Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:34 PM

Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. (57047 Views)

Afam Nduaguba Made It At Havard University, Graduates As Stellar Student / Obama Recognises, Commends 19-year-old Nigerian Harvard Finalist / Obama Recognises, Commends 19-year-old Nigerian Harvard Finalist [see Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by azikiweironsi(m): 3:56pm On Mar 01, 2015
koife:
Sai Gej, transformation even to american soil.. grin
Msheeew. What's this one saying? Transformation my foot. Transformation on paper. Would she ever be given chance to learn at all in Nigeria with incessant strikes, incessant power outages on campus, infact too numerous to be mentioned. No wonder they call Amerca freedom country. Imagine President recognising a foreigner unlike ours hosting celebs. Very hilarious. Nigerian wakeup. This is the time for change. Never again would I vote for clueless one .
GMB all the way.
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by maestroz: 4:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
Adehwale:

Bad guy obama watching d backside of d teen while the firstlady watch wit awe
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by kaybrizzy(m): 4:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
Smh
GogetterMD:
Proudly Islam

For those who keep quoting me, abeg, take a cue from history. And besides, it's not an offence to have mentioned her religion is it? Afterall it's glaring from the picture. Same way I am proud of the youngest person to have qualified with a medical degree from LUTH, also a Muslim lady. Same way you have Nobel prize winners that also wear the hijab. Don't like it, deal with it
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
waoh.Another lesson for me.
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by uncjay(m): 5:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
CaptainAmerica1:

She is yoruba, go and find out if you like.

Don't insult the person who painted Islam, whenever it's something bad you guys would be castigating Islam. Now this is a good thing, why shouldn't he be proud?
lolz....good indeed, liberally, how many of the good countable to the bad...
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Fulaman198(m): 6:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Congratulations sister
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by MarieSucre(f): 7:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
GogetterMD:
Proudly Islam

For those who keep quoting me, abeg, take a cue from history. And besides, it's not an offence to have mentioned her religion is it? Afterall it's glaring from the picture. Same way I am proud of the youngest person to have qualified with a medical degree from LUTH, also a Muslim lady. Same way you have Nobel prize winners that also wear the hijab. Don't like it, deal with it
You're one of the problems with Nigeria and humanity as a whole. Is it islam that made her the intellectual she is or is it the hijab that got her that recognition?what will jews do now; throw a party in outer -space coz they have more nobel prizes? enough with this "them" and "us" syndrome and just revel in the progress achieved by our collective humanity.

1 Like

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 7:25pm On Mar 01, 2015
Very well done to the young lady, I hear she was accepted to study at almost all of the ivy league universities in the US except Yale.

I hope she will one day return to Nigeria to help develop the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kytpG2gdBs

2 Likes

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Laid2001: 7:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
Saheela's dad was a Uite and graduated with first Class in mechanical Engineering.
She comes from the lineage of geniuses. The Dad is now a VP in an investment bank on Broad street!
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by akwunmi(m): 8:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
GogetterMD:
Proudly Islam

1m like 4u.ProudOfIslam
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by akwunmi(m): 8:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
GogetterMD:
Proudly Islam

1m likes 4u.ProudOfIslam
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by igbo2011(m): 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
cap28:
Very well done to the young lady, I hear she was accepted to study at almost all of the ivy league universities in the US except Yale.

I hope she will one day return to Nigeria to help develop the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kytpG2gdBs

Does Harvard produce house negroes or field negroes?
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Rhea(f): 8:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
Adehwale:
Nigerian genius, Saheela Ibraheem, 19, made history On Thursday, February, 26, when she was honoured with an official reception in the White House by the US President, Barack Obama and the First Lady, Michelle.

Saheela Ibraheem got into the Ivy League Harvard at the age of 15, where she is currently studying neurobiology — a branch of science that studies the brain — and has been listed among the “World’s 50 Smartest Teenagers.” She was also accepted for admission by 13 other top colleges in the United States, including the MIT, Princeton, Columbia, and six Ivy League institutions, choosing Harvard, she became one of the youngest students to ever attend the university. She will be graduating in May this year.

Speaking after an introductory speech by Ibraheem at the White House, President Obama stated that “there are a lot of teenagers in the world. Saheela is like one of the 50 smartest ones. That’s pretty smart. And she’s a wonderful young lady. She’s like the State Department and the National Institute of Health all rolled into one. And we are so proud of your accomplishments and all that lies ahead of you. And you reflect our history. Young people like you inspire our future.”

Ibraheem, who skipped two grades in school, said the key to success is figuring out what you love to learn as early as possible, which she did at the young age of five.

“If you are passionate about what you do, and I am passionate about most of these things, especially with math and science, it will work out well,” she told CBS 2s Cindy Hsu. In addition, Ibraheem speaks four languages that include Arabic, Spanish and Latin.

Her mother, Shakirat Ibraheem, said her daughter has been way ahead of the academic game since kindergarten — never cutting corners and trying to do everything on her own. “She’s like always independent,” she said. “I never get to help with her homework because she’d say ‘it’s my work mommy, not yours.’”

Ibraheem’s recognition and reception was part of the “Black History Month” celebration in the US, which comes up in February. The “Black History Month”, takes root from the activities of the “Association for the Study of African American Life and History.” Every year, Americans set aside the month of February to celebrate the central role that African-Americans have played in every aspect of American life especially the march for freedom and equality, jobs and justice, the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and some profound contributions African-Americans make in the American culture.

Present at the evening event were members of the US Congress, including Leader Nancy Pelosi, and members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

http://leadership.ng/news/414630/obama-recognises-commends-19-year-old-nigerian-harvard-finalist

I wonder what makes her a Nigerian
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by OwolabiJ: 9:10pm On Mar 01, 2015
NIGERIA CUSTOM SERVICE REPLACEMENT RECRUITMENT SLOT 2015/2016 call the RECRUITMENT OFFICER Mr Bankole Collins on 009-234-810-820-8325 for assistant and inquires. CATEGORY OF A GENERAL DUTY (1) SUPERINTENDENT CADRE (2) INSPECTOR CADRE (3) ASSISTANT CADRE (B) AIRWING: (1)SUPERINTENDE NT CADRE (2)INSPECTOR CADRE (3)ASSISTANT CADRE (C) MECHANICAL1) SUPERINTENDENT CADRE (2) INSPECTOR CADRE (D) BUILDING: (1) SUPERINTENDENT CADRE (2) INSPECTOR CADRE (3) ASSISTANT CADRE (E) ELECTRICAL: (1) SUPERINTENDENT CADRE (2)INSPECTOR CADRE (3) ASSISTANT CADRE (F)PRINTING: (1)INSPECTOR CADRE (2)ASSISTANT CADRE (G)ACCOUNTS/ AUDIT: (1)SUPERINTENDE NT CADRE (2)INSPECTOR CADRE (3) ASSISTANT CADRE (H) SECRETARY/ SECRETARIAL ASSISTANT: (1) INSPECTOR CADRE (I) STORES: (1) INSPECTOR CADRE (J) ASSISTANT CADRE GENERAL CONDITIONS All candidates must: Be a Nigerian by birth or descent. Not be less than 1.7 metres in height, for male and 1.64 metres for female. measurement of not less than 0.87 metres, male.Be certified by a Government Medical Officer to be physically and mentally fit for appointment. Not be suffering from any form of physical or mental disability,Be free from any form of financial embarrassment. Be of good character and must not have been found guilty of any criminal offence.. NCE SSCE ND HND BSC Have a Certificate of State of Origin signed by the Chairman or Secretary of their Local Governments. . How to Apply METHOD OF APPLICATION If you meet the requirements for the above positions and are interested in pursuing a career with Nigeria Customs Service, please forward your email ....or contact the RECRUITMENT OFFICER Mr Bankole Collins on 009-234-810-820-8325 on how to purchase the form and for directive. SIGNED MANAGEMENT
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Georgematics(m): 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2015
GogetterMD:
Proudly Islam

brainwashed morafucker...my sisters wear rijab does dat mak em muslims??
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by simdam500(m): 10:52am On Mar 02, 2015
She really is a genius.... goodluck to her...

And with me grin
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by amshigida: 12:15pm On Mar 02, 2015
Am happy for you sister.
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 9:07pm On Mar 02, 2015
igbo2011:

Does Harvard produce house negroes or field negroes?

grin grin
Its an elite college and attracts mainly the children of rich upper class white people, therefore the answer to your question is that it has a high propensity to produce house negroes rather than field negroes.

The few blacks who graduate from a school like Harvard regard themselves as being above members of their own race and rather than use their god given intellectual ability and talent to help their people tend to shun anything that reminds them of their roots , these type of blacks tend to adopt the ideologies, beliefs and mannerisms of upper class whites, some even become more racist towards blacks than white people!!

A famous black comedian by the name of Dick Gregory once responded , when asked if his children attended Harvard that he wouldn't send his dog there! At the time I didn't understand what he meant but since listening to a few blacks who attended that institution I've come to understand where he was coming from. Harvard is really a finishing school for the children of white elites, most blacks who attend the school end up with an identity crisis - they can't fit back into the society where they came from and they can't fit into upper class white society either because of the fact that they are black.

Many end up with psychological issues, hopefully this young lady might turn out to be the exception to the rule.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 9:20pm On Mar 02, 2015
Black Students at Harvard fighting for acceptance by the white majority who feel they don't deserve to be there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMTSPGZRiI#t=202

1 Like

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Fulaman198(m): 9:23pm On Mar 02, 2015
Rhea:

I wonder what makes her a Nigerian

Her blood she is 100% Nigerian
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Fulaman198(m): 9:24pm On Mar 02, 2015
cap28:
Black Students at Harvard fighting for acceptance by the white majority who feel they don't deserve to be there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMTSPGZRiI#t=202

I think black people in predominately white countries should stop trying to be accepted by whites and just do their own thing. Be proud of who/whom they are naturally because whites will never accept them. Build a strong community that pursues innovation and education. That's just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 9:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
Laid2001:
Saheela's dad was a Uite and graduated with first Class in mechanical Engineering.
She comes from the lineage of geniuses. The Dad is now a VP in an investment bank on Broad street!

That's what I thought, we need people like this in Nigeria. I hope her father ensures that she goes home to Nigeria when she is older in order to help her nation because the whites are waiting to snatch her up and use her knowledge and skills, young people like this are needed in Nigeria, there are many more children like her who are wasting away in Nigeria simply becauwe they were not born into the right family, a special foundation needs to be set up to financially assist gifted children from poor backgrounds in Nigeria because I know there will be many more children in Nigeria who are gifted like this girl but can not get the sponsorship that will enable them fully realise their potential.
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 9:59pm On Mar 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

I think black people in predominately white countries should stop trying to be accepted by whites and just do their own thing. Be proud of who/whom they are naturally because whites will never accept them. Build a strong community that pursues innovation and education. That's just my 2 cents.

I agree. As you can see white people still see black people as N.......... even with a Harvard education. Infact many believe that the black people who were accepted to study at Harvard did not get in on merit. It would have been interesting to see what they made of the young Nigerian genius Saheela.

Until blacks all over the world understand that only they hold the key to their advancement as a race we will continue to see blacks begging to be accepted by whites like those young black students on that video, the Honourable Marcus Mosiah Garvey got it right when he advocated that black people all over the world must:

establish a universal confraternity among the race.

promote the spirit of race pride and love.

reclaim the fallen race.

establish universities, colleges and secondary schools for the further education and culture of the boys and girls of the black race.

conduct a worldwide commercial and industrial intercourse.

Garvey’s doctrine centered on the ideas of uniting the black race, educating all blacks and creating a strong economy that blacks could count on . The focus was on self-help.

Garvey's view was that : "As the Jew is held together by his religion, the white races by the assumption and the unwritten law of superiority, and the Mongolian by the precious tie of blood, so likewise the Negro must be united in one grand racial hierarchy."

Black self love and self reliance - this is the key to black emancipation, anything short of that will ensure that we remain the white man's slave.

https://www.msu.edu/user/h/a/harri283/web/112/sarahp.htm

1 Like

Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by Fulaman198(m): 10:00pm On Mar 02, 2015
cap28:

I agree. As you can see white people still see black people as N.......... even with a Harvard education. Infact many believe that the black people who were accepted to study at Harvard did not get in on merit. It would have been interesting to see what they made of the young Nigerian genius Saheela.

Until blacks all over the world understand that only they hold the key to their advancement as a race we will continue to see blacks begging to be accepted by whites like those young black students on that video, the Honourable Marcus Mosiah Garvey got it right when he advocated that black people all over the world must:

Black self love and self reliance - this is the key to black emancipation, anything short of that will ensure that we remain the white man's slave.

https://www.msu.edu/user/h/a/harri283/web/112/sarahp.htm

Well said, I agree 100% wholeheartedly
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by cap28: 1:17am On Mar 03, 2015
Another brilliant family of Nigerian children who passed advanced level maths at the tender age of 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADNNQfcvqjo
Re: Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. by ArcToyin(m): 11:19pm On Mar 03, 2015
Adehwale:
Nigerian genius, Saheela Ibraheem, 19, made history On Thursday, February, 26, when she was honoured with an official reception in the White House by the US President, Barack Obama and the First Lady, Michelle.

Saheela Ibraheem got into the Ivy League Harvard at the age of 15, where she is currently studying neurobiology — a branch of science that studies the brain — and has been listed among the “World’s 50 Smartest Teenagers.” She was also accepted for admission by 13 other top colleges in the United States, including the MIT, Princeton, Columbia, and six Ivy League institutions, choosing Harvard, she became one of the youngest students to ever attend the university. She will be graduating in May this year.

Speaking after an introductory speech by Ibraheem at the White House, President Obama stated that “there are a lot of teenagers in the world. Saheela is like one of the 50 smartest ones. That’s pretty smart. And she’s a wonderful young lady. She’s like the State Department and the National Institute of Health all rolled into one. And we are so proud of your accomplishments and all that lies ahead of you. And you reflect our history. Young people like you inspire our future.”

Ibraheem, who skipped two grades in school, said the key to success is figuring out what you love to learn as early as possible, which she did at the young age of five.

“If you are passionate about what you do, and I am passionate about most of these things, especially with math and science, it will work out well,” she told CBS 2s Cindy Hsu. In addition, Ibraheem speaks four languages that include Arabic, Spanish and Latin.

Her mother, Shakirat Ibraheem, said her daughter has been way ahead of the academic game since kindergarten — never cutting corners and trying to do everything on her own. “She’s like always independent,” she said. “I never get to help with her homework because she’d say ‘it’s my work mommy, not yours.’”

Ibraheem’s recognition and reception was part of the “Black History Month” celebration in the US, which comes up in February. The “Black History Month”, takes root from the activities of the “Association for the Study of African American Life and History.” Every year, Americans set aside the month of February to celebrate the central role that African-Americans have played in every aspect of American life especially the march for freedom and equality, jobs and justice, the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and some profound contributions African-Americans make in the American culture.

Present at the evening event were members of the US Congress, including Leader Nancy Pelosi, and members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

http://leadership.ng/news/414630/obama-recognises-commends-19-year-old-nigerian-harvard-finalist
greater heights

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ugwo Anacletus Of FUTO Wins N228Million In Entreprenuerial Challenge / Pictures That Show That Cheating In Exams Is On A Whole Other Level. / FGC Ijanikin, Lagos Students Lodge Colleagues In Hotels For Sex Romps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.