Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:01 AM

Glitches - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Glitches (43418 Views)

[story] Glitches…part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 11:49pm On Mar 01, 2015
Copyrights © 2015

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this work or portions thereof in any form whatsoever.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 11:59pm On Mar 01, 2015
Prologue

The evening breeze was soothing to his nerves, he needed it more than he needed life. The serene feeling he got from the jungle was top-notch, it felt like the paradise described in the bible, if only he wasn't in the jungle because of circumstances too grave to be proud of.
The tweets of the birds sent sweet melodious tunes down his ear canal, more inspiring than any musician of this world could ever produce.

He watched a little droplet of water form on a leaf just above his head, it increased in size until its weight was too much for the tender skin of the pure water to carry. It dropped gently on his feet, running down his leg and massaging his bare lower limb.

The sound of the crickets also rented the air, threatening to disrupt the flow of inspiration from the tweets of the birds. He got up and stretched his body, his vetebra making a crack sound as though it had been fractured. He yawned and started moving gently, his calculated steps causing the dry leaves on the ground to crackle. His tattered short adorned his lower region while his upper region was left unclad.
He stood at 5ft9 with his beard looking so unkept and bushy. Undoubtedly, no clipper had touched his hair in a very long time.
He opened the keg that was tied to his waist and gulped the content, sighed and threw the keg away, he probably had much of those at home or wherever he was coming from.

He continued his moves while taking note of his environment, having been living in the jungle for years, he knew where everything was and would easily detect a new object - yes, he was that sensitive.

The thunder rumbled gently from the sky, informing him that the gods were having a little arguement - they weren't that perfect afterall. The clouds had began to form and the sun was gradually loosing it's shine. The gentle breeze was becoming more fierce and the melodious songs of the birds turned into cries of fright while the trees swayed in obedience to the command of the wind. The animals of the jungle were all running helter-skelter as none would like to be caught in the web of the coming downpour.

As darkness began to cast it's shawdows on the jungle and the thick cloud formed a canopy, he felt a glitch in his eyes. That was a sign he wasn't supposed to be there, he needed to find his way to the cave of solitude.

The cave of solitude was his rock - literally, where he found succour whenever the glitches started. It doesn't forestall the impending doom nor does it supress the monster in him but it does well to contain it. He took a well calculated step as he jumped on a rock which helped to lift him up to a tree branch which he gladly grabbed. He wriggled quickly round the branch and then jumped to another and unto another and then another until he got to the last which was on a cliff. He breathed out loudly before grabbing a rope he had constructed and swinged across the cliff like a cable car.

He disengaged at the other side and started running like an invisible beast was in pursuit. The Intensity of the darkness kept increasing and the glitches were getting more intense. He could barely see but he knew he was close, he stepped up his pace and was running like his life depended on it. Well, his life didn't directly depend on it but the life of others did depend on it.

He got to the cave just in time. Immediately he entered the cave and pulled his short, he had a complete glitch, all he could see was plain white. Not white as in colour but white of void and emptiness, like he wasn't in control of himself and another soul had replaced his. He felt his eyeballs bulging and his whole body inflating.
Two of his ribs from each side of his body broke and gave way for another limb that bulged out from either sides of his body. His nails gradually transformed to claws and his hairs scales.

His eyes turned blodshot and he had fangs for teeth. His head was bald with stitches on his face. He stood up fully, revealing his new height of about 7ft. His four hands and two legs adorned his monstrous body. He roared loudly, sending terrifying sound through the jungle. After looking around, he laid down on the ground and slept peacefully not betraying what he trully was - a beast!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 12:17am On Mar 02, 2015
This work is purely fictitious. Names, characters, events and places are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to events or persons, either dead or alive, is entirely coincidental.
Re: Glitches by toliz: 12:56am On Mar 02, 2015
Wonderful appetizer.....
Patiently waiting for the main dish.

1 Like

Re: Glitches by Olarewajub: 8:22am On Mar 02, 2015
Now following.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 12:07pm On Mar 02, 2015
Jeremy was seated in the palour, watching his favourite series 'The originals'. It was actually a sequel to the vampire diaries which he had already finished watching so when chukwudi - his buddy, informed him of 'the originals', he rushed to the film shop across his street to get it and since then he had been glued to the t.v set.
The room was poorly illuminated
revealing an old couch directly in front of the t.v and a one-sitter on the right hand side of the couch. The room potrayed the impression of someone who had once made it in life but had somehow spindle down the economic ladder.

"Tick.. Tack..tick..tack" the old wall clock registered its presence.

Jeremy was carried away by the movie, oblivous of the presence of his father. He was watching a scene were Elijah-an original, killed two vampires and plucked out their hearts.

"What type of movie is this?" His father barked.
Mr.bassey was an ardent movie follower when in his elements but never had he liked the horror genre.

"Sir... Sir" Jeremy stuttered. "It's a new movie"

The reply obviously wasnt good enough for his disciplinarian father, his eyes flashed in anger.
"I've warned you never to watch this kind of movies in my house, if you want to watch all these useless movies then you might as well consider building your own house"

Jeremy was angry but he had to hide it, afterall it was only the old man, he didnt want to incure the wrath of his mother.
"Don't mind that boy, his mates are in the university trying to better their lives but he is here wasting away his" Mrs bassey interjected.

Immediaty jeremy heard the voice of his mother, he knew he was done for it. He would have sworn she ran out of the bedroom immediately she heard her 'hubby' Dishing out his daily dose of tongue lashing. He was truly tired of living under the same roof with parents whose answers to his greetings were a constant reminder of his inability to gain admission into the higher institution of learning.
Not that he wasn't intelligent, no!! Infact he could only count two people who were better than him academically during his secondary school days. His problem was induced by his parent who wanted him to be an engineer at all cost and as if that wasn't enough havoc they've created, they constantly made it a point of duty to remind him of this same problem which was caused by them.

Jeremy quietly put off the T.V set and made to leave the room but his dad ordered him to sit back.

"Ronke, what was that noise i heard in the afternoon?" Mr. Bassey asked his wife.

"Ah! It's michael o" she replied.

"Which michael?"

"Michael, the son of the olabisis" she answered.

"You mean the one abroad?" Mr. Bassey asked.

"Yes, he came back this afternoon."

"Thats good."

"Thats great" Mrs. Bassey interjected. "No really, it is. You wont believe what he came back with;
Clothes worth hundreds of thousands, assorted wines, some foreign foods. He even bought a car for his father and i heard they've started developing their land in the village courtesy of michael. Good doesn't qualify it, great is the word.

"Yes, it is very soothing to discover that other people's sons aren't wasting away their lives like yours is." Mr. Bassey replied sarcastically.

There was an aura of tension in the room. Mr. Bassey knew that didn't come out well, nothing from his mouth ever did. How on earth does he find such pleasure in slandering his son? He knew without doubt he was the worst Dad on earth.

Jeremy never liked michael for once, he was that kid who'd bully others and flog them for the fun of it. Although michael was way older than the other kids, he was never seen with his mates, instead he would gather the kids and make them fight it out for who would help him carry his canes. One of such occasions, jeremy had dared michael to a fight. The result was a bleeding nose and a broken tooth,it was a day jeremy never forgot.

The silence in the room grew thicker and that was a great noise in itself. Everyone had things to say but was selective in their choice of words. Apology was not an option for Mr. Bassey. An African dad shouldn't apologise, not for anything, it shows weakness. He prayed for an easy way out and he got the answer, a knock on the door it was.

"Come in." He quickly answered.

Whoever it was, kept struggling with the door but it didn't open.
"It's locked." he finally said.

"Jeremy go see who it is" Mrs. Bassey ordered.

Jeremy walked to the door, unbolted it and flew it open, the face he never wanted to see stood there at the door with a smile. It was michael.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:49pm On Mar 02, 2015
Aaron thought over his plans again, he loved nature and a three day picnic at ogbanike hills would be a sure way to prove that. He was oxfords definition of successful - he had the money and the fame and at 25, he had achieved more than what the average 50year old nigerian would. He had inherited his father's pharmaceutical company when the man died of heart complications.

One apparant problem to his plan though was his girlfriend, stella. Convincing her to go with him would be an uphill task. Nontheless, it was one he would cheerfully pursue.
He picked up his phone and dialed stella, she picked at the first ring. His fine lips shaped into a smile, incurring plausible wrinkles to the sides of his eyes.

"Don't tell me you were waiting for my call" He spoke with a tone of suprise. If stella hadn't known better, she'd have mistaken it for pride.

"And since when has it become a crime to pick a call at first ring, sergent Yusuf?" stella fired back.

"Since you decided not to make any lunch arrangements" Aaron accused.They normally took turns to sponsor lunch. "Today is your turn remember?"

"And who said there was no arrangement in place? Cynthia told me of this new mama iyabo joint near the parish, how is that for 'arragement'?"

"You know i'm a sucker for local delicacies so don't get too jelous when i start diverting my attention from you to mama iyabo"

"I guess thats where my karate class will come in handy" stella said admist laughter from Aaron. "On a serious note i know i'm not been fair here but would you please take care of today?"

"sure i will, heck i always do" Aaron bragged "but you'll promise me one thing"

"which is?"

"I'm gonna propose something and you are not saying no"

"If its a marriage proposal you'd better come with a brand new bentley continental o" stella warned. "And the ring must be a 6 carat diamond ring."

"You Forgot the part where we hire fake friends to act as suprise restaurant visitors.

"Whatever"

"1:00pm, don't be late" Aaron said and ended the call.

Why was he being such a punk? Getting all jittery at the thought of a simple request to his girlfriend.
He had to give it to stella though, no girl had been able to make him so helpless in his entire life.

"At this rate she'll be the one paying your brideprice... Or is it groomprice now?" his friends would always tease him.

Talking about friends, he hasn't heard from kingsley for the past... 2hours. The sun of a gun promised to take him out clubbing this night. Clubbing was the next thing to stella on Aaron's love book. He could miss church service on sunday, his work on monday, shopping on tuesday, watching football on wednesday, arguing with friends on thursday but miss clubbing on friday? Escuse me, but thats like missing a flight to the Bahamas.

He dialed kingsley, just to be sure the clubbing arrangement was still in place but unlike stella, kingsley didn't pick at first dial dealing an uppercut to his ego.
The only thing he hated more than Tonto Dike's voice on a song was having to dial a number twice. That shii's like farting in public - embarrasing.

"Baba i dey road dey come your office" Kingsley informed Aaron after picking his second dial.

"I wan commot o, i get date by 1:00pm"

"No hype yourself, no be you i dey come find na that your secretary, she been wink at me the last time wey i come."

"Kingsley, my secretary is off limits. Allow her to concentate on official duties." Now it had to be serious for Aaron to switch to pure english.

"Official duties ke, like warming your bed?"

"Whatever man, she aint your booty call"

"Who said anything about booty call? I just wanted to pay her a visit, didn't mean to offend the boys scout"

"Shey we still dey go clubbing this night?" Aaron changed the topic

"Yes na, thats where i wanted to take your secretary sef" Kingsley said before realizing what he'd said. "To take notes" he quickly added.

"You no well" Aaron said and hung up.

He quickly sorted some files. The time was already 12:45 so he stood up and left his office. He saw his secretary at the reception.

"Good afternoon sir" she greeted.

"Afternoon Agnes" he answered. "I'm going for lunch, make sure you work on the famacil file before i get back"

"Okay sir."

He walked out but stopped on his tracks as if remembering something.
"And agnes" He called out. "Your eyes are meant for the computer screen, not for winking" He said and walked out.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 1:40pm On Mar 03, 2015
Humans are an esoteric species. Sometimes they think they've grown and are ready for the challenges of yesterday,those things that brought them down.
They often pray to God like;
"God, i know i didn't handle this situation well, but give me one more chance and i promise to make things right."
And when that chance comes, they discover they're still not ready.

That was the situation Jeremy found himself. All his adult life he's been praying for that day when he'd grab michael by the neck, push him to the wall, gently crush his balls and watch him wince in pain. He'd thought of all the crazy tricks he would practice on michael.
Here was the the opportunity on a platter and he was just staring like a dunce.

Well, he'd expected to see a frail looking michael, nobody told him he would face a stunt looking negro with broad chest and an admirable biceps.
Admirable? Is that what he really thinks of this biceps? Hell no!!! Looks like what you'd get after one week at a cement depot... After loading and offloading a cement truck ofcourse.

"Are we going to continue the staring competition or are we waiting for an umpire to signal the end?" michael spoke sarcastically.

"Still the same old rude michael huh?" Jeremy thought.
He opened the door wider and made way for michael who walked majestically into the room. He was wearing a blue singlet with chains and a towel on his neck, a black pant trousers and a timberland boot.

"weird dress sense." Jeremy reasoned and scoffed.

"Good day ma, good sir." he greated when he reached the palour.

"Ah michael, is this you? You are now a man o."

Jeremy hated how his mum said this same line to every male visitor they get, makes him feel less of a man - somewhat like an imp.
How on earth does she even derive pleasure in making him downcasted or hasn't she noticed he now has beards and moustache? Maybe he should just leave the house for a little while. Maybe she'll notice when he comes back after a year or two. But where should he go?

"Earth to jeremy"

It was michael.

"Mum wanted you to buy malt for me but i thought wine would be better. Would you stroll to my house and get me one? Tell whoever is at home i sent you"

He stressed the 'i sent you' part. He was consciously passing a message across to jeremy, he still was his boss.

It took a great deal of will power for Jeremy not to strangle michael and a greater deal of strenght to overcome the inertia he had at that moment. He dragged his feet like he had spiritual elephantiasis.

"Would you walk like a man?" Mr. Bassey shouted at him and as if a computer program had been lauched in his brain, he increased his steps. That was how much he feared his father.

Haggardly, he walked until he got to the house of the Olabisi's.
Kelly was the only one at home when he got there. Kelly was someone he usually got along with not for anything but her endownment. She had this busty physique that did everything but hide her sexy figure. If anything, it helped to spell out the words 'sex appeal'.

"You know sooner or later i'm gonna kill your bro right?"

"I wish you luck with that." Kelly replied. "What has he done this time?"

"He sent me to get some wine"

"And??"

"What do you mean by 'And'? Michael sending me is enough crime to warrant a death penalty"

"You still haven't changed have you?"

"Depends... You know if he had sent me to get milk i'd have been glad to oblige"

"Unfortunately, there is no milk at home"

"Ya but there is a natural milk resevoir standing in front of me" Jeremy said with a grin.

"Here is the wine, now get going." Kelly dragged him out and closed the door before giving a sheepish smile at the other end, it was weird but she kinda enjoyed Jeremy's rudeness.

Jeremy on the other hand shrugged and walked home. He had seriously hoped he'd get more than a terrorist's farewell. He admired the wine as he walked home.

Everyone at home were chatting cheerfully and laughing when jeremy got in.
So michael wasn't a douchebag alone, he is now a clown? Great!!

"Ah, jeremy you're back" Mrs. Bassey looked suprised. "Drop the wine on the table and take your seat"

Jeremy couldn't remember what crime it was he comitted but one thing was sure, his mum never offered him seat unless it was time for some serious tongue lashing.

"Michael, tell Jeremy what you just told us"

Michael cleared his throat and spoke.
"Jeremy, i want you to come with me to the states."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:17pm On Mar 03, 2015
Stella came early this day, as she mostly did whenever she wanted to see her princecharming walk through the door. As minute as it might sound, it was a big deal for stella.
Oh how she loved his African swagger. The way he walked with boldness and exquisite gait, reminiscence of a true African prince. She had always imagined he was from a clan of 'Oblivious-to-the-fact-princes', who had somehow lost all knowledge of their royalty.
Well, even if he wasn't truely a prince, even if she had been creating an illusion which to be honest she had began to believe of late, one thing was still for sure, Aaron was a prince in the royal kindom of her heart, with robes of pure desire carefully adorning his elegant African body.

The thought of his sexy body wasn't doing her body temperature any good so she had to take her mind off him, maybe feed her eyes off the guests in the Restaurant.

Her first stop was a couple at the far end, they looked pretty happy. She scanned the next seat were she saw a man in his 30s? 40s? He definitely wasn't more than 40. One thing caught her attention though, he was looking at his wrist watch every five seconds like he was waiting for a document which he was supposed to hand over to the president in the next 20minutes.
That obviously wasn't stella's business so she continued her visual journey, this time another couple caught her attention. The guy who was wearing what stella thought was an expensive suite was raising his voice slightly above normal at a Young beautiful lady at the other side of the table. The lady was visibly in pains as a roll of tear gently slid down her cheek.
Stella thought the man was a mentally deranged fellow for inflicting pain to someone whose beauty could fetch her a far more caring man.

"None of my business" she whispered, taking a gentle sip from the drink she had ordered earlier.

Just then, she saw him. Drenched in sweat and walking like a drunk. Stella couldn't even begin to imagining the amount of deviation this 'fella' had from the royal Aaron she'd earlier painted. Truth be told, she'd have a greater chance measuring the lenght of london brigde with a meter rule.

She stood up and hugged him nontheless.
"What happened?" she asked, as Aaron took his seat.

Aaron sighed in exasperation.
"Car broke down... I couldn't let my princess sit here alone so i hopped on a bike and you know bikes aren't allowed into this area so i trekked the remaining journey, the result is what you're seeing here"

Stella hid her urge to laugh.
"You look terrible" she said.

"Well, this is exactly how michael phelps looks 20minutes before collecting his gold medal. Maybe i should rip off your gold necklace huh?"

"You're sick."

Aaron signaled the waiter who swiftly came and took their orders and left as swiftly as he came.

"Remember that leave i told you i applied for?" stella asked and Aaron nodded out of impulse.
"It has been granted"

"That's great, my anual leave is also coming up soon. I'll take that as a Sign."

The waiter brought their order. They both ordered the same stuff-bolognese and red wine, which they had grown to like. Nothing screamed romance more than an Italian food on a hot afternoon date with your girlfriend.

"A sign of what?"

"A vacation" Aaron replied.

"Waoh, that'd be great. Where do you have in mind?"

"Ogbanike hills"

Stella raised an eyebrow
"Ogbanike hills? Is there a resort there that i dont know of?"

"No. But we can enjoy it in it's natural state."

"Uhm... I don't know if it has been scientifically proven but hot sun, sweat and red wine Doesn't really blend well in one individual. I even heard it causes shallow reasoning"

"Stella i'm serious. The Gulder ultimate search crew did a thorough cleansing of that place, it would be safe for the three days we'll spend there"

"count me out" stella said sternly.

They ate in silence for the next 2minutes and the silence was getting defening for Aaron. He tried to break it.

"Sometimes i wish you could cook like this" he said.

"sometimes i wish you could serve like the waiter" stella said and they both had their fits of chuckles.

Aaron wasn't entirely happy with stella but atleast he tried to keep a straight face. He was going to Ogbanike hills whether she liked it or not.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 9:02am On Mar 04, 2015
If you wish to kill a mouse, you use a trap. If you wish to kill a bird, you use a catapult or a gun, depending on which village you come from. If you wish to kill your dad what'd you use? A dane gun?
Maybe. Maybe not. But one thing was sure, someone wanted to kill his dad and hadn't the slightest clue how to go about it.

Jeremy's eyes were on a killing spree. He gave his dad 3bullets on the chest, his mum 1bullet on the forehead and michael 6bullets on his mouth. If only the bullets weren't just visual illusions.

"We think it's a great idea and we've already agreed. Atleast you'll get to see the world from an eagle's eyeview instead of wasting your life on the street" Mr. Bassey gave what sounded like a great advice to his ears but was just a pile of septagenerian crap to jeremy.

"Jeremy you know we're your parents and we want the best for you, even though it doesn't seem that way most times. The decision we've made here today is one i'm very sure you'll continue to thank us for..."
Mrs Bassey went on and on about how the living conditions abroad were better than what he'll find anywhere in this country.
She even made mention of how the labour market over there was more friendly than what is obtainable here.
She had given a well articulated speech if her thoughts were anything to go by. But for Jeremy, all he heard were ramblings of a nusery school kid who was still learning how to recite 'solomon grandy'.

"Jer my man" Michael started.
"The states aint like anything you've ever seen bro. The feeling is out of this world. We gat nice weather over there and the roads are supercool, plus you get to taste those nice hoes over there."

"What's hoes?" Mrs bassey asked.

"It's a general term for fruits in the states."

After the different sermons from the different self ordained ministers of ludicrous doctrines, jeremy stood up without saying a word, and headed for his room.

"Where do you think you are going?" Mr. Bassey barked.

"Where does it look like? I'm going to sleep. My brain always gets this foggy feeling when it's trying to process too much rubbish. I think i need to cool it off."

Mr. Bassey was in shock. The chances of Jeremy talking back at him were practically non-existent or as rare as the chances of finding a polar bear in Nigeria. He looked at his wife who was also obviously in shock. Michael didn't portray any emotion.
Just when Mr. Bassey was about to get over jeremy's desecratious utterances as he'd put it, jeremy dropped another bomb shell.

"You have made too many wrong decisions in my life, dad. You sit comfortably on the driver's seat of my life with a blindfold and a smile on your face, gloriously driving me into a ditch. And even mum who's supposed to be a traffic warden on that lane is still on maternity leave."

Michael thought that was harsh, maybe it was because he hadn't heard the venom Jeremy was cooking for his mum.

Jeremy turned to his mum with so much hate and pain in his eyes. He never knew a day would come When he'd release all the stored up carthases. He'd swallowed enough pain pills to last him a life time.

"Tell me mum, was it the new Wrapper? was it the car or was it the land? What could warrant my mum selling me out into modern day slavery?..."

"...Its laughable how you became an expert in international affairs overnight when you don't even know what cotonou looks like. All that sermon on how the labour market abroad is better than what is obtainable here is just for 7yards of hollandis right?..."

"...Go ahead, tie me up, bundle me and ship me abroad in exchange for a mirror. Atleast it would be a great relief to leave this hellhole."

With that he walked out of them but stopped when he was about opening the door. He turned and pointed at michael.

"hey you!!! Whats with the fake accent? Is that the only thing you learnt from 'the states?' And please, the chains make you look like an underfed dog"

With that, he stormed out of the room leaving them with their mouths opened wide.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glitches by toliz: 10:03am On Mar 04, 2015
This is the result of being pushed to the wall.

2 Likes

Re: Glitches by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 04, 2015
wink What's hoes?" Mrs bassey asked."It's a general term for fruits in the states." grin lmao chai this dude is good.. Twale baba, we want more tho.

5 Likes

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 6:40pm On Mar 04, 2015
mistahteepex:
wink What's hoes?" Mrs bassey asked."It's a general term for fruits in the states." grin lmao chai this dude is good.. Twale baba, we want more tho.
bros calm down, we never start.

1 Like

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
The next few hours were boring to Aaron, only his thoughts kept him company, what a boring company it was. His plans for a duet forest camp had been dashed. Even though he had plans of doing it alone, he knew it wouldn’t be as eventful as it would have been with Stella on board.

The stress he had to go through that day didn’t raise his displeasure bar as much as the realization of a solo forest camp did. He had spent most of the afternoon with the mechanic fixing his car.

That car sef

His phone buzzed, bringing him back from his revere. He picked up the phone and saw a text from Kingsley.
‘’Where the hell are you? Boys time out, remember?’’ The message read.
Aaron and his friends usually hung out every Friday evening before storming the club later in the night, seems like the only logical thing to take his mind off Stella’s disappointment.

He constructed a text and sent to Kingsley.
‘’Held up in traffic. Will be there soon’’
He checked the time it was just a few minutes past 6. He had been thinking for hours and his secretary couldn’t remind him he had worked or was it thought past closing time?
He quickly put his office in order and left, not minding the fact that his secretary was painting her nails when he came out and had tried in vain to hide the make-up kit on the table.
Was she trying to look sexy during office hours when she was supposed to be looking all smart and official? Now that was his business but he had no such time on his hands to put his man management skills into practice. Ever since he paid One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira for that seminar, he hadn’t really put into practice all that was said that day. His attendance could pass for a colossal waste of company fund because he wouldn’t even remember the face of the seminar presenter – although the boobs made a lasting impression.

He walked to the parking lot and saw the car that gave him the worst day of the month. With squeezed face and an increased heartbeat, he opened the door and went in, said his prayers and was about starting the car when he heard a gentle knock on the glass, it was Agnes.

‘’Sir, would you be passing through bank’s road?’’ she asked.

‘’No, I want to go through the market’’

Agnes was telling him how she would love to visit the market too as she would love to pick up some few items for soup but Aaron wasn’t even paying attention, he just opened his wallet and removed a thousand Naira note and handed it over to her.

‘’Board a taxi Agnes’’

He started his car and zoomed off, heading straight at bank’s road, not minding the fact that Agnes was still watching him. He was the boss after all.

He couldn’t imagine himself staying in the car alone with his secretary, discussing non-official issues. Their relationship had hitherto been plainly official and he intended keeping it that way. He wouldn’t tolerate a subordinate coming to the office at 10:00am and giving him that lame one line excuse.
‘’I didn’t wake up early ‘cos of last night’’
And of course you wouldn’t be able to say anything because, of a truth, you went real hard on her last night and you wouldn’t have been able to make it to the office 2hours before her if not for the fact that you’re a man. And that isn’t even the painful part. The painful part is the fact that you can’t even tell her ‘’don’t try that again’’ cos you know, that would mean no more al’night vigil. Doesn’t exactly sound like an intriguing escapade.

The rest of the drive home was in silence except for one or two occasions where he had to insult those useless hawkers and bus drivers. He actually thought they should be a law prohibiting bus drivers from overtaking angry road users and another, banning hawking on the road. He had heard issues of petty robbery by these road side hawkers but in a country where even the main robbers go scot free, banning hawkers because of petty robbery would be a far-fetched cry.

By the time he got home, it was already past 7. He quickly ran in to meet a full house, the boys were all seated at his mini bar. Kingsley had a bottle of red wine in his hands and was drinking directly from the bottle like the drunkard he was.

‘’All rise, the man of the house is back!’’ Tobi flew his hands in a welcoming manner, mimicking a court jester.

‘’Correction please! Its woman of the house’’ Kingsley said while all the boys gave a resounding laughter.

‘’one of these days I’m going to poison your drink’’ Aaron gave Kingsley a scowl.

‘’DSP Segun, I hope you heard that’’

‘’I’m not deaf’’ Segun replied

‘’But he just threatened my life and you said nothing, or are you scared he might collect the drink from you? Don’t worry, I’ll buy you a bar.’’

‘’Kingsley, poisoning you isn’t as bad as you are making it look like. It will only rid the world of one talkative.’’ Segun mocked, earning him laughter from around the room.

‘’very funny’’ Kingsley replied sarcastically.
Before long, Aaron had freshened up and joined them in the fun. Jibes were thrown at will and Kingsley was almost always at the receiving end. It could be likened to the proverbial hunter who was been hunted by the bush meat because prior to that day, Kingsley held the title for the most jibes thrown and Aaron held that for the most jibes received. Kingsley got tired and suggested they head to the club which was welcomed by all.

‘’Everybody bring on your ‘A-game’ cos we’re storming that club in style’’ Kingsley shouted and all the boys ran to their various cars, heading to one destination. Buzzers club it was.
Re: Glitches by toliz: 12:59am On Mar 05, 2015
adegwurulez:
ya but unfurtunately, we get pushed to the wall on a daily base, are we supposed to be arrogant and rude on each of those times?
Not at all. But it sometimes get to a point we can no longer tolerate.

Back to the story........ I am enjoying every bit of it. Keep it up
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:22pm On Mar 05, 2015
Jeremy has had his own fair share of downs but it seems it would be safe to refer to them as ups cos he was at his lowest ebb. After storming out of his parents, he walked round the street with no destination in mind. He just had to clear his mind and sometimes, strolling could be therapeutic. Why was he even getting mad at the thought of him going abroad? Most of his friends would jump at the opportunity without batting an eyelid. What difference does it make if Michael was sponsoring his trip? If anything, he should be grateful to the dude and not rain insults on him.

But what kind of business was Michael into that could fetch him such amount of money in such a short period of time? Import and Export? Definitely not, the Michael he knew was too lazy to even tuck-in his school uniform not to talk of spearheading an import-export business. He had to talk to someone. Someone he could trust, who would give him a brotherly advice. Only one name came to his mind and that was Chukwudi.

Chukwudi had been his childhood friend and knew Michael very well. In fact, the name Michael would forever remain in the mind of every child who grew up in that neighborhood. Not for the right reasons though. If really curses had any effects, Michael should have been an epileptic, paralyzed, mad and above all a dead man cos that was the kind of curses he had received from kids. And as if to pee on a dead man’s grave, he went about bragging about his bravado which in the real sense was nothing more than a sheer show of cowardice.
Chukwudi lived just across the street but on this particular day, it seemed like a journey across the sahara. But like a man on an adventure to win the heart of the one he truly loved, Jeremy endured every bit of the pain. He reached Chukwudi’s house in time to see him settle for food.

‘’Mad man, wetin carry you come my house today abi you don see one fine chick wey you wan chyke?’’ chukwudi asked as soon as he saw Jeremy.

‘’mumu, na your greeting be that?’’ Jeremy frowned.

‘’you don the grow small bear bear na how you no go ask for greeting’’

‘’if na Michael now you for kneel down dey greet am o ‘’ Jeremy joked.

A frown quickly appeared on chukwudi’s face, followed by a brief smile and then a full scale laughter. Jeremy was amused and he also joined in the laughter.

‘’that boy na stupid boy na’’ chukwudi inferred.

‘’na because of him I come meet you sef’’

‘’wetin be that?’’ chukwudi asked, putting his food aside, seemed like he would need his full concentration.
Jeremy explained everything to chukwudi, stylishly removing the part where his mum had changed because of material gains. As much as he had grown to hate his parents, he still was their son and he still had that love a son would have for his mother.

‘’baba na how the matter be be that o’’ he concluded.
Chukwudi sighed. He was seriously thinking things. If Michael had gone abroad and made it within this short period of time then he had no doubts in his mind that he was involved in drugs. He had heard of them, he had seen them, heck he was even planning on joining them.

‘’remember when I told you I had dreamt and saw you manufacturing drugs?’’ chukwudi asked and Jeremy nodded. For chukwudi to switch to good English meant this was a serious matter. ‘’well I’m pretty sure it wasn’t hard drugs.’’

‘’Hard drugs? Jeremy asked with goose bumps on his skin. ‘’what has that got to do with this?’’

‘’you are actually dumber than you look’’

‘’well then, be a good friend and put me out of my ignorance’’

‘’Gladly’’

If there was a single thing Jeremy hated about chukwudi, it was his inability to read moods and know when not to play.

‘’Africans who go to Europe without a means of livelihood, more often than none, turn into drug smugglers’’ Chukwudi started his lecture.

‘’And that’s supposed to interest me, why? Because I’m African?’’ Jeremy interrupted.

‘’Will you stop talking and let me finish?’’

‘’gladly’’

‘’they normally start as small scale retailers on the streets until they climb up the ladder and start expanding their business. In no time, they’d need more hands. People to do the petty street retailing, and that’s when normally, they remember they have a country.’’
Jeremy yawned.

‘’can we please skip to the part of the story where Michael’s name was mentioned?’’

‘’I’m saying, that’s why Michael wants to take you to Europe. Think about it. What other purpose do you actually think you could serve in Europe except of course in smuggling kilos of coke. Your big belly can facilitate that.’’

‘’that’s not funny’’ Jeremy said, massaging his stomach.

‘’The truth is always bitter’’

‘’so what will you advice me to do?’’ Jeremy asked.

‘’I’d say you should go with him’’

‘’What, are you insane?’’

‘’think about it Jeremy, your parents feel they’ve helped you enough and it’s time for you to man-up and take the bold step. If you remain, you’ll not only be at war with your parents, but also be with yourself.’’

‘’so your clever plan for me to escape this is to become a drug dealer?’’

‘’Not exactly, If you you’re smart enough you won’t be on the street and before long, you’ll find something legitimate doing.’’ chuwudi advised.
‘’ What country did he say he was again?’’

‘’United States’’

‘’that’s not true. He’s in Europe, somewhere between Germany and Spain.’’

‘’And how’d you know that?’’

‘’only smart men do drugs in America, strong men do drugs in Europe. Michael is not smart, he is strong.’’

‘’so where do the cowards do drugs?’’ Jeremy asked.

‘’In Nigeria’’ chukwudi replied, bringing out a jumbo stick of marijuana.

‘’I always knew you were a coward’’

Chukwudi looked at his marijuana and smiled.
‘’this is not drugs. Drugs could get you killed but this here, my friend, would make you feel alright.’’

Jeremy smiled. He was going to follow his friend’s advice and pray something good comes out of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
mistahteepex:
adegwurulez the entertainer.. Still following
you're the best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Life On The Run: Season 5. Life In Amsterdam. / Boy Approaches Wole Soyinka During Train Ride, Asks For His Autograph (Video) / Hearts Of Steel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.