Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (891505 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 03, 2015
I have a family I plan to stay with in Katy but I don't want to travel alone.
firsttymum:

Yer! But Katy? I'm lost
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Shawbabe: 1:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
Newmum15:
@shawbabe pls did you have to pay anything in advance to Northside before delivery?Got a letter saying I have to pay 2 to 3 weeks before delivery.

I paid 3 months b4 I was due sef. U should have paid since bcoz that's how u get the 75% discount. U are supposed to pay 30 days b4 ur due date to qualify I believe. So pay asap
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 1:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
Shawbabe:

I paid 3 months b4 I was due sef. U should have paid since bcoz that's how u get the 75% discount. U are supposed to pay 30 days b4 ur due date to qualify I believe. So pay asap
I didn't know.Alright then,thanks a lot.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Shawbabe: 1:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nita2013:
Hello Shawbabe, i read few pages back that you did naija passport for ur LO. Please can you explain the process? Many thanks.

Nne the process no be here oh. It's long and tasking but I'll try write as much as possible to make sense.

1) go to the Nigerian embassy website (google it ) and fill out application for passport.

2) print out the filled form and go to Innovate1 services website with ur ref number and pay. It's $77. If the site is down as usual, then u have to do money order at the post office addressed to them. And another $30 addressed to Nigerian embassy for processing fee. Write ref number on money order and send off to Innovate services.

3) email them to expect ur money order and update ur application online. Once that's done, go at 10am to Nigerian embassy at Roswell with ur print out and payment confirmation page. With ur baby, 1 passport photo, parents consent and data pages.

4) if u meet sane people that day, u can leave with the passport, if not it takes 2 days.

If I remember any step I missed I'll write it later

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 1:41pm On Jul 03, 2015
olokings:

hi terese69..
when u hitting the airways for ur trip....
seems we in the same boat....

10 days before you... smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 1:44pm On Jul 03, 2015
Terese69:

10 days before you... smiley

okey then.. thats kool..
apparently #spykid got me taking a whole new perspective into scaning the net for new better deals as regards accommodation in dallas and i must say i have found a few.

guess whats left now is to place calls over to them and see what happens there on..

have a safe flight n smooth POE experience..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nita2013: 1:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
kiss

[quote author=Shawbabe post=35437237]

Nne the process no be here oh. It's long and tasking but I'll try write as much as possible to make sense.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justwise(m): 1:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
glassy2606:
House please does anyone have the email I can reach justwise on.A mail or number will be appreciated.thanks all

PM will do if it's something private else ask me here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by zeezahbee(f): 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2015
modath:

You mean with, & to call a spade a shovel, thst sis aint planning to returning..
cheesy grin grin
If people actually know america is not as we watch on TV.
Reality stuck when you land and you will be like mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by HotChoco2(f): 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hello House,

I arrived the U.S. Yesterday after leaving Lagos on Tuesday night. My story goes thus...
Booked KLM LOS-AMS-DFW de cause I wanted to see my friend for a few days before proceeding to Houston. Arrived Amsterdam on time and waited over 4 hours as scheduled for the next flight. When it was time to board, we were told the left engine of the plane wasn't working so there's a delay that they would try to fix and get back to work. We waited another 4 hours and the plane did not work so we were told to go to an hotel and we would be rebooked for the next day.
Because I did not have a Schengen visa, I had to go to the immigration office to process 1 day visa which took almost 3 hours. My flight was rebooked to AMS-Boston-Dallas (Israelites' journey).
Got to the airport yesterday and boarded the delta flight to Boston and American Airlines for Dallas...plz note that there were long layovers o!
So my POE was Boston...at Boston stood in line for so long, on Good Samaritan gave me his space right in front and took mine, we had like 20 people in line between us.
Cbp 1: why are you here?
Me: vacation and childbirth
Cbp1: do you have a correspondence from your doc/hospital?
Me: I gave him the emails and attachment from Dr Fagbohun.
Cbp1: how much do you have?
Me: $5k cash and $10k in my Boa account
Cbp1: have you been to the U.S. Before?
Me: yes, last year
Then a small woman ( supervisor) was passing and he decided to run it by her. She came into the cubicle and he briefed her.
Cbp2: why do you want to have your baby here?
Me: cuz I had a miscarriage after my 1st baby and better opportunities
She then whispers to the guy after taking a second look at the email from Dr Fagbohun and said it looked "Bogus" cuz it was via yahoo and not his official email. Cbp1 asked her what he should do and she said its up to him to take the decision. So he began to type and said he would send me for secondary inspection. Told me to step aside and asked a guy in the radio to come pick me.
I got into sec inspection and met 3 people there. It got to my turn and I went to the counter
Cbp3: where were you born?
Me: Lagos, Nigeria
Cbp3: can I see your Dr's email
Me: I handed the document to him
Cbp3: reviewed it and asked if I showed them outside and I said yes. Who are you staying with in Houston?
Me: renting an apartment
Cbp3: why Houston?
Me: the weather is like Lagos and the hospital quote I got was reasonable ( he then joked and said why not Boston that their weather is good too)
Cbo3: have you been to the U.S. Before?
Me: yes with my husband n daughter last year
Cbp3: will he be coming?
Me: yes, in August.
Cbp3: stamped my passport for 6 months and told me to pick my luggage outside.

Tips
Always say the truth
Do not panic
Rely on the Holy Spirit to grant you favour
Plan well.
For those still planning, if you can get Dr Fagbohun to use his work email for you, it would be nice.

I will mention it to him during my first appointment.

I'm also grateful to God for strength for me and my baby to go through this without any effects.

My Gid that delivers completely #agbanilagbatan... I am grateful.

I hope my experience can help someone.

Cheers.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by domrita: 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2015
shelly23:
You need a copy of the BC, not original. There's no expedited service, just send it with a priority express envelope which is more or less overnight (I guess that's the expedited service you're referring to).

You have to send your money order to innovate services first and they'll send you a confirmation email. Print the email (that's your proof of payment) and include with all the other documents then send to the Nigerian embassy. Just make sure you include a priority express envelope with the documents so they can send it back to you overnight.
Hope I haven't confused you sha.

Hi shelly23 pls i need your help. i have sent you a pm.thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 2:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
HotChoco2:
Hello House,

I arrived the U.S. Yesterday after leaving Lagos on Tuesday night. My story goes thus...
Booked KLM LOS-AMS-DFW de cause I wanted to see my friend for a few days before proceeding to Houston.

I hope my experience can help someone.

Cheers.

Congratulations ooooo... I tap into ur favor

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 2:24pm On Jul 03, 2015
olokings:

okey then.. thats kool..
apparently #spykid got me taking a whole new perspective into scaning the net for new better deals as regards accommodation in dallas and i must say i have found a few.

guess whats left now is to place calls over to them and see what happens there on..

have a safe flight n smooth POE experience..

Oh that's great. Did you find any cheaper docs/hospitals too or are you still banking on Dr. Michael?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 9jabiggurl: 2:41pm On Jul 03, 2015
I share your view on this.

I felt that way too on my initial visit to the USA..... but then we would always go back there for the sake of giving our precious little one an alternative in future.

zeezahbee:
cheesy grin grin
If people actually know america is not as we watch on TV.
Reality stuck when you land and you will be like mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MamaTrust: 2:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
Is there anyone coming to Houston in sept/October. I have an accommodation I will like to share. Send me a pm
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 2:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
Terese69:

Oh that's great. Did you find any cheaper docs/hospitals too or are you still banking on Dr. Michael?

at the moment.. i am sticking with Doctors Hospital Dallas and gonna hang on to Michael.

although when i arrive dallas i ll take a day or two to finalise options on physicians before checking in with dr. michael.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 2:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
olokings:

at the moment.. i am sticking with Doctors Hospital Dallas and gonna hang on to Michael.

although when i arrive dallas i ll take a day or two to finalise options on physicians before checking in with dr. michael.

Same here. Will keep you posted on my findings.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bolijiks: 3:06pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this, just heard about this platform from a friend during antenatal and really impressed. I am an August/Sept mom, i have already obtained my visa and would be using MIHS at Phoenix. But the challenge right now is accommodation. Can you please advise me on the best option that would be close to the hospital preferably 2525 E. Rosevelt St and also price efficient.

Chicago is my POE, I read about a preview earlier and i'm wondering 'Oh my God'.
I hope they are not as mean cos I have just 2hrs waiting time to my next flight to Phoenix.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
MamaTrust:
Is there anyone coming to Houston in sept/October. I have an accommodation I will like to share. Send me a pm

Ma'm I am
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 4:25pm On Jul 03, 2015
I replied already

domrita:

Hi shelly23 pls i need your help. i have sent you a pm.thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by TeesMom: 4:53pm On Jul 03, 2015
MamaTrust:

Sent a pm already
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by koko83: 4:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
hotmummy2015:

I must find ds PTA oh 2 weeks to travel date, this one that black market don reach 230. Jesus is Lord

lol it is only diamond and fidelity selling. please any newyork mum due in sept in the hse
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by koko83: 5:00pm On Jul 03, 2015
Please did you have to get a uk visa or transit to pass thru heathrow ans how was your experience at heathrow cos am also flying BA
princezino:
Hi All,
We arrived Dallas last week Friday on BA from LOS-LHR-DFW. POE was a breeze. With wifey and 2 kids. In reply to customary first question, replied that we were here for vacation and to have our baby. Asked if we had made prior medical arrangements, replied that we had contacted Docs, hospitals etc and that we had funds available to pay. Asked where I work.. Replied. End of story. Stamped in for 6 months. Wifey didn't even whisper a word... God is really awesome! In all the trip was exhausting but exhilarating. We declared food but bags weren't checked... those folks seemed quite bored that morning. We shuffled out and used the free shuttle to the Rental Centre to pick up our Rental. Within one hour we were on our way to Mesquite. (National will accept your Nigerian drivers license and Nigerian bank debit card. Just make sure you have your travel tickets printout available to show your outward travel date. Without a data plan, your smartphones Google maps will be useless for navigation. I had to rent a GPS device for $9/day.)

We had gotten a serviced aparthotel (2 BR with 2full bath + kitchenette). Free High speed internet, Cable, Telephone (local/US trunk) All bills inclusive, includes daily cleaning service with breakfast and 5-day dinner service. Laundry is coin-operated. All for $70/day longstay.. The place is a dream. Uber works very well in Dallas and nearby cities so movement wouldn't be hard for wifey.

Wifey's network directed us to a fantastic African/Nigerian shop in Garland. Well stocked with our peculiar delicacies.. even goat meat. enough palm oil, maggi, knorr and even Nigerian Peak powder.

Visited ObyGyn for first scheduled appointment. By the grace of God all is still okay. Now the wait begins for her. MIL arrives in a week.. then I can finally pass the baton and go back to rejoin the Lagos rat race till baby's grand entrance week. #SigningOut folks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by princezino(m): 6:20pm On Jul 03, 2015
Lolz... NYC ke? East coast is another matter o. Its actually a part of the Wyndham chain hotel. This one we are in is called Hawthorn Suites. You can google it around your expected location. Online, the rack rates were about 100/night. However, always pick up the phone and call any facility you are interested in. When I arrived, we were told that in the state of Texas, hotel taxes are reimbursed after 30 days of continuous stay for stay credits. In all for 30 day minimum stay in the facility we're staying its $2,220/month after credits. The place is split level individualized apartments. The Facility has got swimming pool and tennis court. The breakfast is not wow (usual oyibo fare, but at least the eggs and cereals are real lolz; Waffles are not our thing). Dinner is 5 days a week. not gourmet, but its worth those days you do not want to cook. However its buffet..so u have to trudge down to the dinning room. A Walmart is down the freeway and sprinkling of shops near by.

spykid014:

Congrats on your grand arrival. And safe delivery to your wifey.

Ejoor, what's the name/website of this 'aparthotel'? For $70/night? Wow! Please share the name abeg, hopefully they will have a branch in NYC.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by yuugo: 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2015
Shawbabe:

Pls how much did your bill cost after the 75% discount.

Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
bolijiks:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this, just heard about this platform from a friend during antenatal and really impressed. I am an August/Sept mom, i have already obtained my visa and would be using MIHS at Phoenix. But the challenge right now is accommodation. Can you please advise me on the best option that would be close to the hospital preferably 2525 E. Rosevelt St and also price efficient.

Chicago is my POE, I read about a preview earlier and i'm wondering 'Oh my God'.
I hope they are not as mean cos I have just 2hrs waiting time to my next flight to Phoenix.

Say whaaaattt!
You will read psalms tire or do invisibility cloak Harry Potter style. Lol! If you haven't bought your ticket please buy BA to Phoenix via London so you can have peace. Chicago will most definitely detain you for some hours and after plenty screening, they will decide to stamp you.
Your CASH (not less than $5k, better still over $10k) your burden of proof and prayers will set you free grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
koko83:
Please did you have to get a uk visa or transit to pass thru heathrow ans how was your experience at heathrow cos am also flying BA

No you don't need a transit visa flying BA to USA
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by zeezahbee(f): 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2015
nefertitiram:
grin

Say whaaaattt!
You will read psalms tire or do invisibility cloak Harry Potter style. Lol! If you haven't bought your ticket please buy BA to Phoenix via London so you can have peace. Chicago will most definitely detain you for some hours and after plenty screening, they will decide to stamp you.
Your CASH (not less than $5k, better still over $10k) your burden of proof and prayers will set you free grin
This is hilarious

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by spykid014(f): 7:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
princezino:
Lolz... NYC ke? East coast is another matter o. Its actually a part of the Wyndham chain hotel. This one we are in is called Hawthorn Suites. You can google it around your expected location. Online, the rack rates were about 100/night. However, always pick up the phone and call any facility you are interested in. When I arrived, we were told that in the state of Texas, hotel taxes are reimbursed after 30 days of continuous stay for stay credits. In all for 30 day minimum stay in the facility we're staying its $2,220/month after credits. The place is split level individualized apartments. The Facility has got swimming pool and tennis court. The breakfast is not wow (usual oyibo fare, but at least the eggs and cereals are real lolz; Waffles are not our thing). Dinner is 5 days a week. not gourmet, but its worth those days you do not want to cook. However its buffet..so u have to trudge down to the dinning room. A Walmart is down the freeway and sprinkling of shops near by.

Alright, Thanks. Will check it out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
bolijiks:
Hello everyone,

Chicago Poe is "meaner" than your wildest imagination, I'm going to say:

1.Reschedule your local flight top leave not earlier than 4-5hrs, you can't avoid Q&A

2.Make sure your burden of proof is strong.

3. If you can, re-route your ticket, save yourself the stress if chicago isn't your final stop, I only did cos it was mine....

I was with with them for 3hrs+& saw them put people through hell, someone respectfully informed one agent he had a flight to catch & he was expressly told to return to his seat as his case is/was not "peculiar"..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 8:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
MamaTrust:

Saw ur email ... Waiting for ur reply

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.