Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone (14637 Views)

Apple Unveils Iphone 7 (Features in PICTURES) / V10: LG Launches A Smartphone With Two Screens And Two Selfie Cameras / 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone (A Must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 07, 2015
Will it consume data?
Easy blogging?
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by jrondit(m): 3:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
I agree wit u.U hav spoken my mind....#March4Buhari
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Sheggy13(m): 3:36pm On Mar 07, 2015
onyedikachukwue:

‪#‎BabaWhileYouWereGone‬

We have known that Tinubu's mouth stinks!

We known that Lai Muhammed is a Diaper wearing Grand Pa! And that his mouth stinks like gutter!

We known that Amaechi used to wear a tee shirt for 3 days!

We known that Tinubu is the single largest landlord in Africavia his corruption!

Documentaries were released on You and Tinubu,and people have seen more about your Draconian past and more about the corruption and stealing abilities of Tinubu!

Jonathan met with Youths in Lagos and guess what? He had a very beautiful welcome and I was there present!

Peter Ayo Fayose was visiting contract sites and in the process, he was hungry!, guess what? He ate at Iya Karimu's cantten!

APC has been silent,as FFK has been hitting them hard!!!

What else do you want me to tell you while you were gone?
Why are you spamming every thread with this your infantile post. Please grow up or better still, get a day job.
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 07, 2015
grin

Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by momentum85(m): 3:44pm On Mar 07, 2015
Timohunk:
Are u guys talking about android phones that suck away data and airtime like a d*ck

Blackberry or nothing dear!
. Ur head dey there.
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by nelson212(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2015
Pls I need a techno n9 ipad battery. Pls call me 08032735686 if u have it thanks. I live in ph.
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by sluvy4tune(m): 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2015
With camera 360 installed that's more than enough for an average Naija Babe
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Gboskee(m): 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2015
Cutesexy1:
Noted
angry
Cutesexy1:
Noted
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Edigrows: 5:00pm On Mar 07, 2015
I enjoyed that Post my boss wrote on his Blog, am more happier someone picked it and put it here on NL, then am Happiest, IT MADE FRONTPAGE grin grin grin
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 07, 2015
momentum85:
. Ur head dey there.
lolz
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
johnshagb:
A few years after Chinese OEMs started focusing on the Nigerian smartphone market–ending the Blackberry era and ushering in the Android revolution–things have really changed and Nigeria can now boast to be the largest mobile market in Africa. Just after Tecno Mobile revolutionized its business and ventured into the smartphone market, Android OS smartphones became accessible to a lot of average Nigerians at a time when Blackberry’s market share was at its peak.

Fast forward to the present, the competition is getting even more tight with Infinix, Innjoo, Oppsson, Wiko and other companies trying to win the heart of Nigerians. New smartphones ranging from low-end devices to high-end gadgets are released into the market every now and then.

But the question is this: Do these companies really know what Nigerians want?

Judging with the new devices in the market now, it is obvious that some know exactly what Nigerians want and fashion their products based on these basic needs. An average Nigerian don’t really know what NFC does and don’t really care if a smartphone has it. Even people using smartphones with NFC enabled hardly use it.

We take a look at the 7 basic features an average Nigerian cares for in a smartphone.

1. Battery

In a country with a world record epileptic power supply, any smartphone with an efficient and strong battery that can last the whole day is automatically a winner. This is so crucial that most people would never go for a device with a weak battery even if all the features in the world are packed into it with a very cheap price.

Nobody likes running out of battery when power supply isn’t even guaranteed. It’s either the battery is strong, or the phone comes with a power bank.

2. Camera

I’ve come to realize that an average Nigerian wants to hear stuffs like 13Mp, 16MP… it seems those huge numbers are magical. Whether the camera has a Carl Zeiss lens isn’t important, and I’m not sure an average Nigerian knows what Optical Image Stabilization means.

As long as the resolution sounds pretty huge and the produced image is clear and sharp, the smartphone is likely to sell.

3. Durability

The truth is that nobody wants to buy a smartphone that won’t withstand abuse. People want phones that can be dropped mistakenly and still work.

4. Speed & Performance

At this point, a phone that isn’t fast enough isn’t for an average person. Almost everyone uses Facebook, WhatsApp an BBM all at once. A smartphone should be able to run these basic apps simultaneously and conveniently whether or not its a quad-core processor phone or it’s got 2GB RAM.

Device speed and performance is a very important factor.

5. Internal Storage or Free SD Card

People want enough space on their device, a large internal storage means a lot. And again, if a device comes with a free 16GB SD card or more, it’s can be a selling point. No one wants to run out of space. HD movies alone eat a lot of space not to mention “heavy” Android games.

A limited storage that’s not expandable isn’t for Nigerians, trust me.

6. Screen Size

A device with a 3.5″ screen? Nah… it’s probably the kind of phone you would buy for a kid.

7. Price

Nigeria may now be the largest economy in Africa but the truth remains that it’s still a growing economy. The price placed on a device will play major role in determining how many units will be sold.

The lower, the better.

Geeks and people who understand the technology behind these gadgets actually do want more but they are not the majority. Will a time come when the majority would prefer a Snapdragon processor to a MediaTek processor? I mean a time when people will realize that a huge resolution doesn’t really mean great pictures? That remains to be seen.

http://geek.ng/2015/03/7-features-an-average-nigerian-looks-out-for-in-a-smartphone.html

GPU also
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by johnshagb(m): 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2015
Edigrows:
I enjoyed that Post my boss wrote on his Blog, am more happier someone picked it and put it here on NL, then am Happiest, IT MADE FRONTPAGE grin grin grin

He's an amazing guy. Been following him since the days of capriofiles. He's indeed a boss
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by chemmerfrank(m): 6:39pm On Mar 07, 2015
Nawa ohh... What do japaneese look out for? You just said all what every normal person in the world would look out for
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by echelons(m): 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2015
That's why I will always be happy with my S4.
Nothing beats quality for me. Gonna use my S4 till S8 comes grin
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 07, 2015
And whether it's shinko or not
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by dammybas(m): 9:36pm On Mar 07, 2015
The problem is the average Nigerian hardly cares for what's in the phone. Since every Android phone "seem to have the same software capabilities". The average Nigerian cares about:

1. Battery
2. Camera MP
3. Price

This is were most of these Chinese OEMs have been getting us. Most people don't know that a "2000mAh" battery may just be a rebased figure. Also, high Mega Pixel doesn't mean better selfies. Ever wondered why a 5mp on an Xperia is powerful than a 13mp Tecno? Lastly, the price, everybody wants something affordable so these OEMs provide us with poor quality items at ridiculously cheap prices grin. If not for the newer chinese OEMs, all Tecno has been giving us was same software and capabilities with different screen sizes.

Unfortunately, Samsung,Sony,HTC e.t.c have not been helping out either. They have refused to consider the African Market when making devices and even in the pricing. This is why these chinese OEMs enjoy much patronage in this part of the world. Even Chinese OEMs get level, Tecno,infinix are nothing in the Global market compared to Xiaomi, Micromax, Gionee etc.

Btw, i currently use the Infinix Hot
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Gboskee(m): 10:40am On Mar 12, 2015
Cutesexy1:
Noted
Cutesexy1:
Noted
Re: 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone by Emeka71(m): 11:14am On Mar 12, 2015
olassy239:
infinix hot has it all.to the snapdragon camera and 2500mah battery live 1 GB ram.16 GB inner memory expandable to 32 gb 480 to 820 screen size and also @ a cheaper rate of 15k,am convince DAT infinix hot is d best phone an average Nigerian will really wanna opt for
What is special about infinix hot?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Etisalat 3g Network Hsupa? / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS / FG Extends NIN-SIM Verification Deadline Till March 31, 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.