Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,390 members, 7,800,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion (41639 Views)

Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds / Chinedu Echeruo Sells Hopstop.com To Apple For $1 Billion / Apple Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by feddy09(m): 2:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
Who Dare To Say 'Nigeria' aka Naija Dosen't Have Potentials? !!! We are Cumin

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by kobonaire(m): 2:50pm On Mar 04, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
If he had stolen in US, would you have said this? There is no tribalism in what he wrote, after all the dude is Igbo or did he lie?
yes I would have. I too, like you, detest the tribalism on NL. If he had stolen in US, the title should have been "nigerian steals ....".
One Nigeria my friend.

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Neplusultra(f): 2:54pm On Mar 04, 2015
No wonder! He's Igbo kiss

3 Likes

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 3:01pm On Mar 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

IS IT THE YOUTHS THAT IS SOUTING SAI BUHARI EVERYDAY OR IS IT THE YOUTH THAT WILL WANT TO BE MUSICIAN OR IS IT THE YOUTH THAT WILL SIT HOME ALL DAY AND WAIT FOR ONE GOVERNMENT TO GIVE THEM STIPENDS.... MY DEAR IT IS NOT AN ISSUE OF POWER

LET ME TELL YOU

DURING BIAFRA WAR, THE EASTERN REGION WAS UNDER BOMBING BUT THERE WAS A LOT OF TECHNOLOGICAL MARVEL THAT MADE THE WORLD KNOW THAT THERE ARE SOME INTELLIGENT RACE IN AFRICA. SO LET US NOT BLAME IT ON LIGHT, ONCE THERE IS WILL THERE IS A WAY

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE DONT WANT TO WORK....LOOK AT INNOSSON TELL NIGERIAN TO BUY THE CAR, THEY WILL CALL IT IGBO MADE BUT PREFER TOYOTA. THE THING IS THAT SOME OF US ARE JUST TOO LAZY

BROTHER, PLEASE FORGET THE LIGHT
WE NEED TO CHANGE OF ORIENTATION

Are you saying the epileptic power supply is not affecting the development of Nigerian youths?

Definitely, it does hinder development. Steady power production will go a long way in helping youths develop their skills and talents.

There are more hindrances but power supply is a big one.
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by tonychristopher: 3:05pm On Mar 04, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

Are you saying the epileptic power supply is not affecting the development of Nigerian youths?

Definitely, it does hinder development. Steady power production will go a long way in helping youths develop their skills and talents.

There are more hindrances but power supply is a big one.

epileptic power supply is not affecting the youth, what is affecting the youth is epileptic thinking.... i said it

during the war biafra irrespective of war condition had so many technological marvel and this was during the war.... i think it is orientation issue

Once there s will there is a way

Forget that power thing...

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by madmanmega(m): 3:22pm On Mar 04, 2015
Cool. But by the time the VCs take their cut he will end up with something like $300 to $400 mil. Still a pretty penny. Still impressive.
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 04, 2015
DanjaNinja:
[color=#990000][size=16pt]
Why type is such annoying bold ink, cant you pass your message across in a more civil manner?
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by DanjaNinja(m): 3:32pm On Mar 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

so the amount that it was bought is incnsequential what is imperative is that our own is been known thats all, but you made a valid point

smart dude

My brother i empathize with you. It is important we celebrate hard working successful Nigerians. That i completely agree with. However, we should be mindful of the mixing truth with false information. This is bad for business for it portrays Nigerians as desperadoes telling lies for technological relevance. Yes, Apple bought Hopstop but there is not a single report of the actual price anywhere online. Which is quite disturbing since every major tech acquisition lists purchase price. Is it Instagram? - $800M (acquired by Facebook). Whatsapp - $22Billion (acquired by Facebook again!). Waze - $1Billion(acquired by Google) and lastly, Beats, acquired by apple for $3Billion. But Hopstop? Not a single information with regards to price and yet its the biggest headline on Nigerian blogs states "Apple purchases Hopstop for $1 Billion".

This perverse style of journalism is what also resulted in Dbanj's false Beat By Dre's endorsement. There was no such endorsement by Beats by Dre. I kid you not. You dont believe me? Head over to beat by Dre's website and try to find Dbanj's so called product. Brotherly, You will find no such thing. What Dbanj had was a single custom made beats by dre head phone. Yet, the Nigerian blogsphere, desperate for national significance and relevance, helped Dbanj perpertrate the endorsement lie.

I know the excessive optimists amongst you would say "but is it your business". To that i say Yes - Truth is my business. It should also be your business. A little white lie might not hurt but continue on that path and pretty soon you'll be telling big fat ugly lies.

In summary, celebrate the good, emulate the good but don't spoil the good by telling white lies. We all owe ourselves the truth. Thats all.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by DanjaNinja(m): 3:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
slimmy05:
Why type is such annoying bold ink, cant you pass your message across in a more civil manner?

You find my font size annoying yet you don't find misleading information annoying? Where are your priorities?
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by tonychristopher: 3:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
Bro I know what you are saying, I am in ICT media niche market and i know exactly what you are saying, I am not particular about the amount that changed hands, bro I am particular that this is an IGBO dude[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] and he will be a role model to some IGBO dudes that will want to aspire like him,Zinox and PHILIP EMEAGWALI in the ICT space...not the amount bro

Pls do get my analysis....IT IS NOT THE MONEY BUT THE SYMBOLICAL EFFECT

DanjaNinja:

My brother i empathize with you. It is important we celebrate hard working successful Nigerians. That i completely agree with. However, we should be mindful of the mixing truth with false information. This is bad for business for it portrays Nigerians as desperadoes telling lies for technological relevance. Yes, Apple bought Hopstop but there is not a single report of the actual price anywhere online. Which is quite disturbing since every major tech acquisition lists purchase price. Is it Instagram? - $800M (acquired by Facebook). Whatsapp - $22Billion (acquired by Facebook again!). Waze - $1Billion(acquired by Google) and lastly, Beats, acquired by apple for $3Billion. But Hopstop? Not a single information with regards to price and yet its the biggest headline on Nigerian blogs states "Apple purchases Hopstop for $1 Billion".

This perverse style of journalism is what also resulted in Dbanj's false Beat By Dre's endorsement. There was no such endorsement by Beats by Dre. I kid you not. You dont believe me? Head over to beat by Dre's website and try to find Dbanj's so called product. Brotherly, You will find no such thing. What Dbanj had was a single custom made beats by dre head phone. Yet, the Nigerian blogsphere, desperate for national significance and relevance, helped Dbanj perpertrate the endorsement lie.

I know the excessive optimists amongst you would say "but is it your business". To that i say Yes - Truth is my business. It should also be your business. A little white lie might not hurt but continue on that path and pretty soon you'll be telling big fat ugly lies.

In summary, celebrate the good, emulate the good but don't spoil the good by telling white lies. We all owe ourselves the truth. Thats all.

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 04, 2015
DanjaNinja:

You find my font size annoying yet you don't find misleading information annoying? Where are your priorities?
And if you read properly, then you would be able to get my point here. You don't have to pass across information in an annoying fonts. You can do better, and it's against thread rules.

No one is against your information, the way in which it's been passed is annoying.
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
My Igbo brother making us proud...haters,hug fish tongue

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by DanjaNinja(m): 3:57pm On Mar 04, 2015
tonychristopher:
Bro I know what you are saying, I am in ICT media niche market and i know exactly what you are saying, I am not particular about the amount that changed hands, bro I am particular that this is an IGBO dude[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] and he will be a role model to some IGBO dudes that will want to aspire like him,Zinox and PHILIP EMEAGWALI in the ICT space...not the amount bro

Pls do get my analysis....IT IS NOT THE MONEY BUT THE SYMBOLICAL EFFECT

I totally get your analysis on the importance of the symbolic effect. However, caution should be taken when the Money used as a title to enhance the symbolic effect is untrue. The title of the thread is "Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion". The title is misleading and untrue. Apple did buy Chinedu's Hopstop but Apple did not pay $1Billion Dollars.

On a side note, you brought up the name of a well known fraudster: PHILIP EMEAGWALI. Please read this and thank me later: http://www.saharareporters.com/report/how-philip-emeagwali-lied-his-way-fame

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
DanjaNinja:

I totally get your analysis on the importance of the symbolic effect. However, caution should be taken when the Money used as a title to enhance the symbolic effect is untrue. The title of the thread is "Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion". The title is misleading and untrue. Apple did buy Chinedu's Hopstop but Apple did not pay $1Billion Dollars.

On a side note, you brought up the name of a well known fraudster: PHILIP EMEAGWALI. Please read this and thank me later: http://www.saharareporters.com/report/how-philip-emeagwali-lied-his-way-fame

You can create a thread for this.

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by tonychristopher: 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2015
DanjaNinja:

How dare you use Saharareporters as a credible information refrence, I was thinking that I was in a debate with an enlightened man but i never knew your just one of the base ones, but that is okay. Its an oversight on me.

let me lecture you, next time, pls use a global and internation accepted page, dont go and bring one local nasty site again

I think you have a beef somewhere, maybe Igbophobia or smething, one thing is the fact that IGBOS are smart people and possibly the smartest in black Africa. This is not debatable, why you call philip fraudstar i just dont know but I will give you very very credible info from credible sites like www.cnn.com et al

Philip Emeagwali

Mathematician / Computer Scientist

Born: 23 August 1954
Birthplace: Akure, Nigeria
Best known as: Nigerian-born supercomputing pioneer
Philip Emeagwali won the Gordon Bell supercomputing prize in 1989 for applying the power of networked computers to analysis of oil field reserves. The child of a poor Nigerian family, Emeagwali was largely self-taught in the sciences until 1974, when he won a scholarship to Oregon State University. During the 1970s and '80s he furthered his education at George Washington University and the University of Maryland, studying mathematics and environmental engineering. In the 1980s he worked on advanced formulas in networked computers, leading to the Gordon Bell prize. Emeagwali has won several other awards, including a 1998 Distinguished Scientist Award from the World Bank.
Extra credit: Emeagwali is married to microbiologist Dale Brown Emeagwali.

Read more: Philip Emeagwali Biography (Mathematician/Computer Scientist) http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/philipemeagwali.html#ixzz3TQzYJBwK

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/computer-science/emeagwali_philip.html

We have made contributions in a host of fields of medicine and technology that have advanced mankind."

A father of the Internet

Philip Emeagwali, a computer scientist, is but one example. He uses his mathematical and computer expertise to develop methods for extracting more petroleum from oil fields.

It was his formula that used 65,000 separate computer processors to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989. That feat led to computer scientists comprehending the capabilities of supercomputers and the practical applications of creating a system that allowed multiple computers to communicate. He is recognized as one of the fathers of the Internet.

http://edition.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html

Philip Emeagwali – IQ = 190
The Worlds Top 8 Smartest People Emeagwali was born in Nigeria on 23 August 1954. He dropped out of school in 1967 because of the Nigerian-Biafran war. He became an engineer and computer scientist/geologist who was one of two winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of a Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyze petroleum fields. in 1991, He was studying for his PhD degree, but his thesis was rejected by committee of internal and external examiners and thus he was not awarded the degree.

http://palscience.com/science/the-worlds-top-8-smartest-people/#.VPcyEHzF-0s

2 Likes

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by dasoul(m): 6:30pm On Mar 04, 2015
Congrat bro!!!
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 04, 2015
That he mentioned his ethnic nationality doesn't takeaway Africanism or Nigerianism in him, please check your dictionary to know what tribalism is
kobonaire:
yes I would have. I too, like you, detest the tribalism on NL. If he had stolen in US, the title should have been "nigerian steals ....".
One Nigeria my friend.
He is an Igbo before being a Nigerian and that is fact not tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by kobonaire(m): 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
That he mentioned his ethnic nationality doesn't takeaway Africanism or Nigerianism in him, please check your dictionary to know what tribalism is He is an Igbo before being a Nigerian and that is fact nto tribalism.
Please read the posts very well before making these comments. He originally asked why the title was Nigerian and not Igbo. If he had instead said that 'add Igbo' to the Nigerian description then that is fine.
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by slimfit1(m): 8:28pm On Mar 04, 2015
I hope yahoo yahoo boys are seeing this what brains can do for you if you use it well. At least you will sleep in peace.

1 Like

Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 04, 2015
patmaine:
one billion dollar. so why is his name not in d Forbes billionaire list
lolz bro i'm suprised u shld ask dat......about 50% of d cash will be paid in stocks or bonds
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 04, 2015
manutdadex:
if and only if our NL youths bcome productive instead of complaining and blaming d government for everytin...look around u..people are taking giant strides! God bless Naija
sharappp,if only d better platform 4 hustlin n brilliant dudes is made available,den can such tins happen here.....immagine a country without electricity,no youth empowerment programmes,issugency everywhere....how can one discover such a creative passion
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 04, 2015
Dyt:

No jor
He's my spec
cheesy grin

Looks closely
He must be left handed and a stutterer just that he's not bald embarassed
sharrappp dear,dont tell me u havent seen much more dudes better attractive dan him........power of wealth,it brings out d attractive specs
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by socialwritter: 9:34pm On Mar 04, 2015
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by DanjaNinja(m): 10:01pm On Mar 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

How dare you use Saharareporters as a credible information refrence, I was thinking that I was in a debate with an enlightened man but i never knew your just one of the base ones, but that is okay. Its an oversight on me.

let me lecture you, next time, pls use a global and internation accepted page, dont go and bring one local nasty site again

I think you have a beef somewhere, maybe Igbophobia or smething, one thing is the fact that IGBOS are smart people and possibly the smartest in black Africa. This is not debatable, why you call philip fraudstar i just dont know but I will give you very very credible info from credible sites like www.cnn.com et al

Philip Emeagwali

Mathematician / Computer Scientist

Born: 23 August 1954
Birthplace: Akure, Nigeria
Best known as: Nigerian-born supercomputing pioneer
Philip Emeagwali won the Gordon Bell supercomputing prize in 1989 for applying the power of networked computers to analysis of oil field reserves. The child of a poor Nigerian family, Emeagwali was largely self-taught in the sciences until 1974, when he won a scholarship to Oregon State University. During the 1970s and '80s he furthered his education at George Washington University and the University of Maryland, studying mathematics and environmental engineering. In the 1980s he worked on advanced formulas in networked computers, leading to the Gordon Bell prize. Emeagwali has won several other awards, including a 1998 Distinguished Scientist Award from the World Bank.
Extra credit: Emeagwali is married to microbiologist Dale Brown Emeagwali.

Read more: Philip Emeagwali Biography (Mathematician/Computer Scientist) http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/philipemeagwali.html#ixzz3TQzYJBwK

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/computer-science/emeagwali_philip.html

We have made contributions in a host of fields of medicine and technology that have advanced mankind."

A father of the Internet

Philip Emeagwali, a computer scientist, is but one example. He uses his mathematical and computer expertise to develop methods for extracting more petroleum from oil fields.

It was his formula that used 65,000 separate computer processors to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989. That feat led to computer scientists comprehending the capabilities of supercomputers and the practical applications of creating a system that allowed multiple computers to communicate. He is recognized as one of the fathers of the Internet.

http://edition.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html

Philip Emeagwali – IQ = 190
The Worlds Top 8 Smartest People Emeagwali was born in Nigeria on 23 August 1954. He dropped out of school in 1967 because of the Nigerian-Biafran war. He became an engineer and computer scientist/geologist who was one of two winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of a Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyze petroleum fields. in 1991, He was studying for his PhD degree, but his thesis was rejected by committee of internal and external examiners and thus he was not awarded the degree.

http://palscience.com/science/the-worlds-top-8-smartest-people/#.VPcyEHzF-0s

My brother, since we started this discussion, i have never called you names nor questioned your intelligence. I have made a logically presentation of my arguments backed with facts. That you acknowledged the validity of statement by referring to the insignificance of the amount that changed hands also confirms my stance. But for you to refer to me as igbophobic and base (abi were u trying to say "bias"wink says alot about you. Nonetheless,since am not petty, i wont dwell on your slight. I'll let this slide. That said, i am not Igbophobic - my babe is igbo and i plan to marry her. Additionally, i am not biased. I never downplayed the importance of Chinedu's achievement. I only stated the obvious - that Apple did not buy Hopstop for a billion dollars. I also challenged the Op/the house to provide credible resources citing the authenticity of the one billion dollar purchase price. As we speak, this information is still non existent. Chinedu's achievement is monumental and inspiring but lets not mix fact with fiction.

On Emeagwali.
I was once like you, i thought the world of Emeagwali until i accidentally saw him for what he was - A FRAUD!!!! I was ten when i first heard of Emeagwali. It was an article on the Guardian Newspaper that introduced me to the unknown Nigerian Whizkid called Emeagwali. The article stated all you have highlighted - the Gordon Bell award, the father of the internet, the Time and CNN articles. And just like you, i believed it all. Who was i to even remotely question the authenticity of a Guardian article? Remember, i was just ten years old. But for you to dismiss the sahara reporter article without even reading it says one thing about you - you have a bias towards sahara reporters. Nonetheless, i crave your indulgence to please keep an open mind and read the heavily summarized version of the Emeagwali expose. You can find the full expose via google.

PHILIP EMEAGWALI - THE LIAR.

Did you know that Philip Emeagwali is not one of the founding fathers of the internet?, did not win “the Nobel Prize” of Computing as he claims, has no invention patents, did not invent the connection machine, does not have a single academic publication, and is neither a “doctor” nor a “professor” by any definition of those terms? I guess you don't. But read on and be enlightened.

Debunking the many myths of Mr. Emeagwali’s “achievements” is one the easiest things to do on earth if you have a computer with Internet access. Let us start with his claim of possessing 41 (32 by some accounts on some hero-worshipping black websites) patents for various inventions. A simple search at the website of the US Patent and Trade Mark Office (here: http://tarr.uspto.gov/) reveals that Mr. Emeagwali has only one registered patent, for Emeagwali.com, his website. He has no other patent listed against his name. It is the same patent that most owners of independent websites apply for to legally protect their proprietary rights over the website and its contents. We can state conclusively then that Mr. Emeagwali has no patented invention of any kind, contrary to his and his supporters’ claim.

Connection Machine (CM-2)
Specifically, Mr. Emeagwali claims to have invented the Connection Machine (CM-2). This false claim is displayed boldly and shamelessly on Emeagwali.com in the section on “inventions” and “discoveries.” Some black websites like this one http://inventors.about.com/od/blackinventors/a/black_historyE.htm credit Emeagwali with inventing the Hyberball Machine Networks (or the supercomputer). Both claims are demonstrably false. The connection Machine, which is capable of conducting simultaneous calculations using 65,000-processors, was conceived by Daniel Hills and built by Thinking Machine Corporation, which Mr. Hills, along with Sheryl Handler, founded in 1982. This information is widely available on the web. The so-called supercomputer is therefore clearly not the child of Mr. Emeagwali by even the most generous stretch of the imagination.

Internet Pioneer?

Mr. Emeagwali claims to have used the CM-2 Machine to carry out billions of calculations by connecting over 65,000 processors (computers) around the world. He claims that this was the rudimentary foundation of the Internet. It is on this ground that he has aggrandized to himself the title of “father of the internet.” But this is a barefaced lie at worst and an egregious exaggeration at best. And it is so absurd in its circular logic that it is hilarious. First, as stated earlier, Emeagwali did not invent the Connection Machine on which his “experiment” relied. Second, Emeagwali used more than 65,000 independent processors "around the world" (meaning on the Internet) to do his calculation. This means that the Internet already existed and that he RELIED ON it for his calculations. Unless the Internet he claims to have fathered is different from the Internet that already existed at the time of his experiment (and which we all know as the existing internet today), he COULD NOT have invented the Internet or fathered it. He could not have been using an internet that, by his claim, did not exist until he invented it. As this website http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/emeagwali.html makes very clear, Emeagwali’s research did not contribute to or help invent any of the known components of what we now know as the internet:

Philip Emeagwali did work in supercomputing in the [late] eighties…But supercomputing and the Internet are very different areas. And Emeagwali did not contribute to even one of the hundreds of Internet standards, or RFCs (Requests For Comments), that were created in the early decades of the Internet—an open process that anyone could participate in. His supercomputing research was completely unrelated to the Internet. Emeagwali’s research was thus irrelevant to the evolution of the internet. Emeagwali did his supercomputing experiment in the late 1980s. By then, the “core standards” and protocols for information and data flow on the Internet already existed. And although, improvements have been made to the template since then, Emeagwali did not make any of those improvements and cannot therefore claim credit for them.

Authentic histories of the internet are accessible all over the web. One can be found here: http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml#SC69 and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_pioneers
. Many people played leading roles in inventing, improving, and constituting the vast technologies, protocols, and ideas that gave birth to and perfected the Internet. It is interesting that none of them is nearly as vocal in claiming that he is a father of the internet as Mr. Emeagwali, who did not contribute to the invention of the internet in any shape or form and in fact relied on the already existing internet to conduct his research. One of the most significant contributors to and pioneers of the internet is Vinton Cerf, who is today a Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google Inc. Other important figures in the development of the Internet include JCR Licklider, Bob Taylor, Paul Baran, Donald Davies, and Lawrence Roberts. If anyone deserves the title of father of the Internet, it is these people. Yet, none of them craves or has appropriated the title. When interviewed about their contribution to the Internet, they often humbly outline their actual contribution, crediting others with other components and shunning the title or insinuation of having fathered the Internet.

“Dr.” Emeagwali Or Doctored Emeagwali?

Emeagwali’s final fraudulent claim is that of being a “doctor” and “professor.” Several years ago, before eagle-eyed Nigerians and Africans decided to scrutinize his eye-popping claims, his website audaciously referred to him as “doctor” and “Professor.” Because of recent exposures of his scam, he no longer refers to himself on his website as “Dr. Emeagwali” or “Professor Emeagwali.” However, in what is typical of the Emeagwali scam, his website is still littered with many media references to “Dr Emeagwali” and “Professor Emeagwali.” These stealthily promoted references then get picked up by unsuspecting black media people who are eager to promote black achievement and excellence. Sometimes, he approaches black websites and organizations, asking them to link to or publish his false claims. In the course of the discussion on the USAfricadialogue forum, Ms. Funmi Okelola , the owner and webmaster of cafeafricana.com, revealed that Mr. Emeagwali approached her a few years ago, asking her to help propagate the lie that he is “a father of the internet.” Ms. Okelola, herself an Adjunct Professor of IT, flatly turned down his request, refusing to participate vicariously in his fraud. For good measure, she advised him to seek help for his delusions of grandeur.

Intellectual Fraud And Its Unwitting Validators

Even former president Bill Clinton was suckered by the fraud, famously referring to Emeagwali as “one of the great minds of the information age” in his speech to the Nigerian National Assembly in 2000. The Clinton reference has provided cover and alibi for Emeagwali to perfect and spread his false claims. Predictably, Emeagwali’s defenders point to the Clinton reference and to CNN’s and TIME Magazine’s references to him as “a father of the internet” and “the unsung hero” of the internet age respectively. These references are boldly displayed on Emeagali.com for the obvious purpose of convincing the uninformed that his claims have been vetted and endorsed by these entities. The problem is that these media organizations sadly endorsed the claims without vetting them. Part of it is sloppiness, but much of it is the result of what black intellectuals who live in the West understand and experience as white liberal pandering, which is itself borne out of white liberal guilt and the fear of the “r” word (racism).

Obviously Clinton was pandering to his Nigerian hosts who believed Emeagwali to be a scientific genius and national hero. Clinton, the savvy politician that he is, and a man who perfected white liberal outreach and pandering to black/African peoples, was relying on the image and descriptions of Emeagwali that was already in the black and mainstream press —descriptions that are traceable to Emeagwali's own misrepresentations on his websites. What Emeagwali does is so clever as to ensnare even a skeptical and vigilant observer, especially one that is already inclined to believe or seek out claims of black scientific achievement for whatever reason. As indicated earlier, Emeagwali plants these autobiographical write-ups that are ridden with falsehoods and misrepresentations in unsuspecting black publications. He does this by aggressively pitching these claims to their editors as he tried to do unsuccessfully with Ms. Okelola. Then, fired by liberal guilt and a desire to seem welcoming to black achievement and excellence, the mainstream media like TIME and CNN, lazily pick up these references and descriptions. Emeagwali then links to, disseminates, and publicizes these mainstream press references and descriptions (which are actually based on his own descriptions of himself and his "achievements”), thus perfecting and furthering the fraud. This way, he creates deniability for himself. The deception comes full circle but the cycle continues to repeat itself, populating and repopulating the Internet with Emeagwali’s falsehoods.

The sophistication and complexity of the fraud notwithstanding, there is no excuse for reputable organizations like CNN and TIME not to have done a simple due diligence on the false claims of Emeagwali. It is true that at the time that TIME and CNN made the glowing references to Emeagwali, the now widely available refutations of his claims were probably not yet available on the internet. Even so, a basic inquiry from the appropriate quarters would have revealed the truth about the claims on which the references to Emeagwali were based. The two reputable organizations failed to carry out this basic fact checking, an elemental reportorial and investigative duty of journalists. Instead, they relied on Emeagwali’s widely disseminated falsehoods for their stories. The case of TIME is particularly scandalous. The story in which it extols Emeagwali is clearly directly based on Emeagwali’s own autobiographical claims on Emeagwali.com. In fact it is a faithful, almost verbatim reproduction of Emeagwali’s self-written profile. It is lazy, sloppy journalism at its worst.

There is similarly no excuse for President Clinton’s speech writers not to have done basic checks or asked some of the president’s own appointees and advisers who are engineers and scientists about the true value of Emeagwali’s work. Had they done this relatively simply investigation, they would have realized that being a default winner in one category of a minor supercomputing competition for work that has a specific, limited application in the narrow field of oil reservoir modeling does not qualify one to be called “one of the greatest minds of the information age.”

I will stop here. Google is your friend. Figure out the rest on your own.
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by manutdadex(m): 11:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
Smartestelvis:
sharappp,if only d better platform 4 hustlin n brilliant dudes is made available,den can such tins happen here.....immagine a country without electricity,no youth empowerment programmes,issugency everywhere....how can one discover such a creative passion
jst wat am sayin! Keep complainin and blamin d government for ur woes...u beta learn to take responsibilty for ur actions and stop blamin odas! You wil beta for it!
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
manutdadex:
jst wat am sayin! Keep complainin and blamin d government for ur woes...u beta learn to take responsibilty for ur actions and stop blamin odas! You wil beta for it!
look looser,u berra stand up n speak up too,stop actin like one from spain or america where everytin is rite in place......only if u v been dere would u knw dat dis country is in deep boundage fueled by d blind idealism of ur so called leaders.....certain infrastructures can make u ignite ur spark 2 become as productive as dat dude, troll
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by simdam500(m): 12:16am On Mar 05, 2015
Greatness is my desire cry
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by manutdadex(m): 12:38am On Mar 05, 2015
Smartestelvis:
look looser,u berra stand up n speak up too,stop actin like one from spain or america where everytin is rite in place......only if u v been dere would u knw dat dis country is in deep boundage fueled by d blind idealism of ur so called leaders.....certain infrastructures can make u ignite ur spark 2 become as productive as dat dude, troll
there is no point talkin to u...u are who u are
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 05, 2015
manutdadex:
there is no point talkin to u...u are who u are
*snorring heavilly**
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 4:40am On Mar 05, 2015
So the Igbo he requested to added is turning you off? He is Igbo before being a nigerian like wise I
kobonaire:
Please read the posts very well before making these comments. He originally asked why the title was Nigerian and not Igbo. If he had instead said that 'add Igbo' to the Nigerian description then that is fine.
Take your patriotism elsewhere
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by kobonaire(m): 5:27am On Mar 05, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
So the Igbo he requested to added is turning you off? He is Igbo before being a nigerian like wise I Take your patriotism elsewhere
So now you are changing your story. First you wanted to replace the Nigerian with Igbo now you have conceded to adding the Igbo to Nigerian.
My job is done, I have reformed a tribalist cool
Re: Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 05, 2015
kobonaire:
So now you are changing your story. First you wanted to replace the Nigerian with Igbo now you have conceded to adding the Igbo to Nigerian.
My job is done, I have reformed a tribalist cool
Reformed a tribalist? You must be joking, you have not met me, I am first an Igbo man before a nigerian that has been my argument.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Buy Stuffs At Cheaper Price At Idumota Market, Lagos This Season / Dangote Moves To Purchase 10,000 Trucks From Indonesia / Dollar Crashes To ₦790 At Parallel Market After Tinubu, CBN Governor’s Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.