Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions (28831 Views)

10 Bizarre Medical Conditions You Haven't Heard About / Psychiatric Doctor In The House: Advise On Psychological And Mental Health Issue / 7 Health Risks Of Child Bearing After Age 35 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Ishilove: 4:54am On Mar 04, 2015
My name is Ayomide Adebayo, and I’m a psychiatrist.

Okay, quick one: when you read that, what was the first thing that came to your mind? Be honest, now. Did you think, “mad people,” half-clothed, muttering to themselves, or jerking around in uncontrollable rage?

I did that because I’ve found that when I tell people I’m a psychiatrist, one of the first thoughts in most people’s minds is something along the lines of “mad people,” or “madness” – which is unfortunate, because psychiatry is so much more than that. In fact, psychiatry is not about “madness” at all. Interestingly, people often interpret that as an attempt at being politically correct, but it’s not at all. It’s just fact.

What psychiatry really is about is… Mental and behavioural disorders: That’s the proper name, actually, but it’s a mouthful. Imagine having to say that every single time. In fact, don’t imagine; just try it yourself. Try reading up to here again, but reading, “mental and behavioural disorders,” every time I wrote “psychiatry.” It’s no fun, trust me. (Mostly we in the field just say “mental disorders,” or “mental illness.”)

“Mental and behavioural disorders” really gets it, though. And that’s a major reason why thinking of psychiatry as the medical specialty that deals with “mad people” is a misconception. The kind of people we think of as “mad” constitute only a very tiny subset of the vast number of people who can be helped by psychiatry.

But we can try to untangle it by looking at a few other things that come under the psychiatry’s wide scope.

Pregnancy- and menstruation-related disorders
Any woman (or her partner) knows that pregnancy and menstruation often come with emotional changes. But sometimes things go from just emotional to being serious enough to affect the woman’s ability to continue her normal life. Which is where a psychiatrist or other mental health professional might need to come in.

Sexual disorders
Yes, sexual disorders are a major reason to see a psychiatrist. And the reason is simple when you think about it: once you rule out sexual problems caused by physical conditions, all that’s left is problems of behaviour. Which other doctor can you think of who would handle that?

Bedwetting
Almost everyone knows someone who used to bedwet. (Or maybe even still does.) And although there are all kinds of ways people try to address bedwetting, most people I’ve met don’t seem to even consider psychiatric help as an option. But once you rule out physical causes, bedwetting (or enuresis, as we call it) is totally a behavioural problem.

Alcohol and drug use problems
Most people don’t really think of alcohol and drug use problems as psychiatric, except the person starts to behave unusually or something. Which is sad, because harmfully using drugs and alcohol is already a behavioural problem. Waiting until abnormal behaviour starts means many who are already living below their potential don’t get help.

Anxiety disorders
Did you ever see Iron Man 3? Tony Stark (played by Robert Downey Jr) was having attacks of sudden anxiety where he would basically freak out and have flashbacks (from his near-death experience in Avengers — you saw that, at least?). You may not have known specifically, but those were panic attacks and his problem was something along the lines of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Which is totally a psychiatric problem — he definitely needed to see a psychiatrist or other mental health professional.

Learning disorders
I see kids all the time who struggle in school and everyone thinks they’re dumb. Which is sad, because some of them are trying very hard, but they’re struggling with learning difficulties like dyslexia (reading disorder) and dyscalculia (arithmetic disorder). Kids with problems like this don’t do well because skills they struggle with skills most other kids can luckily take for granted. And our whole system of education is based on the assumption they already have these skills. (Imagine what it’s like for those who don’t.)

Dementia
I’ve seen people with elderly relatives who have been forgetting stuff consistently for years, but they didn’t realise that was a problem. They assumed it was part of normal old age. (It’s not). By the time these people get to the hospital (usually because of unusual behaviour, which is the only mental health symptom most people know), it’s late. Maybe not too late, but later than would have been ideal.

These are just a few, obviously. I havent mentioned eating disorders, or child and adolescent behavioural disorders, or other disorders of old age and so on. I’ve said nothing about conversion disorders and somatisation disorders and other kinds of schizophrenia.

Ayomide Adebayo is a writer and a psychiatrist

Culled from- http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/03/03/ayomide-adebayo-7-conditions-you-didnt-know-were-mental-health-disorders/

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by GboyegaD(m): 5:01am On Mar 04, 2015
Wow shocked, never thought of dementia, bed wetting, and sexual disorder in the context it is used here as a mental health condition.

1 Like

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Gboliwe: 6:19am On Mar 04, 2015
Now that figure about a percentage of Nigerians having mental problems should be increased. I bet many more will fall into this category.

Life is all a mind thing. We live healthier when our minds are better attuned.

Great article.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by adedam007(m): 8:53am On Mar 04, 2015
Noted
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 04, 2015

1 Like

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by yuzjet(m): 10:27am On Mar 04, 2015
Hmmm. Nice tips!
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by AmakaDNB(f): 10:28am On Mar 04, 2015
Okay.
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Sanchez01: 10:28am On Mar 04, 2015
Dementia, like seriously
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 04, 2015
Excellent post. Good it is on front page.

Dementia in particular can be prevented.....good diet and exercise, and constantly challenging your brain.(by learning new things)

2 Likes

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 04, 2015
Sanchez01:
Dementia, like seriously

Seriously.

A friend of my parents had a relative with dementia. Mama would wander off and no one would know where she was. Sometimes they had to call the police before they could find her. And then there was the irritable behavior.

More info here.
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by omanifrank(m): 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
nice
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by phatlytall(m): 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
Who tell u say I no know. Mtchew
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by ojaydedon(m): 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
bedwetting

hmmm
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by jamesw: 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
Nice one OP but you forgot to mention Self servicing grin

Buhari’s Brain is Dead, Says Patience Jonathan
SOURCE: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/3655-buhari-s-brain-is-dead-says-patience-jonathan
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Jostico: 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
is it possible without moni undecided
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by aminae: 10:29am On Mar 04, 2015
JUST PASSING !!!
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 04, 2015
Most ladies experience no one. I hate when my visitor is around .
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Situation001(m): 10:30am On Mar 04, 2015
k
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by corisande: 10:30am On Mar 04, 2015
Wow
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Sanchez01: 10:30am On Mar 04, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Seriously.

I used to think it's as a result of old age. Has it been proven
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Solowande(m): 10:30am On Mar 04, 2015
K
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by ichidodo: 10:31am On Mar 04, 2015
Wi donkia wah dem ah tink bur fi wi haffi, we blaze ganja fi kyantrol mental disarda...dis nu bush weed kuality bu pure lambsbread kuality.
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by timilehing(m): 10:32am On Mar 04, 2015
Adult bedwetting don't need psychiatrist help o, na TB Joshua work be that

2 Likes

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by OgologoDimkpa: 10:32am On Mar 04, 2015
You men to say that person wey dey wee-wee for bed has a mental disorder shocked
Okay nah!
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Emmafrancis: 10:33am On Mar 04, 2015
All are the characteristics exhibited by APC Except 1 and 2.
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 04, 2015
Sanchez01:

I used to think it's as a result of old age. Has it been proven

It is a disorder....and it is not restricted to old age....some cases happen in people below the age of 50.

Also there are various types of dementia. The most ''popular'' is Alzheimer.

Like I said...exercise, constant learning, and good diet can help.(a cause is blockages in the blood supply to your brain due to high cholesterol)

3 Likes

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 04, 2015
a friend has issues with alcohol, he struggled to quit so many times but withdrawal symptoms seem to be more dangerous than alcohol itself.
pls advise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 04, 2015
Booking space here and there on nairaland is part of ill mental health condition . . . go figure
Re: 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions by ojaydedon(m): 10:37am On Mar 04, 2015
Emmafrancis:
Dg

u mean d for dog, g for goat

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

General Hospital In Orile Agege Where Patients Sleep On The Floor (exclusive) / My Doctor Says I'm HIV Positive / UNIMAID Student Undergoes Successful Facial Surgery After Acid Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.