Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

My Phobia Story - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Phobia Story (18303 Views)

What Is Your Greatest Fear(phobia) / Types Of Phobia, Identify Yours(photos) / Types Of Fear(phobia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 7:36am On Mar 06, 2015
[i]This is for those who have phobia problems. This is for those who don't even know they have it. This is for those who are not too lazy to read.

It started when I was in 100level in the university. I was young and inexperienced. I went to church with a friend, it was palm Sunday in the school's catholic church. The church was crowded there was even crowd outside (late comers). My friend and I were with the late comers. With our cross shaped palm leaves in our hands we stood patiently and listened to the priest from a very loud speaker. After the gospel reading, the doors were opened and people started rushing in (you know how students behave). My friend was dragging my left hand, urging me to hurry along with her but I was feeling something. I knew I had felt it once before but not like this. The crowd pushed forward and my friend couldn't hold me anymore. I felt choked up and very dizzy and I was gasping for air with my heart beating very fast. I didn't know what was happening to me. My friend was already inside the church when she realised I wasn't with her so she came outside to look for me. My heart was beating really fast and I was glad to see her. I just told her "Chinel, make we dey go hostel", she asked why, I just dragged her and we went back to the hostel without even blessing our 'palm cross'.
When we got to the hostel, I explained what I felt to my Chinel. I told her I could hear my heartbeat. She just rushed to the cupboard and brought out a sachet of tiny white drugs and gave me one. She said her doctor in Lagos recommended them when she had slight asthma symptoms. I just swallowed it without thinking or asking her any further questions. I wanted the palpitations to stop. After about 10minutes, I slept off. I woke up about an hour later, thanked Chinel and went upstairs to my room. But I just couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong with me.
I have an elder brother who lived and worked in the same city where I schooled. I called him around 4pm and told him I was sick. He didn't even wait for me to finish, he just said "ok start to come my house now now". I packed somethings and left for his place. His kids were happy to see me but something was troubling my mind so I couldn't play with them. The next morning, he took me to the Federal medical centre. We had a Doctor cousin there so it was easy for me to see him. After telling him what happened to me the previous day, he just said "you are Agoraphobic. Stay away from crowded places and lecture halls". He then prescribed a drug to control the palpitation. I was happy to have identified my problem. I did as he said, I stayed away from crowded places and halls and even market. I didn't notice when it stopped. I quit the drug and started living my normal life.
My second panic attack came when I was in 300level. I went to my sister's house in another state during one ASSU strike. We went to church one Sunday. The pastor making alter call for people with one sickness or the other. He even mentioned palpitation but I didn't want to face a crowd and experience another panic so I kept to myself. Then he told a short story of how he and his friend went to church and a pastor called out people like this. His friend who was asthmatic refused to come out so he died the next day bla bla bla. I still didn't go.
That night at home, I couldn't shake off the pastor's short story off my head. I wondered if something would go wrong. I went to bed at about 10pm but I couldn't sleep. I was thinking and I was scared. Some minutes to 12, something in my head started saying "so you refused to go out for prayers, you will die by sharp 12". The familiar wave of panic crept in. I jumped out of my bed with my heart beating very fast and loud. I knocked on my sister's room door. She came out with her husband. When she saw the horrible look on my face, she got scared and started crying and praying at the same time. I felt shortness of breath, my palms were sweaty, then the palpitation. I was having a panic attack. Why did I go to church that day? I thought. I hated the pastor for his short story. After some seconds I felt better. We all went back to bed. I slept well till morning. I felt good when I woke up, I didn't die!
When I was ready to go back to school, my sister's husband gave me a 'Rhapsody of realities' bible which contained nice and inspirational articles written by pastor Chris and his wife. These articles where inserted in between bible chapters. My sister's husband also gave me some verses to read when ever I felt sick.
My third panic attack came when I was still in 300level. We had workshop practice that Thursday afternoon by 1pm. I was already at the school gate by 12:30pm. I walking down to where we were to have the practical when I suddenly felt dizzy. I couldn't go further. I felt like if I did, I would faint. My heart started beating fast again and I felt shortness of breath but nobody noticed so I just turned and went back to the hostel. When I got my room I just cried and thought to myself "abi people for my village no want make I finish school?". Then I rebuked the thought and called my mum.
She was sick at that time and was admitted in another state about 2hours' bus ride. She told me to come over. I just packed somethings, not forgetting my bible, and left for the park. When I got to the hospital, they ran a test or two and said I had malaria. I didn't even bother to tell the doctor anything because I felt she might think I was crazy. I just let the treat malaria. They wanted to finish me with injections.
On my bed that night, I went through my Rhapsody bible and discovered an article by pastor Chris (page 654) "A very present help". It was just talking about fears, I was so happy to have seen it. I started reading psalm 91 everyday! I stayed in the hospital for 5days. I missed practical, tests and assignments. It was really bad because it affected my grade.
My brother came to take my mum and I home. I felt very dizzy, aftermath of plenty injections. I said to myself "I don't just any doctor, I need a shrink". I started browsing about phobias. I studied phobias more than my physics books. I wanted to know everything about them. We had free WIFI as at that time in my school so I always went to school with my ipod touch to browse and read about phobias. I started noticing that I didn't like being locked up in a room or being in closed spaces. I hated going to the bank because of the security door. I would say to my friends "if this door wastes one more second I might pass out". I just avoided tight and closed places, then I realised it was actually claustrophobia and not agoraphobia! Thanks to my browsing. I am sure 'Google' got tired of my search that period. Through my research, I got to know that millions of people have the same problems home and abroad. That was how I was able to conquer my fear. I haven't had a panic attack since I identified my problem and started avoiding what will trigger it. I even thought I would have a panic attack in NYSC camp because it felt like prison. Lol. But it didn't happen.

There are so many people who go through panic attack due to phobias but they don't even know it. You are half cured when you identify your problem and know that you are not the only one who has it. I remember the immigration recruitment test last year and I shiver with the knowledge that so many of them would have been claustrophobic or agoraphobic but didn't know it!
Holly wood actress, Whoopy Goldberg doesn't like being on a plane because she is aviophobic. Pete Edochie of Nollywood hates to fly because he's claustrophobic and can't be in an enclosed place. As for me, i'm still wondering if i'll be able to fly someday. I don't use elevators. I stay out of trouble because I don't want to ever be in a cell or worse still, a Nigerian prison. It has really affected me because I prefer to take long bus rides instead of flights.
There are worse phobias. I have read about Tokophobia which is the fear of pregnancy! The thought of a child growing in them makes them panic. There is also Xenophobia which is the fear of strangers or foreigners! They just hate meeting new people. I opened this thread to create little awareness of these problems.

My name is Flora. I'm a physicist and i'm Claustrophobic. Thanks for reading.

135 Likes 21 Shares

Re: My Phobia Story by asadike(f): 9:00am On Mar 06, 2015
So touching my dear

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 06, 2015
floragregs:
[i] I haven't had a panic attack since I identified my problem and started avoiding what will trigger it. I even thought I would have a panic attack in NYSC camp because it felt like prison. Lol. But it didn't happen.

There are so many people who go through panic attack due to phobias but they don't even know it. You are half cured when you identify your problem and know that you are not the only one who has it. I remember the immigration recruitment test last year and I shiver with the knowledge that so many of them would have been claustrophobic or agoraphobic but didn't know it!
Holly wood actress, Whoopy Goldberg doesn't like being on a plane because she is aviophobic. Pete Edochie of Nollywood hates to fly because he's claustrophobic and can't be in an enclosed place. As for me, i'm still wondering if i'll be able to fly someday. I don't use elevators. I stay out of trouble because I don't want to ever be in a cell or worse still, a Nigerian prison. It has really affected me because I prefer to take long bus rides instead of flights.
There are worse phobias. I have read about Tokophobia which is the fear of pregnancy! The thought of a child growing in them makes them panic. There is also Xenophobia which is the fear of strangers or foreigners! They just hate meeting new people. I opened this thread to create little awareness of these problems.

I can relate..you will never catch me in a crowded football viewing center either dead or alive..grin

5 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 11:02am On Mar 06, 2015
Yea @asadike, @brandnew2 you had to quote the whole thing eh? Lol. Oya tell us ur xperience if any. Don't just read and leave. If u have an experience wth phobias Plz share. Moderators @dominique, sissy3 Plz let's get this to front page for people to be aware! Tnx

2 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
This is front page worthy but OP you are yet to explain other kinds of phobia that is common place..

I know lots of people have phobia for driving, water/big oceans/ ,love/romance, heights, injections, darkness e.t.c

I suffer a few but wouldn't like to share my personal story now..

Will edit the long quote. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 5:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
Brandnew2:

I can relate..you will never catch me in a crowded football viewing center either dead or alive..grin
lol. Make u no go fall ur hand abi? I know that feeling jare

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2015
Brandnew2:
This is front page worthy but OP you are yet to explain other kinds of phobia that is common place..

I know lots of people have phobia for driving, water/big oceans/ ,love/romance, heights, injections, darkness e.t.c

I suffer a few but wouldn't like to share my personal story now..

Will edit the long quote. cheesy
as the title implies, it's a personal story about my own phobia. I can't talk about others because I want pple who have them to tell their own story!

4 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 06, 2015
floragregs:
lol. Make u no go fall ur hand abi? I know that feeling jare
Ah swear, if the football match is not in my living room, then I'll wait for the scores.

I've actually never had a panic attack before.

My worst phobia is actually darkness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
Brandnew2:

Ah swear, if the football match is not in my living room, then I'll wait for the scores.

I've actually never had a panic attack before.

My worst phobia is actually darkness.
darkness? Hahahah. Abeg leave that phobia for kids jor. Always have a torchlight with u. U knw Nepa na

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
floragregs:
darkness? Hahahah. Abeg leave that phobia for kids jor. Always have a torchlight with u. U knw Nepa na

The one I suffered as a child wasn't a small one oh!!!

Too embarrassing to talk about here, apparently, it's stuck with until now...

My sister, sometimes the lamp or torch light is not at arms reach, you may even have misplaced it... Come and see panic. grin

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 6:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
Brandnew2:

The one I suffered as a child wasn't a small one oh!!!

Too embarrassing to talk about here, apparently, it's stuck with until now...

My sister, sometimes the lamp or torch light is not at arms reach, you may even have misplaced it... Come and see panic. grin
very funny ooo. Wait o, are we the only people with phobias? Nobody else wants to share
Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2015
floragregs:
very funny ooo. Wait o, are we the only people with phobias? Nobody else wants to share
Abi o! All they know how to do is flirt, crush on and pick fights.
That, to me can be very boring undecided
Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 6:58pm On Mar 06, 2015
Brandnew2:

Abi o! All they know how to do is flirt, crush on and pick fight.
That, to me can be very boring undecided
exactly

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by Olufemiolaolu(m): 12:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
floragregs:
[i]This is for those who have phobia problems. This is for those who don't even know they have it. This is for those who are not too lazy to read.

It started when I was in 100level in the university. I was young and inexperienced. I went to church with a friend, it was palm Sunday in the school's catholic church. The church was crowded there was even crowd outside (late comers). My friend and I were with the late comers. With our cross shaped palm leaves in our hands we stood patiently and listened to the priest from a very loud speaker. After the gospel reading, the doors were opened and people started rushing in (you know how students behave). My friend was dragging my left hand, urging me to hurry along with her but I was feeling something. I knew I had felt it once before but not like this. The crowd pushed forward and my friend couldn't hold me anymore. I felt choked up and very dizzy and I was gasping for air with my heart beating very fast. I didn't know what was happening to me. My friend was already inside the church when she realised I wasn't with her so she came outside to look for me. My heart was beating really fast and I was glad to see her. I just told her "Chinel, make we dey go hostel", she asked why, I just dragged her and we went back to the hostel without even blessing our 'palm cross'.
When we got to the hostel, I explained what I felt to my Chinel. I told her I could hear my heartbeat. She just rushed to the cupboard and brought out a sachet of tiny white drugs and gave me one. She said her doctor in Lagos recommended them when she had slight asthma symptoms. I just swallowed it without thinking or asking her any further questions. I wanted the palpitations to stop. After about 10minutes, I slept off. I woke up about an hour later, thanked Chinel and went upstairs to my room. But I just couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong with me.
I have an elder brother who lived and worked in the same city where I schooled. I called him around 4pm and told him I was sick. He didn't even wait for me to finish, he just said "ok start to come my house now now". I packed somethings and left for his place. His kids were happy to see me but something was troubling my mind so I couldn't play with them. The next morning, he took me to the Federal medical centre. We had a Doctor cousin there so it was easy for me to see him. After telling him what happened to me the previous day, he just said "you are Agoraphobic. Stay away from crowded places and lecture halls". He then prescribed a drug to control the palpitation. I was happy to have identified my problem. I did as he said, I stayed away from crowded places and halls and even market. I didn't notice when it stopped. I quit the drug and started living my normal life.
My second panic attack came when I was in 300level. I went to my sister's house in another state during one ASSU strike. We went to church one Sunday. The pastor making alter call for people with one sickness or the other. He even mentioned palpitation but I didn't want to face a crowd and experience another panic so I kept to myself. Then he told a short story of how he and his friend went to church and a pastor called out people like this. His friend who was asthmatic refused to come out so he died the next day bla bla bla. I still didn't go.
That night at home, I couldn't shake off the pastor's short story off my head. I wondered if something would go wrong. I went to bed at about 10pm but I couldn't sleep. I was thinking and I was scared. Some minutes to 12, something in my head started saying "so you refused to go out for prayers, you will die by sharp 12". The familiar wave of panic crept in. I jumped out of my bed with my heart beating very fast and loud. I knocked on my sister's room door. She came out with her husband. When she saw the horrible look on my face, she got scared and started crying and praying at the same time. I felt shortness of breath, my palms were sweaty, then the palpitation. I was having a panic attack. Why did I go to church that day? I thought. I hated the pastor for his short story. After some seconds I felt better. We all went back to bed. I slept well till morning. I felt good when I woke up, I didn't die!
When I was ready to go back to school, my sister's husband gave me a 'Rhapsody of realities' bible which contained nice and inspirational articles written by pastor Chris and his wife. These articles where inserted in between bible chapters. My sister's husband also gave me some verses to read when ever I felt sick.
My third panic attack came when I was still in 300level. We had workshop practice that Thursday afternoon by 1pm. I was already at the school gate by 12:30pm. I walking down to where we were to have the practical when I suddenly felt dizzy. I couldn't go further. I felt like if I did, I would faint. My heart started beating fast again and I felt shortness of breath but nobody noticed so I just turned and went back to the hostel. When I got my room I just cried and thought to myself "abi people for my village no want make I finish school?". Then I rebuked the thought and called my mum.
She was sick at that time and was admitted in another state about 2hours' bus ride. She told me to come over. I just packed somethings, not forgetting my bible, and left for the park. When I got to the hospital, they ran a test or two and said I had malaria. I didn't even bother to tell the doctor anything because I felt she might think I was crazy. I just let the treat malaria. They wanted to finish me with injections.
On my bed that night, I went through my Rhapsody bible and discovered an article by pastor Chris (page 654) "A very present help". It was just talking about fears, I was so happy to have seen it. I started reading psalm 91 everyday! I stayed in the hospital for 5days. I missed practical, tests and assignments. It was really bad because it affected my grade.
My brother came to take my mum and I home. I felt very dizzy, aftermath of plenty injections. I said to myself "I don't just any doctor, I need a shrink". I started browsing about phobias. I studied phobias more than my physics books. I wanted to know everything about them. We had free WIFI as at that time in my school so I always went to school with my ipod touch to browse and read about phobias. I started noticing that I didn't like being locked up in a room or being in closed spaces. I hated going to the bank because of the security door. I would say to my friends "if this door wastes one more second I might pass out". I just avoided tight and closed places, then I realised it was actually claustrophobia and not agoraphobia! Thanks to my browsing. I am sure 'Google' got tired of my search that period. Through my research, I got to know that millions of people have the same problems home and abroad. That was how I was able to conquer my fear. I haven't had a panic attack since I identified my problem and started avoiding what will trigger it. I even thought I would have a panic attack in NYSC camp because it felt like prison. Lol. But it didn't happen.

fear only put a limitation on one's life. If u dont deal with ur fear of flying it cud hinder d plan & purpose of God 4 ur life. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
fear only put a limitation on one's life. If u dont deal with ur fear of flying it cud hinder d plan & purpose of God 4 ur life. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
how exactly can I 'deal' with it? Plz help me out here. Tnx
Re: My Phobia Story by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:37am On Jul 12, 2015
floragregs:
how exactly can I 'deal' with it? Plz help me out here. Tnx
Quote this verse & believe it with all ur heart, then ask God 2 help u over it. Its not of God ok

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by EbonyQueen001(f): 10:45pm On Aug 01, 2015
I understand the feeling, cos i've been there. I mean different type of phobia rolled into one person at once. Still working on my fears though. Will be back to add a lil more.

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by alexov(m): 8:13pm On Sep 01, 2015
OP, did u attend FUTO?
Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 01, 2015
Too long but sha mine's acrophobia. Fear of heights. And what's d name for fear of chickens and most especially I can't stand an animal being slaughtered in my front. I'd almost die.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 3:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
floragregs:

Hi you sound very intelligent,how about getting to know you?
Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 3:40pm On Apr 15, 2016
henryhemon:

Hi you sound very intelligent,how about getting to know you?
that's if u don't mind that i'm maawid grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 8:33pm On Apr 15, 2016
floragregs:

Are you?

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2016
henryhemon:

Are you?
very
Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 8:53am On Apr 16, 2016
floragregs:

I could learn one or two things from you.
Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 11:31am On Apr 16, 2016
henryhemon:

I could learn one or two things from you.
ok then smiley

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 11:34am On Apr 16, 2016
floragregs:
ok then smiley

dhenrys45@gmail.com
Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 5:18pm On Apr 16, 2016
henryhemon:

dhenrys45@gmail.com
I should mail u? Lol. And tell u what na
Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 5:45pm On Apr 16, 2016
floragregs:
I should mail u? Lol. And tell u what na

Just to get your contact

I know you wouldn't release yours here
Re: My Phobia Story by floragregs(f): 7:21pm On Apr 16, 2016
henryhemon:

Just to get your contact

I know you wouldn't release yours here
send PM na
Re: My Phobia Story by henryhemon(m): 11:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
floragregs:
send PM na

I can't read mine,have forgotten the mail I used back then.
Re: My Phobia Story by veekid(m): 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2016
Following
Re: My Phobia Story by timilehing(m): 2:38pm On Jun 30, 2016
C

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids / Nafdac Arrest Man With Fake Drugs Worth N40million In Asaba / How Can I Cure Clipper Bumps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.