Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,038 members, 7,807,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues (14506 Views)

Meet The Graduate Who Dumped Her Career To Make Money Flaunting Her Bum Online. / See What Charming Actress Irewole Said About Her Career / Watch How Beautiful Yoruba Actress Started Her Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by pickabeau1: 6:26am On Mar 06, 2015
valdetino:

Hello bro. I love the way u adviced her on this topic. pls r u on what's App? There is some thing I will like u to advice me on. Here is my contact 08069355320
Not on whatsapp

You can put it here or send me a pm
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by casiello(m): 6:27am On Mar 06, 2015
[quote author=MizMyColi post=31326426][/quote]
You obviously need a new challenge as you are getting comfortable there. It's Probably best if you move to another company, Seems like you need a change of scenery, you need to see new faces as your colleague, have a new unfamiliar boss and start learning how to please the new boss, have new goals and responsibilities etc. You basically need a new challenge because you've become too comfortable at your present workplace.
May I ask, what professional course at you taking? ICAN, CIPM etc. Your professional course should guide your career decision.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by tolutweety(m): 6:29am On Mar 06, 2015
opokonwa:

Very well Sir. Please do so.

_You have got a mail ,sir
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by fanzz: 7:25am On Mar 06, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]

Call me,,
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 8:14am On Mar 06, 2015
ojaydedon:
so lu obi gi..

Mana tupu e hapu olu nke iji na aka, ka obulu na i chota na odi olu nke di gi na obi..

Mana tinye ya na ekpere ka monso me pe anya mmuo gi..

Mana gini ka ndi be gi na ekwu maka ya

Ndi bem sokwa acholum olu.

Da'alu so smiley
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 8:22am On Mar 06, 2015
opokonwa:
So much love on this thread already.

Nigerians giving candid advice all to MizMyColi. No bad comment yet in 3 pages? Nne i di kwa lucky smiley

My 2 cents.

You are either a risk-taker or you're not. You either have had your frustrations or sedentary work-life up to your throat or you have not.
Once you get to that limit, you will either start developing negative responses to your work environment or you quit.

Quitting and the prospects out there is not easy you know. So you are either a risk-taker or you're not.

No company will offer you everything you need. At least not in Nigeria.
In your case, it's obvious you need 'more challenges'. I put this in parenthesis because challenges can either be pleasant or unpleasant. But challenges create 'experiences' which you will never get in that 'cottage office'. Excuse my French.

It's obvious your soul needs experiences, challenges and a change.
Take it! Apply to job opportunities anywhere and everywhere that catches your fancy. Search out numerous job/career sites, build your Linkedin profile, connect with people but most of all throw a bit of caution to the wind.

(You cannot do the same things each day and expect different results....Albert Einstein called it 'Insanity')

You are young, unsettled and unburdened with responsibilities, you even have your parents to fall back on. You are somewhat restless, have an adventurous personality and somewhat free-spirited. You cannot compliment that personality with that office, work environment and colleagues whom you vividly described earlier. So, oil and water do not mix no matter how hard you try to logically justify your continued stay.

So this is the time to take some risks (if you have the heart).
This is the time you should try and get out there and pursue some of your dreams before age, responsibilities and attachment to job security catches up with you.

(if your dreams do not scare you, then they are not big enough....quoting Sir Richard Branson)

But you have to accept that not all your experiences will be nice. They are not all meant to be. In fact you have to make some mistakes to learn, some painful ones too.

I was in your situation in 2007, just 3 years after my 1st job. I was stuck in a rot. I was throwing about 10 CVs a week to any company that will give me the requisite experience. I even attended interviews for jobs that I later rejected just to weigh my options.

Finally made a breakthrough in 2010 and since then have worked for 4 companies (2 of them top international brands) in positions most of my mates can only dream of.

Oh yes, I have also had bad experiences like getting dumped from 2 of the companies, going from no-pressure to super-high pressure, getting on the wrong end of corporate politics, staying back at home sometimes when your ex-colleagues are going to work (for lack of work), experiencing the highs and lows of climbing the corporate career ladder. But my, it is all worth it.

Do I have a paid job at the moment? No. But I just turned down an opportunity to be a Director in a private company 2 days ago.
Why? I was not convinced that taking that job was in my best interest.

Am I in the job market now? Yes.
But would I just take any job offer thrown at me? No. Sincerely and humbly, I have passed that stage.

Am I idle? No.
Currently engaged in a few strategic hustles here and there.
Also have a lot of time now to ponder on the various possibilities before me.
I also do have a lot of time for soul searching, inner growth and communication with God (the last 2 jobs took some of those times away).

I will stop here at the risk of beginning to sound like a thriller-novelist wink

Summary: Follow Your Heart Without Fear. Take The Risks Now. Make The Moves And Mistakes Now and Start Learning.

You are Young.

And Finally, Please Do Not Follow The Crowd. cool

Waowzest!!
That was thrilling!
Loool

I read every bit, like my breakfast depended on it.
grin

Thank you smiley
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 8:28am On Mar 06, 2015
casiello:

You obviously need a new challenge as you are getting comfortable there. It's Probably best if you move to another company, Seems like you need a change of scenery, you need to see new faces as your colleague, have a new unfamiliar boss and start learning how to please the new boss, have new goals and responsibilities etc. You basically need a new challenge because you've become too comfortable at your present workplace.
May I ask, what professional course at you taking? ICAN, CIPM etc. Your professional course should guide your career decision.

You have a perfect picture too.
Thanks.

I'm currently running a professional diploma in advertising course.
From here, I might do a professional course in marketing or personnel management.
Better still, get that MBA.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 10:08am On Mar 06, 2015
@Pickabeau1
@opokonwa
@Crazyman
@Kaboninc
@Jarus
@Cassiello
@Tolutweeety

Please does anyone know a firm in need of a human resources/recruitment officer?
I have a friend who isn't a Nairalander, I sent him the link to this thread and after reading it, he said to help him ask.

He's currently receiving 146,000 and has a 2 yr 7 months experience as a human resources/recruitment officer.
His reason for leaving is that the company has no structure, salaries and allowances aren't paid on time (or at all) and the salary being paid isn't enough to take care of family needs.

Any ideas please?

Anyone with useful info should please help.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by silentachieverr(m): 10:12am On Mar 06, 2015
Mizmycoli, if i got you well, u said u have access to unlimited internet, i feel u can start by sending your CV's to reputable firms that suit your specified career choice. Use the Job and Vacancies section of Nairaland judiciously. You said you are practically your own boss, you can as well as go for any interview when u are called, even if the office car is not available, use ut money to go. I really do feel you should change jobs but don't accept the training package from the coy so u are not indebted in any way to them. You are smart by the way!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 10:22am On Mar 06, 2015
silentachieverr:
Mizmycoli, if i got you well, u said u have access to unlimited internet, i feel u can start by sending your CV's to reputable firms that suit your specified career choice. Use the Job and Vacancies section of Nairaland judiciously. You said you are practically your own boss, you can as well as go for any interview when u are called, even if the office car is not available, use ut money to go. I really do feel you should change jobs but don't accept the training package from the coy so u are not indebted in any way to them. You are smart by the way!

Thank you!
I will most def make use of the resources at my disposal.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by fejikudz(m): 12:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
Learned alot from this thread.
MizmyColi (hope i got it right), thanks for bringing up this topic.
seems i,ll be visiting this career section very often

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by luxanne(f): 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
First off, thanks for this thread dear, I also have learnt a lot from the various advice and suggestions commented here, thank you.

@Post, I will also reiterate the don't-leave-your-current-job cliche. Yeah, I know how you feel being there, being redundant and what have you but fact is, you don't have anytin to fall back on (now this right here is my worry n everyone else's singing this cliche. Considering the crazy job situation in our country and the fact that u can atleast train ursef with the money earned from ur coy as well as render assistance to ur siblings is something you should ponder about not lightly) but however, if you do have a better alternative to being there, then pls and pls do leave.

I have a friend who's thinking of resigning from his organization also but he's not just gonna up and leave, infact he's currently working on his personal project to have it up and running before he resigns. His mind has been made up on not ever working with any org cept on consultancy basis, now this is more like it.

I agree ur job isn't giving you what you desire but atleast its giving you TIME, time to build yourself up and get more certified in areas you'l love to work in ( you know, people will give anything to have this time as their current job ain't being merciful for them to indulge in other goals of theirs). Hence I'l advice you stay put and use your free time to source for ur kind of job while also getting better equipped for it.

And about the part sponsorship from ur coy, I'l go with your folks sponsoring ur course but if they can't, you can collect the sponsorship only as a loan. Or better yet, if u can sponsor ur course, and you don't wanna seem like you rejecting your coy offer, I'l say collect the money and tell them u gonna pay back but don't make use of this money, keep it in ur account. So when the final day come for you to leave, make the withdraw and let them have the money back, let it be their decision to either give it back to you or keep it after knowing u resigned so as to ease ur conscience.

And to where you should think of applying, just like you, am also a people-oriented being, so I think you should also consider NGOs in ur job search (I'l give anything to work in one), you'l strive more and be more satisfied, accomplished and fulfilled in this kinda jobs.

All the best sweerie, muah kiss

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by CrazyMan(m): 1:22pm On Mar 06, 2015
MizMyColi:
@Pickabeau1
@opokonwa
@Crazyman
@Kaboninc
@Jarus
@Cassiello
@Tolutweeety

Please does anyone know a firm in need of a human resources/recruitment officer?
I have a friend who isn't a Nairalander, I sent him the link to this thread and after reading it, he said to help him ask.

He's currently receiving 146,000 and has a 2 yr 7 months experience as a human resources/recruitment officer.
His reason for leaving is that the company has no structure, salaries and allowances aren't paid on time (or at all) and the salary being paid isn't enough to take care of family needs.

Any ideas please?

Send this link to him.

https://ngcareers.com/category/human-resources-jobs

Note: They are random postings, so I have very little idea on their salary structure.

But considering his years of experience on that field (Human resource) I'm sure that if he gives it a try, he's likely to have a positive result.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by HFOG(f): 1:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
fejikudz:
Learned alot from this thread.
MizmyColi (hope i got it right), thanks for bringing up this topic.
seems i,ll be visiting this career section very often
Ditto
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
CrazyMan:

Send this link to him.

https://ngcareers.com/category/human-resources-jobs

Note: They are random postings, so I have very little idea on their salary structure.

But considering his years of experience on that field (Human resource) I'm sure that if he gives it a try, he's likely to have a positive result.

Good luck.
Thank you smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by iykedare(m): 3:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
MizMyColi:
@Pickabeau1
@opokonwa
@Crazyman
@Kaboninc
@Jarus
@Cassiello
@Tolutweeety

Any ideas please?

GOOGLE IAA ASSOCIATES LTD
They needed a HR manager few weeks ago. I`m not so sure if they`ve gotten anyone and I don't know how much he/she will be paid. His/her bargaining power counts here.

**I actually find myself in this same situation. **

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by iykedare(m): 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
I work in a top structural engineering firm in lagos and I tell ya,i ve been involved in so many big projects. In recent time,I ve discovered that I ve lost drive and motivation for the job. People dont quite understand me when I tell them that my well paying job bore me. So I ve decided to help myself by going for my masters in a course that is slightly different from what I majored in. My family and friends think I m stupid for wanting to go to Canada for the masters and spending all my life savings when I can just continue my work here and collect my salary at each month end. In your own case,it seems the people around you understand and encourage you but it is not the same with me. I WILL GO FOR MY MASTERS AND FACE WHATEVER RISK THAT COME WITH SUCH DECISION. Do whatever you feel will make you happy in the long run.

**Back to work**

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 4:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
iykedare:
I work in a top structural engineering firm in lagos and I tell ya,i ve been involved in so many big projects. In recent time,I ve discovered that I ve lost drive and motivation for the job. People dont quite understand me when I tell them that my well paying job bore me. So I ve decided to help myself by going for my masters in a course that is slightly different from what I majored in. My family and friends think I m stupid for wanting to go to Canada for the masters and spending all my life savings when I can just continue my work here and collect my salary at each month end. In your own case,it seems the people around you understand and encourage you but it is not the same with me. I WILL GO FOR MY MASTERS AND FACE WHATEVER RISK THAT COME WITH SUCH DECISION. Do whatever you feel will make you happy in the long run.

**Back to work**

Thanks.
But, isn't there a way to work and study for you?
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by iykedare(m): 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
MizMyColi:

Thanks.
But, isn't there a way to work and study for you?

I hope to work (during holidays) and school when I get to Canada. I really need the masters cos it could be what I need to kill the boredom I face right now. Btw,i chose canada cos i want to settle there after studies.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 4:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
luxanne:

shocked
How did I almost miss this.

Thanks Dearie.
You have spoken well.
kiss
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 4:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
iykedare:

I hope to work (during holidays) and school when I get to Canada. I really need the masters cos it could be what I need to kill the boredom I face right now. Btw,i chose canada cos i want to settle there after studies.

Okay cool, since you have a plan.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by iykedare(m): 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2015
we need to be mindful of the following facts....

1. Fear of not getting a job immediately after the stress of getting the new qualification.
2. Lack of experience in our new job could mean entry level money is what we get. undecided. Employers don't care if you have 7 years experience in another field.

Hope you are tough enough for what lies ahead.

But with God,all things are .........

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2015
iykedare:
we need to be mindful of the following facts....

1. Fear of not getting a job immediately after the stress of getting the new qualification.
2. Lack of experience in our new job could mean entry level money is what we get. undecided. Employers don't care if you have 7 years experience in another field.

Hope you are tough enough for what lies ahead.

But with God,all things are .........

Possible.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MightyFortress: 11:32pm On Mar 06, 2015
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by linnyx: 11:58am On Mar 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

Yes, thanks dear.
I know they see me as an asset....but then......*sighs*

I would want people to offer more insight on where to lookout for.
[b]I need a firm that delivers value in terms of structure, personal development and company development.
Where there are processes and systems in place.
[/b]

Trust me dear, if na pay matter, I am not so keen.
But then, improvement suppose dey naw. You get wink

grin

There are very few firms that will give you what you want in terms of structure, personal devpt etc.
My suggestion - since it seems you have time in your hands even at work why not start thinking of something to create or build especially a business/firm along the lines you just mentioned
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 12:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
linnyx:

There are very few firms that will give you what you want in terms of structure, personal devpt etc.
My suggestion - since it seems you have time in your hands even at work why not start thinking of something to create or build especially a business/firm along the lines you just mentioned

Maybe a few years from now.
I need to garner more knowledge and industry contacts to set out.

Thanks all the same smiley
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by xfire: 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2015
Just seeing this.
I guess the OP has received quality advice and guidance already.

Cheers...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 12:03pm On Mar 12, 2015
xfire:
Just seeing this.
I guess the OP has received quality advice and guidance already.

Cheers...
smiley

True that.
But you could still chirp in yours.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by zicoraads: 8:12am On Mar 17, 2015
MizMyColi... Good morning kiss
Uhmmmm...help a brother embarassed

What's the most believable lie to tell a boss to escape and travel for a one day journey for an interview? That is apart from the over flogged feigning of 'I am ill and need to go home'.
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by MizMyColi(f): 9:50am On Mar 17, 2015
zicoraads:
Miz MyColi... Good morning kiss
Uhmmmm...help a brother embarassed

What's the most believable lie to tell a boss to escape and travel for a one day journey for an interview? That is apart from the over flogged feigning of 'I am ill and need to go home'.

Honestly....
I dunno o o.

I really can't come up with anything tangible.

Let me call my friends.
Pickabeau1 and Crackhaus lipsrsealed

grin
Re: A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues by pickabeau1: 10:07am On Mar 17, 2015
zicoraads

How many sick days have you taken off to do interviews
If the sick days are so much.. you really need to change ur job grin

You may need to request for a one day leave to attend to a personal issue

cc: MizMyColi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria / Court Orders MTN To Pay 63 Sacked Staff 4yrs & Post-disengagement Salary / Which Of This Skills Should I Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.