Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit (25538 Views)

These 2 Nigerian Pastors Don’t Have The Holy Spirit In Them / The Holy Spirit Is Evil Spirit: Bible Evidence / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by iloriolushola(m): 4:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
10 Mistakes People Make with the Holy Spirit (plus 1 bonus):

1. Think He is a ghost like the King James Version of the
Bible translates it (no, the Holy “Ghost” doesn’t frighten or spook people who are still alive nor walk the halls at night
noisily clanging chains and shrieking at the top of his lungs, neither does He haunt houses and scare young children).

2. Don’t realize that He is a part of a Triune Godhead / Trinity
with coequal status with the other Two, Father and Son (three Persons in one God). ( Genesis 1:26a ; 2 Corinthians 3:17 )

3. Are ignorant of the fact that He (the Holy Spirit) is a
Person and not an impersonal “force” like in the movie, Star
Wars (the Holy Spirit isn’t flesh and blood, of course, but has
a personality ~ Jesus uses 7 personal pronouns in John 16:13
alone, the New American Standard translation, to refer to the
Holy Spirit and His personal characteristics).

4. Forget that the Holy Spirit is the one and only source of
power for the Church to reach lost souls (human ingenuity or
charisma accomplishes nothing). ( Acts 1:8 ; 2:1-4 , 14, 41;
Zechariah 4:6 )

5. Order Him around when He is supposed to be the One
ordering their lives.

6. Overlook that it is the Holy Spirit that causes a person to
be freed from their sins / born again. ( John 3:6 , 20:22 ; Titus
3:5 ; 1 Corinthians 12:3b ; Acts 2:38 )

7. Forget that it was by the Holy Spirit that the prophets of
old spoke. ( Acts 1:16 ; 1 Peter 1:10-11 ; 2 Peter 1:20-21 )

8. Forget that it was by the Holy Spirit that the Scripture
came into being (thus, there are no errors in the Bible). ( 2
Peter 1:20-21 )

9. Miss the Holy Spirit’s involvement in the creation of all
things and in the securing of man’s redemption (He played a
part in raising Jesus from the dead). ( Genesis 1:1-2 ; Romans
8:11 )

10. Are resisting the Holy Spirit and in danger of missing
Heaven because of it (repent and ask God for forgiveness).
( Acts 7:51 ; Romans 10:9 ; John 3:16 )

BONUS Equate His workings (in particular, in the distribution
and operation of spiritual gifts in the Church) as confusion. ( 1
Corinthians 12:4-11 ; 14:32-33 )

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by nzeaji(m): 4:16pm On Mar 07, 2015
Good read. Thank you OP. Go bless you richly. smiley smiley

*modified*
Choi. On a lighter note, FTC/front page tins. grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Idrismusty97(m): 4:24pm On Mar 07, 2015
11. Forgetting that It is all in your imagination!

11 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by benosky(m): 10:28pm On Mar 07, 2015
Dat no 5 got me thinking......

13 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by johnw74: 10:49pm On Mar 07, 2015
For those who say the Holy Spirit is not a person:

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Horus(m): 10:50pm On Mar 07, 2015
Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue." They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them and that one may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages). Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by JahzaraAde(f): 11:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
Horus:
Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue." They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them and that one may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages). Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.

YESSSSSSS!!! Someone who understands that the practice of screaming random words whilst having an epileptic-like seizure on the floor is NOT a work of the Spirit. It's heretical to brand such behaviour as a working of the spirit. Tongues refer to actual LANGUAGES, and in Acts 2, it was a means to spread the gospel, and it edified the church too.

Now, I'm not a cessationalist (one who believes the gift of the tongues ceases to exist due to the closing of the canon), however I do believe that this gift is HORRIBLY ABUSED in many modern day churches, especially in and within Pentecostal gatherings.

Pls let us take the workings and authenticity of the Holy Spirit without levity and with the upmost reverence. The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity and so therefore is God.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 08, 2015
Buhari give your life to christ
I pray GMB REPENT SOON

4 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by kevoh(m): 8:25am On Mar 08, 2015
smiley
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by priscaoge(f): 8:25am On Mar 08, 2015
Happy Sunday Brethren wink wink wink

Happy International Women's Day to all the ladies on Nairaland!!!!

Shalom!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 08, 2015
Part Of TRINITY?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by captcochrane(m): 8:29am On Mar 08, 2015
is there a proof "that person" exists
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Rapmoney(m): 8:29am On Mar 08, 2015
Adsguy:
NYC op
At first,I thot u knew the Op from NYSCgrin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Angelou(m): 8:30am On Mar 08, 2015
are you guys trying to say that the holy spirit is equal to god.. SMH even the son can neva be of equal status with "the father"

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by jerflakes(m): 8:31am On Mar 08, 2015
[size=14pt]Na only you know wetin you dey talk.

Go to Ijebu-ode and ask the holy spirits there.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by emmyojo22(m): 8:32am On Mar 08, 2015
Am i on front page? somebody should pls tel me dat i made front page
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by ademega(m): 8:34am On Mar 08, 2015
I have seen people that they always hide under the name of holy spirit to do evil.

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Abotak: 8:34am On Mar 08, 2015
great job OP, meanwhile guys for dis forum no dey go church ni

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by tola9ja: 8:35am On Mar 08, 2015
2 Peter 1:20-21Revised Standard Version (RSV)

20 First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.[a]

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Akalia(m): 8:35am On Mar 08, 2015
Also calling down holy ghost fire to consume enemies is wrong. There is no such thing as a consuming holy ghost fire. The only consumer fire I know of is Jehovah GOD.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by RYANAYO(m): 8:36am On Mar 08, 2015
Hmmm
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by fajesito(m): 8:37am On Mar 08, 2015
The Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity.  He is fully God. He is eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, has a will, and can speak.  He is alive.  He is a person.  He is not particularly visible in the Bible because His ministry is to bear witness of Jesus (John 15:26).

Some cults that claim to be churches (they know themselves) say that the Holy Spirit is nothing more than a force (Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp. 406-407). This is false.  If the Holy Spirit were merely a force, then He could not speak (Acts 13:2); He could not be grieved (Eph. 4:30); and He would not have a will (1 Cor. 12:11).

The truth is that the Holy Spirit is a person the same as the Father and the Son are within the Trinity.
Check out
https://carm.org/holy-spirit for better understanding

7 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by elantraceey(f): 8:38am On Mar 08, 2015
Just awesome

12 Neglecting his function in their life.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Adsguy: 8:38am On Mar 08, 2015
Rapmoney:
At first,I thot u knew the Op from NYSCgrin
lolzzz

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by joseph1832(m): 8:40am On Mar 08, 2015
Your number 3 got my attention. As a practitioner of the Living Force!. grin.
Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by oabel(m): 8:41am On Mar 08, 2015
So thoughtful.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 08, 2015
and forgeting dat he lives in us n dat its our sins that is making us not feeling his presence in our life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Rajjah(f): 8:44am On Mar 08, 2015
3 in 1 God? hmmmmm.m.

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by fzero: 8:44am On Mar 08, 2015
Idrismusty97:
11. Forgetting that It is all in your imagination!
sit down there make pant they wear u. the holy spirit is truly a person.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 08, 2015
No 5 is not entirely true.God tells us to command him in Isaiah 45vs11.but He will only obey our commands after we have obeyed his commands.

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit by fajesito(m): 8:49am On Mar 08, 2015
jerflakes:
[size=14pt]Na only you know wetin you dey talk.

Go to Ijebu-ode and ask the holy spirits there.
[/size]
But you don't know what you are saying because you've not passed any message across.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Should I Leave The Church Because Of Him? Pease I Need Your Advice / Contradicting Prophecies Abound On Anambra Governorship Election Outcome / Mechanic Going To Church With Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.