Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,375 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:25 PM

Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend (40935 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by donifez(m): 8:15pm On Mar 03, 2015
Nna imere nkoma, abum onye igbo...amam ka esi agu igbo, mana amah om ka esi asu igbo ofuma, abum ndi anakpo "my mama say i be igbo".
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by bigfrancis21: 8:15pm On Mar 03, 2015
devour129:
and flavour . I miss Oliver ,osadebe, nwa nsugbe and co . Going to spotify to find their music . Going to blast it all night, sorry neighbors it's Igbo music nite.

As a lover of native Igbo music, there is a new kid on the block, Prince Chijioke Mbanefo, who sings like Osadebe. If you've not checked him out before, you need to check him out.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by wordcat(m): 8:16pm On Mar 03, 2015
PerfectlyPerfect:
OP hit the nail on the head.
No ibo family raise their children in ibo language nowadays. Its really hurtful. 50years is even too much. If nothing is done to salvage the situation, our language will go extinct.
This is one of the reasons why I rep Phyno and Ada Mbano

When last did u travel to your village?
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by bigfrancis21: 8:18pm On Mar 03, 2015
EbuGeneral:
this really pains me when I speak Igbo to some of my course mates or enjoy musics from Osadebe, Oliver de Coque of blessed memory, morocco, Bright Chimezie, Oriental, Chijioke Mbanefo and co they term me Igbotic and local. But I no send, am still better than them on GPA

I remember one day in the hostel during my undergraduate days, a roommate of mine came back from lectures and met me playing a nativr Igbo phone on my phone and you need to see the way he was shocked. I asked him why he was shocked, after all I am 'Igbo' and he replied, 'you look janded. You shouldn't be playing this type of song'. Needless to say, I was baffled and kept on playing my dear song.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Gamesmart: 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2015
When Igbo people can't stop naming their kids with English names and many only speaking English to them, of course it is going to go extinct.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by wordcat(m): 8:23pm On Mar 03, 2015
NwaAnambra:
Op definitely is not travelled as he claimed. Only someone who didn't stay in the east will say the language is dying. Go to all major markets in Lagos, what they speak there is Igbo. From Ladipo to Mandillas to Berger tokumbo car market. Even here in Ikirun Osun state where I am serving, Igbos speak their language proudly. The truth is that the UNESCO prediction is best a phantom. My principal and V.P also speak because they did their university education in UNN in 1992. So what's the fuss about?. Even in the various universities in the East, each faculty has an Igwe and they use it to promote the language and the culture.

Even here in Apapa(Wharf, Tin Can, Coconut) we speak Igbo as if we are in Alaigbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by wordcat(m): 8:30pm On Mar 03, 2015
Edusouls:
igbos are the most foolish and proud tribe in nigeria, we are very poor yet makes the greatest noise, white men first came to hausa land, and then to the yoruba's we met the white men like 100years after the yoruba's, but we dey behave like say na only us see the white men, our inferiority complex and pride makes us to see our language as second class, because we are second class, and igbo women are the most stupid,inferior and proud set of people, they now almost speak english through out to their kids, they see igbo language as a let down and too local to speak, pride and stupidity is the worse disease any one can suffer from, and igbos suffer mostly from this disease...

Who are the "we" and "Us" in your write-up

I sincerely believe that you're speaking for yourself and your family.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Dani4tech(m): 8:32pm On Mar 03, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Nmema okwu Igbo nweriri otu o g'iji bido. Mbido ahu abughi la Bekee. Gbalia degharia ya. Zi nde madu la o di oke nkpa. O bughi mgbe liile "Igbo is endangered". Nde Ngwa kwuru si la e jighi Bekee ere akika. "Come buy white ant"; onye g'izu? Ihe "Igbo is endangered" nkea... Laani ihe o kpatara bu Bekee ma Bekee. O nweghi ihe ozo. O buru la i choro mgbanwe, bido degharia okwu ghi l'Igbo. Okwu Bekee agwula ike.

nwanne biko gini bu 'Lol' na Igbo? undecided
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:36pm On Mar 03, 2015
wordcat:

When last did u travel to your village?

You know what I mean. Shun rural areas. They're the only exception to this.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:37pm On Mar 03, 2015
Gamesmart:
When Igbo people can't stop naming their kids with English names and many only speaking English to them, of course it is going to go extinct.

I dey tells u o.
My parents named me Obinna and dats the name I tell people when they ask but ask any gurl her name, 70% of them would tell u their English name, as if Igbo names are curses. It's really that bad
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Ishilove: 8:38pm On Mar 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I remember one day in the hostel during my undergraduate days, a roommate of mine came back from lectures and met me playing a nativr Igbo phone on my phone and you need to see the way he was shocked. I asked him why he was shocked, after all I am 'Igbo' and he replied, 'you look janded. You shouldn't be playing this type of song'. Needless to say, I was baffled and kept on playing my dear song.
Roomates are far. My own family members living with me think I'm 'odd' because I love listening to Igbo and Yoruba highlife. They call it 'palmwine music'

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Ishilove: 8:42pm On Mar 03, 2015
PerfectlyPerfect:

I dey tells u o.
My parents named me Obinna and dats the name I tell people when they ask but ask any gurl her name, 70% of them would tell u their English name, as if Igbo names are curses. It's really that bad
Even our stars are worse. They've discarded their roots and are naming their kids very strange foreign names... Alingo, Cameroun, Maximiliano, Stefan etc

I don't know if it is inferiority complex, colonial mentality, colonial complex or a poutpourri of all undecided

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by wordcat(m): 8:45pm On Mar 03, 2015
PerfectlyPerfect:

You know what I mean. Shun rural areas. They're the only exception to this.

N'ebe kwanu?

I'm in Apapa,Lagos, Coconut to be precise and we speak Igbo EVERY DAY so what part of Nigeria are u that u don't interact in Igbo language?
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by iiiyyyk(m): 8:57pm On Mar 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

One can't even find the so-called UNESCO projection on the internet. I have researched for it severally and did not see it on the internet. One begins to wonder where the so-called projection came from.

Don't, mind them. The few igbos born and raise in lagos always thing the world ends in lagos.

Im happy each time i meet them, i always make them look and realise how stupid some of them are. Go round igbo land, conductors, drivers, every body communicate in igbo. And somebody want me to believe that by 2065, no body will be speaking igbo language.
Remember igbo language is a compulsory subject in all secondary schools in igboland.

My childhood friend once told me, that the only mistake the white made was not to have told us that God is in England.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by tonychristopher: 9:09pm On Mar 03, 2015
How can tgey say that igbo lang will die ...it didn't die during biafran war is it now

With millions native speakers I wonder how this can happen

They csn say that igbo can evolve not die

Mind you it is rare to find an adult igbo that doesn't understand or speak igbo ..igbo frown on it and they are termed efulefu

Igbo have many dialect from ika to ukwuani then enuani to owerri and ngwa ..so many

So where will death start

Orji will be spoken to in igbo
Libation and igo offor igbo

Mind you I have never seen an igbo that doesnt bear igbo name

Just like Muslim bearing Arab names in north igbos are Christian so must bear Christian names

Dont take everything the oyibo tell you
The way oyibo tell us that mungo park discovered river Niger ...you ask what happened to the igbos at the bank of the river ..where they not fetching water before almighty mungo landed

So don't believe everything these whites yell and tell

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 9:10pm On Mar 03, 2015
jnrbayano:
Onyenwanyi gozie gi ebe o di ukwu. Mmadu ga nokwa na mmiri ncha abaa ya anya

Umu igbo ka anyi were kwa ututu choba ewu ojii.

Umu igbo ka anyi wepu aka enwe n'ofe tupu oghoro aka mmadu.

Umu igbo ka anyi kwoo mmiri ka o no n'obe/n'ikiri ukwu.

O ma akwa asa/awu ahu mara onwe ya.

A tuoro omara omara mana a tuoro ofeke, ofenye isi n'ohia

Ukpana okpoko gburu nti chiri ya

Ijiji ntiike na-eso ozu ala n'ili.

Daalu ode akwukwo maka omalicha edemede a.

Iseeee (amen). Chukwu gozikwa gi nwanne m. Onye eburu gafe na ama nna ya bu onye nwuru anwu. O buru na ndi Igbo nile jiko aka onu were chuwa ewu oji mgbe oge ka di, asusu anyi agaghi ala, ma o buru na Chukwu soro kwado.
Dalukwa ezigbo nwanne m
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by ikeyman00(m): 9:13pm On Mar 03, 2015
@@@
biafra is coming. Never worry. We are going back tto our souls
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by jnrbayano(m): 9:13pm On Mar 03, 2015
MbaanabaraAgu:

Iseeee (amen). Chukwu gozikwa gi nwanne m. Onye eburu gafe na ama nna ya bu onye nwuru anwu. O buru na ndi Igbo nile jiko aka onu were chuwa ewu oji mgbe oge ka di, asusu anyi agaghi ala, ma o buru na Chukwu soro kwado.
Dalukwa ezigbo nwanne m

Ya gaziere gi smiley

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 9:15pm On Mar 03, 2015
kayciano:
Am IGBO...
and the WRITE UP is TRUE...
When I attend to my clients who share same TRIBE with me, I try as much as POSSIBLE to speak IGBO, most especially the LADIES treat me with DISDAIN.

I HAD to confront some, telling them How much I STUDIED my BOOKS as a MEDICAL STUDENT.
That if anyone should feel INFERIOR, probably I should be the one..

I didn't grow up in an IGBO SPEAKING Locality, but my DAD made it a TABOO not to SPEAK IGBO to him.

In other not to PROPEL this TREND, I made a VOW to MARRY an EDUCATED LADY that Speaks IGBO fluently, irrespective of her tribe.

Our LADIES are the edged Culprits, they FEEL INFERIOR...
My MD. An IGBO, embarrassed me ONE DAY ,when he told me NEVER to Reply IGBO PATIENTS in IGBO.
I went into my OFFICE and wept abstractly.

Nwanne, please do not allow those that shows disdain to ur langauge to weigh you down. Keep speaking d language no matter whose ox is gored. You wil have d last laugh. We are behind you. Onye Nna ya dinyere ohi na eji ukwu agbawa uzo.
Udo diri gi
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 9:18pm On Mar 03, 2015
liricyst:
Well...its sad really especially cos i'm a culprit! I was raised speaking English but later when my people started to speak Igbo to me, I wasn't Interested..i would respond in English. Only saviour for me is that i could understand. But when i later saw how important it was...i started to speak but my intonation would cause hysterical laughter from fluent speaking Igbos. So i just kinda gave up on it. But four months ago,i met this babe who would laugh but still correct me...and i've been picking up. From last two months i resorted to speaking only Igbo around the house...i've improved but no where near the level i need to get to. Still takes me so much time to make a point and i also take moments of silence to think up words to use. I have set a two year target for myself to achieve this and by my goal setting,in four months time i want to start learning how to read and write in Igbo. If uan like make una laugh...one day i will surely laugh along with you.

Ji si e ike, adala mba, Chukwu gba gi ume.
Dalu
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Gamesmart: 9:18pm On Mar 03, 2015
PerfectlyPerfect:

I dey tells u o.

Yes o.

Go and look at the names of the pikins of P-Squared.

A disgrace. Shame on them.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 9:27pm On Mar 03, 2015
plaetton:
It is truly pathetic my brethren. We have parents in Enugu who are proud to boast that their children don't speak Igbo. So disgusting.

I go to my village, and everyone is speaking to me in english while I am speaking to them in Igbo. Its so frustrating.

I remember back in secondary school, they used to punish us for speaking Igbo, calling it vanacular, and giving it a negative connotation.

The catholic church, in my mind, is the child culprit. They have been waging a relentless war against Igbo culture for over 100 yrs.

We have been so seduced by the allures and promises of modernism, that we have locked the courage and stamina to push back and roll back the aggressive and steady erosions of our culture and self-identity.

This is where the dearth of visionary leadership is so evident.

For Anyone interested, I plan to float a society for the preservation of Igbo culture.
The plan would first lobby and pressure all stake governments in East to recognise the problem, then formulate a long Team activated plan that would include emphasis on the Igbo language in our primary and secondary education, scholarships and specify burseries and other incentives for students majoring in Igbo language at higher institutions, as well encouraging and funding of Igbo language authors, special salary scale for Igbo language teachers, and last but not the last is special and permanent media awareness campaign that injects pride into Igbo culture and history.

We can start now.
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Dalu ezigbo nwanne m. I opened this thread to make people realise there is a problem because when you dont see a problem then you wont seek for solution. All that you mentioned as possible solutions are also in my agenda , infact am working towards opening an NGO on Igbo Renaissance in the future. We can join hands with other Igbo youths to restore the pride of our language. Igbo ga adi.
Udo diri gi

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by garma4n15(m): 9:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
ya bro..am noticing it also..it may go on extinct
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by eaglechild: 9:55pm On Mar 03, 2015
plaetton:
It is truly pathetic my brethren. We have parents in Enugu who are proud to boast that their children don't speak Igbo. So disgusting.

I go to my village, and everyone is speaking to me in english while I am speaking to them in Igbo. Its so frustrating.

I remember back in secondary school, they used to punish us for speaking Igbo, calling it vanacular, and giving it a negative connotation.

The catholic church, in my mind, is the child culprit. They have been waging a relentless war against Igbo culture for over 100 yrs.

We have been so seduced by the allures and promises of modernism, that we have locked the courage and stamina to push back and roll back the aggressive and steady erosions of our culture and self-identity.

This is where the dearth of visionary leadership is so evident.

For Anyone interested, I plan to float a society for the preservation of Igbo culture.
The plan would first lobby and pressure all stake governments in East to recognise the problem, then formulate a long Team activated plan that would include emphasis on the Igbo language in our primary and secondary education, scholarships and specify burseries and other incentives for students majoring in Igbo language at higher institutions, as well encouraging and funding of Igbo language authors, special salary scale for Igbo language teachers, and last but not the last is special and permanent media awareness campaign that injects pride into Igbo culture and history.

We can start now.
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
I totally disagree with you on this.

I mean it has changed.

If anything at all it is the exact opposite.

The Catholic church is one of the few that still compulsorily holds mass in native languages in the cities?

Catechism is still taught in Igbo.

Have you heard of the Odenigbo lecture series which is aimed at promoting the use of Igbo language.

It is backed by the Catholic church with Prof Pita Ejiofo at the forefront.

I know that Owerri, Onitsha and Awka Dioceses vehemently support this.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 9:56pm On Mar 03, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
I disagree with Unesco, but I equally agree with Mbaanabaragu, Igbos are adressing it, here at Iyana School Ojo, we have Igbo Anglican Church where everything is done in Igbo (OFUFE NRO) sermon, come and see kids reading Igbo Bible as if tomorrow no dey, I was in Onicha last December and was very watchful of somethings like usage of Igbo language and was very impressed when I saw kids during their Church programe at Awada all in Igbo. In my office once I know that you are Igbo , I speak Igbo to you.

Odinma, keep speaking Igbo to all your Igbo friends, if they choose not to speak Igbo to you or prefers to reply you in English then it is to their own shame, let their attitude not deter u from speaking d language, this way they will give up someday

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by plaetton: 10:06pm On Mar 03, 2015
MbaanabaraAgu:

Dalu ezigbo nwanne m. I opened this thread to make people realise there is a problem because when you dont see a problem then you wont seek for solution. All that you mentioned as possible solutions are also in my agenda , infact am working towards opening an NGO on Igbo Renaissance in the future. We can join hands with other Igbo youths to restore the pride of our language. Igbo ga adi.
Udo diri gi
Udo dikwara gi Nwanne'm.
Count me in.
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 10:10pm On Mar 03, 2015
hijodedios:
nwanne m nwoke,udo diri gi maka edemede a idere ebea,obi di m uto n'ihi na oka nwere ndi o na amasi ka asusu Igbo ghara ibu ihe nara n'iyi kama ka ndi Igbo kulite na ura na ebe mgbasa ozi Igbo di.O bu ihe nwute ma burukwa nnukwu ihe ihere na otutu umuaka Igbo enweghi ike isu asusu Igbo ma ghara itinye asusu oyibo na ime ya,nke kasi njo bu na ndi nne na nna anyi oge ugbua anaghi akpo ya mpka ikuziri umuaka ha asusu Igbo,okachasi ndi nke amuru na obodo lagos.Ndumaodu m na enye ndi nne na nna tata bu ka anyi jidesie ike na agba mbo na nkuzi na nkwado asusu Igbo na ebe umuaka anyi no.Ka chineke gozie ndi Igbo nile na ebe obula ha no.

(it will take a real Igbo man/woman to read and understand me because my laptop didn't have the functions to punctuate my write up adequately)
Iseee. gozikwa gi nwanne m. Anyi ghotara ihe i dere. Okwu gi kwu oto. O bu eziokwu ka ikwuru. Jisie ike na asuru nwanne gi obula asusu igbo oge nile, oburu na ime nkea, asusu anyi agaghi ala.
Dalukwa

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 10:19pm On Mar 03, 2015
kianeli:
Nnamdi nwa nnem.imela ri nne.oteela m chorowara onye onodu asusu igbo no taa n'ewute dika osi ewutem . Biko oke otutu okwu anoghi n' uka mgbede.oga adim mma ka anyi kwuo n' ekwe nti.Aham bu Amachukwu.akara ekwe ntim bu 08035403037.biko ziterem nkegi n' ozi ikuku kam kpoo gi. ...asusu igbo agaghi anwu.

Udo diri gi ezi nwanne m Amachukwu. Anula m ihe ikwuru. A ga m ezitere gi ozi na ikuku mgbe na adighi anya.
Dalu
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by charlycharles(m): 10:31pm On Mar 03, 2015
Igbo lang is widely spoken in equitorial guinea such dat d govt of dat country hav to recognize igbo lang as an official minority lang in dat country #fact.
Igbo lang is widely spoken in southern cameroon.
Igbo lang is still d most spoken native lang in nigeria after d hausa lang. #fact...
how then can IGBO lang go into extinction?
is it a dynasau?
IGBO LANG CAN NEVA DIE WHEN NDI IGBO ARE STILL ALIVE.
proudly igbo...

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by Ishilove: 10:31pm On Mar 03, 2015
plaetton:

Udo dikwara gi Nwanne'm.
Count me in.
So you're igbo? cheesy
Re: Igbo Language And Its Downward Trend by ChinenyeN(m): 10:40pm On Mar 03, 2015
Dani4tech:
nwanne biko gini bu 'Lol' na Igbo? undecided

Ochi.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Masquerades In Igboland / Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics / How Ooni Ogunwusi Met Wuraola, His Mother's Namesake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.