Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,791 members, 7,802,503 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? (18134 Views)

Why Do You Love God? / Can I Believe God But Not Jesus And Still Make Heaven? / As A Christian, How Do You Love God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Weah96: 2:52pm On Mar 04, 2015
The easiest way to get away with crime among black people is to attach a REV or APOSTLE or PASTOR in front of your father's name. Then it's free hunting season. People will even have the courage to give you their money to keep for them, without even asking for a receipt. Hahaha.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 2:54pm On Mar 04, 2015
Weah96:

Chai!! (Puts both hands on top of head). There is absolutely zero hope for Africans. You just pick a book and begin to conclude that you now know what happens after death. The same book that has ALREADY LIED finish. What is the point of having a brain if you're not going to use it?

undecided
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 2:56pm On Mar 04, 2015
Weah96:
The easiest way to get away with crime among black people is to attach a REV or APOSTLE or PASTOR in front of your father's name. Then it's free hunting season. People will even have the courage to give you their money to keep for them, without even asking for a receipt. Hahaha.

Then the person is foolish
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Tallesty1(m): 3:08pm On Mar 04, 2015
bukatyne:

There is hell and sinners will be there forever...

Revelations 20:10-15

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Judgment of the Dead

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.

14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Hian......

I am not ready for that debate but I can give you few places to read in the bible.

First, I want you to know that the popular concept of hell is a mixture of small bits of Bible truth combined with pagan ideas and human imagination.

That said, God is a God of love who does not want any to perish (2 Peter:3:9). He tells us to love our enemies (Matthew:5:44). "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust alike"

In John 12:32 christ said And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Both the sinners and saints.

In Matt. 21:31 Jesus says: "Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you"

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with me in paradise.

I am not ready elaborate now maybe some other but we were told that "Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away" (Revelation:21:1).

The first heaven and earth passed away with both hell and wickedness.

Peter explained it a bit. "the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will beburned up"(2 Peter:3:10). The implication is that the surface of the earth will become a molten mass, obliterating any evidence of human wickedness.

What is this second death that revelation is talking about
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 3:59pm On Mar 04, 2015
Tallesty1:
Hian......

I am not ready for that debate but I can give you few places to read in the bible.

First, I want you to know that the popular concept of hell is a mixture of small bits of Bible truth combined with pagan ideas and human imagination.

That said, God is a God of love who does not want any to perish (2 Peter:3:9). He tells us to love our enemies (Matthew:5:44). "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust alike"

In John 12:32 christ said And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Both the sinners and saints.

In Matt. 21:31 Jesus says: "Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you"

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with me in paradise.

I am not ready elaborate now maybe some other but we were told that "Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away" (Revelation:21:1).

The first heaven and earth passed away with both hell and wickedness.

Peter explained it a bit. "the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will beburned up"(2 Peter:3:10). The implication is that the surface of the earth will become a molten mass, obliterating any evidence of human wickedness.

What is this second death that revelation is talking about

If you believe Peter, why not John in Revelations?

Even Jesus told stories about hell... E.g. the 3 servants who were given talents; the 10 virgins etc. etc.

If Nobody will go to hell, what is the motivation to live a righteous life?

If everyone is assured of a 1st class in the university, what is the motivation to read?

Modified:

The same God who is loving destroyed the first world by flood, destroyed Sodom & Gomorrhea

Remember... For our. GOD is a consuming fire...

OK let me ask, What is the punishment of sinners

The second death are for people whose name are not found in the book of life.

It is everlasting damnation in hell

It would also help reading a whole chapter or passage to understand a particular verse
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by cococandy(f): 4:24pm On Mar 04, 2015
bukatyne:

Even Jesus told stories about hell... E.g. the 3 servants who were given talents; the 10 virgins etc. etc.

If everyone is assured of a 1st class in the university, what is the motivation to read?

Will give you more robust response later.

@bold, I don't know maybe the motivation is the responsibility naturally bestowed on us as a higher species to ensure that harmony, fairness and continuity is the theme of life from one generation to another?
Does there have to be a motivation borne out of fear for one to live a righteous life?
Promoting good relationship,friendship and justice between humans of all races should be enough motivation. shouldn't it?
Afterall if you really look at the 10commandements, those rules are specifically mostly for the promotion of good relationship between man and his neighbor for our own good.

If that's not enough motivation for anyone to try to live a righteous life, trust me, the promise of a shiny heaven or the fear of a fiery hell won't be enough to get them to live righteously.

We have been raised to be selfish mostly. so it is perfectly ok to see someone say "if I can't go heaven,why do good?"
subconsciously everything we do,we hope to gain something from.
That's not righteousness. That's selfishness.

Most people honestly cannot break a sweat to help another person if there's nothing in it for them. They just can't wrap their heads around such.
So there has to be the promise of heaven for them before they can do good.
Take that away and you will see that most 'godly' people aren't really godly or selfless at all.
They just think they are buying themselves some treasure up somewhere.

If there was no promise of a heaven or the threat of hell somewhere,many humans would be running amok in their own wickedness because the thought of doing good just so that the life of the next person will be easier won't ever cross their minds. To them it would be a waste.

And that honey is true human nature.

Whoever or however the idea came up of a hell and heaven,it was centered on man's inability to do good except there's something personal in it for him.

As for whether there is really a hell and a heaven, everyone to their beliefs jare. Since Christians are even divided on the matter who else will vouch for it?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2015
freecocoa:
1. Yea well, we should then agree that he isn't the God of ALL after all (emphasis on All because that's what's in the bible),he is only kind to people who obey his word and you actually know that the bible is his word, how? What about the people of other religions that don't use the bible? Many of whom practice such religions because that's what they were born into, what becomes of them?

2. I don't see what trinity has to do with it, it's simple and plain English, it's either you are something or you are not.

3. I didn't see where it said "important discussions" or when to select how to reply a f00l.

Actually I understand that the people who wrote the bible seem to be very confused, hence the many contradictions, the funny thing is that, just like you, christians claim there's a deeper meaning than what one sees in the bible, so they give it any meaning suitable to them, studying the bible only further tells me I shouldn't.

Okay this is not the freecocoa I know , I always assumed you were more of the religious type
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
Interesting. We're all on our own journeys..

*Followed.

Succinctly put
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 04, 2015
Weah96:

Chai!! (Puts both hands on top of head). There is absolutely zero hope for Africans. You just pick a book and begin to conclude that you now know what happens after death. The same book that has ALREADY LIED finish. What is the point of having a brain if you're not going to use it?

Go easy on her , she was only trying to set the records straight for one confused fellow up there
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Succinctly put

Idk, I kinda thought it was simple myself smiley

I like your username. One apocalypse.. says who?? They are in fact many. 'New' ones llurking just around the corner everyday.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Idk, I kinda thought it was simple myself smiley

I like your username. One apocalypse.. says who?? They are in fact many. 'New' ones llurking just around the corner everyday.

No not "one apocalypse" but "Neoapocalypse" , I used the moniker apocalypse initially but I deactivated it and when I decided to come back I felt Neoapocalypse would do just fine.
Your username is really cool , wish I could buy it off you.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

And if I do say , you live up to that moniker
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

No not "one apocalypse" but "Neoapocalypse" , I used the moniker apocalypse initially but I deactivated it and when I decided to come back I felt Neoapocalypse would do just fine.
Your username is really cool , wish I could buy it off you.

Ah, I see. No you don't. It's too much of an easy target. When people disagree with you, all they have to do is tell you to stop being such a narcissist (this isn't how narcissism works angry) - you are not enlightened! tongue

I'd so much rather be a 'neoapocalypse' right now. I mean...who dares tell a neoapocalypse, it isn't a neoapocalypse?

Touché, my friend.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

And if do say , you live up to that moniker

That's nice of you to say.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Ah, I see. No you don't. It's too much of an easy target. When people disagree with you, all they have to do is tell you to stop being such a narcissist (this isn't how narcissism works angry) - you are not enlightened! tongue

I'd so much rather be a 'neoapocalypse' right now. I mean...who dares tell a neoapocalypse, it isn't a neoapocalypse?

Touché, my friend.

lol , you add humour to your already "enlightened" personality. Really nice getting to know you.
You have a new follower in me.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by freecocoa(f): 7:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Okay this is not the freecocoa I know , I always assumed you were more of the religious type
It is me my dear, never really been a very religious person.

I did the whole church thing while I was growing up ofcourse, still...
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Elevation(m): 7:47pm On Mar 04, 2015
Seun:
You should be an atheist, not a Christian. That is the final destination, but it requires courage. Do you have courage? wink
anyone that doesn't confess Christ and believe in Him as the only begotten son of God is condemned. John 3:18.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Elevation(m): 7:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
standd:

NO tongue
I love Jesus Christ too much cheesy
I want to know you.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
jaybee3:
I just can't understand the statement that christians (pastors) make about the ONLY way to heaven is by accepting Jesus christ as a personal saviour.

Why would God have us reach almost 8 billion then send about 75% to hell fire. Makes no sense whatsoever
God does not make sense with the senses of men.
Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Elevation(m): 7:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
standd:

NO tongue
I love Jesus Christ too much cheesy
May i know you, please?
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Elevation(m): 8:12pm On Mar 04, 2015
Saved believers should thirst earnestly to be sanctified and Spirit- filled ,that is it. If a human being is genuinely sanctified and filled with the HolySpirit the race to receive the prize in the end will be much more interesting. There's no other life to live except the pure,righteous and holy life no other life the rest is death and carnality.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

lol , you add humour to your already "enlightened" personality. Really nice getting to know you.
You have a new follower in me.

EnlightenedSoul:

That's nice of you to say.

And they live happily ever after smiley

Online I mean. All thanks to me embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by freecocoa(f): 9:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
See bukatyne and Tallesty1 on different pages about hell, yet they both have backings from one bible. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 04, 2015
standd:

And they live happily ever after smiley

Online I mean. All thanks to me embarassed

tongue
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:03am On Mar 05, 2015
freecocoa:
1. Yea well, we should then agree that he isn't the God of ALL after all (emphasis on All because that's what's in the bible),he is only kind to people who obey his word and you actually know that the bible is his word, how? What about the people of other religions that don't use the bible? Many of whom practice such religions because that's what they were born into, what becomes of them?

2. I don't see what trinity has to do with it, it's simple and plain English, it's either you are something or you are not.

3. I didn't see where it said "important discussions" or when to select how to reply a f00l.

Actually I understand that the people who wrote the bible seem to be very confused, hence the many contradictions, the funny thing is that, just like you, christians claim there's a deeper meaning than what one sees in the bible, so they give it any meaning suitable to them, studying the bible only further tells me I shouldn't.

I conclude this argument with this:

Stop fighting the voice of clarity that God has given Ur conscience.

Christianity is complicated in a sense but remember "narrow is the way that leads to eternal life".
work out Ur salvation with fear & trembling.
I know its not easy. but keep trying Ur best. be steadfast in the faith. don't try to understand the standards of God's judgment cos it will confuse U.
Don't question His decisions. Just keep trying to obey Him.
With time, He will grant U understanding.

Don't give up Sis.

Its easy to opt out, but its never easy to come back.

May the good Lord Bless U Amen.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:05am On Mar 05, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Mark 9 : 1

Commune with the Spirit. He will grant U understanding.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Nobody: 2:23am On Mar 05, 2015
freecocoa:
See bukatyne and Tallesty1 on different pages about hell everything, yet they both have backings from one *bible.grin grin grin

Religion is strange that way.

*Insert religious book here.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Tallesty1(m): 6:48am On Mar 05, 2015
freecocoa:
See bukatyne and Tallesty1 on different pages about hell, yet they both have backings from one bible. grin grin grin
Hahahahahaha.... Commot eyes from our matter ooh.

Thing is, my own is always different.

People who read Romeo and Juliet said they were in love.

But for me, Romeo is the siliest guy ever livethgrin.

Bukatyne is reading the bible alone but I am reading the bible and ancient scrollsgringringrincheesy
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by Tallesty1(m): 7:18am On Mar 05, 2015
bukatyne:
I believe them bot but I don't take revelation literally.
bukatyne:
I am not saying that hell do not exist, my point is that it is not eternal.
bukatyne:
If I repent and lead righteous life because I don't want to go to hell then my repentance is not complete. It means I do not have the love of Christ in me rather I am following him because I am scared he will punish me if I don't. Which makes him a tyrant in a way.
bukatyne:
Not everyone is assured of entering heaven the easy way, some will inherit it, some will enter it by other means, maybe by kekenapep or okadagrin, my type will trek itgringringrin
bukatyne:
Will give you more robust response later.
I am waiting.

We will be saying thesame thing if I should take things exactly the way they are in the bible but I don't.

Take this verse forinstance.

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth , today you will be with me in paradise” ( Luke 23:43).

Do you notice where the coma is placed? That was a wrong placement, the verse should read like this.

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth today , you will be with me in paradise” ( Luke 23:43).

You might be wondering how I came to that conclusion?

I will show you.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

If we should follow Luke 23:43 exactly the way it appeared in the bible then it means that the thief would be in the paradise with Jesus the very day they died but here in John 20:17 Jesus was telling Mary that he had not ascended to the Father, meaning that he had not been to the paradise three days after his death.
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 9:54pm On Mar 06, 2015
cococandy:

@bold, I don't know maybe the motivation is the responsibility naturally bestowed on us as a higher species to ensure that harmony, fairness and continuity is the theme of life from one generation to another?
Does there have to be a motivation borne out of fear for one to live a righteous life?
Promoting good relationship,friendship and justice between humans of all races should be enough motivation. shouldn't it?
Afterall if you really look at the 10commandements, those rules are specifically mostly for the promotion of good relationship between man and his neighbor for our own good.

If that's not enough motivation for anyone to try to live a righteous life, trust me, the promise of a shiny heaven or the fear of a fiery hell won't be enough to get them to live righteously.

We have been raised to be selfish mostly. so it is perfectly ok to see someone say "if I can't go heaven,why do good?"
subconsciously everything we do,we hope to gain something from.
That's not righteousness. That's selfishness.

Most people honestly cannot break a sweat to help another person if there's nothing in it for them. They just can't wrap their heads around such.
So there has to be the promise of heaven for them before they can do good.
Take that away and you will see that most 'godly' people aren't really godly or selfless at all.
They just think they are buying themselves some treasure up somewhere.

If there was no promise of a heaven or the threat of hell somewhere,many humans would be running amok in their own wickedness because the thought of doing good just so that the life of the next person will be easier won't ever cross their minds. To them it would be a waste.

And that honey is true human nature.

Whoever or however the idea came up of a hell and heaven,it was centered on man's inability to do good except there's something personal in it for him.

As for whether there is really a hell and a heaven, everyone to their beliefs jare. Since Christians are even divided on the matter who else will vouch for it?

I agree with you that making the world a peaceful place is enough motivation to be fair & just.

However, the reward of Christians is rest in heaven/everlasting life. All our living just on earth and doing Good is to win as many souls as possible and all end in heaven.

Look at it This way: If There is no certificate given after one'. stay in university, wWhat is the motivation of study hard? You might say becoming successful however We have seen scores of people hoe succeeded without university education.

What drove you to study in school even when your proverbial mates were playing?

What made you not bone your exams and party?

Because you wanted to get a wonderful result out of the university,. That result you saw as a ticket to better standard of living .

See heaven as the certificate, earth has the university and life's journey as your study grin

The Bible is clear on heaven and hell

I don't know the one Tallesty is using tongue
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 10:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
freecocoa:

God is the God of all flesh because He is the Creator

He is a father to those who are His children.

The authors of the Bible are not confused. And yes, There is a meaning/life God's Holy Spirit give the Bible.

The issue is that a lot of people never studied their Bibles and rely solely on What they hear or are taught.

Again the Bible was written in different testaments/covenants.

Some portions are stuffs that hhappened to people, Some are commandments and Some are stuffs that will happen in the future
Re: How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? by bukatyne(f): 10:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
freecocoa:

We aren't using the same bible cheesy

The Bible can be used to support almost anythin. With the right tools... a sweet tongue and a 'gullible' audience

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

We Will Defend Ourselves, Churches, Homes Against Boko Haram - Adeboye / What Jesus Taught Kenneth Hagin About Authority / Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.