Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? (5006 Views)

Masters Or Stay On Job? / Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by mixedgene: 1:14am On Mar 04, 2015
I got talking with a couple of academician individually and at separate times, including a PhD holder, a University Lecturer, et al recently, about the possibility of changing ones line of career or discipline for the purpose of Masters degree and pro'ly PhD. Surprisingly, they were of different views even though from same tertiary institution, this is why I have come here to ask about it and hopefully to clear all doubts.

What are the chances of studying a particular course as First Degree (B.Sc) and changing to another course for Masters Degree without having to under-go Post Graduate studies first, even with a Second Class Upper (2:1) ?

In simple question, what am asking for instance is, can't one study Theatre Arts as first degree and BioChemistry for Masters degree directly without having to do a PGD first with a 2:1 or even a 2:2.

Anyone with a clear understanding of how these career changes works both in Nigeria and outside should please render their advises.

General views are also appreciated.

Thank you
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by Greatken007(m): 3:36am On Mar 04, 2015
on my own view, d disciplines you mentioned do not correlate and so if I am in a position to decide your case i won't give it to you ....It is only easier and acceptable when engineers and few other science disciplines are doing d shift.My coursemate who we read mechanical engineering together is nw doing his master in public Administration ... It is an academic crime to move from Public Administration to Mechanical engineering .... Hw you wan take do am,
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by sawg91(m): 12:33pm On Mar 04, 2015
@op...ur questions is synonymous to this "is it possible to relocate from hell to paradise after rapture".......please accept what you have got and if you really need the course, start all over again.

1 Like

Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by mixedgene: 11:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
Greatken007:
on my own view, d disciplines you mentioned do not correlate and so if I am in a position to decide your case i won't give it to you ....It is only easier and acceptable when engineers and few other science disciplines are doing d shift.My coursemate who we read mechanical engineering together is nw doing his master in public Administration ... It is an academic crime to move from Public Administration to Mechanical engineering .... Hw you wan take do am,

is this limited to just science and engineers and why is this so?
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by Greatken007(m): 6:08am On Mar 05, 2015
cocrodile and Lizards look alike but they are not mate... Sciences is not just reading and understanding... They are base on laws and principles.. That is where d word pre-requisite originated from....for you to understand Isothermal and isenthropic you must visit your boyles and charles law...abi na for velocity time graph you wan start from?Moreover, all these aside if you want to go to academics and few other career paths you must finish watin you start... They don't accept such

2 Likes

Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by mixedgene: 9:18am On Mar 05, 2015
Hmmmn, more views please
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by mixedgene: 10:48pm On Nov 04, 2015
Hello
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by spicyuzo(m): 12:25am On Nov 05, 2015
@OP I think the kind of change you seek requires a PGD.

I'm certain that one can change between related fields such as from Electrical Engineering to say Info.Tech or Compt Science and the likes without a PGD , but a drastic change like the one you pointed out is a tough call and I think its a long shot.

In any case, I also want to believe that a sterling academic record in your present career field might somehow bend the rules in your favour.

3 Likes

Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by mixedgene: 9:37am On Jan 04, 2016
Thanks spicy
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by erne: 11:04am On Jan 04, 2016
Enhance Your Career with A Professional Certificate in PUBLIC RELATIONS!

Public Relations Lectures Towards BSC / MSC / NYSC CERTIFICATION

SYMMETRIC PR & ADVERTISING is seeking for candidates to enroll in for the NIPR/BEEC Professional Certificate in PUBLIC RELATIONS. The Course is Based in Nigeria and After The Course, Participants Are Awarded Certificates By The Relevant Professional Bodies; NIPR/BEEC.

BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME/CERTIFICATE
(i) B.Sc Equivalent.
(ii) NYSC Exemption Letter.
(iii) Further Studies in Nigerian/Foreign Universities.
(iv) Exhibition of New PR Competences.
(v) Ability to Work in any Industry
(vi) In-depth Understanding of The PR Function.
(vii) Qualifies You For B.Sc, PGD, M.Sc admission

EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates with SSCE / GCE / OND / NCE / HND / BSC or other qualifications are encouraged to enroll for this course.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested candidates should contact: 08139458588

ENQUIRIES
Tel: 08139458588
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by PresVA: 11:39am On Jan 04, 2016
In developed countries you'll be allowed if you already have some working experience in the new field you want to master...
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by nmadu1: 6:39pm On Nov 04, 2016
can I change from crop production to agric engineering (crop processing option)?? through pgd
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by Olamy17: 3:05pm On Jul 24, 2017
I studied French at the university nd graduated with a 2.1...now I want to go for masters in international relations in Canada but people I hv spoken to keep saying dat I can't change disciplines cos I thought one could change disciplines during masters since I'm not changing from art to core sciences..pls I need ur advice on wat to do...also I do not want to be in d academics....doing dis for professional reasons
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by musicjyoung(m): 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2020
Good evening everyone ,please am here AS a first timer , though me and my wife have gone to the uk 3 times and now she wishes to study in uni in scotland,she studied accounting in bsc 2nd class upper , but shes looking at studying GLOBAL HOSPITALITY MGT because of the hotel biz we plan opening after our return . my questions are ( would they grant her visa based on the course deviation also we are wondering if they will grant her visa if she wants to go with me and the two kids as dependants? i really dont know how to begin.
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by Antimusic: 11:27am On Jun 03, 2021
My utmost regard.
I am currently studying mathematics in the university as an undergraduate. I don't know if I could switch to physics for my MSC program. Is the change permissible without passing through PGD?
Thanks.
Re: Career Changes For Masters Without PGD, How Possible? by MrHighSea: 5:30am On Jun 04, 2021
Since 2015, the OP must have gone past this.

Like my guy above, you have to audit those courses that are in your intended department but you never did them in the department you're coming from. Most times this is under the purview of the Head of department. HOD decides.

It's for your own good, if not you won't perform well.

Moving from Maths to Physics.
They're related fields.

Physics HOD may decide you go for MSc while undertaking the Physics courses you didn't do during your stay in Maths. This is easier determined if both are in same school and your cgpa is impressive.

Another head may refer you to the pgd route. THIS IS USUALLY THE CASE.

Another instance, direct entry to B.Eng using HND distinction (same engineering field), most HOD will recommend you start from 3rd year. Anything below distinction, 2nd year.

Another,
Within the same school, 1st class students could enroll for Phd but they must undertake all the MSc courses.

So, depends on strong relationship between the fields, HOD, Scholarship.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do MCSE Holders Earn In Nigeria? / Ayodele Fayose Promotes 9,583 Workers / Juremi Foundation Establishes Free Technical And Vocational Centres In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.