Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61714 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 19, 2016
Nowenuse:

My brother, sometimes communities may have dual identities and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Go to northern african countries like Morocco & Algeria, many arabized berbers both claim an arab identity and sometimes a berber identity.

Even in southern Nigeria. Rivers state for example, do u know that there are some communities in Rivers state that claim they are ethnically ijaws but linguistically they are igbos?
Most indigenes of Opobo and Bonny LGA in Rivers state speak igbo as their mother's tongue but some of them will tell u that they are ijaws.....even in Ondo state, u now have yorubanized ijaws, some who claim yoruba and some claim ijaw.
Hausa land is not d only example of this, only that hausaland is more pronounced.

Would you say you're hausa?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 19, 2016
Nowenuse:

Hausa is not d only afro asiatic language in Nigeria. Infact that afro asiatic classification is just an extremely wide family of classifications
The influence of arabic on hausa came mostly through the koran and not through evolution of the languages, because such influences are non existent among most chadic speakers of Plateau, Bauchi (which am sure of), unless they copy it from hausa.
Are u telling the world that hausas now call God Allah when speaking hausa because hausa language and arabic are similar languages? LoL

U can imagine hausas that if they want to say 'please', they will say 'Don Allah, don annabi', (because of God, and because of the prophet-Muhammad), just imagine that. Which other african tribe does that? Was that the way their fore fathers said 'pls'? Or are we goin to say that since they (hausas) and arabs are "sister tribes", (LoL, as u want us to believe), then that is the reason for that? Hell no

the concept of such prayer is new to the hausas and not present in their earlier religion. so what do you do with something new of which you dont know the name? you use the name people call it. thats why for instance theres no partocular name for a television in any language. even english sometimes uses latin or greek to formulate knew words. and youre wrong, a lot of hausas still use ubangiji, like in the phrase 'ubangiji ka taimake mu" or other phrases.

See hausas need to hide their faces in shame for substituting an extremely large chunk of their ancestral culture with foreign ones. Just d same way hausas will claim that Babanriga and kaftan were their ancestral cultural attires. LoL
so substituting some words means substituting culture? even yorubas use some hausa words in their language? lol! you my friend dont know what culture is.

And well, the kaftan and baban riga is our ancestral clothing, because the boubou is the dressing of most sahelian ethnicities, but yet the boubou of a hausa man is completely different from someone from mali. the art and everything, so our version of the kaftan is our ancestral wear, if you disagree then whose is it? the indigo dyed turban the sahel came to be known by was manufactured by hausas? so what do you mean by substituting culture?? i'm sorry but you need to hide your face in shame not us, you and everyone else trying to associate with a culture thats not his.

Hausas cannot be westernized because they hav already been arabized (in a way), or better to say islamized.
Islamization and westernization are two parallel lines. So they deserve no credit for succesful rejection of westernization.

As long as the sole official language of Nigeria remains English. Anyone who is not learned in the language can be considered an illiterate, nothing more nothing less. Dont compare us with korea, japan or china. Those countries do not have english as their sole official language!
See this just further explains your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 19, 2016
Nowenuse:

Why wont i know Zarma? Basu ne buzu? Fulani daji?
They r found mostly in Sokoto, kebbi axis in Nigeria although majority of them in Nigeria are settlers, their original home is Niger republic and extreme northern Benin republic.
Not all people are ignorant pls. U may be amazed that i may know the ethnic classifications of Africa and even the world more than u.

Actually zarmawas are not the so called fulanin daji. in fact zarmawas have nothing to do with fulani. what is nigeria, what is niger? can you say the original home of hausas in niger is nigeria? these regions used to be under the same state until the white men decided to carve them up how they pleased. if this is what tests ignorance i'm sorry you failed.

your hausa is very laughable btw, needs work.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:26pm On Jan 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

the concept of such prayer is new to the hausas and no present in their earlier religion. so what do you do with something new of which you dont know the name? you use the name people call it. thats why for instance theres no partocular name for a television in any language. even english sometimes uses latin or greek to formulate knew words. and youre wrong, a lot of hausas still use ubangiji, like in the phrase 'ubangiji ka taimake mu" or other phrases.

so substituting some words means substituting culture? even yorubas use some hausa words in their language? lol! you my friend dont know what culture is.

And well, the kaftan and baban riga is our ancestral clothing, because the boubou is the dressing of most sahelian ethnicities, but yet the boubou of a hausa man is completely different from someone from mali. the art and everything, so our version of the kaftan is our ancestral wear, if you disagree then whose is it? the indigo dyed turban the sahel came to be known by was manufactured by hausas? so what do you mean by substituting culture?? i'm sorry but you need to hide your face in shame not us, you and everyone else trying to associate with a culture thats not his.

Wannan gaskiya ne

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:11pm On Jan 21, 2016
Fulaman198:

You seem to be a pretty intelligent fellow and I understand where you are coming from. You are right there are about 100 - 150 Afro-Asiatic languages between Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad.

Aren't there Nigerians that say Hallelujah? Or stuff like that? What does that have to do with Nigeria? My point is that Hausa culture is still quite different from Arab culture. Remember, there are Christian Arabs as well. Does that make them less Arab?

All these monotheistic religions are from the middle east anyways. Overall, the Hausa are the least westernised. Hausa music has no outside influence where there are Nigerians selling out each day like wannabes singing in either Pidgin or English. Completely showing total disregard for their respective cultures and selling out to the west. What kind of rubbish is that? If your children can't speak their native tongue, how can they be proud to claim Nigerian let alone African.

LoL, christians say 'Hallelujah', but it is not part of the linguistical vocabulary of any tribe in Nigeria unlike the way Allah has automatically become part of the hausa vocabulary.

Even though we r now singing in English or Pidgin, it does not necesarily mean that there r no native language musicians in the south or middlebelt region.

Hausa-fulanis sing islamic musics, they also sing their own cultural music. They also sing secular musics too. Secular music may not be necesarily hip hop or RnB. As long as any music is not Godly/religious and is not purely cultural, then it is secular even though it maybe sung in a native dialect
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

the concept of such prayer is new to the hausas and not present in their earlier religion. so what do you do with something new of which you dont know the name? you use the name people call it. thats why for instance theres no partocular name for a television in any language. even english sometimes uses latin or greek to formulate knew words. and youre wrong, a lot of hausas still use ubangiji, like in the phrase 'ubangiji ka taimake mu" or other phrases.

When u substitute your culture or your language changes because of religious influences. Then u are loosing your culture or your culture is being replaced.

Yes, yorubas borrow words from hausas, and that is cultural diffusion. If hausas borrow words from kanuri language, that is also a part of cultural/language diffusion.

Hausas do not share boundary whatsoever with Arabs. 'Allah' has always been d ancestral name for 'God' in arabic.
Explain to us how the arabs and hausas shared their cultural diffusions and tell us the links, since u are shallow enough to bring yoruba/hausa cultural diffusion analogy into the equation with hausa/arab influences.

Only a fool that will argue the fact that the influences of Arabic on hausa language came through the koran/islam and not cultural diffusion.

Go and search on the original origins of the kaftan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaftan

Yes, kaftan (clothing) as a part of culture can be diffused and shared, but the best way to ascertain the origin of a culture is to check for the earliest groups of people and genuine facts and artifacts to show that they use it.

The mesopitamians had been said to have been wearing kaftans since thousands of years ago. Is hausa identity up to 2 thousand years? (to start with)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Actually zarmawas are not the so called fulanin daji. in fact zarmawas have nothing to do with fulani. what is nigeria, what is niger? can you say the original home of hausas in niger is nigeria? these regions used to be under the same state until the white men decided to carve them up how they pleased. if this is what tests ignorance i'm sorry you failed.

your hausa is very laughable btw, needs work.

It is one thing to disprove a statement and it is another thing to prove yours with facts. I tot that u will start bombarding me with facts as soon as u have disproved mine.

To start with, pls list all the villages, local government areas, linguistic territories, local districts and senatorial districts (if any), and emirates which are dominated or owned by Zarmas in Nigeria.
I want to see a list of the local government areas which make up Zarma ancestral homeland and linguistical territories in Nigeria. I want to see their traditional rulers, district heads and so on. Thank u.
If u fail to list all these, then u are only proving your daftness for the world to see.

Hausa ancestral homeland cuts across both Niger and Nigeria and that is not in question. Kanuri homeland cuts across Nigeria, Niger & Chad, and that is not in question.

Yes, my hausa may be laughable, but as long as u can still understand it. There r different hausa dialects and all are not expected to be the same.
Ebonyi state igbo dialect sounds very funny to those in Imo state just as Ondo yoruba dialects sound very funny to Oyo state speakers.

The kind of hausa i speak is what majority of northern/middlebelt nigeria speaks (2nd language hausa speakers). From Niger state down to Adamawa, Borno, Yobe, Gombe, Taraba, Southern kaduna e t.c
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
'I am a hausa man who claims to be proud and retain my ancestral cultures, yet my name is ABDUL-MUTALIB MUSTAPHA SHEHU USMAN, the son of SHEHU USMAN ABDUL AZEEZ AL-HASSAN..... grin grin

There cannot be a better self delusion than this.

U know the funny thing? My own surname is of islamic/arabic origin because my forefathers were fairly oriented with islam before the christian missionaries came.
Some hausa people will tell me that i am answering a hausa name and i ask them one simple question, what does the name mean in your native hausa language, then they become mute.
Hausas have become so brainwashed with religion that some of them will tell u that names like Lawal, Husseini, Rasheeda, Umaru e.t.c are hausa names. grin

One of the greatest ways to show how proud u are of your ancestral culture and how much u have retained your ancestral cultures is through your tribal names.

Imagin my name is EDMOND LIONEL WELLINGTON and i will come out to the world and say that i am a proud Chinese man and am very proud and even brag that my people have retained their cultures the most when we all answer foreign names... grin. Its like a mad man who doesnt know that he is mad.

Hausa-fulanis go and answer your tribal names! You cannot be more islamic or arabized than the arabs! tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 5:18am On Jan 22, 2016
Nowenuse:

It is one thing to disprove a statement and it is another thing to prove yours with facts. I tot that u will start bombarding me with facts as soon as u have disproved mine.

To start with, pls list all the villages, local government areas, linguistic territories, local districts and senatorial districts (if any), and emirates which are dominated or owned by Zarmas in Nigeria.
I want to see a list of the local government areas which make up Zarma ancestral homeland and linguistical territories in Nigeria. I want to see their traditional rulers, district heads and so on. Thank u.
If u fail to list all these, then u are only proving your daftness for the world to see.
LOOOOOOL! So just because the majority of people in a place that means there not indigenous to a place? do you know how many ethnicities there are in Nigeria? Zarmawas have been part of hausaland long before Nigeria was formed, so have touaregs and many other sahelian ethnicities. hausa states have always been a mixture of ethnicities, so just because some guy decides there arent enough of them makes them any less nigerian is pretty stuupid or perhaps daft.

Hausa ancestral homeland cuts across both Niger and Nigeria and that is not in question. Kanuri homeland cuts across Nigeria, Niger & Chad, and that is not in question.
[/quote]

[quote]Yes, my hausa may be laughable, but as long as u can still understand it. There r different hausa dialects and all are not expected to be the same.
Ebonyi state igbo dialect sounds very funny to those in Imo state just as Ondo yoruba dialects sound very funny to Oyo state speakers.

The kind of hausa i speak is what majority of northern/middlebelt nigeria speaks (2nd language hausa speakers). From Niger state down to Adamawa, Borno, Yobe, Gombe, Taraba, Southern kaduna e t.c
lol! i've heard kanuris and fulas speak hausa, it may not be perfect but trust me it doesnt sound like this. in fact if youve been to gombe or any of these states youd know they speak close to flawless hausa. theres kananci, zazzaganci etc and even sakwatanci which to me and most hausas sounds weird isnt this different or nearly laughable. Theres no hausa dialect in the world that properly sounds that way, the kind of hausa you speak with omission though is very common in the middle belt, and yes, we've had some workers from southern kaduna, they do speak this way. no shame in it, its not your language, still laughable though, like i said it needs work. so which dialect are you speaking?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 5:25am On Jan 22, 2016
Nowenuse:

When u substitute your culture or your language changes because of religious influences. Then u are loosing your culture or your culture is being replaced.

Yes, yorubas borrow words from hausas, and that is cultural diffusion. If hausas borrow words from kanuri language, that is also a part of cultural/language diffusion.

Hausas do not share boundary whatsoever with Arabs. 'Allah' has always been d ancestral name for 'God' in arabic.
Explain to us how the arabs and hausas shared their cultural diffusions and tell us the links, since u are shallow enough to bring yoruba/hausa cultural diffusion analogy into the equation with hausa/arab influences.

Only a fool that will argue the fact that the influences of Arabic on hausa language came through the koran/islam and not cultural diffusion.
lol! the fact that youve resorted to throwing insults means you have nothing to offer. did i not mention religion? did i not give an example with the word you mentioned for prayer which i told you was a new concept due to religion? Islam has had influence in hausa language, so have some arabs, like Al Maghili who contributed to building the Hausa systems in kano and katsina in the 15th century. there have been history of arabs in hausa land, does that not leave room if not for cultural but atleast language assimilation? why do you think hausa is so organized?

Go and search on the original origins of the kaftan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaftan

Yes, kaftan (clothing) as a part of culture can be diffused and shared, but the best way to ascertain the origin of a culture is to check for the earliest groups of people and genuine facts and artifacts to show that they use it.

The mesopitamians had been said to have been wearing kaftans since thousands of years ago. Is hausa identity up to 2 thousand years? (to start with)
LOOOL! see i dont want to blatantly insult you but sometimes you make it easy for me. the kaftan is a long robe, do you think its that hard to come up with? dont get me wrong, im not denying inspiration but the hausa kaftan is unique, go all over the world and show me a kaftan that resembles that of the hausa. pakistanis wear kaftan too, is it anything like that of hausa kaftan? when i hinted at signs of ignorance i didnt expect you to be this ignorant.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 22, 2016
Nowenuse:
'I am a hausa man who claims to be proud and retain my ancestral cultures, yet my name is ABDUL-MUTALIB MUSTAPHA SHEHU USMAN, the son of SHEHU USMAN ABDUL AZEEZ AL-HASSAN..... grin grin

There cannot be a better self delusion than this.

U know the funny thing? My own surname is of islamic/arabic origin because my forefathers were fairly oriented with islam before the christian missionaries came.
Some hausa people will tell me that i am answering a hausa name and i ask them one simple question, what does the name mean in your native hausa language, then they become mute.
Hausas have become so brainwashed with religion that some of them will tell u that names like Lawal, Husseini, Rasheeda, Umaru e.t.c are hausa names. grin

One of the greatest ways to show how proud u are of your ancestral culture and how much u have retained your ancestral cultures is through your tribal names.

Imagin my name is EDMOND LIONEL WELLINGTON and i will come out to the world and say that i am a proud Chinese man and am very proud and even brag that my people have retained their cultures the most when we all answer foreign names... grin. Its like a mad man who doesnt know that he is mad.

Hausa-fulanis go and answer your tribal names! You cannot be more islamic or arabized than the arabs! tongue tongue

This is quite funny. we all know why your ancestors are acquainted with those names and it has nothing to do with religion.

and i noticed you middlebeltans love to bear hausa name even more than we hausas, names from godiya to names as daft as 'wahala'. although these names werent your fault, there was nothing you could do about them.

some hausas and fulas still very much bear their names albeit a minority they exist. also, hausas usually use their locality as their surname, thats just to show you they are proud of where they came from. i also have a hausa name, i may not use it oficially but i do. theres no shame in bearing arabic names to me though, they are just names and i'm proud to be a muslim.

PS why dont you go after brits or americans that bear christian names? whats your obesssion with hausa? i sense a bit of inferiority complex mate. stop drinking the haterade.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

LOOOOOOL! So just because the majority of people in a place that means there not indigenous to a place? do you know how many ethnicities there are in Nigeria? Zarmawas have been part of hausaland long before Nigeria was formed, so have touaregs and many other sahelian ethnicities. hausa states have always been a mixture of ethnicities, so just because some guy decides there arent enough of them makes them any less nigerian is pretty stuupid or perhaps daft.

So, going by your definition, we can now conclude that touaregs are now indigenes of Nigeria too? LoL

You dont seem to know the definition of indigenes/aborigines of a place with a well cultural defined identity, so i dont think i should argue this with you any further.
Go to Niger republic, around the Niamey area, u find real zarma villages, zarma kings and district heads, well defined zarma cultural territory, zarma towns, cultural sites e.t.c

I have discovered that most hausa fulanis dont understand what it means to be an indigene of a place, that is why a hausa man whom his father or grandfather came to settle in Jos seling gworo will tell u that he is an indigene of Jos. A hausa man will tell u dat he is an indigene of Benue, Southern kaduna e.t.c.
Pure daylight madness.

Every ethnicity in Nigeria has a well defined cultural territory and boundaries.
Maybe u are mistaking the definition of indigeneship and citizenship.
That was the way hausa-fulanis were running their mouths all over Jos claiming that they are indigenes of Jos, until it was settled in the supreme court and the hausas were told plain blank that they can only qualify for CITIZENS of Jos but never as INDIGENES of Jos.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

lol! the fact that youve resorted to throwing insults means you have nothing to offer. did i not mention religion? did i not give an example with the word you mentioned for prayer which i told you was a new concept due to religion? Islam has had influence in hausa language, so have some arabs, like Al Maghili who contributed to building the Hausa systems in kano and katsina in the 15th century. there have been history of arabs in hausa land, does that not leave room if not for cultural but atleast language assimilation? why do you think hausa is so organized?

t.

Well, if u should know, u started using the insutive words first by caling me ignorant, but i never directly called u any names or threw insults directly at your personality.
I guess we can see who started it.

Hausa land was organized and structured mostly due to fulani religious conquest and unification and not any arab migrants. So u people need to thank your fulbe masters for that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

LOOOL! see i dont want to blatantly insult you but sometimes you make it easy for me. the kaftan is a long robe, do you think its that hard to come up with? dont get me wrong, im not denying inspiration but the hausa kaftan is unique, go all over the world and show me a kaftan that resembles that of the hausa. pakistanis wear kaftan too, is it anything like that of hausa kaftan? when i hinted at signs of ignorance i didnt expect you to be this ignorant.

See, lets not deceive ourselves here because the whole world is connected to this site through the very best search engines.
What is the indigenous hausa name for kaftan, or the hausa variety of kaftan, since u say the hausas developed their own kinds of kaftans.
The name kaftan is not an indigenous hausa name. Only borrowed elements usually come with foreign names. So pls tell us
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

This is quite funny. we all know why your ancestors are acquainted with those names and it has nothing to do with religion.

and i noticed you middlebeltans love to bear hausa name even more than we hausas, names from godiya to names as daft as 'wahala'. although these names werent your fault, there was nothing you could do about them.

Well, different parts of the middlebelt had different influences from the core-north. I speak for my own place Jos-Plateau, our ancestors were never conquered by hausa fulanis or any bloody jihadists and it is on record and even our oral traditions too, how many of our tribes succesfully defeated Danfodio and his men.

I know my culture very well and the origin of my people. Bauchi tribes and Plateau tribes in the past used to be very very close. We had similar cultures, origin and lifestyle, and we traded together but along the line, most Bauchi tribes accepted islam, some bauchi tribes were conquered by fulanis and islamized while other bauchi tribes were the ones who islamized themselves, like the Bauchi emirate ruled by Gerawa tribe. The founder of Bauchi emirate was said to be a gerawa man who became one of Danfodio's men and he took islamic religion and conquest back to his home in Bauchi.
Our people (plateau tribes) due to closeness and brotherliness with Bauchi people started copying these bauchi tribes in some things and this was how foreign names and a fair knowledge of islam started coming in before the missionaries later came.

Secondly also, the promotion of the use of hausa bible for middlebelt christian tribes by the colonial masters was also another area that promoted the use of the hausa bible names and also promoted hausa speaking among our people who started becoming christians.
Otherwise, the Bible was first translated into Angas language in the north, before it was rejected and d hausa bible promoted.

The colonial masters were always interested in the unification of the north and oneness of their pretocterates.

As for southern Kaduna people, i think they answer hausa names more than any group of middlebelters and the reason for this is not far fetched because they were ruled by Zaria emirate for a longtime, not that they were conquered by hausa-fulanis, but they were victims of the british indirect rule and oneness of the northern region. That is why its only in southern kaduna u mostly find names like Maigoro, Danzaria, Yakowa (pure hausa names) as their surnames. U hardly find such names among Plateau, Nasarawa people.
Even in the southern kaduna, there are some tribes whom the british could not classify under zaria rule. Tribes like Jaba, Kagoro e.t.c, because the british people noted that whenever they sent hausa district heads from Zaria to Jaba, the natives instantly killed them. So the british were forced to allow Jaba people independent of zaria rule.

So my brother, dont just sit down in Katsina or Jigawa state and conclude that u know anything about middlebelt/northern minority groups or conclude that u know the way hausa names or hausa language spread through the region, because u don't. Only historians like us from the region know it. Wannan ba magana mallam yace ba.

Kogi & Benue tribes, non of them were conquered by jihad, infact so many jihadists were buried in igala land and there is a place named after it, but yet about half of igalas are muslims today and they only copied islam later on from Nupe and hausa traders. That is why u can hardly see then answer native hausa names. Infact some of them answered igbo names because some of them were classified under Onitsha province during the colonial period.

Middlebelt people are not one tribe. So never u think u can generalize on any event pertaining to the region.

So when i tell u that my surname came through fair contact of islam from Bauchi by my forefathers, i know what am telling u. It is not a hausa name but an islamic name (not related to hausa bible) because by this time, christianity has not reached Plateau.

My mother's name is Hannatu, and this one came through hausa bible.

But like me now, i only have a Bible name and my native name which i proudly answer and dont hide like u do. All those islamic origin and hausa names are dying in the middlebelt.
Even the hausa bible names like Yohanna, Bitrus, Bulus, Irmiya (unique to christians) are also dying, because our people are now using english bibles and our own native language bibles increasingly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 12:09am On Jan 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

some hausas and fulas still very much bear their names albeit a minority they exist. also, hausas usually use their locality as their surname, thats just to show you they are proud of where they came from. i also have a hausa name, i may not use it oficially but i do. theres no shame in bearing arabic names to me though, they are just names and i'm proud to be a muslim.

There is every shame in completely loosing your ancestral cultural elements especially one so important as names.

Look at even some middle eastern, South asian and central asian tribes like the Persians, Turkish speaking tribes and Indo-Iranian speaking tribes. These are groups who have received islam hundreds of years before hausas smelt islam, yet u still find many of them retaining and proudly answering their distinct tribal names, even more than the hausas. What a disgrace!
The closest/sister/neighbouring tribes of the arabs are not even trying to be arabized unlike the way the hausas who are millions of kilometres away are trying to be arabized.

A hausa man whose grandfather came to sell Aya (hausa groundut), gworo (kola nut) or Rake (sugarcane) in Jos, will now decide to answer ALHAJI ISMAILA JOS, and u call that being proud of ur origin?? grin grin
Kai, hausa people will never cease to amuse me.
They confuse themselves to the extent that they now answer names of multiple towns.
Alhaji Ismaila Jos will now migrate to Lokoja in Kogi state, his son will now choose to answer ALHAJI ABDURRAHMAN JOS LOKOJA........LoL. you will see HAJIYA HAFSAT GOMBE MAIDUGURI or MALLAM ABUBAKAR SOKOTO KADUNA. grin grin cheesy

I sometimes weep for these people how religious confusion and islamic conquest has destroyed their original identity in life. Its just a pity.

Even the fulanis who conquered the hausas, so many of them still answer their tribal names .i.e the pure fulanis in the north east.
See the likes of Bamanga Tukur, he doesnt even have an islamic name. Murtala Nyako, Aisha Modibbo, Atiku Abubakar. U hardly see Adamawa fulanis without tribal surnames or firstnames

Kai, nothing can be as bad as conquest. I thank God that my own people were never conquered by any idiot o.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 12:25am On Jan 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

PS why dont you go after brits or americans that bear christian names? whats your obesssion with hausa? i sense a bit of inferiority complex mate. stop drinking the haterade.

This is nairaland pls and not americanland or England.
We are Nigerians here and the topic is not related to the western world.

But do u know that even the Americans and Europeans answer their tribal names far more than u hausas do?

How many whites do u see answering something like Peter Joshua Abraham or Elizabeth Moses Isaac? No!

What u mostly hear is James Wellington, Anita Baker, Williams Stonewall, Cynthia Bradford-Bill, George Walker Bush, John McCain, Lindsay Lohan, Bruce Willis. Now tell me how many of these names are Bible/christian names.

It seems like u dont even know the difference between Christian bible names and native western names o.
If my name is Williams or Edward for instance, will u call it a christian/bible name?? Abeg o, dont disgrace yourself here o.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 12:46am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

So, going by your definition, we can now conclude that touaregs are now indigenes of Nigeria too? LoL

You dont seem to know the definition of indigenes/aborigines of a place with a well cultural defined identity, so i dont think i should argue this with you any further.
Go to Niger republic, around the Niamey area, u find real zarma villages, zarma kings and district heads, well defined zarma cultural territory, zarma towns, cultural sites e.t.c
well there are hausa district heads in Sudan, are hausas indigenous to sudan? whos from where? wheres the indigeneous home of zaramas hausas, kanuri? what does and indigenous home mean?

I have discovered that most hausa fulanis dont understand what it means to be an indigene of a place, that is why a hausa man whom his father or grandfather came to settle in Jos seling gworo will tell u that he is an indigene of Jos. A hausa man will tell u dat he is an indigene of Benue, Southern kaduna e.t.c.
Pure daylight madness.
who are these hausas and or fulanis you're living with? i am from ano but i've lived somewhere else all my life, but i've never claimed an citizenship of that state even though i'm legally entitled to it. my father claims the name of his ancestral home, he wants us to start using the same name as well but unfortunately you can only hvae three names but im sure to use it whenever i can, its a hausa name btw. jos kaduna or something like that is stuupid, just roves hes not an indigene of the state, im talking about names like Masari, Dankwambo, Shema etc.

Every ethnicity in Nigeria has a well defined cultural territory and boundaries.
Maybe u are mistaking the definition of indigeneship and citizenship.
That was the way hausa-fulanis were running their mouths all over Jos claiming that they are indigenes of Jos, until it was settled in the supreme court and the hausas were told plain blank that they can only qualify for CITIZENS of Jos but never as INDIGENES of Jos.
even the most yorubanized or igalanized or idomized hausa when you meet him will always try to tell you about his origins, thats because he's proud of who he is, where he comes from, no matter what culture faith dealt him. lesss than i can say for you and your ppeople, evey middlebelter will tell you hes hausa, i always ask the same question. how? from where? when? grin grin grin you start shouting everyone from the north is hausa and this is why youre trying so hard to prove this botched hausa fulani tag, b.itch please.... stick to your own grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

There is every shame in completely loosing your ancestral cultural elements especially one so important as names.

Look at even some middle eastern, South asian and central asian tribes like the Persians, Turkish speaking tribes and Indo-Iranian speaking tribes. These are groups who have received islam hundreds of years before hausas smelt islam, yet u still find many of them retaining and proudly answering their distinct tribal names, even more than the hausas. What a disgrace!
The closest/sister/neighbouring tribes of the arabs are not even trying to be arabized unlike the way the hausas who are millions of kilometres away are trying to be arabized.
lool! youve never been to asia have you? Actually, these asian muslims try harder than everyone to be arabs.

A hausa man whose grandfather came to sell Aya (hausa groundut), gworo (kola nut) or Rake (sugarcane) in Jos, will now decide to answer ALHAJI ISMAILA JOS, and u call that being proud of ur origin?? grin grin
Kai, hausa people will never cease to amuse me.
They confuse themselves to the extent that they now answer names of multiple towns.
Alhaji Ismaila Jos will now migrate to Lokoja in Kogi state, his son will now choose to answer ALHAJI ABDURRAHMAN JOS LOKOJA........LoL. you will see HAJIYA HAFSAT GOMBE MAIDUGURI or MALLAM ABUBAKAR SOKOTO KADUNA. grin grin cheesy
lol! like i said in most cases, traders actually use these names as a means of identification, in most cases a true hausa person knows someone who claims sokoto or jos isnt originally from that state, just the location of his craft. the sahelian mentality is to be blamed. end up where you end up.

I sometimes weep for these people how religious confusion and islamic conquest has destroyed their original identity in life. Its just a pity.
what has islam got to do with this? islamophobic prick.

Even the fulanis who conquered the hausas, so many of them still answer their tribal names .i.e the pure fulanis in the north east.
See the likes of Bamanga Tukur, he doesnt even have an islamic name. Murtala Nyako, Aisha Modibbo, Atiku Abubakar. U hardly see Adamawa fulanis without tribal surnames or firstnames
land what about names like garba, danjuma, tanko, Jatau... look at prominent hausas around you, its either they bear such names or they bear a hausa surname.

Kai, nothing can be as bad as conquest. I thank God that my own people were never conquered by any idiot o.
LOOOOL! i'm sure they were never. not even if youre from the kwararafa.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

Well, if u should know, u started using the insutive words first by caling me ignorant, but i never directly called u any names or threw insults directly at your personality.
I guess we can see who started it.

Hausa land was organized and structured mostly due to fulani religious conquest and unification and not any arab migrants. So u people need to thank your fulbe masters for that.

see now i've confirmed that you are infact ignorant. The hausa administrative system have been in place long before they knew theyd give birth o your oldest known ancestor. i'm talking about greats like Muhammad Rumfa or Ali Yaji Dan Tsamiya, read about them. these are the true organizers of hausaland. but people like you are short cited, only accepting general conceptions or misconceptions. One thing i do thank my fula brothers and Bil Foduye though is uniting the hausa states. incase you didnt know this, hausa states were never united. but whose administrative system do you think is being use today by all emirates and will continue to be used for eternity.

but you wouldnt know anything about organization would you. you sub..... wait, which ethnicity are you again? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

This is nairaland pls and not americanland or England.
We are Nigerians here and the topic is not related to the western world.

But do u know that even the Americans and Europeans answer their tribal names far more than u hausas do?

How many whites do u see answering something like Peter Joshua Abraham or Elizabeth Moses Isaac? No!

What u mostly hear is James Wellington, Anita Baker, Williams Stonewall, Cynthia Bradford-Bill, George Walker Bush, John McCain, Lindsay Lohan, Bruce Willis. Now tell me how many of these names are Bible/christian names.

It seems like u dont even know the difference between Christian bible names and native western names o.
If my name is Williams or Edward for instance, will u call it a christian/bible name?? Abeg o, dont disgrace yourself here o.

what about names like John, Peter, Paul B*tch please.....

its that inferiority complex mate. all you're suffering from.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 1:18am On Jan 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

lol! i've heard kanuris and fulas speak hausa, it may not be perfect but trust me it doesnt sound like this. in fact if youve been to gombe or any of these states youd know they speak close to flawless hausa. theres kananci, zazzaganci etc and even sakwatanci which to me and most hausas sounds weird isnt this different or nearly laughable. Theres no hausa dialect in the world that properly sounds that way, the kind of hausa you speak with omission though is very common in the middle belt, and yes, we've had some workers from southern kaduna, they do speak this way. no shame in it, its not your language, still laughable though, like i said it needs work. so which dialect are you speaking?

I have met interior Adamawa fulanis and Borno Kanuris who cannot even speak hausa. At the same time, there are middlebelt indigenes who speak extremely good hausa. It varies for all second language speakers.
The people u mix with more determines.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

Well, different parts of the middlebelt had different influences from the core-north. I speak for my own place Jos-Plateau, our ancestors were never conquered by hausa fulanis or any bloody jihadists and it is on record and even our oral traditions too, how many of our tribes succesfully defeated Danfodio and his men.
too ashamed to even mention which ethnic group this is? even dan fodio didnt conquer you, im sure Amina did. lol at oral traditions.

I know my culture very well and the origin of my people. Bauchi tribes and Plateau tribes in the past used to be very very close. We had similar cultures, origin and lifestyle, and we traded together but along the line, most Bauchi tribes accepted islam, some bauchi tribes were conquered by fulanis and islamized while other bauchi tribes were the ones who islamized themselves, like the Bauchi emirate ruled by Gerawa tribe. The founder of Bauchi emirate was said to be a gerawa man who became one of Danfodio's men and he took islamic religion and conquest back to his home in Bauchi.
Our people (plateau tribes) due to closeness and brotherliness with Bauchi people started copying these bauchi tribes in some things and this was how foreign names and a fair knowledge of islam started coming in before the missionaries later came.
yeah, islam missionaries grin grin grin oi rude boy shuuut up. i almost choked laughing when i read this.

Secondly also, the promotion of the use of hausa bible for middlebelt christian tribes by the colonial masters was also another area that promoted the use of the hausa bible names and also promoted hausa speaking among our people who started becoming christians.
Otherwise, the Bible was first translated into Angas language in the north, before it was rejected and d hausa bible promoted.
i thought you were never conquered? why hausa? why did you accept hausa names? lol! like i said inferiority complex.

The colonial masters were always interested in the unification of the north and oneness of their pretocterates.
oooh you bliiind fooool! it was never about unification you slowpoke. they had their racist reasons for believing certain ethnicities should be at the helm of affairs. far as i can go without saying too much.

As for southern Kaduna people, i think they answer hausa names more than any group of middlebelters and the reason for this is not far fetched because they were ruled by Zaria emirate for a longtime, not that they were conquered by hausa-fulanis, but they were victims of the british indirect rule and oneness of the northern region. That is why its only in southern kaduna u mostly find names like Maigoro, Danzaria, Yakowa (pure hausa names) as their surnames. U hardly find such names among Plateau, Nasarawa people.
Even in the southern kaduna, there are some tribes whom the british could not classify under zaria rule. Tribes like Jaba, Kagoro e.t.c, because the british people noted that whenever they sent hausa district heads from Zaria to Jaba, the natives instantly killed them. So the british were forced to allow Jaba people independent of zaria rule.
lol! what was southern kaduna? you think we hausas respected those boundaries? wait youre from plateau are you not?

So my brother, dont just sit down in Katsina or Jigawa state and conclude that u know anything about middlebelt/northern minority groups or conclude that u know the way hausa names or hausa language spread through the region, because u don't. Only historians like us from the region know it. Wannan ba magana mallam yace ba.
historian? please dont insult that name. youre one of the most ignorant people i've ever met. i wont claim to know anything about you middlebeltans though. honestly you all sem very similar to me.

Kogi & Benue tribes, non of them were conquered by jihad, infact so many jihadists were buried in igala land and there is a place named after it, but yet about half of igalas are muslims today and they only copied islam later on from Nupe and hausa traders. That is why u can hardly see then answer native hausa names. Infact some of them answered igbo names because some of them were classified under Onitsha province during the colonial period.

Middlebelt people are not one tribe. So never u think u can generalize on any event pertaining to the region.
I'm a bit guilty here.

So when i tell u that my surname came through fair contact of islam from Bauchi by my forefathers, i know what am telling u. It is not a hausa name but an islamic name (not related to hausa bible) because by this time, christianity has not reached Plateau.

My mother's name is Hannatu, and this one came through hausa bible.
why us? how shameful? you hypocrite! you have the audacity to speak when even your own MOTHER uses a hausa derived name? im sure theres a yo mama joke somewhere in here. oh wait here it goes 'y'all momma trying so hard to be hausshe even tried to use a hausa varied name'

you can never be like us, youre not us. its not an insult or a taunt, its fact. jst be proud of who you are.

But like me now, i only have a Bible name and my native name which i proudly answer and dont hide like u do. All those islamic origin and hausa names are dying in the middlebelt.
Even the hausa bible names like Yohanna, Bitrus, Bulus, Irmiya (unique to christians) are also dying, because our people are now using english bibles and our own native language bibles increasingly.
Good for you. Good for you.... i have a birth certificate dumbo, you may not know how that works, but the name i answer at home is different from my official name.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

I have met interior Adamawa fulanis and Borno Kanuris who cannot even speak hausa. At the same time, there are middlebelt indigenes who speak extremely good hausa. It varies for all second language speakers.
The people u mix with more determines.

you still cant speak hausa mate.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:

See, lets not deceive ourselves here because the whole world is connected to this site through the very best search engines.
What is the indigenous hausa name for kaftan, or the hausa variety of kaftan, since u say the hausas developed their own kinds of kaftans.
The name kaftan is not an indigenous hausa name. Only borrowed elements usually come with foreign names. So pls tell us

hausa is a wide language, im sure theres a word for it, the only nigerian language you can get a BSC, MSC and PHD in. but hey, like i said, our kaftan is unique. call it want you want, you wont find it anywhere. i didnt deny inspiration. if someone is credited for fuelling a form of art, doesnt mean whoever delves into that is plagiarizing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nowenuse: 1:27am On Jan 23, 2016
@VomeShakleton...
From the way u are commenting, its either u are high with your daily midnight dosage of Kwaya/codeine or u are extremely pissed off to the extent that u have completely lost every sense of civility So i will give u sometime to cool of ehn ....doooo....kpele.
Anyone viewing this thread will see that i never used a direct insultive word at u until now. So u started, but i'll leave it for u to continue till the codeine or tramadol effect clears off.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 23, 2016
Nowenuse:
@VomeShakleton...
From the way u are commenting, its either u are high with your daily midnight dosage of Kwaya/codeine or u are extremely pissed off to the extent that u have completely lost every sense of civility So i will give u sometime to cool of ehn ....doooo....kpele.
Anyone viewing this thread will see that i never used a direct insultive word at u until now. So u started, but i'll leave it for u to continue till the codeine or tramadol effect clears off.

its morning here mate. making breakfast actually. And kwaya is not same as codeine if thats what youre insinuating. kwaya means tablet.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by businessMODE(m): 9:14am On Mar 05, 2016
The concept Hausa-Fulani is a political term created to emphasize the domination of the northern part of the country ... going by the suggestion that they term is used to refer to Fulani who cant speak Fulfude is a very wrong perception ... if that is the case, the Eggon man who can not speak his native Eggon dialect anymore but speak Hausa fluently can as well be called Hausa-Eggon ... same with the Jukun, Tarok, Gbagyi, Jaba, etc ... i repeat, the Hausa-Fulani term is a political coinage that relates the Hausa man who have no connection with the Emirate to feel equal with the descendants of Usman Dan Foddio
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by businessMODE(m): 9:27am On Mar 05, 2016
The concept Hausa-Fulani is a political term created to emphasize the domination of the northern part of the country ... going by the suggestion that they term is used to refer to Fulani who cant speak Fulfude is a very wrong perception ... if that is the case, the Eggon man who can not speak his native Eggon dialect anymore but speak Hausa fluently can as well be called Hausa-Eggon ... same with the Jukun, Tarok, Gbagyi, Jaba, etc ... i repeat, the Hausa-Fulani term is a political coinage that relates the Hausa man who have no connection with the Emirate to feel equal with the descendants of Usman Dan Foddio
Fulaman198:
First and foremost, what is a Hausa-Fulani? You are either Hausa or you are Fulani.

Secondly, this is a dumb question. It's like asking why don't Igbo and Yoruba Christians marry each other a lot.....

Culture <> religion, religion is only but a subset of culture.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Fulaman198(m): 10:20am On Mar 05, 2016
businessMODE:

That's your opinion, mine is that If you are a Fulani, you should be able to speak Fulfulde.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by IamAtribalist: 7:21pm On Mar 06, 2016
Nowenuse:

No my brother. Hausanized fulanis are still very much different from the pure hausas.

Some hausanized fulanis may still manage to be able to speak a few words in fulfude language, but no matter what Hausa remains their native tongue/first language, unlike most of the pure fulanis in Adamawa/Taraba/Gombe axis.

I may create a thread on that
Meanwhile we also have the YORUBANIZED FULANIS in Ilorin.

cool You mean FULANIZED YORUBAS?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 08, 2016
two animals of different species are not supposed to mate... Yorubas are homo sapiens, we only mate with members of our species that is why we don't marry fulanis.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos] / Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.