Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,234 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:04 AM

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora (18243 Views)

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? / How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Access Their Funds From 2016 With The CBN Policy? / Nigerians In Cameroon Deported In Cattle Trucks (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiander: 10:52am On Oct 06, 2015
The bible says if you are doing anyone a favour, don't broadcast it. So, op and his ilk, do your favours and wait for your reward in heaven.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Intrepid01(m): 10:54am On Oct 06, 2015
bigtt76:
I hear you grin not generalizing it though. Some put in their best of the best behavior and end up being adopted by the diaspora but that's like one in a thousand or more but they're rare to find.

So what are you into? What's your career projections like in the next 5 years?

Ooh rily, she replied. thanks

I have worked in an International consulting firm here in Nigeria (One of the big 4, if you know what that means). presently working with an investment company here in lagos.

Career projections? To have become a seasoned professional with INTERNATIONAL experience, offering top-class advise to clients around the world.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by oluamid(m): 10:57am On Oct 06, 2015
Nice one OP.

Not that I have anything against trying to get to the "better shores", but I've never for once thought my success lies outside the shores of Nigeria. If Dangote and Adenuga can make it here, then I owe it to my unborn children to also give it a go. Many people come from outside the country to establish great and flourishing businesses here why can't the average Nigerian think along the same lines? The cost of traveling abroad alone is enough to set up a business in obodo Nigeria. Go to computer village and see success stories.

Think twice my broda, you can make it here too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by drt: 11:07am On Oct 06, 2015
I am the second medical doctor in my entire family, the first doctor, my uncle, finished from unilag in the 80s and emigrated to the U.K, he is now a consultant and director in his trust & of course, a U.K citizen. When I graduated from Unilorin, I was 21. He heard and was so excited, promised me that I'm not going to practice in Nigeria, he'll do all he can to make sure I do my specialty training in the U.K. 5 years down the lane, he doesnt pick even my calls again, call me or reply my emails. I'm not the kind of person that bothers people, so its not like I call him all the time, maybe a total of 8 times in the last three years. I have never even asked him for money, even when I was a broke medical student. I passed all the exams I need to practice in the U.K except for the last one which I have to write there. All I need from him is just an invitation letter & accomodation for a week. I am working and can afford flight and all, though my account is not healthy enough to apply for a visa but I have cash flow. I told him I want to come to come to the U.K for the exam, it took him three months to reply me and he sounded so uninterested. I called him thereafter on two different occasions, his secretary that picked noted down my name and said she'll have him call me back, he never did.

I'm just so surprised why he is behaving like that. He knows that if I come to the U.K, I'll be successful but he is not willing to help even in the slightest way. It is people like this that make me want to "make it" so well so I could prove to them that I can do it on my own. I have people offering to invite me to the U.K and act as my sponsor, but they are not family and we dont bear the same surname. From what I've been reading in the travel section of nairaland, I may be refused. I dont even want to apply for a visa until I am sure of getting it. Lord help me!

5 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiander: 11:09am On Oct 06, 2015
You say people are offering to help you but you are refusing because they "don't bear your surname"?

Fake story.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by drt: 11:16am On Oct 06, 2015
Thanks, you're entitled to your opinion. Im sure experts on visa issues know that a married man beign sponsored by a friend raises eyebrows and may be grounds for refusal especially if the married man's account is not healthy.
tpiander:
You say people are offering to help you but you are refusing because they "don't bear your surname"?

Fake story.

5 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiander: 11:24am On Oct 06, 2015
drt:
Thanks, you're entitled to your opinion. Im sure experts on visa issues know that a married man beign sponsored by a friend raises eyebrows and may be grounds for refusal especially if the married man's account is not healthy.

Keep badmouthing your family members then.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by pallybrown(m): 11:36am On Oct 06, 2015
nellyhandsom:

Nice writeup! keep it up brother!!!
Must u quote the whole write up before you comment
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Pzone: 11:39am On Oct 06, 2015
Mr. tpiander, what's the problem na? Why are you sounding so harsh. Can't you just ignore his post if you know you got a problem with it. He is only contributing to the thread, it has nothing to do with you. This is what is called "taking things personal"
tpiander:

Keep badmouthing your family members then.

3 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by 6fit(f): 11:48am On Oct 06, 2015
tpiah01:
The world will be a better place when we all learn to mind our own business instead of other people's.

if yur mama mind her business without going to open her legs to yur papa, dem go born u? Brainlessness na disease

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by blackborn7(m): 11:50am On Oct 06, 2015
RedCapChief:

Excellent post. infact i was forced to comment. I have several cousin,aunties and uncles littered all over the US. during christmas dey go just dey bring old $20 to share dey give us, im not been ungrateful. but they re ways they can enrich our lives by doing something meaningful. like the chinese proverb will say, dont give me fish, teach me how to fish.

I wish they could all see this post.

1 Like

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by tpiander: 11:50am On Oct 06, 2015
6fit:

if my mama mind her business without going to open her legs to my papa, dem go born me? My Brainlessness na disease

Try harder, this one didn't work.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by 6fit(f): 11:50am On Oct 06, 2015
pallybrown:
Must u quote the whole write up before you comment
abi oooo! Brainless dude
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by SkinnyDude(m): 11:55am On Oct 06, 2015
@drt
such is life. i stopped hoping on people, when my aunt who promised to give me a laptop, and also help in my school fees, disappointed me... i wasn't pained. she didn't owe anything.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by UKTAFIA(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2015
Nice Write up.. But from experience most are ungrateful and will put you in trouble because they don't really care even your own family member.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by ewizard1: 12:13pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nice write up! Kudos OP! May you also get help as willing to help another!

Besides...
I dont get some ph0ols talking about "Minding Business". For God sake, you just quoted someone who noted his opinion... You are not f***cking minding your own business too!

And yes, i know i'm not minding mine cos i'm talking about YOU!

#PhoolishPeopleonNLofLate
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by gwufrank: 12:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
Instead of condemnation, i will implore you to start with whatever you have that can be meaningful and let your people celebrate you as well! Get some help here......importbiz250k.info.....You too can make a difference
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by dustydee: 1:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
RedCapChief:
As much as I like helping people, I will not knowingly help an illegal immigrant to either find work or accommodation as it is against the law. I can assist with money either to buy food or ticket back home. You don't ruin your life/career/good name just because you want to "help" someone.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Intrepid01(m): 1:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
bigtt76:
Nice one! I would just like to quip in that the reason why many Nigerians are not willing to help other Nigerians when in the diaspora is manyly because let me put it this way ....'our eyes too choook'. When you help a fellow Nigerian, the next thing he or she is thinking of is how to 'hammer' or become better than the person helping him or her in the process, causing problems for the good Samaritan.

Just like you rightly mentioned, the Indians, Chinese and other Asians, help one another in the diaspora and go beyond by helping in bringing others on board too. This works for them because they're communal in nature. You will find out that a four bedroom bungalow rented by one Indian or Chinese will end up housing twenty of their compatriots whereas the same house type rented by a Nigerian will gather dust in the remaining rooms ...why because they're scared of bringing on board their compatriots because of reasons aforementioned.

I don't blame them really because we Nigerians are too judgemental without caring to find out why that person being judged is going about his affairs differently. It's either a case of Mr A is shopping at Primark in UK when he has enough money to shutdown Hacketts or Mr A is going on off-peak trains when he could afford to drive the latest benz in town etc. Mr A lives in one UK village when he can afford to live in one of the numerous towers in London. They would go as far as sending this reports back home and the home people will begin to wonder what is wrong with their son or daughter not sending them enough money despite all these austere lifestyle.

Mind you Mr. A is living that way because he's probably paying mortgage to ensure he lives a stress-free life. So my brothers and sisters its not that we don't want to help BUT its your orientation and attitude to life that is making us shy away.

Hey Madam, you seem to have ignored our conversation. I am so looking forward to a reply from you, But then...
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Intrepid01(m): 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2015
bigtt76:
Nice one! I would just like to quip in that the reason why many Nigerians are not willing to help other Nigerians when in the diaspora is manyly because let me put it this way ....'our eyes too choook'. When you help a fellow Nigerian, the next thing he or she is thinking of is how to 'hammer' or become better than the person helping him or her in the process, causing problems for the good Samaritan.

Just like you rightly mentioned, the Indians, Chinese and other Asians, help one another in the diaspora and go beyond by helping in bringing others on board too. This works for them because they're communal in nature. You will find out that a four bedroom bungalow rented by one Indian or Chinese will end up housing twenty of their compatriots whereas the same house type rented by a Nigerian will gather dust in the remaining rooms ...why because they're scared of bringing on board their compatriots because of reasons aforementioned.

I don't blame them really because we Nigerians are too judgemental without caring to find out why that person being judged is going about his affairs differently. It's either a case of Mr A is shopping at Primark in UK when he has enough money to shutdown Hacketts or Mr A is going on off-peak trains when he could afford to drive the latest benz in town etc. Mr A lives in one UK village when he can afford to live in one of the numerous towers in London. They would go as far as sending this reports back home and the home people will begin to wonder what is wrong with their son or daughter not sending them enough money despite all these austere lifestyle.

Mind you Mr. A is living that way because he's probably paying mortgage to ensure he lives a stress-free life. So my brothers and sisters its not that we don't want to help BUT its your orientation and attitude to life that is making us shy away.

Seriously you have ignored me? ookies, sorry for the disturbance. cheers
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by mikolo80: 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2015
itstpia8:
since YOU practice whatever you say you are preaching, then leave others to also practice what THEY preach, or do you know the meaning of free choice. Must everybody "preach" like you, and why do you think you can boss it over others?

You are not qualified to judge anybody when you have not walked in their shoes.

Is your own definition of "helping" people limited to abroad? Na refugee dem be?

India that you're using as an example, has straightened out their own economy and turned it into a destination goal for many, they have almost every infrastructure that's found in the west and in addition, have cornered the IT market. Did they achieve this by telling their people the west was the only livable place on earth?

I'm not even going to mention China.
Hahahahahaha
you go fear marketing and propaganda
China and India are very poor
they Just show their own lekki and asokoro
and they have 10 times cos of their population
yes they are trying more than us but make mo mistake
they have the same 70% poverty
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by itoese(m): 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2015
I appreciate this write up.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by sonnie10: 6:27pm On Oct 06, 2015
This story happened to someone I know.

He went for shopping at one of the big malls since he had 50% off Every Purchase store card. When he had finished shopping he joined the queue to pay, that was when he came across this NIja girl who was waiting to check-out too. Normally, it would be hard to miss nija people when you see them, except you just want to ignore him/her which is what most people do. But in this case, they started talking. In the process, the man told her that he had a discount card so she could benefit from it. She was going to buy a hand bag worth $250, but with the card, she would only have to pay $125. Nice gesture from a good brother right? They agreed and she gave him the $125 in cash but what happened next at the check-out counter was shocking.

As the man handed the bag to the cashier and it was ranged, the cashier felt something hard in one of the side pockets and then decided to check. Lo and behold, there was a female designers wristwatch worth over a thousand nicely tucked deep down there. The cashier asked the man for explanation but he didn't have any since it was not his bag in the first place.

On noticing what was happening, the lady just walked away leaving the man with the store people. To cut the story short, the store called police, and the man was arrested and charge with shoplifting. He spent 2 months in jail, lost his job and since then, have not been able to find employment.

1 Like

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
rothmas21:

Well Said!!!!

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart

Hebrews 13:1 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Though my belief is quite different,but i believe all religions preach love.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by otiigba1(m): 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
Rubbish! I am not helping any nigerian the last time i did that it landed me in prison angry
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by RedCapChief(m): 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
dustydee:

As much as I like helping people, I will not knowingly help an illegal immigrant to either find work or accommodation as it is against the law. I can assist with money either to buy food or ticket back home. You don't ruin your life/career/good name just because you want to "help" someone.

I would never advocate anything that would put you on the wrong side of the law. That's tantamount to allowing a sinking man to drag you into the pit.
I'm talking of people who genuinely want to find their feet and make an honest living
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by RedCapChief(m): 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2015
drt:
I am the second medical doctor in my entire family, the first doctor, my uncle, finished from unilag in the 80s and emigrated to the U.K, he is now a consultant and director in his trust & of course, a U.K citizen. When I graduated from Unilorin, I was 21. He heard and was so excited, promised me that I'm not going to practice in Nigeria, he'll do all he can to make sure I do my specialty training in the U.K. 5 years down the lane, he doesnt pick even my calls again, call me or reply my emails. I'm not the kind of person that bothers people, so its not like I call him all the time, maybe a total of 8 times in the last three years. I have never even asked him for money, even when I was a broke medical student. I passed all the exams I need to practice in the U.K except for the last one which I have to write there. All I need from him is just an invitation letter & accomodation for a week. I am working and can afford flight and all, though my account is not healthy enough to apply for a visa but I have cash flow. I told him I want to come to come to the U.K for the exam, it took him three months to reply me and he sounded so uninterested. I called him thereafter on two different occasions, his secretary that picked noted down my name and said she'll have him call me back, he never did.

I'm just so surprised why he is behaving like that. He knows that if I come to the U.K, I'll be successful but he is not willing to help even in the slightest way. It is people like this that make me want to "make it" so well so I could prove to them that I can do it on my own. . .

Sorry to hear your tale.

There's something very peculiar about the UK and I don't understand it yet. It is not being parsimonius or tight- fisted, just an extreme form of self-centrism. My cousin had a similar problem when he was looking for accommodation in the UK to do his clinical attachment. I've seen good friends fall apart over there because of something like this so I'm honestly not surprised at your uncle's behaviour. Just keep in touch with him regularly but don't ask him for anything. Keep working hard and praying to make your dreams come true.

otiigba1:
Rubbish! I am not helping any nigerian the last time i did that it landed me in prison angry

Boda mi!! Give us deets, let's dissect the matter
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by otiigba1(m): 7:24pm On Oct 06, 2015
RedCapChief:

Sorry to hear your tale.

There's something very peculiar about the UK and I don't understand it yet. It is not being parsimonius or tight- fisted, just an extreme form of self-centrism. My cousin had a similar problem when he was looking for accommodation in the UK to do his clinical attachment. I've seen good friends fall apart over there because of something like this so I'm honestly not surprised at your uncle's behaviour. Just keep in touch with him regularly but don't ask him for anything. Keep working hard and praying to make your dreams come true.

Boda mi!! Give us deets, let's dissect the matter
used my address for scams, (yahoo yahoo) and credit card frauds, i lost my mortgaged house as a result, got 16 months in prison because i could not proof i wasn't me. Now he is on the run from me, if i ever set eyes on him, HE IS As GOOD AS DeAd angry
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by dustydee: 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
RedCapChief:

I would never advocate anything that would put you on the wrong side of the law. That's tantamount to allowing a sinking man to drag you into the pit.
I'm talking of people who genuinely want to find their feet and make an honest living
I try to support people with legitimate intentions as much as I can.
Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by onyebuchiii(m): 7:56pm On Oct 06, 2015
You are not qualified to judge anybody when you have not walked in their shoes. .....oga abegg go and rest and let those that need dis wonderful advice be ......the op is 100% right in what he is saying. we should be there for one another!

2 Likes

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by Airfoce1(m): 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nigerian don't trust nigerians.hard to help

1 Like

Re: Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora by aspirebig: 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2015
drt:

I'm just so surprised why he is behaving like that. He knows that if I come to the U.K, I'll be successful but he is not willing to help even in the slightest way. It is people like this that make me want to "make it" so well so I could prove to them that I can do it on my own. I have people offering to invite me to the U.K and act as my sponsor, but they are not family and we dont bear the same surname. From what I've been reading in the travel section of nairaland, I may be refused. I dont even want to apply for a visa until I am sure of getting it. Lord help me!

God never fail, dont give up bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Air Peace Begins Flight Operations From Lagos To Akure Tomorrow / Traffic Advisory: APC Presidential Campaign Rally Holds In Lagos Tomorrow / Accident Along Ota-Abeokuta Expressway As Trailer Rams Into Motorcycle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.