Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,338 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

My Tech Start-up Journey - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Tech Start-up Journey (41423 Views)

Could You Start Up An Online Business? / Journey: (DAY 20 - $105 so far) Follow Me As I Make Money On Fiverr From Scratch / A New Tech Start-up, Can You Call It A Success After 3 Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Olucheye(m): 8:40am On Apr 27, 2015
surveycash:

Let me have the full title

Could you help me with a download link to these books;

The Luxury Strategy

starting a Tech Business

Lastly, The unfair fight.

thank you.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by surveycash(m): 9:39am On Apr 30, 2015
Olucheye:

The Luxury Strategy

starting a Tech Business

thank you.

Use The Luxury Strategy filetype:pdf on Google, you will get them. Can't post links here without getting banned.

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Olucheye(m): 10:00am On Apr 30, 2015
surveycash:

Use The Luxury Strategy filetype:pdf on Google, you will get them. Can't post links here without getting banned.

I tried that but couldn't get anything substantial. Could you possibly have the direct download links sent to an email please?
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by surveycash(m): 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
Olucheye:

I tried that but couldn't get anything substantial. Could you possibly have the direct download links sent to an email please?

Let's give it a try. Will 3 links/title so you can check out which is which.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Olucheye(m): 9:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
surveycash:

Let's give it a try. Will 3 links/title so you can check out which is which.

PM sent sir
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by empowerdex(m): 2:13pm On May 27, 2015
surveycash:

Let me have the full title
Alex cowan how to start a successful tech business thanks
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by jaybanfa(m): 4:00pm On May 27, 2015
@OP just joined your thread today and I have been having some serious wow! moments.I hope I'll be able to catchup quickly.

1 Like

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hi everyone

Apologies for the hiatus. I've been back and hustling to get things going.

I've done a few experiments and pivoted a little bit so y'all will be hearing about it.

I'm also in a start-up competition and hoping to win it so keep your fingers crossed for me.

So the journey is back on the road and i'm fully hands on so get ready for a rocky but eventful ride.

1 Like

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 5:37am On Jun 03, 2015
Learning on the go

So since i've returned, everyday has just been a learning experience. The first thing i did was to organize a seminar to try and gather a group of my potential customers and offer them some of my expert knowledge while demoing the advantage of using my startups services. I was able to get on the radio to promote it as well as do other things. Which included handing out flyers and speaking to random people in public. I tell you this start-up life is not sexy.

The seminar came and went and we were able to take some positive learning from it and were able to sign up a few customers. Subsequent to this i decided to shift my focus a little bit to a different aspect of the value proposition to see if it will make customer acquisition easier. So we refined the product to suit this new focus and we are trying to push it. Our target is a specific number of customers by the end of the month. Hopefully we achieve it despite the long sales cycle that is becoming more and more apparent in this my sector.

On the staff front, i hired a part time assistant to do some little jobs for me here and there as i need to. He's not making the cut however so will have to let him go soon. I've some start-up competitions coming up in the near future that i'll be pitching in so watch out for me and extend some encouragement my way because this start-up life no easy at all!
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 5:48am On Jun 03, 2015
Enabling Environment

My philosophy on life and business is that your success lies within you and the effort you make (for the most part). Now having said that the life of the entrepreneur in Nigeria could be made so much easier by a lot of people. The amount of obstacles that are in the way are just tiring. It seems that as a country and people we still lack the understanding that entrepreneurship is the lifeblood of the economy and the only way to lift us out of the abyss we currently find ourselves in.

How is one supposed to start up and run a business when you're running around looking for non existent petrol for your generator due to the non existent electricity, or the numerous tax collectors that knock on your door as soon as you open for business. When you do finally manage to open your doors, everyone along the way is looking for a cut or percentage with little to no input. The things i'm seeing at the coalface beggars belief.

My take: New businesses should be given a total tax holiday for the first 3 years and if anything should be given grants and low interest rate loans to help them succeed. We speak about jobs, jobs, jobs. It is simple really, MSME are the largest job providers the world over, support this sector and see unemployment rates nose dive. Buy from your local sellers and businesses. Don't make things unnecessarily hard in your work place for business people. If you can help a business get a contract, please minimise 'cut taking'. You never know, that small business may grow to the big business that will give your son or daughter a job in the future.

The country will only succeed when MSME's thrive.

Rant over!

5 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nmeri17: 12:10am On Jun 11, 2015
still following. when you say "traction" in a lay man's terms what do you mean??
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by empowerdex(m): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2015
Olucheye:

The Luxury Strategy

starting a Tech Business

thank you.

olucheye please do you have a copy of alex cowans book ill appreciate it if you can send me a copy
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Olucheye(m): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2015
empowerdex:

olucheye please do you have a copy of alex cowans book ill appreciate it if you can send me a copy

No i don't have it.
I intend buying it on iBooks but the exchange rate hasn't been too encouraging.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 8:06am On Jul 20, 2015
Nmeri17:
still following. when you say "traction" in a lay man's terms what do you mean??

Traction simply translates to getting users that are using and liking your product and their continued growth at a reasonable rate. It is the most important thing for early stage startups.

2 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2015
Ongoing Learning

So it's been a good number of weeks now deep in the trenches of the startup life. I've tried to focus on selling to and learning about my customers. It's not been easy but been quite an experience. Over this time i've gained more insights into what the customer will most likely pay for and use. This insight has translated into a slight pivot in our product and customer focus.

Having done all this learning, i'm now in the process of putting a team together to execute. As most startup advisors will tell you, the only roles one should hire for at an early stage tech startup are - Sales and technical/ coding. These are the only roles we are thus hiring for. As we can barely afford salaries. I've decided upon intern like positions targeted at post NYSC grads. I'll train and manage them closely on short term contracts. Whoever shows promise and delivers will be progressed on to more executive roles.

As for technical talent, this will be a challenge as we can't realistically afford the type of people we will like. We are hoping to strike lucky with someone who would have a passion for what we are trying to do. Time will tell.

This week i get to attend the global entrepreneurship summit in Nairobi, I'm hoping something good comes of it. So if anyone is going there, you can check me out at the innovation marketplace on the youth and women day.

4 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Olucheye(m): 12:31am On Jul 21, 2015
1k001:
Ongoing Learning

So it's been a good number of weeks now deep in the trenches of the startup life. I've tried to focus on selling to and learning about my customers. It's not been easy but been quite an experience. Over this time i've gained more insights into what the customer will most likely pay for and use. This insight has translated into a slight pivot in our product and customer focus.

Having done all this learning, i'm now in the process of putting a team together to execute. As most startup advisors will tell you, the only roles one should hire for at an early stage tech startup are - Sales and technical/ coding. These are the only roles we are thus hiring for. As we can barely afford salaries. I've decided upon intern like positions targeted at post NYSC grads. I'll train and manage them closely on short term contracts. Whoever shows promise and delivers will be progressed on to more executive roles.

As for technical talent, this will be a challenge as we can't realistically afford the type of people we will like. We are hoping to strike lucky with someone who would have a passion for what we are trying to do. Time will tell.

This week i get to attend the global entrepreneurship summit in Nairobi, I'm hoping something good comes of it. So if anyone is going there, you can check me out at the innovation marketplace on the youth and women day.

Congratulations Man!
I will be following the summit from home.

2 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nmeri17: 7:13pm On Jul 21, 2015
good to know you're still pushing and grinding. success beckons. salute!!
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 7:19am On Aug 29, 2015
Guess an update is due:

Got the opportunity to be at the GES, was inspiring and overwhelming in many respects. So many great young people doing awesome things, here in Africa and around the world. Shared the same room with pres Obama and Kenyatta. I was part of a particular sub-group within GES where we got some days of focused startup training and mentorship.

A lot of focus is on entrepreneurship in Africa, with different funds being launched for us. Particular interest is in female and young entrepreneurs. So this time is one of the greatest times ever in the world to be an African entrepreneur. So many are counting on our success and are willing to support. The yardstick however is excellence, No one will support a half-assed effort.

On my return from the GES i got to meet Pres Buhari as an exhibitor at an international youth day event. I told him how we are creating new jobs and opportunities in the tech sector. Not sure all of it got across but the hope is that the government does more to support new businesses who create jobs and pay taxes. Cash is tricky and real estate in particular is expensive. In my case, I recently left the small serviced office space I was and moved into a bigger office space at great cost. It's necessary however to accommodate our staff. No sooner had the paint dried on the walls before a tax collector came knocking. I so wanted to box his head in! but that's the Nigeria we're in. You struggle hard to get your business up and running, the government that had no hand whatsoever in it, in fact delayed and made things difficult for you, comes looking for tax. This needs to change.

2 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 7:45am On Aug 29, 2015
Pivot

Following the training at GES and due to the lukewarm market response we'd had, we decided to pivot and focus in on proving a smaller concept and providing more immediate value in terms customers can understand simply. To do this i spent close to 2 weeks sitting with a customer and observing what they did and tried to understand the problems they have and what their goals are. I went on to hack a solution together with excel and other simple tools. They liked it and we went on to code an MDP (minimum desirable product).

This customer is currently trialing it and will likely start to pay soon. I also went out to look for more customers via direct selling to qualified leads and online ads. This has yielded 3 more customers and a chain of businesses who will trial it. The hope is we are able to convert them to full customers after the trial period. So we are now exclusively B2B rather than the crazy hybrid we were unequipped to attack

I'm now currently creating marketing material and hiring sales staff to go out and generate as many leads as possible. Key being to target innovators/ early adopters (search 'diffusion of innovation' to understand this). We're hiring graduate interns for sales and marketing roles. If you know any young person who is smart, outgoing and enterprising, Ask them to send a cv and cover letter to abujadatacollection@gmail.com

Key learning

- Focus on 1 key problem
- Solve that problem excellently
- Relate it to revenue
- Find innovators/ early adopters ( difficult to do, but think of it as a numbers game as they're only 2.5% of the population. Must talk to 100 to get 2.5)
- Get it in their hands early

If your customer can't understand how your solution helps them make more money in less than a minute of explaining, you're on a long thing.

4 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Jetworlder(m): 8:03am On Aug 29, 2015
Websites for sale; www.finestgist.com and www.peerdig.com. Contact me if you are interested.
Theojethro@gmail.com
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by databoy247(m): 12:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
1k001:
Pivot

Following the training at GES and due to the lukewarm market response we'd had, we decided to pivot and focus in on proving a smaller concept and providing more immediate value in terms customers can understand simply. To do this i spent close to 2 weeks sitting with a customer and observing what they did and tried to understand the problems they have and what their goals are. I went on to hack a solution together with excel and other simple tools. They liked it and we went on to code an MDP (minimum desirable product).

This customer is currently trialing it and will likely start to pay soon. I also went out to look for more customers via direct selling to qualified leads and online ads. This has yielded 3 more customers and a chain of businesses who will trial it. The hope is we are able to convert them to full customers after the trial period. So we are now exclusively B2B rather than the crazy hybrid we were unequipped to attack

I'm now currently creating marketing material and hiring sales staff to go out and generate as many leads as possible. Key being to target innovators/ early adopters (search 'diffusion of innovation' to understand this). We're hiring graduate interns for sales and marketing roles. If you know any young person who is smart, outgoing and enterprising, Ask them to send a cv and cover letter to abujadatacollection@gmail.com

Key learning

- Focus on 1 key problem
- Relate it to revenue
- Find innovators/ early adopters ( difficult to do, but think of it as a numbers game as they're only 2.5% of the population. Must talk to 100 to get 2.5)

If your customer can't understand how your solution helps them make more money in less than a minute of explaining, you're on a long thing.
Nice. But I must insist, is it not time to reveal your product or what your start-up is about? I believe you have been doing some pitching and marketing, plus product display expose at stands in events. Why cant we here in NL know what the product is all about? You never can tell if my organization will become an instant paying customer or if i can recommend some potential customers.

Or are you still scared your idea will be stolen? We are all itching to know.....let the cat out of the bag. cheesy
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 12:21am On Aug 31, 2015
databoy247:

Nice. But I must insist, is it not time to reveal your product or what your start-up is about? I believe you have been doing some pitching and marketing, plus product display expose at stands in events. Why cant we here in NL know what the product is all about? You never can tell if my organization will become an instant paying customer or if i can recommend some potential customers.

Or are you still scared your idea will be stolen? We are all itching to know.....let the cat out of the bag. cheesy

Ideas are everywhere so not scared of it being stolen. Like you said, i've pitched in different forums, exhibited and been on TV and Radio so not an issue. Here though I like the fact that i can express general thoughts without fielding specific questions on my own particular start-up. Also like being able to say things openly without prejudice to my startup's interests.

On the customer part, my ideal customers are most unlikely to be reading this thread or even be on Nairaland at all. I'm seeking for reliable and scalable ways to find them. So this forum or even media mentions aren't a customer acquisition focus for me.

1 Like

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 12:56am On Aug 31, 2015
Selecting your customer

I want to comment on selecting what customers to target for a startup in Nigeria. Hopefully some of my experience is useful for others.

When i started out i new that ultimately we will end up targeting all types of customers. I refer to the following broad options:

- B2C - Selling to consumer
- B2G - Selling to government
- B2B - selling to other businesses

As a startup, resources are limited so you must focus on one particular market. We opted to go with B2C with the hope that that would give us the necessary clout to progress to the others.

I however severely underestimated how hard this would be. It turns out that in order to achieve a good level of revenue from consumers, you need quite deep pockets to reach them in the first place. Traditional B2C marketing is expensive and difficult to maintain attention, hence the big figures top brands spend on advertising campaigns. Startups that are able to match them are often well funded (think Konga, Jumia, OLX). As a small startup this is impossible to compete with. Ways to circumvent this are: using social media or search engine marketing, on the assumption that your product is amenable to these channels.

Next option is to sell to the government. Very attractive option. You come up with an idea, approach the government agency it concerns. They love it, fund you to build it and voila, you're in the money. If only it was that easy! The convoluted nature of doing anything with the Nigerian government makes this option almost akin to suicide. It's still possible though and people have been known to make things happen. For me however, I find the incentive structure for government so strange that i can't relate to it and thus have decided not to pursue it.

This leaves B2B, my new love. For a Nigerian startup, i think this is where the most viable opportunity is. Why? You need revenue as soon as possible, a business will give you loads of cash in an instant if you can find and solve a key problem that makes money for them. All you need to do is find that problem, build a simple but reliable solution, find and trial it with your customers, prove it makes money for them, ask them for a cut of the extra money you made for them. It's just that simple! (on paper). No need for a big advertising budget, all you must invest in is great branding, a great website and well honed value propositions.

For B2B, the key is to go to where your customers are, whether in conferences or trade shows. Also try 'linked in' which gives great tools to find and advertise to your ideal customers. I would know, 10 USD just gave me a customer with chains of business locations. We are now fine tuning our marketing for solely B2B. The beauty here is you can ask them for even a million naira and they will pay if your solution gives them more than what you're asking them to pay.

So in summary (in my experience) selling to businesses is better than consumers and governments in Nigeria as businesses will get you to really good revenue in less time and money compared to the former 2 options. Other opinions welcome.

2 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nmeri17: 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
1k001:

Key learning

- Focus on 1 key problem
- Relate it to revenue

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by BetaQuick: 2:38am On Sep 27, 2015
1k001:

Ideas are everywhere so not scared of it being stolen. Like you said, i've pitched in different forums, exhibited and been on TV and Radio so not an issue. Here though I like the fact that i can express general thoughts without fielding specific questions on my own particular start-up. Also like being able to say things openly without prejudice to my startup's interests.

On the customer part, my ideal customers are most unlikely to be reading this thread or even be on Nairaland at all. I'm seeking for reliable and scalable ways to find them. So this forum or even media mentions aren't a customer acquisition focus for me.

You arent making much sense here sir. The title of your post is "My Tech Startup Journey". You talk about your experience and yet you do not want to share you idea. I'm sorry but this does not make sense.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 11:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
BetaQuick:

You arent making much sense here sir. The title of your post is "My Tech Startup Journey". You talk about your experience and yet you do not want to share you idea. I'm sorry but this does not make sense.

Thanks for your opinion, my position however does make sense to me. Perhaps i haven't done a good job in articulating it well. My idea is actually immaterial in the journey because as a matter of fact, it has evolved so much that it now bears virtually no resemblance to the initial thought. Execution is what the journey is really about not the idea that continues to change.

2 Likes

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 29, 2015
hey bro!,I have been following your thread since inception do you have some time to talk?
1k001:

Thanks for your opinion, my position however does make sense to me. Perhaps i haven't done a good job in articulating it well. My idea is actually immaterial in the journey because as a matter of fact, it has evolved so much that it now bears virtually no resemblance to the initial thought. Execution is what the journey is really about not the idea that continues to change.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 29, 2015
Dude you are getting this all wrong. A Web based business should focus on Awareness. Traffic. Conversion. Metrics. Revenue. Rinse and Repeat. There is so much more to that simple funnel i just outlined.

The first place you are getting (or got) it wrong was discarding the power of getting consumers from nairaland here. I mean your topic hit FP but you didn't take advantage of it. Do you know how many CEOs and Investors go through nairaland? You might even easily have got an investor online. I don't want to believe you are ashamed of the criticisms you'd get if you told nairalanders about the name of your start-up. Though tha seems to be the only logical reason playing in my head as to your being coy in coming out open.

The second place you are getting it wrong is "It is a web-based business" It should be treated as one. Focus more on the web aspect first. Don't throw hard earned cash away. Get the customers before thinking of an office space or employees. Test the waters. See the prospects then move physical.

Honestly, I couldn't read through all your posts because i lost interest as i thought you probably focused more on your eing articulate on the thread rather than taking advantages of the opportunities around.

Anyway though. Kudos. At least you have inspired a lot of people to get their own start ups.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 29, 2015
1k001:

Great post @databoy247

I quoted the bit on email marketing as i'm not yet a believer. Many rave about it but in my little experience, the best open rate i've had is only about 6%. Click rates are even worse. Perhaps I've not put in enough effort or time, may come back to it later on when i build a bigger email list.

For you to have doubts about email marketing. You are simply not ready sir.
Re: My Tech Start-up Journey by 1k001(m): 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2015
adrianstylez:

For you to have doubts about email marketing. You are simply not ready sir.

I have doubts about email marketing in Nigeria and that's because we haven't made the move to e-mail as a general means of communication for the majority. I track all my emails (using Sidekick) and campaigns (using mailchimp). Consistently have poor open rates not to mention clickthroughs (Even for current customers). In any case, i'm starting to harvest emails again to restart email marketing so maybe my opinion will change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bill Gates Had An Affair With A Microsoft Staff, Asked 2 Others Out / What Exactly Will Go Wrong If The CBN Floods The Economy With Dollars? / Angry Lady Drives Her Car Into A Bank Hall After Waiting For Hours For Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.