Stats: 3,149,784 members, 7,806,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? (5464 Views)

Top 5 Things The Samsung Galaxy S8 Can Do That The Iphone Can’t / Factory That Made The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 batteries Catches Fire / Figures Don't Lie, The Phantom 6 Plus Murdered The Samsung Galaxy S6! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 3:02pm On Mar 04, 2015
Godvilla:
Seems u know nothing about RAM too, the bigger the RAM the better multitasking u get. RAM is far more dan stability, RAM entails more on speed.
512MB RAM is good for iphone or windows cus they are not heavily customised by their OEMs. hardware specs has nothing to do with lag issue on a device, it all boils dwn 2 the software customization by the OEM.
If u truelly wanna know the power of RAM especially 3GB RAM, try handle a NEXUS device dat is pure Android with no extra customization.
Same in pc world, i'd die for a system with 16/32GB RAM dan a 4/8GB RAM

Nexus 6, though a good phone is not the smoothest android phone even with lollipop on board. Do ur research, HTC one m7 and m8 are smoother than nexus 6 even with 2gb of ram. It all boils down to software optimization.

And u can't compare a computer's ram with phones. If someone can manufacture a system with 2gb of ram that will do the same task flawlessly like the one with 32gb of ram, then there wouldn't be the need for adding more RAMs as it would be a waste of resources.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

Nexus 6, though a good phone is not the smoothest android phone even with lollipop on board. Do ur research, HTC one m7 and m8 are smoother than nexus 6 even with 2gb of ram. It all boils down to software optimization.

And u can't compare a computer's ram with phones. If someone can manufacture a system with 2gb of ram that will do the same task flawlessly like the one with 32gb of ram, then there wouldn't be the need for adding more RAMs as it would be a waste of resources.

In order words. More RAM is useless and a gimmick right? Barman give this guy a chilled zobo
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

It doesn't matter the number of background apps running. Why don't u tell me the importance of the running background apps and tell me iOS can't match up. This is why an android phone with 3,000mah battery will run out of battery faster than an iOS device with 2,500mah battery.

The time I checked, the phones with best battery life are droids. Sony z3 kills iPhone 6 battery despite been released earlier.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2015
ollah1:

In order words. More RAM is useless and a gimmick right? Barman give this guy a chilled zobo

I didn't say that. What I said is more ram are useless when not needed which is the case with iPhone. An iPhone with 1gb of ram will run every app as fast ( if mot faster ) as a galaxy note 4 with 3gb of ram. So apple have no reason to add more rams since it is not needed. They will add it when it becomes needed. So it all depends on software optimization. Same way some 8mp shooters take better pictures than some 16 megapixel phones.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 5:40pm On Mar 04, 2015
ollah1:

The time I checked, the phones with best battery life are droids. Sony z3 kills iPhone 6 battery despite been released earlier.

We are still saying the same thing. Androids are power hungry because of useless background apps and that is why they need BIGGER BATTERIES to power them.

Sony xperia z3 has 3,100mah battery while iPhone 6 has 1,810mah battery. On paper that is no match, but in reality, while the Sony has better talktime, the difference is not so much in web browsing and media playback. In fact when browsing the web at full charge, the xperia will not last more than 45 minutes than iPhone 5. So the difference in real life usage is not so much, but the difference in battery size is so so much. This shows iPhone software are better optimized to use small resources to give better outputs.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by fortech91(m): 6:33pm On Mar 04, 2015
Before you compare iPhone with an Android smartphone, you must first determine which of the latest devices coming from MWC is the flagship Android smartphone (am looking @ u HTC One M9)
Check: Galaxy S9 vs One M9 vs Xperia M4
http://www.androidgist.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-vs-htc-one-m9-vs-sony-xperia-m4
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

We are still saying the same thing. Androids are power hungry because of useless background apps and that is why they need BIGGER BATTERIES to power them.

Sony xperia z3 has 3,100mah battery while iPhone 6 has 1,810mah battery. On paper that is no match, but in reality, while the Sony has better talktime, the difference is not so much in web browsing and media playback. In fact when browsing the web at full charge, the xperia will not last more than 45 minutes than iPhone 5. So the difference in real life usage is not so much, but the difference in battery size is so so much. This shows iPhone software are better optimized to use small resources to give better outputs.
45 Mins
I doubt if uv ever seen a much more used Sony's flagship device......
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 6:55pm On Mar 04, 2015
fortech91:
Before you compare iPhone with an Android smartphone, you must first determine which of the latest devices coming from MWC is the flagship Android smartphone (am looking @ u HTC One M9)
Check: Galaxy S9 vs One M9 vs Xperia M4
http://www.androidgist.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-vs-htc-one-m9-vs-sony-xperia-m4

Which come come be flagship android phone? Android is not iOS, android has different flagships while apple has one per year. If u must name an android flagship then it'd got to be the nexus 6 which IMO is great but nothing special.

Samsung's flagship is galaxy s6
Sony is xperia z4
HTC is HTC one m9
Lg is lg g4
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 6:56pm On Mar 04, 2015
Godvilla:
45 Mins
I doubt if uv ever seen a much more used Sony's flagship device......

I guess u didn't get what I wrote. U should read again. What I meant is while browsing web pages alone at full charge, if the iPhone lasts 10hrs 30 mins, xperia z3 will last approximately 11hrs 15 mins. Which is not a great difference comparing how huge the xperia battery is.

Now to further prove to u that bigger battery doesn't always mean better performance, let's compare the iPhone 6 with LG g3. The g3 has 3,000 mah battery vs iPhone 6 1,810 mah battery. The G3 has twice the talk than the iphone, but when it comes to web browsing, lg g3 will only last 6 and half hours while iPhone 6 will last 10and half hours. Also for media playback, lg g3 will last just 8 and half hours while the iPhone 6 will last 9 and half hours. This shows the iPhone has better screen on time even with its smaller battery.

So again, software optimization is more important than adding more RAM, or bigger battery or more megapixels which is where apple shines.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 04, 2015
Godvilla:
Seems u know nothing about RAM too, the bigger the RAM the better multitasking u get. RAM is far more dan stability, RAM entails more on speed.
512MB RAM is good for iphone or windows cus they are not heavily customised by their OEMs. hardware specs has nothing to do with lag issue on a device, it all boils dwn 2 the software customization by the OEM.
If u truelly wanna know the power of RAM especially 3GB RAM, try handle a NEXUS device dat is pure Android with no extra customization.
Same in pc world, i'd die for a system with 16/32GB RAM dan a 4/8GB RAM
bro i have tried it on htc android phone and a window phone.....tried both multitasking with same apps at same time...the android was lagging......window phone was with 512. mb whilt htc was 1gb......watching movies,subway surfer,facebook app and twitter
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Flashfash: 8:14pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

I didn't say that. What I said is more ram are useless when not needed which is the case with iPhone. An iPhone with 1gb of ram will run every app as fast ( if mot faster ) as a galaxy note 4 with 3gb of ram. So apple have no reason to add more rams since it is not needed. They will add it when it becomes needed. So it all depends on software optimization. Same way some 8mp shooters take better pictures than some 16 megapixel phones.

Iphone don't trully multi task. So having a ram with more ram in order to aide multi task isn't needed.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Flashfash: 8:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

I guess u didn't get what I wrote. U should read again. What I meant is while browsing web pages alone at full charge, if the iPhone lasts 10hrs 30 mins, xperia z3 will last approximately 11hrs 15 mins. Which is not a great difference comparing how huge the xperia battery is.

Now to further prove to u that bigger battery doesn't always mean better performance, let's compare the iPhone 6 with LG g3. The g3 has 3,000 mah battery vs iPhone 6 1,810 mah battery. The G3 has twice the talk than the iphone, but when it comes to web browsing, lg g3 will only last 6 and half hours while iPhone 6 will last 10and half hours. Also for media playback, lg g3 will last just 8 and half hours while the iPhone 6 will last 9 and half hours. This shows the iPhone has better screen on time even with its smaller battery.

So again, software optimization is more important than adding more RAM, or bigger battery or more megapixels which is where apple shines.

The z3 came with older chipset which is power hungry and not android perse. Kitkat isn't really power hungry, lollipop is more power efficient. IPhone 6 is with a better chipset and newer OS version.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 8:36pm On Mar 04, 2015
Flashfash:

The z3 came with older chipset which is power hungry and not android perse. Kitkat isn't really power hungry, lollipop is more power efficient. IPhone 6 is with a better chipset and newer OS version.

You call snapdragon 801 an older chipset? The successor is snapdragon 805 and 810 is just being used on 2015 phones. Snapdragon 801 is even thought to be better than 805. And don't be deceived, lollipop is also power hungry, I run lollipop on my 2 phones. If Lollipop is more power efficient then why does the Nexus 6 have an average battery life even with its gigantic 3220 mAh battery. And mind u it runs undiluted stock lollipop, so it should be having a great battery life, but hell no, Galaxy note 4, xperia z3 and z2, all have better battery life even with customized version of kitkat.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 8:45pm On Mar 04, 2015
Flashfash:

Iphone don't trully multi task. So having a ram with more ram in order to aide multi task isn't needed.

Pls explain to me the multitasking u are talking about, can u break it down.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Collinz2(m): 10:25pm On Mar 04, 2015
I love the arguement.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Mar 04, 2015
kallmemrB:
nice post but seems u dont know shit abt Ram ....a 512ram of a window phone is more stable than a 2Gb ram of a Tecno,1gm ram of htc and samsung phones...have u ever wondered Why?......S6 processor is amazing though but samsung are know for their cheap chipset

Well I usually tell people that Iphones are just over-hype gadgets with huge price tag....40k android phone can function wella than a 130k Iphone
dey use style insult tecno phones abi? Lol
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Flashfash: 11:06pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

Pls explain to me the multitasking u are talking about, can u break it down.

A8 and other Apple processors are really catered for single task duties using single core proccessors. Look at the benchmarks. That is the area they excel at. And since iOS an app drawer and lacks real multi-tasking like Android, of course it can appear smoother. Apple processors are always behind in multi core
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2015
Flashfash:

A8 and other Apple processors are really catered for single task duties using single core proccessors. Look at the benchmarks. That is the area they excel at. And since iOS an app drawer and lacks real multi-tasking like Android, of course it can appear smoother. Apple processors are always behind in multi core

U still haven't explained what true multitasking is on a mobile phone. If I can't multi task like I can on a laptop, then I don't see any use. Benchmarks are nothing, what matters is real life use.

Now explain to me what u mean by multitasking. IPhone have app switcher which is the only multitasking required on a mobile phone. If u open a webpage and switch back to cskender, music and any other app, then next day come back to the webpage u opened, it will be there without reloading the page. If I'm playing a game and I receive a phone call or send a text message, then go back to the game, the game would pause and continue from where I stopped. Is that not multitasking? Show me a better way that android does it.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Flashfash: 11:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
abatically:

You call snapdragon 801 an older chipset? The successor is snapdragon 805 and 810 is just being used on 2015 phones. Snapdragon 801 is even thought to be better than 805. And don't be deceived, lollipop is also power hungry, I run lollipop on my 2 phones. If Lollipop is more power efficient then why does the Nexus 6 have an average battery life even with its gigantic 3220 mAh battery. And mind u it runs undiluted stock lollipop, so it should be having a great battery life, but hell no, Galaxy note 4, xperia z3 and z2, all have better battery life even with customized version of kitkat.

Qualcomm has been messing up since 801. That's why sammy ditched 810 for their in house chipset which is a brilliant move. Yes, 801 is outdated. All OS versions are power hungry, iOS8 is too and it's even more unstable than Lollipop. Which devices are you talking about?

Why do you think note 4(exynos) with less battery capacity than nexus 6 and even with Touchwiz lasts longer? Sony is one of the oems that's poor in calibration and optimisation. Sony sensor is usually been used for camera get they produce worst images. Review HTC m8 battery, it last for a day on Kk. Lollipop improved it magnificently.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
Flashfash:

Qualcomm has been messing up since 801. That's why sammy ditched 810 for their in house chipset which is a brilliant move. Yes, 801 is outdated. All OS versions are power hungry, iOS8 is too and it's even more unstable than Lollipop. Which devices are you talking about?

Why do you think note 4(exynos) with less battery capacity than nexus 6 and even with Touchwiz lasts longer? Sony is one of the oems that's poor in calibration and optimisation. Sony sensor is usually been used for camera get they produce worst images. Review HTC m8 battery, it last for a day on Kk. Lollipop improved it magnificently.

I use m8 on lollipop and the battery life doesn't really improve over KitKat. I must commend that HTC did a good thing to optimize their software, way better than stock lollipop
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 11:27pm On Mar 04, 2015
Flashfash:

You are the one that said lollipop is less power hungry, so why then are phones running kitkat with less capacity battery having longer battery life than a nexus 6 with pure android lollipop and mammoth battery? This means lollipop is not as perfect as Google makes us think. Go check nexus 6 reviews, the OS even though is pure android 5.0 is not as smooth as HTC one m7 or m8 running customized KitKat, and battery life is not better than m8 or galaxy note 4 with smaller batteries.

I'm not saying ios8 is more stable, the point I'm trying to make is that more RAM doesn't always mean better performance, iOS devices don't need more ram to perform better so why would apple waste money to add more RAM? The software is well optimized than android. I'm an android fan but I've used iPhones and I know what I'm saying. I still prefer androids to iphones though, but I can't be biased.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by eeemily: 2:19am On Mar 05, 2015
Baroba:

Tech fans will always discuss new innovations and ever changing trends, its a passion, doesn't mean they are all rushing out to get these phones...
Yeah, you are right.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by xtervaganza(m): 3:54am On Mar 05, 2015
ejiro2130:
Op am guessing you don't kw much about apple fones, the s6 is better but not because of what you wrote.

Apple products don't care much about ram size for example my Samsung note 10.1 has 3gig ram but ipad air with 1gig ram is more stable

Nothing in the world of processor beats apple A8 it's a holy grail for processors and why can't u compare them just use benchmark apps

Apple camera was poor but Samsung screen is only better because apple came out last year

Nothing kills apple, It has a loyal fan Base that even Jesus christ will be proud of!!
while I agree with you on other points, I'll say samsung have always had better screen than iphone. It's not because S6 came later or not, samsung have being using hd screen for how many years now? When did apple finally go hd on their screen? Just last year
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 6:40am On Mar 05, 2015
100Cents:

Lol, be serious for once na
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Collinz2(m): 8:22am On Mar 05, 2015
Zohan:

Lol, be serious for once na
the phone is nt out yet.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Lindsaywhatup: 8:29am On Mar 05, 2015
Do not know Yet.

But it is said that Galaxy S6 might have a short battery life since its battery capacity is only 2550mAh, largely smaller than that of phones with the same size.

Besides, high resolution of it will be battery consuming.

And to many people's disappointment, S6 also has an irremovable battery, different from Samsung's previous smartphones.

Therefore, you might need to charge S6 at least twice in a day if you get one.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by obosirow: 9:11am On Mar 05, 2015
Android does true multitasking of apps, just like windows OS on PC.. multiple apps running and updating simultaneously on the background. App optimization is also a key factor and Samsung has decided to do same by drilling down the presence of their own skinning (Touch wiz) of the Stock android. Additionally, Samsung is using the latest in mobile ram architecture - DDR4 as well as fastest flash storage in the industry. All these result in improved overall speed and performance.

Apple iOS does not do true multitasking. The app on the foreground is usually the only app using the processor as well as battery and as such makes the device appear to run smoother and battery last longer. Most apps indicated as running on the background are usually running in an 'hibernated' state. You click them and they resume from the last time you ran them.

For optimization of apps running on the phones, you need also put to consideration that Apple controls their hardware and OS, unlike Samsung that does hardware while google control OS. iOS app developers write apps for just one type of processor (A-series, A6, A7, A8) unlike android app developers that write apps for multiple processors (Snapdragon, MTK, Exynos, Intel, etc) which we all know isn't an easy task; this makes it 'difficult' to optimize apps for android devices to run as smooth.

Note also that when multiple apps are running, they use up more battery juice; this is why 3000mAH battery on a Samsung device may not last as long as iPhones' 2500mAH battery.

These are some of the differences and should be considered when comparing devices from different manufacturers. Windows phone are smooth too because they have been optimized to run majorly snapdragon processors.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 05, 2015
well..... still waiting to use my first samsung S15
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by eeemily: 10:32am On Mar 05, 2015
tdayof:
Samsung S6 will be quite expensive~~~
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by tdayof(m): 10:33am On Mar 05, 2015
eeemily:
Samsung S6 will be quite expensive~~~
how much is the s5?

Cc:amefrica abeg convert am to naira nioo undecided
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by abatically(m): 10:48am On Mar 05, 2015
obosirow:
Android does true multitasking of apps, just like windows OS on PC.. multiple apps running and updating simultaneously on the background. App optimization is also a key factor and Samsung has decided to do same by drilling down the presence of their own skinning (Touch wiz) of the Stock android. Additionally, Samsung is using the latest in mobile ram architecture - DDR4 as well as fastest flash storage in the industry. All these result in improved overall speed and performance.

Apple iOS does not do true multitasking. The app on the foreground is usually the only app using the processor as well as battery and as such makes the device appear to run smoother and battery last longer. Most apps indicated as running on the background are usually running in an 'hibernated' state. You click them and they resume from the last time you ran them.

It doesn't matter how each platform gets it job done, what matters is getting the job done. On a mobile phone, u can't use 2 apps together, one has to be in the background while u run one. Apple apps pause while u switch, and then resumes when u go back to the apps. For me i see nothing wrong with that as it gets the job done and efficient, uses less power and reduces lag. And I don't get what u mean by apps updating in the background. Do u wanna tell me when I'm updating my ios software I can't do other things? Of course i can do other things. I can be watching a movie while my facebook and other apps update, so I don't see any shortcomings here.

Android on the other hand has apps running in the background constantly, but it is never like PC. Are u telling me if I'm playing a game and i get a message, are u telling me the game will start playing in the background while I do other things? The answer is NO. The game will pause and when i go back it continues, this is the same thing it does on IOS so I don't see any sense in these background apps that keep sucking battery on android, it doesn't make sense and I think the OS is not just perfect yet.

Unless u can tell me the MAIN ADVANTAGE of apps running in the background which IOS isn't capable of doing, then I think its a fallacy saying Android is better just because they have apps running in background. This is just like someone going to write an exam, what he really needs is just a pen and paper, but he goes with 10 packs of pen and a whole box of papers... something that is not needed.
Re: Is The Samsung Galaxy S6 A True Iphone 6 Killer? by Flashfash: 10:50am On Mar 05, 2015
Lindsaywhatup:
Do not know Yet.

But it is said that Galaxy S6 might have a short battery life since its battery capacity is only 2550mAh, largely smaller than that of phones with the same size.

Besides, high resolution of it will be battery consuming.

And to many people's disappointment, S6 also has an irremovable battery, different from Samsung's previous smartphones.

Therefore, you might need to charge S6 at least twice in a day if you get one.

Higher battery capacity doesn't mean better battery. Pls always remember this. QHD and FHD consumes same power in OLED so it won't give the battery any problem. The chipset is also designed to consume less power. Generally speaking, the battery life of s6 will be superb.

If You Are Using Infinix Hot Note 3..come In Help Needed Urgently / The New IPHONE SE (2020) Shows Apple's Iphones Have Been Over Priced All Along / Tinder - Everything You Have To Know!

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100