Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) (4076 Views)

ID Card Importance: My Horrible Experiences / After Reading This, You’ll Never Want To Throw These Silica Gel Away Again! / Importance Of Bank Verification Number.will Bank Really Close Account.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by Mubby4luv(m): 7:42pm On Mar 07, 2015
Uses for Silica Gel Pack
You find those little white packets in all kinds of purchased items these days. They're packets of silica gel used to absorb moisture. Instead of throwing them away, you can reuse the packets in many hobbies and activities. Reusing them can solve storage problems or save time.
Function
Silica gel is really not a gel; it comes in little beads sealed into the packet. Silica gel has the ability to absorb water that causes mold or moisture damage. It can absorb up to 40 percent of its weight. Silica gel is non-toxic and non-flammable. It doesn't create any environmental hazards.

1.Photography

Have any old photographs or papers you want to preserve? Put a silica gel pack in a Ziploc bag or air-tight box and add your old photos to store them indefinitely. You can even put in keepsakes, such as your wedding favors or collectibles including baseball cards.

2.To save your cell phone from water damage

This one's an old favorite. If your phone becomes the unfortunate victim of a spill or swim, you can still rescue it—you just need to act fast. Remove the battery and any memory cards from the phone, then toss it in a bowl filled with silica gel packets (dry rice will work, too, in a pinch). Leave it there at least overnight before powering it on again.

3.Gardening

If you save your own seeds for planting next year, storing them so they don't mold is important. Add a silica gel packet to your container, making sure it's airtight. Store the different seeds in small envelopes and then put them all in an airtight container together with the silica gel packet. You only need one per shoe box-sized container.

4. Keeping of Important documents.

Whether you have important documents (birth certificates, social security cards, etc.) stored in files in a desk, cabinet, box, or envelopes, you can add a few packets of silica gel to keep them protected.

5.In The Home

i.. Silica gel will keep silver from tarnishing, so add a packet to a jewelry box or cupboard where you store silver dishes and platters.
ii.. Do you store leather shoes or boots for the summer? Put them in airtight bags/boxes with one or two silica gel packets to ensure they don't mold And smell. This is particularly helpful in Southern climates, where the long, humid summers can affect closets that don't have air conditioning vents inside. The same works for linen closets. Because silica gel is odorless, you can add something for a nice smell like lavender.

6.Create a dry travel bag

This one's for the road warriors. Toss a few packets of silica into a Ziplock bag to make an instant travel gadget bag, with enough water-fighting ability to withstand accidental luggage spills.

7. Extend the life of razor blades

"It is understood that oxidation on razor blades causes premature dulling. So if you want a long lasting use of your razor blades, preserve with a pack of Silicate Tell.

EVERYONE CAN ADD HIS/HERS

Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
This is quite a helpful thread..should have been moved to front page a long time ago.
Cc; lalasticlala
Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by david5565: 7:32am On Jun 15, 2018
Hi, where can I get 50kg bags of silica gel?

2 Likes

Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by Peterolums(m): 10:03am On Mar 11, 2019
Hi. David. Have u been able to find the silica gel
Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by henribj(m): 6:57am On Sep 08, 2019
Peterolums:

Hi, where you able to get silica gels?
Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by henribj(m): 6:57am On Sep 08, 2019
david5565:
Hi, where can I get 50kg bags of silica gel?

Hi, were you able to get the gels?
Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by Toosure70: 6:41am On May 27, 2021
Peterolums:
I have
Re: Economic Importance Of Silica Gel (pictures) by JimiCoker2: 9:27pm On Aug 13, 2021
I need 50kg of silica gel.
Please where can I get it in bulk in Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

nil / Nigerian Creates Home Made Washing Machine(video) / Breaking News From Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.