Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode (1161 Views)

My Present Family Dilemma,,,please I Need Opinions / How Do I Get Out Of My Present Dilemma? / My Sister Is Married To The Most Chronic Cheat Ever. Please I Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 9:29am On Mar 03, 2015
...!
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by mutter(f): 9:43am On Mar 03, 2015
Your Landlord has every right to ask you to leave.
You told him you were leaving and it is possible he has re rented the place. He might even have signed a new contract.

He can`t just throw you out- but nothing is not possible in Nigeria.

The option he gave you the first time was very fair. For you to pay one months rent or let the agents show the place to possible tenants.
Your forced your way on him without any compromise.
Now you need to go back to your Landlord and seek a compromise. You can sub- let the place when you move out.
Alternatively you may be able to present the Landlord with someone responsible who is willing to rent the place immediately you leave

3 Likes

Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by menix(m): 9:51am On Mar 03, 2015
Well i get ur plight buh since u were not certain 6month rent wuld ve done d magic, even if u leave b4 then it wont mk u less.

Go bak to him nd negotiate making it up to 6 month, if he refuses keep calm.

If its in lagos, he wuld certainly give u a 3-6month quit notice cous he cant jst vacate u unceremoniously.

Buh i doubt if dat man wuld give u any quit notice nd i hope he aint a jazz man cous nah u go run.

Once more negotiate wiv him buh it wuld b silly if at d end u still there. Instead pay ur complete rent wen u leaving lock d door until ur rent expires.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by 5minsmadness: 10:00am On Mar 03, 2015
Sorry op but you are in the wrong in this.
What will happen if in two months time again the new branch tells you they are not ready that you should wait another 3months? You'll go and meet the landlord again? Haba.

The options he gave you were reasonable but you pushed your will on him. Pls don't hold his apartment ransom. Pay for at least 6months if you can't pay for a year. Then if the other branch delays neither of you will have heart-attack over it. And like the guy above me said, if you want you can lock the room until your rent expires.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by adanduka: 10:11am On Mar 03, 2015
5minsmadness:
Sorry op but you are in the wrong in this.
What will happen if in two months time again the new branch tells you they are not ready that you should wait another 3months? You'll go and meet the landlord again? Haba.

The options he gave you were reasonable but you pushed your will on him. Pls don't hold his apartment ransom. Pay for at least 6months if you can't pay for a year. Then if the other branch delays neither of you will have heart-attack over it. And like the guy above me said, if you want you can lock the room until your rent expires.

I agree. Talk with your landlord and pay 6 months rent. House investment isn't Ankara business so you don't expect him to be collecting rent in pieces like that. Put yourself in his shoes.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by slimyem: 10:14am On Mar 03, 2015
I don't know much about tenancy laws and I doubt they can be enforced in this country.
From what I gather,your landlord has been quite reasonable so far and you could have him pacified if you try a little harder. 6 months rent like others have suggested perhaps?

I must say you made your decisions with not quite a lot of certainty.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2015
All your contributions are duely noted buh it was some things that actually happened along the line which resulted into the unreadiness of the branch. it was so certain then and the sincere truth now is that am not happy with the present state of things too coz i also made plans ahead with the thought that the branch would be ready on the earlier said date.
Secondly, paying for 6 months then didn't appear to make sense coz the amount of money we are talking about here isn't small due to the high cost of renting an apartment here.
Finally, i doubt if this man will be ready to go with 6 months rent if at all coz he was hell bent on the 1 year full rent.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 04, 2015
So inshort, you want to stay in his house for free. I hope you know the law of karma, if you are lucky enough to become a landlord in the future your tenants will be staying in your house for free and telling you about eviction laws.

Go to him, apologise sincerely and pay him 6 months, he will surely accept.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 8:35pm On Mar 04, 2015
Now I have met with him this evening and he is still hell bent on me paying him 1 year full rent or vacate the apartment by weekend (Coz the rent expires on the 8th) which I know it's not possible. And sincerely am also trying my best to be as plain n clean as I can be here buh this dude ain't forthcoming, Imagine him asking me to leave the house within days like say na goat him dey chase and that has prompted me to go through the agreement form he gave to me when I moved in which has a part stating that "Any party that wishes to determine the tenancy relationship hereby created shall give three months written notice to the other party".
I agree it's his property buh there are some things I believe that shouldn't be @ all, More so the both of us as lettered fellows. Thanks y'all
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by nikkyshyne(f): 11:40pm On Mar 04, 2015
Right now, you have already cancelled your yearly tenancy to a monthly tenancy which has nullified a 3months intention to leave or quit the premises. That agreement was based on being a yearly tenant whereby tenant is fulfilling his obligation paying yearly.

There was a breach in agreement on your part albeit oral. Since landlord is hell bent on you paying in advance for any month you are likely to owe over with an option of only a year advancement, then my dear, go ahead and pay for a year. When you are ready to leave, sublet the apartment with his consent. If you can't take up the responsibility of sub letting, let him do that himself and reimburse you. Obviously you might be shot changed considering the period of void.

If you can't gather the full payment, gather six months rent and beg him to accept it still you get the remaining say in 2 or 3 months. In this way, you have enough time for the branch to make up their mind so you bolt asap.

(1) (Reply)

Help Maureen With A Corrective Heart Surgery / Let's Share Our New Month greetings Here To Our Fellow Nairalanders / Too Close To The Sister-in-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.