Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. (758 Views)

#edodecides: PDP Queries INEC For Not Declaring Results At Wards / Supreme Court Faults INEC For Partisan Role In Election Petition Cases / Photo: Is This Negligence Of Duty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by PhockPhockMan: 5:23pm On Mar 02, 2015
Three legal practitioners, Chijioke Emeka, Kalu Uduma and Emeka Odikpo, have accused the Independent National Electoral Commission of negligence in the handling of its data base which resulted in the loss of their information.

The lawyers, who approached a Federal High Court in Lagos, said they were unable to obtain their Permanent Voter Cards after being duly registered as they were told that their Information in INEC’s data base had been wiped out.

They therefore prayed the court to order INEC to unfailingly issue them their PVCs or make an alternative arrangement for them to enable them exercise their franchise.

They also want the court to hold that should they be excluded from the March 28 and April 11 elections due to no fault of theirs, they were entitled to legal damages.

The lawyers maintained that “based on the maxim ‘ubi jus ibi remedium’, the said breach of the plaintiffs’ civil and legal rights by exclusion from voting in the rescheduled elections…is a civil/legal wrong which is damnable in general damages.”

In the affidavit supporting their originating summons, the plaintiffs said they had been to their registration units severally wanting to obtain their PVCs to no avail only to be told eventually that their information was nowhere to be found in the records of INEC.

According to them, except the court came to their aid, their rights would be breached as a result of INEC’s “negligence or mismanagement of its data base or any other internal hitches” which resulted in the loss of data in the units in which they registered.

Justice Ibrahim Buba granted the plaintiffs the leave to serve the originating summons on INEC in Abuja.

The judge also abridged to eight days the time within which INEC may enter appearance in the suit.

Buba further ordered accelerated hearing of the suit in view of its urgency, and directed parties to file written addresses.

The matter was adjourned till March 16 for hearing.

http://www.punchng.com/news/pvc-lawyers-accuse-inec-of-negligence/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by freeanijor(m): 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2015
Why should INEC say that they are ready to conduct election Feb 14 meanwhile their was no solid preparation on ground? If there is any fraca arisen after the election come march INEC should be the couprit.

1 Like

Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 02, 2015
D very reason jega has to go for anoda competent person to take over from him! Jega has failed nigeria

1 Like

Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by PhockPhockMan: 6:36pm On Mar 02, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
D very reason jega has to go for anoda competent person to take over from him! Jega has failed nigeria
You're right.

1 Like

Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by OKKO(m): 7:20pm On Mar 02, 2015
Sincerely don't know what is happening, I have checked for my PVC in all registration areas, pulling units and even INEC office in my LGA yet I could not get it. Some ppl we registered together is same while others that queued in same line has gotten their. There is a big mix up somewhere.
Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by PhockPhockMan: 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
OKKO:
Sincerely don't know what is happening, I have checked for my PVC in all registration areas, pulling units and even INEC office in my LGA yet I could not get it. Some ppl we registered together is same while others that queued in same line has gotten their. There is a big mix up somewhere.
Jega and INEC messed up big time.
Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by tobechi20(m): 10:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
Charge and bail lawyers

1 Like

Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 02, 2015
three lawyers from ”one particular region” of the country that has always been filing court cases against INEC or general Buhari..... Ok now
Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by PhockPhockMan: 1:42am On Mar 03, 2015
kastonkastrol:
three lawyers from ”one particular region” of the country that has always been filing court cases against INEC or general Buhari..... Ok now
Are you crying?
Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by nzeadachie: 5:03am On Mar 03, 2015
JEGA MUST GO
Re: PVC: 3 Lawyers sue INEC for Negligence. by PhockPhockMan: 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2015
Nevada hie:
JEGA MUST GO
Yes o o.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Gloria Okon's Story On Front Page - Nairaland Becoming Filthy And Boring / Boko Haram's Leader Shekau To Be Replaced? / Effect Of Yemen, Iraq .libya And Syria Conflict On Oil Prices.and Dollar.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.