Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,761 members, 7,798,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora (18273 Views)

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? / How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Access Their Funds From 2016 With The CBN Policy? / Nigerians In Cameroon Deported In Cattle Trucks (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by RedCapChief(m): 9:48pm On Mar 02, 2015
I'm so not sure what to title this...if any of the mods has better title, then fire on

Year after year, people all over the world attempt to migrate to developed countries in search of the golden fleece. Many are coming from developing or underdeveloped countries and they intend to become ambassadors of their familes and communities, remitting hard currency to the hungry mouths they have left behind. When a young hot-blooded man from Nigeria realises that the minimum wage in the United Kingdom is about £6.50 an hour, the calculation that he could make nearly a thousand pounds every month is enough to spur him to sell his father's house and get a one-way ticket to come to 'jand and hustle'. After all, 1000GBP can make over 300,000 naira. Imagine making 300,000naira over 12 months!!! By the time he comes back to Nigeria, he should be a big boy.

The Travel pages of Nairaland are replete with individuals who are desirous of leaving Nigeria for anywhere. I literally mean anywhere. They will literally go anywhere in the developed world, from Quebec to Copenhagen to the faraway lands of Adelaide and Brisbane. There is absolutely nothing wrong in seeking for a ticket to a better life. Yours truly was (and is still) also a silent devourer of pages of Nairaland Travel information and I'm grateful to God everytime I think of my PR card resting somewhere.

The subject of this my write-up is mainly about the poor Nigerian éspirit de corp among Nigerians in the diaspora. I'm familiar with the attitude of the Indians and the Caribbeans in this regard. From my observation, it is so much easier for a Jew or and Indian or even a Somali to be 'helped' into the United states than it is for a Nigerian to make the jump. Even when they settle, they assist each other to get jobs and all other support mechanisms they'll require. Let's call our new Indian immigrant, Rajesh. Rajesh is filed for by an Uncle/Aunty in Ohio. He comes into the US and starts living with his Uncle while working at the petrol station of his Uncle's friend. Rajesh continues to climb, go to school, gets a degree and opens a restaurant where he can employ other new Indians who migrate. . .OR . . .Rajesh is smuggled into the United States and his relatives quickly find a legally landed immigrant for him to get married to. Some years after the marriage, Rajesh gets his green card and the marriage is dissolved, everybody is happy and the Indian community is +1. . . OR. . . Rajesh's uncle travels fro Houston to New Delhi to adopt all his Uncle's children. The children, who understand the sacrifice being made, study and make a success of themselves. Later, they file for their parents who are getting old and would benefit from American healthcare.

I understand the plight of many Nigerians who are reluctant to help other Nigerians migrate to better climes. I have heard of a few cases where Mr. A gives Mr. B his documents to work with and Mr. B goes ahead to put Mr.A in soup by getting in trouble with the law. The one thing you do not want to do is get in trouble with the establishment. They keep records and on the day of judgement, you go hear am! Many people who are sponsored, arrive and lose track of why they are in the States or the United Kingdom and they fall by the wayside, doing drugs or chasing some of those delightful destiny-destroying Jamaican girls. I have no problems with those who avoid people like this.

However, a candle loses nothing by lighting another. You may not have the resources to file for somebody, but ask questions about your relatives. That your brother's son who has just landed in the US, can you help with accommodation? Are you actively seeking for employment for the child of your kinsman who needs a job but doesn't know how to plough the system. Why not encourage your female relative to come to the United States and Canada and have that her baby? You should also provide financial encouragement o! The truth is that there are many Nigerians who just want to come and work hard. They want to maximise the opportunities availed to them by the system. It is not enough to sit in your fancy house in the US from January to November, then come back to Nigeria for Xmas, sharing small small dollars everywhere.

There are many ways we can help our nation grow. As destitute as Somalia is, it still receives millions in dollars in remittances from Somalis working in the United States. It is not only Senator Obanikoro that should benefit from having Nigerian & American citizenship, we can do it too.

Ka Chineke mezie okwu

ps: to all the NLders working hard to find legit means of finding a better life outside the shores of this house of Lord Lugard, may God bless your hustle

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 02, 2015
Nice write up... Hope they hear...

2 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by nellyhandsom(m): 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2015
RedCapChief:
I'm so not sure what to title this...if any of the mods has better title, then fire on

Year after year, people all over the world attempt to migrate to developed countries in search of the golden fleece. Many are coming from developing or underdeveloped countries and they intend to become ambassadors of their familes and communities, remitting hard currency to the hungry mouths they have left behind. When a young hot-blooded man from Nigeria realises that the minimum wage in the United Kingdom is about £6.50 an hour, the calculation that he could make nearly a thousand pounds every month is enough to spur him to sell his father's house and get a one-way ticket to come to 'jand and hustle'. After all, 1000GBP can make over 300,000 naira. Imagine making 300,000naira over 12 months!!! By the time he comes back to Nigeria, he should be a big boy.

The Travel pages of Nairaland are replete with individuals who are desirous of leaving Nigeria for anywhere. I literally mean anywhere. They will literally go anywhere in the developed world, from Quebec to Copenhagen to the faraway lands of Adelaide and Brisbane. There is absolutely nothing wrong in seeking for a ticket to a better life. Yours truly was (and is still) also a silent devourer of pages of Nairaland Travel information and I'm grateful to God everytime I think of my PR card resting somewhere.
The subject of this my small write-up is mainly about the poor Nigerian éspirit de corp among Nigerians in the diaspora. I'm familiar with the attitude of the Indians and the Caribbeans in this regard. From my observation, it is so much easier for a Jew or and Indian or even a Somali to be 'helped' into the United states than it is for a Nigerian to make the jump. Even when they settle, they assist each other to get jobs and all other support mechanisms they'll require. Let's call our new Indian immigrant, Rajesh. Rajesh is filed for by an Uncle/Aunty in Ohio. He comes into the US and starts living with his Uncle while working at the petrol station of his Uncle's friend. Rajesh continues to climb, go to school, gets a degree and opens a restaurant where he can employ other new Indians who migrate. . .OR . . .Rajesh is smuggled into the United States and his relatives quickly find a legally landed immigrant for him to get married to. Some years after the marriage, Rajesh gets his green card and the marriage is dissolved, everybody is happy and the Indian community is +1. . . OR. . . Rajesh's uncle travels fro Houston to New Delhi to adopt all his Uncle's children. The children, who understand the sacrifice being made, study and make a success of themselves. Later, they file for their parents who are getting old and would benefit from American healthcare.

I understand the plight of many Nigerians who are reluctant to help other Nigerians migrate to better climes. I have heard of a few cases where Mr. A gives Mr. B his documents to work with and Mr. B goes ahead to put Mr.A in soup by getting in trouble with the law. The one thing you do not want to do is get in trouble with the establishment. They keep records and on the day of judgement, you go hear am! Many people who are sponsored, come and lose track of why they are in the States or the United Kingdom and they fall by the wayside, doing drugs or chasing some of those delightful destiny-destroying Jamaican girls.

However, a candle loses nothing by lighting another. You may not have the resources to file for somebody, but ask questions about your relatives. That your brother's son who has just landed in the US, can you help with accommodation? Are you actively seeking for employment for the child of your kinsman who needs a job but doesn't know how to plough the system. Why not encourage your female relative to come to the United States and Canada and have that her baby? You should also provide financial encouragement o! It is not enough to sit in your fancy house in the US from January to November, then come back to Nigeria for Xmas, sharing small small dollars everywhere.

There are many ways we can help our nation grow. As destitute as Somalia is, it still receives millions in dollars in remittances from Somalis working in the United States. It is not only Senator Obanikoro that should benefit from having Nigerian & American citizenship, we can do it too.

Ka Chineke mezie okwu

ps: to all the NLders working hard to find legit means of finding a better life outside the shores of this house of Lord Lugard, may God bless your hustle

Nice writeup! keep it up brother!!!

8 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Desteenee(m): 10:23pm On Mar 02, 2015
Awesome.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiah01: 2:07am On Mar 03, 2015
The world will be a better place when we all learn to mind our own business instead of other people's.

2 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by RedCapChief(m): 11:24am On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:
The world will be a better place when we all learn to mind our own business instead of other people's.

When you keep minding your own business, pesin fit die inside his room and nobody will know.

EDIT: Boys, we made frontpage!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

http://www.unfriedgarri.

51 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 03, 2015
nellyhandsom:
Nice writeup! keep it up brother!!!

And you had to quote the whole damn post, just to write a few words?! undecided

35 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by chidexxy007(m): 2:09pm On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:
OK maybe u should explain wat u really mean by minding one's business wen u just replied another person's business

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2015
Some people are really helping,but some are not.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiah01: 4:49pm On Mar 03, 2015
RedCapChief:

When you keep minding your own business, pesin fit die inside his room and nobody will know.

where you die is inconsequential in view of the fact that everybody will die one way or another.

the dead know nothing.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiah01: 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2015
chidexxy007:

OK maybe u should explain wat u really mean by minding one's business wen u just replied another person's business

the person is in other people's business.

If HE wants to do whatever his epistle is about, then he should do that, instead of being judgmental over what doesnt concern him.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by chidexxy007(m): 6:44pm On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:

If HE wants to do whatever his epistle is about, then he should do that, instead of being judgmental over what doesnt concern him.
OK nw i get.... thanks 4 explaining wat u really meant by that....
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by RedCapChief(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2015
tpiah01:

Communities don't grow by 'everybody minding their own business'. The tons of advice people receive on Nairaland daily would be impossible if everybody simply decided to mind their own business. No man is an island. It is unfortunate that these kinds of attitudes still persist. If you feel this thread is poking into your business, i think you know where the 'Unfollow' button is.

And, yes, I do try to practice what I preach.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by itstpia8: 2:55am On Mar 04, 2015
since YOU practice whatever you say you are preaching, then leave others to also practice what THEY preach, or do you know the meaning of free choice. Must everybody "preach" like you, and why do you think you can boss it over others?

You are not qualified to judge anybody when you have not walked in their shoes.

Is your own definition of "helping" people limited to abroad? Na refugee dem be?

India that you're using as an example, has straightened out their own economy and turned it into a destination goal for many, they have almost every infrastructure that's found in the west and in addition, have cornered the IT market. Did they achieve this by telling their people the west was the only livable place on earth?

I'm not even going to mention China.

5 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 04, 2015
Some comments ehn,@OP,kudos,your write up is simple and straightforward not bossy as being depicted in the comments above,I will say this: The world is such a small place,seek advice from old and young,help as much as you can and never let the ungrateful ones deter you from helping.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 04, 2015
Dreamcome2ru:
Some comments ehn,@OP,kudos,your write up is simple and straightforward not bossy as being depicted in the comments above,I will say this: The world is such a small place,seek advice from old and young,help as much as you can and never let the ungrateful ones deter you from helping.

Gbam!!! cool

4 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 04, 2015
shinejackie:

Gbam!!! cool
It's a simple world bro
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 04, 2015
Dreamcome2ru:

It's a simple world bro
True.. wink
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by nellyhandsom(m): 8:52pm On Mar 04, 2015
Phema:

And you had to quote the whole thing just to write a few words? undecided
grin
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by sobastical: 6:26pm On Mar 05, 2015
I'm encouraged once again...bless you@op

4 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by igboboy3(m): 11:57pm On Mar 10, 2015
@justwise, this one is future FP tinz. .

Space purchased and fenced grin

4 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by malton: 8:58am On Oct 06, 2015
A little act of kindness goes a long way. Nigerians are the most accommodating people out there. Forget the religious or tribal intolerance being meted out on each other here on and in the real life. Truth is, when it comes down to it, deep down in our hearts, we are loving, caring, forgiving and willing to embrace long as we are assured the other party also means well. We give without expecting much in return. It resonates around the world that Nigerians are great people, it's evidently there for everyone to see. The first day you got lucky was the day you were born Nigerian!

One day, we will realise truly, the strength in our diversity and that there's power in the collective. My earnest prayer!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Pavore9: 9:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Helping out goes a long way.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 06, 2015
I think Nigerians are transferring their attitude win Nigeria down to US and UK.
The average mentality of the Nigerian in US or UK is " if he comes to join me now in US/UK, he won't know my value again and he won't worship me like he does when I come to naija so I'd rather keep sending him stipends in Nigeria"
Even in Nigeria, ur uncle's in big places, do they help? Asides from the hausa's that help

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by delishpot: 9:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Hmnnnn! To help no dey easy o. Nigerians can be so ungrateful and some will even put you in hot water.
The indians prolly dont put their benefactors in trouble after being helped.
All in all sha, when we see someone who is deserving of our help, we should help be it in Naija or abroad.

1 Like

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by damton(m): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2015
Moral of the lesson .Learn to be your brothers keeper.And throw away bigotry and excessive ethnic jingoism.

4 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by j4sure(m): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2015
haaaa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traffic Advisory: APC Presidential Campaign Rally Holds In Lagos Tomorrow / Passport Wahala / Japa: Man Fervently Prays On His Nigerian Passport For U.S Visa, Others (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.