:

As much as I will not want us brbg politics into the, I need I make it clear here that only the blind will be supporting what does not work, like the present government where the citizens do everything for themselves. I don't have any other options but give CHANGE the benefit of the doubt.

Still waiting for BabaAlabi or who else that knows how to get a health inspector.
Thanks.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by dechandel(f): 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
undecided undecided undecided
Get some boys to come and steal the gen lipsrsealed

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by AmakaDNB(f): 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Nothing much you can do. If it's you, you will not throw away your generator.
But you can report to the local govt though. There is a certain decibel allowed.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by jeeqaa7(m): 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
And so
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by kaywiluv(f): 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Pour salt inside.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by tammie24: 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Haba!
You mean u have endured this for over a year?
That's too bad.
What an insensitive human being
Abeg pour salt jare!

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Salt and water is the way

You may be lucky, his technician may be a learner and would hardly detect the fault,

If you keep at it, he may be tired of repairs and may force himself to buy a better generator which may be less noisy.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by Smartresult(f): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
No to it

1 Like

Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by NotNairalandi(m): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
grin arrest the man with the members of operation off the Gen.
Re: Help! My Neighbour Disturbs Me With His Generator by sochima1989(m): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Bros use. Ur APC and PDP propaganda

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wife Fights Her Husband After She Was Told To Pack Out. Photos / Entire Family Members Dead In Abia (Photo) / The Death, Obituary & Burial Of Promise Oluebube, A 13-Year-Old Boy In Mbaitoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.