Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Advice On Nigerian Authors - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Advice On Nigerian Authors (965 Views)

What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol / How Does One Become A Member Of The Association Of Nigerian Authors? / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice On Nigerian Authors by Ladytemi(f): 12:33am On Jan 14, 2009
Ok guys and gals I need advice on good books by new and up and coming nigerian authors that would make for good reading
Re: Advice On Nigerian Authors by Sapphic: 1:39am On Jan 14, 2009
Try the following (if you have not read them) -

Pretty Good Books
1. "Half of a Yellow Sun" and "Purple Hibiscus" both by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. "Waiting for an Angel" by Helon Habila
3. "The Icarus Girl" by Helen Oyeyemi
4. "Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan
5. "Goodbye Lucille" and "A Life Elsewhere" both by Segun Afolabi
6. "Beasts of No Nation" by Uzodinma Iweala

Alright Books (But Not Spectacular)
7. "Measuring Time" by Helon Habila
8. "Everything Good Will Come" by Sefi Atta
9. "Unbridled" and Walking With Shadows" both by Jude Dibia

Those books should get you started if you haven't read them previously. Please note that the distinction placed on the books (as good or alright) is based solely on my taste and some of the books are anthologies of short stories.

Keep reading & keep supporting our writers. smiley
Re: Advice On Nigerian Authors by Ladytemi(f): 4:12am On Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions I'll definately check them out

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Had The Enthusm/urge To Write / God Is A Writer (comments please) / A Birthday To Remember 4(last Episode)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.