Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,140 members, 7,780,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:15 AM

Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (43955 Views)

Top 3 Nigerian Banks Where Staff Do Not Work In Fear / Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by lorbah001(m): 1:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
.....And some would be screaming GEJ till eternity
U guys left me with a single conclusion i.e. YOU BENEFIT straight frm this govt

#still undeCided

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by brownlord: 1:01pm On Mar 01, 2015
Google63:

[s]As the Nigerian economy continues to suffer due to the fall in the value of Naira, there are rumors of mass retrenchment in many different sectors, but most notably in the banking sector. Our news site recently curated a news; Nigerian Banks to Begin Massive Sacking of Workers. This is a cause of concern for many families whose source of livelihood are attached to bankers. Though this development may be inescapable, its effect can be mitigated.

Nigerian bankers are pretty well trained once they get the job and are exposed to many key business skills that they can utilize in all areas of the economy. Therefore the average banker need not be overwhelmed with the anxiety of a possible sack, rather it should be seen as an opportunity for career transition.

Here are our suggestions on what you should do to prepare yourself if you find yourself on the wrong end of the axle.

1. Prepare your CV

It’s time to dust your credentials and update your CV. Include the most recent experience and outstanding results you’ve recorded on the banking job. Make sure the CV is in line with current day CV writing techniques and when writing your CV, avoid the things that make most CVs end up in the dustbin.

2. Identify your cross over skills

Identify the skills you can easily apply in other areas. Your banking job must have improved your sales and marketing skills, as well as administrative skills. Include them in your CV and find opportunities where those skills are needed. Many companies need highly experienced administrative and sales officers. Your banking job has already made you a candidate of preference for such jobs.

3. Take all career development courses on offer

It’s time to improve your skills. You may need extra certification for a smooth career transition and most importantly to also get updated about recent developments in areas of prospect. By doing this, you will be putting yourself ahead of several others who may also find themselves in your shoes.

4. Treat your customers really well as they will be part of your network

One of the benefits banking job offers is the opportunity it presents for you to meet new people and network. The bank is a place you can really meet business owners and other prospective employers. If you know how to network well, then you can use it to your best advantage in this era of sack.

The social media is also a place you can harness for job networking. Jobs come easily these days through the social media. You may need to find out how you can use the social media to find your next career move.

5. Save some money

Begin to reduce your personal expenses and save more for the rainy day. This would help to withstand the shock of a possible sack as you’ll still have some cash to spend for some couple of weeks before you get another offer. If you have a substantial amount of money saved, you may consider starting your own business[/s].

Defraud the bank and travel to Saudi Arabia or Turkey

9 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by vicoloni(m): 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
Rich dad advises you to start a small scale business. Poor dad says you should dust your CV for another paid job. Be wise.

7 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by mmsen: 1:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
prelinctus:
Op, this is not a very good advice. Considering the current economic downturn and massive unemployment, you still want peple to be thinking about job hunting? You shuld be talking of how to enter into business. Let one's destiny lie in one's hands, and not in the hands of some employer.

This is always the best advice, especially if you plan on having children.

Having your own business will enable you to be flexible and will provide you with something to pass onto the next generation. Jobs cannot be passed down from parent to child, businesses can.

5 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by maestroz: 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Bankers prepare ahead for TRANSFORMATION. afterall our economy is the best in africa.

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
I begin to wonder how some banks will be able to meet up on attending to customers. Even with 2 - 3 cashers, it is still very strenuous staying on a very long queue, how much more with only one casher. It shall be well by God' grace.

#TeamNeverAgain. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. Works in all devices (Andriod/iPhone, Phone or Modem). 24/7 services available. Also Convert Airtime to Cash (20% Processing Fee). Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by 2n2k(m): 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Why all the noise about banks and bankers. When the economic downturn really reach the floor,

will the civil servants be paid with stones? Won't there be lay-off?
Or if companies cannot import enough raw materials, will they still keep staff at full strength?
Or if government that is major source of construction cannot pay, what happen to construction companies and workers?
Or if workers are not paid for months on end, will traders not feel the impact negatively?

At least bankers own better, when the economy was booming, they enjoyed. How many civil servants really enjoyed the boom? Ask Benue and Osun states workers.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
vicoloni:
Rich dad advises you to start a small scale business. Poor dad says you should dust your CV for another paid job. Be wise.
There must be someone to run the banks and manage ur money too.

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Toks2008(m): 1:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
Its time to get financially empowered and generate good capital to start great businesses.

All you need is just about seven months and you would have earned substantial income from this awesome global financial empowerment program

Click on my signature for more details.

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Viktor1983(m): 1:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
NeilOssai:
No 6. Get a "FAT" loan from the bank. They wont sack u. grin

Badt Guy

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Godfullsam(m): 1:14pm On Mar 01, 2015
6. Pray HARD!
There is nothing prayers cannot do.

3 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by overlord77: 1:14pm On Mar 01, 2015
sholay2011:

Lol...that's clever.

Very clever I must add. Boy! Am I glad I left banking, I have known peace ever since.

4 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by MissOpe(f): 1:14pm On Mar 01, 2015
Dear forumites, happy new month...PLEASE kindly help me win a competition on f.b by
simply clicking the like button..Below is the link to the post.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?
story_fbid=1615311108701321&id=1603852676513831&_rdr#
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by zingywingy: 1:15pm On Mar 01, 2015
Then u must vote Jonathan again...its a curse on you to suffer

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by femmycares(m): 1:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
GEJ is working! grin

2 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by mytime24(f): 1:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
NeilOssai:
bad guy grin
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by tobbysmart(m): 1:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
Hmmmmm bad tym for the rambo bankers.
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by tobbysmart(m): 1:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
Hmmmmm bad tym for the rambo bankers. ;

2 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Godsfavour001(m): 1:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
sosanova:
Five things to do
1) Go to the mountain and stay there a weekend
2) Fast n Pray without food n water for 100 days
3) keep praying this prayer point everyday that "every person planing my sack fall down and die"
4)Go to the bar beach, swimming to about 2000 metres and take a spiritual bath
5) Come back and thank me later with all your 3 months salary as a thanksgiving offering or if u don't come back to thank me with a offering na double trouble u dey invite be dat oh
grin grin grin grin grin grin
u aint funny

5 Likes

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by MrFairplay4ume(m): 1:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
I remembered the Lamido "Tsunami" in 2009 it pathetic a lady just bought a car on loan just some months before the mass sack.
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by afanide: 1:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
yomalex:
dust CV again? You better reduce your expenses and start a small side business.

MOST VALUABLE ADVISE SO FAR.

THIS IS ALSO A LESSON FOR THOSE THAT THINK THEIR JOBS ARE SECURED/PERMANENT WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT OTHER SOURCES TO GENERATE INCOME.

THE BEST BUSINESS THAT FITS INTO THAT CATEGORY IS 'IMPORTATION BUSINESS'.

SOME BANKERS EARN 70-100K PER MONTH WITH ALL THE HELL/STRESS THEY GO THROUGH.

I DO IMPORTATION BUSINESS (in small scale though) AND I CAN BOAST OF BETWEEN 300- 400K EVERY MONTH (interest alone).

THE CHALLENGING PART OF 'IMPORTATION BUSINESS' IS HOW TO SELL YOUR IMPORTED ITEMS. MOST PEOPLE IMPORT THEIR ITEMS, AND DONT KNOW HOW/WHERE TO ADVERTISE THEIR PRODUCTS ONLINE TO COMMAND IMMEDIATE SALES ONLINE/OFFLINE.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, MOST PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THE BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY HARDLY MAKE SALES.

I SALE MY IMPORTED ITEMS ON KONGA.COM AND THAT IS WHERE 90% OF MY TOTAL SALE GENERATES FROM MONTHLY.

KONGA.COM IS AN E-COMMERCE WEBSITE IN NIGERIA THAT SALES ALL KIND OF PRODUCTS ONLINE AND HAS OVER 3MILLION 'DAILY' VISITORS WHO GO TO SOURCE/PURCHASE WHATEVER THEY NEED.

YOU CAN IMAGINE LISTING YOUR ITEM ON KONGA.COM FOR BUYERS TO SEE IT AND PATRONISE YOU.

MOST TIMES, I RUN OUT OF ORDERS FROM MY CUSTOMERS. THE DEMAND IT VERY HIGH.

MY GOODS DONT LAST FOR A WEEK ON KONGA.COM. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS JUST TO UPLOAD THE ITEM/PRODUCT YOU WANT TO SALE WITH PHOTOS AND PRICE, THEN GO TO SLEEP AND WATCH BUYERS KILL YOUR PHONE BATTERY WITH PURCHASE.

PEOPLE THAT IMPORT LARGELY ARE MAKING MILLIONS MOTHLY BY SELLING THEIR ITEMS ON KONGA.COM.

THERE ARE ALOT OF BUYERS ALREADY WAITING FOR YOU TO LIST YOUR ITEM FOR THEM TO BUY. THERE IS NO SELLER ON KONGA.COM THAT WILL TELL YOU HE DOESNT RUN OF GOODS. THE DEMAND IS VERY VERY HIGH AND I AM SURPRISE MY FELLOW IMPORTERS ARE NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THIS PLATFORM.

I ALSO SALE ON KAYMU, OLX, NAIRALAND FACEBOOK, ETC. AND I WILL SOON JOIN JUMIA.

WHY WOULD I WANT TO WORK IN A BANK/OIL COMPANY? FOR HOW MUCH?

THERE IS NOTHING AS GOOD AS SELF RELIANCE.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE WORKING BUT NEEDS EXTRAL SOURCE OF INCOME, THOSE THAT WANT TO BACK UP THEIR JOBS WITH BUSINESSESS, THOSE THAT ARE TIRED OF THEIR PRESENT JOBS AND WANT TO LEAVE, THOSE THAT ARE ABOUT TO RESIGN, THOSE THAT HAVE RESIGNED ALREADY, HOUSEWIVES, GRADUATES, THOSE WITHOUT JOBS, EVEN STUDENTS/NYSC CORPERS, I WANT TO ASSURE YOU THAT, THERE IS NO HIGH PAYING JOB IN NIGERIA THAT IS AS REWARDING AS IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

IT IS THE BEST BUSINESS/INVESTMENT ANYONE CAN DO WITH EASE.

ALL YOU NEED TO START IS JUST A CAPITAL OF 20K, AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

IF YOU ARE READY AND EAGER TO START IMPORTATION BUSINESS, DONT BOTHER ABOUT HOW TO START THIS BUSINESS, WHERE TO BUY GOOD AND QUALITY ITEMS ONLINE, HOW TO SHIP THEM TO NIGERIA, HOW TO SALE YOUR IMPORTED GOODS WITHING FEW DAYS, etc. I HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY DETAILS/REQUIREMENTS YOU NEED TO START UP YOUR OWN IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

Click on the link below 2015 BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY FOR EVERYONE to get more details cos i cant post it here i have to obey Nairalan Rules.

IF YOU RESIDE IN PORT-HARCOURT, YOU CAN CALL ME SO WE MEET ONE-ON-ONE FOR BETTER EXPLANATION AND GUIDE.

Please Endeavour to visit the link before calling.

Email:afanide.nathaniel@gmail.com

GOODLUCK!!!

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by ademiD(f): 1:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
UBA and First bank sokoto dey recruit na.....

1 Like

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by 100Cents: 1:19pm On Mar 01, 2015
Last but not list.

Call Banky W or D' bank. They can help you any day.
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by akpumping7720(m): 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2015
The Best and Surest way is to invest ur savings in a small scale business.....
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Adesiji77: 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2015
XtraSmooth404:
...and some banks have been holding series of interviews since last month...
Issorai

In fact, one is conducting interviews today for experienced hires.
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 01, 2015
Probably it is high time, they leave their comfort zone and soar like an eagle.....

Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by queensmith: 1:27pm On Mar 01, 2015
If mass redundancies are planned the private sector should do it now and let people know the true outcome of the current government
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:27pm On Mar 01, 2015
The best option is to.start out in agribusiness not looking for jobs.
You can never get it wrong in agribusiness.

Check my articles on the agriculture section to check.out loads of.opportunities for.you.

you will.be glad you did
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by PassingShot(m): 1:33pm On Mar 01, 2015
NeilOssai:

But they wont give you loan if they know you're marked down for retrenchment. grin grin
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by Idiataqueen(f): 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
Dis country is in big shittttt!
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by dmjinc(m): 1:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
Am interested...but not buying e-books shit angry

afanide:

MOST VALUABLE ADVISE SO FAR.

THIS IS ALSO A LESSON FOR THOSE THAT THINK THEIR JOBS ARE SECURED/PERMANENT WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT OTHER SOURCES TO GENERATE INCOME.

THE BEST BUSINESS THAT FITS INTO THAT CATEGORY IS 'IMPORTATION BUSINESS'.

SOME BANKERS EARN 70-100K PER MONTH WITH ALL THE HELL/STRESS THEY GO THROUGH.

I DO IMPORTATION BUSINESS (in small scale though) AND I CAN BOAST OF BETWEEN 300- 400K EVERY MONTH (interest alone).

THE CHALLENGING PART OF 'IMPORTATION BUSINESS' IS HOW TO SELL YOUR IMPORTED ITEMS. MOST PEOPLE IMPORT THEIR ITEMS, AND DONT KNOW HOW/WHERE TO ADVERTISE THEIR PRODUCTS ONLINE TO COMMAND IMMEDIATE SALES ONLINE/OFFLINE.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, MOST PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THE BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY HARDLY MAKE SALES.

I SALE MY IMPORTED ITEMS ON KONGA.COM AND THAT IS WHERE 90% OF MY TOTAL SALE GENERATES FROM MONTHLY.

KONGA.COM IS AN E-COMMERCE WEBSITE IN NIGERIA THAT SALES ALL KIND OF PRODUCTS ONLINE AND HAS OVER 3MILLION 'DAILY' VISITORS WHO GO TO SOURCE/PURCHASE WHATEVER THEY NEED.

YOU CAN IMAGINE LISTING YOUR ITEM ON KONGA.COM FOR BUYERS TO SEE IT AND PATRONISE YOU.

MOST TIMES, I RUN OUT OF ORDERS FROM MY CUSTOMERS. THE DEMAND IT VERY HIGH.

MY GOODS DONT LAST FOR A WEEK ON KONGA.COM. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS JUST TO UPLOAD THE ITEM/PRODUCT YOU WANT TO SALE WITH PHOTOS AND PRICE, THEN GO TO SLEEP AND WATCH BUYERS KILL YOUR PHONE BATTERY WITH PURCHASE.

PEOPLE THAT IMPORT LARGELY ARE MAKING MILLIONS MOTHLY BY SELLING THEIR ITEMS ON KONGA.COM.

THERE ARE ALOT OF BUYERS ALREADY WAITING FOR YOU TO LIST YOUR ITEM FOR THEM TO BUY. THERE IS NO SELLER ON KONGA.COM THAT WILL TELL YOU HE DOESNT RUN OF GOODS. THE DEMAND IS VERY VERY HIGH AND I AM SURPRISE MY FELLOW IMPORTERS ARE NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THIS PLATFORM.

I ALSO SALE ON KAYMU, OLX, NAIRALAND FACEBOOK, ETC. AND I WILL SOON JOIN JUMIA.

WHY WOULD I WANT TO WORK IN A BANK/OIL COMPANY? FOR HOW MUCH?

THERE IS NOTHING AS GOOD AS SELF RELIANCE.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE WORKING BUT NEEDS EXTRAL SOURCE OF INCOME, THOSE THAT WANT TO BACK UP THEIR JOBS WITH BUSINESSESS, THOSE THAT ARE TIRED OF THEIR PRESENT JOBS AND WANT TO LEAVE, THOSE THAT ARE ABOUT TO RESIGN, THOSE THAT HAVE RESIGNED ALREADY, HOUSEWIVES, GRADUATES, THOSE WITHOUT JOBS, EVEN STUDENTS/NYSC CORPERS, I WANT TO ASSURE YOU THAT, THERE IS NO HIGH PAYING JOB IN NIGERIA THAT IS AS REWARDING AS IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

IT IS THE BEST BUSINESS/INVESTMENT ANYONE CAN DO WITH EASE.

ALL YOU NEED TO START IS JUST A CAPITAL OF 20K, AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

IF YOU ARE READY AND EAGER TO START IMPORTATION BUSINESS, DONT BOTHER ABOUT HOW TO START THIS BUSINESS, WHERE TO BUY GOOD AND QUALITY ITEMS ONLINE, HOW TO SHIP THEM TO NIGERIA, HOW TO SALE YOUR IMPORTED GOODS WITHING FEW DAYS, etc. I HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY DETAILS/REQUIREMENTS YOU NEED TO START UP YOUR OWN IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

Click on the link below 2015 BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY FOR EVERYONE to get more details cos i cant post it here i have to obey Nairalan Rules.

IF YOU RESIDE IN PORT-HARCOURT, YOU CAN CALL ME SO WE MEET ONE-ON-ONE FOR BETTER EXPLANATION AND GUIDE.

Please Endeavour to visit the link before calling.

Email:afanide.nathaniel@gmail.com

GOODLUCK!!!
Re: Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank by holums(m): 1:40pm On Mar 01, 2015
If U ar working in the bank think of doing a small scale business with ur little savings from ur salary so dat u will av income in two places............banking job is not permanent it is unpredictable!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chicken Republic Female Security Officer Dances On Duty / Female Nigerian-Born US Soldier Teaches Other Female Soldiers Nigerian Dance / ICAN 2013 May Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.