Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC (4241 Views)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting / Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? / My MD Slapped Me, Please I Need Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 05, 2015
I am a student of a university in Nigeria studyin Microbiology.
I would like too study medicine immediately after my bsc degree.
I don't know if I can do this before my Nysc.
pls help.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by rossychik(f): 4:16pm On Mar 05, 2015
Well dt means u have defer ur service

4 medicin I think u shud start takin ur jamb just in case
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by CrazyMan(m): 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2015
derrick015:
pls help.
Ok I want to understand you properly.

You're currently studying MCB right?

You would like to study medicine after you must have gotten your Bsc in MCB right?

In as much as I admire your zeal in acquiring knowledge, you should know that everything in life comes with challenges.

Let's see those challenges and know if its really worth it.

1. Sponsorship: If your parents are the ones sponsoring you in your current Microbiology program, I doubt they would spend another money sponsoring you to study medicine for another 6-8 years. If you have a sponsor who is willing to shoulder the responsibilities or you have enough funds to sponsor yourself, no problem.

2. Time factor: Over 70% of Nigerians graduate from the university in their Mid 20s. So let's assume you're in your mid 20s when you graduate, do you think it would be wise to purchase JAMB form and start seeking admission at that age again? Imagine you abandoning you Microbiology certificate and sitting for JAMB at age 26 simply because you want to study medicine, is that really what you want for yourself?

3. JAMB: What if you fail, or you don't reach the cut off mark for your institution, or your result gets sized or missing, what would you do?

4. Alternatives: There are alternatives for you. You can go for Msc upon graduation, then PhD.

The choice is yours.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 05, 2015
CrazyMan:

You would like to study medicine after you must have gotten your Bsc in MCB right?

In as much as I admire your zeal in acquiring knowledge, you should know that everything in life comes with challenges.

1. Sponsorship: If your parents are the ones sponsoring you in your current Microbiology program, I doubt they would spend another money sponsoring you to study medicine for another 6-8 years. If you have a sponsor who is willing to shoulder the responsibilities or you have enough funds to sponsor yourself, no problem.

2. Time factor: Over 70% of Nigerians graduate from the university in their Mid 20s. So let's assume you're in your mid 20s when you graduate, do you think it would be wise to purchase JAMB form and start seeking admission at that age again? Imagine you abandoning you Microbiology certificate and sitting for JAMB at age 26 simply because you want to study medicine, is that really what you want for yourself?

3. JAMB: What if you fail, or you don't reach the cut off mark for your institution, or your result gets sized or missing, what would you do?

4. Alternatives: There are alternatives for you. You can go for Msc upon graduation, then PhD.

The choice is yours.

Good luck.
will be 21 wen I graduate
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by CrazyMan(m): 7:56pm On Mar 05, 2015
derrick015:

will be 21 wen I graduate
21? That's great. How about sponsorship...are your parents willing to sponsor you?
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 05, 2015
CrazyMan:

21? That's great. How about sponsorship...are your parents willing to sponsor you?
yea
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by CrazyMan(m): 8:02pm On Mar 05, 2015
derrick015:

yea
Alright then...good luck.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by AIZubair(m): 9:35pm On Mar 05, 2015
Bad idea. Please stick to crazyman's advice I beg you
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by sholay2011(m): 1:18am On Mar 06, 2015
AIZubair:
Bad idea. Please stick to crazyman's advice I beg you
The quoted is a bad idea too.

Please stick with what your heart is telling you. In situations like this, one's case may just be an exception, the rare success story of persistence everyone wishes to tell but can't risk going for it...

You are 21 years (age is kinda on your side), your parents are willing...so far you're sure this is what you WANT to do, go for it...and ensure to make the risk worth it.

I will suggest you go abroad for the Medicine programme if possible (not sure how that works though, but just a suggestion).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by jejemanito: 6:06am On Mar 06, 2015
The only thing that should stop the op from crazyman's advice is if he finished with a G.P below 4.0. For christ's sake 21 years old? If your parents are well to do then you should go for service (by 23 you are through) then go overseas and do your masters (say by 25 you are done) and then go all the way to Ph.D(by 29 you're done) come back to nigeria and make as many publications as possible and befor you know it you're a professor at atmost 40 years old embarassed

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2015
thank u all for advice
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Giannakopoulos(f): 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
derrick015:
thank u all for advice
Go for Medicine,but if you want it through Direct Entry (year 2) most schools insist you tender your results and NYSC discharge certificate,so you'll definitely need to serve first,but Medicine is always a better option to me over MSc,PhD. MSc in Nigeria is 2years (ie if you are lucky to have a good,steady supervisor, PhD is 3-4 years with the same fate) totaling to about 7years( ie if your supervisor is steady,if not,you may spend up to 8-9years in it),then you will now go job hunting again. But DE to medicine is 5 years after which you go straight to housemanship with a pay of not lower than 150k/month. Considering the Nigerian economy.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
thanks
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
i would appreciate some more advice
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by ednut1(m): 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2015
hope ur grade is 2.1 nd from a beta uni . u shud serve and apply for DE dats if u hv good grade o
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by KELVIN086: 1:02pm On Mar 08, 2015
jejemanito:
The only thing that should stop the op from crazyman's advice is if he finished with a G.P below 4.0. For christ's sake 21 years old? If your parents are well to do then you should go for service (by 23 you are through) then go overseas and do your masters (say by 25 you are done) and then go all the way to Ph.D(by 29 you're done) come back to nigeria and make as many publications as possible and befor you know it you're a professor at atmost 40 years old embarassed

wake up from this dream, its not that easy.

i cant remember when i posted this

5 Likes

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2015
some more advice please
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 17, 2015
I just noticed now that I will be 23 in my first year if i actually study medicine.
This be cos i dont get a chance to write jamb until next year.I[i]s that age not too much?[/i]
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Gbsks: 4:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
No it is not, come to oau college of health sciences and you will see medical students in part two that are older than 25, i even know a medical student in part 3 and he is in his mid-thirties
derrick015:
I just noticed now that I will be 23 in my first year if i actually study medicine.
This be cos i dont get a chance to write jamb until next year.I[i]s that age not too much?[/i]

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
Gbsks:
No it is not, come to oau college of health sciences and you will see medical students in part two that are older than 25, i even know a medical student in part 3 and he is in his mid-thirties
Thanks
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by asdfjklhaha(f): 11:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
Pls just follow ur heart @ 21 ur still young and can still go 4 medicine.

Cc Lalasticlala pls front page.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 18, 2015
asdfjklhaha:
Pls just follow ur heart @ 21 ur still young and can still go 4 medicine.

Cc Lalasticlala pls front page.
Thanks
hw do I make it get to the front page pls
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Lawalsuleiman(m): 3:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
I'm in same predicament like the Op, only exception is I'm a graduate already and in my mind 20's. My advice to you is to Define what Success means to you. Are you running MBBS for thyself or is it the "my father wants me to study Medicine" kinda of talk. Get your answer, give justifications and ACT. Ultimately your success in life isn't tied to a course of study.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by shoo266: 3:57pm On Mar 18, 2015
First I will like to ask what exactly u want in medicine. If u really have the passion and u ar ready to sacrifice for it then it makes alot of sense. But if u ar goin into medicine bcuz u think ther is easy money.pls do av a rethink. I am a medical doctor and dt is my sincere advice
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by complete20: 8:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
CrazyMan:

The choice is yours.

Good luck.
U must seriously consider this . u dont wanna just go ahead and make a decision without considering this
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
complete20:

U must seriously consider this . u dont wanna just go ahead and make a decision without considering this
I ave considered it. thanks anyway
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by bubenwsou: 11:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
This might help you decide http://bubenwosu.com/blog/self-discovery-and-how-it-affects-your-success/
derrick015:
pls help.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 19, 2015
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by complete20: 9:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 31, 2015
derrick015:
pls help.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 20, 2015
[quote author=derrick015 post=37516537][/quote]I wanna thank u all for ur advice
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Advice,medicine Before NYSC by KELVIN086: 11:05pm On Dec 20, 2015
op, hope u went for medicine, u would never regret ur decision.Medicine would always be a lucrative field 10,20 and 30 more years to come.
Infact u can even become a plastic surgeon and charge big bucks like Dr 90210 for body modification(this would soon become a trend in nigeria . Medicine has a lot of opportunities one can explore.

(1) (Reply)

Pregnancy And My Job / Free Mini Importation Business Training (whatsapp Group) / The Young, The Bold And The Free! --- Mini MBA Series ---

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.