Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,803 members, 7,806,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel (33107 Views)

33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Africa Magic To Launch Igbo Channel / Top 15 Sexiest Female Nigerian Television Personalities (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 09, 2015
chisco82:

Take it easy o, ejighi kwanum ihe a mara gi ebe a.
There are words you need to swallow and move on with better things you have.

haha.
Nna dalu...ana m ekele ghi.
Iwe ewekwala ghi, inugho?

Emechie la m onu lipsrsealed

Kachifoo wink

2 Likes

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Nobody: 11:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
customized13:
Eh, which kind busy body be this?

You want us to join you in this national disgrace you call station?
grin grin rotfl
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by docsholz(m): 12:44am On Mar 10, 2015
I don't understand the last time I checked DSTV is south African and not owned by Yoruba or Hausa people, or is there something I'm missing?
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by bigfrancis21: 3:15am On Mar 10, 2015
Shubbylee:

Why do u Igbo brothers keep giving urselves awards? LOL!! Igbos are the Pioneers of Nollywood? Igbos have the highest number of Dstv subscribers? Haba!! where did u get all this info from? pls don't overate urselves, let pple praise u b4 u praise urselves Mehn!!

I don't really know abt the Hausa movies but how can u say d highest paid actors in Yoruba movies earn 30k....come on Mehn!! I've done waka pass b4 and I was paid 7k for saying 2sentences!! Stop all these spurious untrue things u're saying oh! Some igbos even commend Yollywood for better organisation than the Mainstream Nollywood!!

The Best NOLLYWOOD movies right now are mostly being produced and directed by NON igbos, e.g October 1st by Kunle Afolayan, 30days in Atlanta by AY d comedian, that Lancelot Imaseun movie and Make a move starring Ivie Okujaye!! so the argument that igbos are not making films in Igbo language because they're running NOLLYWOOD is NULL AND VOID!!

What is known as 'Nollywood' today is the English speaking sector of the Nigerian movie industry, which was formerly Igbo speaking until the late 90s when the switch to English was made after the Igbo-kanguage movie 'Living in Bondage' went popular over Nigeria and increased the popularity of Igbo-English speaking movies. That is the face of Nigeria's movie industry, not Kannywood, or Yorubawood that is seen outside Nigeria. The switch to English language and the aggressive marketing nature of the Alaba-Aba Igbo business men is the main factor responsible for Nollywoods success today. It was in the 1990s that the Yoruba-speaking sector was merged with the already-booming English language sector to form 'Nollywood'. Recent Nollywood hits such as Ay Makun, Kunle Afolanyan etc are only banking on the popularity of Nollywood created and brought to what it is today by Igbo business men in Alaba, Onitsha and Aba. The English-speaking sector which is dominated by bilingual Igbo-English speaking actors, still has huge remains of its Igbo background as seen in the culture, traditional settings and words used in the movies. Nollywood fans all over Nigeria and beyond are familiar with common Nollywood words such as 'Igwe', 'nna anyi, 'Biko', etc. The fact that many Yorubas on this forum deride the English sector and the Igbo actors in it for speaking English and not Igbo (not promoting their language) shows that they know that the English-speaking sector of Nollywood is Igbo-owned and dominated.

Nollywood is divided into 2 factions - Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) which is Igbo-owned and responsible for the English-language movies and ATNP which oversees the Yoruba-speaking sector.

This is what New York times had to say about Nollywood: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/magazine/nollywood-movies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1

They recognize the effort and hardwork the Igbo people put into making Nollywood what it is today. Left to Yorubawood only, the sector would have still remained largely unknown in Nigeria and irrelevant beyond the South West. Nollywood is famous today and the efforts and hardwork the Igbo put into its success are being downplayed. Had Kenneth Nnabue (an Igbo) not taken the step further to produce 'Living in Bondage' in video cassettes, largely unknown to the Yoruba movie industry at that time, Nollywood would not have been where it is today. Yorubas would have still been acting theatre plays and dramas that marked their movie industry before the 90s.

Truth be told, the Igbo got into the movie industry scene much later (in the 80s. 1967 - 1970 they were fighting the civil war. 1970 - 1980 marked the recovery years) but their success and boom since then has known no bounds. Over a short space of 30 years, they turned an obscure movie industry to the number 2 largest movie industry in the entire world by sheer hardwork, dedication, and perseverance. When the Igbos begin to act more and more Igbo language movies, while still running and maintaining the world's second-largest movie industry in the world (the English-speaking sector), then would they have achieved two mighty feats by killing two birds with one stone. Believe you me, with the creativity and talent of the Igbo, Igbo language movies will perform just as great as their English-speaking cousins. However, it is still the same talented English-speaking actors acting in Igbo language, a language they speak off-camera. The same way Flavour N'abania rose from obscurity to be one of Nigeria's leading musicians by singing and performing purely in Igbo language and his song 'Nwa Baby Nye m ife gi (Ashawo Rmx)' being Nigeria's most popular song beyond Nigeria, known and played all over Africa and the Caribbean. From South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, to Belize, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Haiti, US/UK, etc. his song is played in clubs, birthday parties, on radio stations in those countries. My haitian co-worker at work today even knows the song and has the video on her phone. On youtube, his video has over 15 million views. No contemporary Nigerian musician has had his song remixed severally by other Nations. His song has been remixed by Ghana and Ethiopia. Davido, Wizkid, Olamide, 9ce, Ice Prince etc. don't even come close to the legacy and success of Flavour outside Nigeria. Keri Hilson mentioned that Flavour's Ashawo song is her favourite Nigerian song. P-Square, another Igbo duo, dominates the Nigerian music scene today. Don Jazzy is in fact the boss of the music industry. Ever since Dbanj fell out of favour with him, he has fast down-spiralled and no one has known or heard of him since then. Phyno is fast uprising. Both music and movie industries, the Igbo dominate in them. Don't get too excited and pee in your trousers when some Igbo musicians add Yoruba words to their song - it is only to get you to buy their songs, make them richer and rise to the top in the music inustry. Not forgetting their roots, these same musicians turn around and sing several songs in Igbo.

If you think Nollywood isn't Igbo dominated or aggressively marketed forward by the Igbo (Alaba/Onitsha/Aba Igbo cartel), let both sectors split and go separate ways: let the Igbos continue their trade which they've successfully mastered and invested in since the 80s and the Yorubas with the Yoruba movie industry and let us see how each sector will fare in 10 years time.

6 Likes

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Olulinks(m): 5:08am On Mar 10, 2015
Interesting! This is one of the reasons Ibo people may never rule this country, they make politics out of everything. And if anybody tries to correct them, especially, the kids that are on this site, then they quickly rain abuses on him or her, thinking correcting them while not being their tribe is also politics!
Anyway, just like someone else here has said, how many ibo films do they have to their credits. All they do is English film, while few of them barely speaks correct Ibo language. I don't know if the owner(s) of DSTV is Yoruba or Hausa, abi while will someone think they are being sidelined on what will even bring money and credit to the company. This IBO thinking attitude is not taking the ibos anywhere and they won't change but they would rather fight, abuse or scatter things. What a myopic thinking people!
Anyway, since you don't want to hear orther tribe talk, you can suit yourself and sue Dstv, if they don't have right to air whatever they like. Meanwhile, Kunle Afolayan, a Yoruba vibrant promising young man is taking the lead in the industry. He almost swept all the awards the last time. AY comedian too from Delta etc. Where are the ibos and their Nullywood?

1 Like

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Nobody: 6:10am On Mar 10, 2015
customized13:
See people wey wan advice Igbo on DSTV station, with this huge disgrace smiley
You are a fool, sincerely.
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by waternogetenemy: 7:36am On Mar 10, 2015
rahazaqa:
Igbos does not have a rich culture, and even the little one you have are going into an extinction. Most of u ppl can't speak ur language but can speak Yoruba , hausa and english wella. I don't blame DTSV

U think all yoruba children speak yoruba? There are many yorubas dat cannot speak the language. I have met some.

As long as there is alaigbo, the language is alive and vastly spoken. In Lagos maybe but Lagos is not the whole of the eastern region, where people dont speak English but Igbo.

I hate wen u people get into igbo business, i did seek help if i was you. Why is it your problem if or how many of us speak or do not speak igbo? U are being creepy.
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 10, 2015
waternogetenemy:

U think all yoruba children speak yoruba? There are many yorubas dat cannot speak the language. I have met some.

As long as there is alaigbo, the language is alive and vastly spoken. In Lagos maybe but Lagos is not the whole of the eastern region, where people dont speak English but Igbo.

I hate wen u people get into igbo business, i did seek help if i was you. Why is it your problem if or how many of us speak or do not speak igbo? U are being creepy.
I remember one Vaughan guy back then in secondary school, he was a Yoruba, but he can't speak it.
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by waternogetenemy: 7:51am On Mar 10, 2015
customized13:
I remember one Vaughan guy back then in secondary school, he was a Yoruba, but he can't speak it.

Dont mind them. I seriously doubt Yorubas can share a country with anybody in peace after Nigeria. That is why they cling to Nigeria and shout one Nigeria like their life depend on it.

Go to Benin Republic, they have some very serious enemy even before the colonialist arrive. The problem is that they are devious and always up to no good. They always have something sinister up their sleeves and plotting the down fall of their neighbours.

Once the neighbours figure this out, an irreconcilable enmity is established.
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by GenIgrigi: 8:08am On Mar 10, 2015
ChristyG:
hahahhaha,nigga u wish,not with d numerous ibos dat hausa have killed since 1966.ibos started d hate,so dey deserve to be hated

**grins** You have been making a lot of noise lately. All your posts are about Igbos this and that, not a single intelligent post. Do you remember desola?. You will end up like her, you will be next to dance for the operatives. Please tarry on, we are loving it. **LOLS**
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by yungEX(m): 8:27am On Mar 10, 2015
Calculia:

Let me guess, u are a yoruba giving igbos advise again, on wat is in their interest? It is in igbo interest to watch yoruba and hausa channel?

Who invented Nollywood? Who invented Nigeria movie culture? Do u know the level of demand for Nollywood to revert back to igbo film production as opposed to the English film they embark on for an all inclusive viewing? Please save your advice for your tribe, we did not ask for them.

Those days of classical igbo movies like Evil Passion

stop beign stupid Abeg which 1 b "save your advice to ur tribe" he gave a good suggestion, ibo pple should act ibo speaking films shikina!!!
respect ur age and respect others
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by cheruv: 8:56am On Mar 10, 2015
QueenColeen:
Going through all these comment, I can see that there's much hatred in this country. As a yoruba lady, I'm ashamed at the kind of insults my brothers and sisters are using on the Igbos. How many hausas have insulted them this much on nairaland?
join me and canvas for the splitting of this nation..
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by IYANGBALI: 9:20am On Mar 10, 2015
emmysoftyou:
re u pain??
If u re not? Stop derailing dis thread and stick to the point and lay ur comment...cool
no it is you and your ndigbo dat are pained and you know it. Nothing for you in Nigeria tongue
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by IYANGBALI: 9:22am On Mar 10, 2015
zenith4biz:

Gbagaun....... This grammar you are 'spoked' there is goduoooooooooooooo
correction me now,did I not spoked it correctically?
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by jjfuma: 9:35am On Mar 10, 2015
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Desola(f): 11:26am On Mar 10, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** You have been making a lot of noise lately. All your posts are about Igbos this and that, not a single intelligent post. Do you remember desola?. You will end up like her, you will be next to dance for the operatives. Please tarry on, we are loving it. **LOLS**

Aboloshi ni e ni?
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by emmysoftyou: 11:52am On Mar 10, 2015
IYANGBALI:
no it is you and your ndigbo dat are pained and you know it. Nothing for you in Nigeria tongue
ooh yu re stil pained,dnt be afraid,ndigbo re peace loving pple cos am proud to be,
so chill and join d competition, dnt panic ursef,
but if no space in igbohood,we shall join d yorubahood and kannywood to eat their money nd dine with them..
remember, we have quality nd expensive chicks to remove ur old cargoes bleaching chicks on board cool
we are coming tongue

1 Like

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by excellentmomma(f): 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2015
IYANGBALI:
more people?how many are you people that you came here bragging of giving them a boost?
Lolz! See as dat one pain u, we are not much, but we are more than u and well represented round Africa where Dstv operates. It might also interest you to know we have a higher number of people with disposable cash! Infact almost everybody can afford and patronize them. Go and get detailed demography of their patronage. Ask the Telecom giants too. So don't sit in front of ur system and just hate. No be we cause am, Osinachi. Hahahaha. I commiserate with ur misery tongue
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by IYANGBALI: 12:14pm On Mar 10, 2015
excellentmomma:

Lolz! See as dat one pain u, we are not much, but we are more than u and well represented round Africa where Dstv operates. It might also interest you to know we have a higher number of people with disposable cash! Infact almost everybody can afford and patronize them. Go and get detailed demography of their patronage. Ask the Telecom giants too. So don't sit in front of ur system and just hate. No be we cause am, Osinachi. Hahahaha. I commiserate with ur misery tongue
keep decieving yourself. DSTV wants to make money and for dem to have ignored you guys means you are a bad market for them
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by IYANGBALI: 12:18pm On Mar 10, 2015
emmysoftyou:
ooh yu re stil pained,dnt be afraid,ndigbo re peace loving pple cos am proud to be,
so chill and join d competition, dnt panic ursef,
but if no space in igbohood,we shall join d yorubahood and kannywood to eat their money nd dine with them..
remember, we have quality nd expensive chicks to remove ur old cargoes bleaching chicks on board cool
we are coming tongue
ask your elders that know better why you guys can and will never rule Nigeria and stop dreaming,it will never come to pass,the best you can get is VP which is like a spare tyre tongue
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by omoreminder2: 12:31pm On Mar 10, 2015
Desola:

Aboloshi ni e ni?

I think your pictures are fine when I saw them.

1 Like

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by GenIgrigi: 4:18pm On Mar 10, 2015
Desola:

Aboloshi ni e ni?

**grins** Desola Buluro my honey, I do not understand the nonsense you typed there but whatever it means, i hope it says-'ChristyG please softpedal these Igbo guys could toment you forever'. I really do hope so. **LOLS**
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by omoreminder2: 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** Desola Buluro my honey, I do not understand the nonsense you typed there but whatever it means, i hope it says-'ChristyG please softpedal these Igbo guys could toment you forever'. I really do hope so. **LOLS**

grin grin Leave Desola jare, I think she is good looking. What do you think?
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by GenIgrigi: 6:31pm On Mar 10, 2015
omoreminder2:

grin grin Leave Desola jare, I think she is good looking. What do you think?

**grins** She looks fair (maybe too much Igbo prick) and unyorubalike. I like fair babes. I'll welcome her on my Royal kingsized bed anyday. **LOLS**
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by ezefrank87(m): 9:22pm On Mar 10, 2015
softysparky:

Bia nwokem, maybe you should go back and reread my post and the post you quoted properly. I think something is wrong with your eyes.
I can't buh smh @ u....am sure u tink dancing 2 d gallery will fetch u accolades n make u feel good
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 10, 2015
ezefrank87:
I can't buh smh @ u....am sure u tink dancing 2 d gallery will fetch u accolades n make u feel good
Hiannnn Who is this one
Biko gbagoo agbagooo...

1 Like

Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by tolulinks(m): 10:53pm On Mar 10, 2015
No surprises really? igbos prefer to adopt genglish as there culture so it's a no brainer they lack content. yorubas are absolutely proud of their heritage hence indulge and invest in it. igbos as usual prefer city lives..
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by reborn1: 12:05am On Mar 11, 2015
omoreminder2:

I think your pictures are fine when I saw them.

You saw her pics in your dreams, you wish....
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by reborn1: 12:06am On Mar 11, 2015
[s]
GenIgrigi:

**grins** She looks fair (maybe too much Igbo prick) and unyorubalike. I like fair babes. I'll welcome her on my Royal kingsized bed anyday. **LOLS**
[/s]

You are here again to shout, you no dey tire? What do you gain from making noise everywhere on nairaland, go get a life little boy. cool
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by reborn1: 12:06am On Mar 11, 2015
[s]
GenIgrigi:

[/s]
Re: Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel by omoreminder2: 7:17am On Mar 11, 2015
reborn1:

You saw her pics in your dreams, you wish....

Take it or leave it.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Judge Orders Prosecution Of Three Channels Television Staff / Miss Teen United Nations Nigeria Reality TV Show Hosts 2019 Edition In Delta / BBNaija: Frodd Wins Ultimate Veto Power, Heads To Finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.