Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Who Is God Jealous Of? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is God Jealous Of? (11702 Views)

Where Is God? / A Jealous God Can Only Be A Mere Tribal Deity / There Is God And He Answers Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by davien(m): 10:09pm On Mar 09, 2015
Shirley07:
He's jealous of sin.
So "god" wants to be "sinful"?, that explains a lot... smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by lepasharon(f): 10:13pm On Mar 09, 2015
Pr0ton:

and you worship the Bible God?

I dont know what I worship or believe anymore undecided
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 10:15pm On Mar 09, 2015
lepasharon:

I dont know what I worship or believe anymore undecided

Then you are not worshipping anything undecided
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 10:17pm On Mar 09, 2015
wordcat:

Jealousy is Jealousy.

What makes u jealous may not make me jealous.
the jealousy of God is not the same word used to described the jealousy of man.the English translations indicate God is jealous,but the original Hebrew word gives us the clear picture.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by lepasharon(f): 10:18pm On Mar 09, 2015
Pr0ton:

Then you are not worshipping anything undecided

OK then. I'm backtracking everything I believe,some shitt doesn't make sense.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2015
lepasharon:

OK then. I'm backtracking everything I believe,some shitt doesn't make sense.

Like what and what?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 09, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Dude, give up. God has won the battle of your soul already, the devil tried and failed. Give thanks and praises to white man Jesus.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 09, 2015
malvisguy212:
the jealousy of God is not the same word used to described the jealousy of man.the English translations indicate God is jealous,but the original Hebrew word gives us the clear picture.

And what's the 'clear picture'?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by lepasharon(f): 10:38pm On Mar 09, 2015
Pr0ton:

Like what and what?

Abraham was actually a polytheist.
Yahweh,jehovah and EL are different entities.
The jews who were supposedly gods peope were originally polytheist/pagan before 'Yahweh' came and asserted himself and said they need to worship him instead. When you read the bible have you noticed how its just simply about yahweh and the Israelites and Yahweh trying to assert himself and gain reverence from the Israelites constantly competing with these local gods? Yahweh was trying to change them from their true polytheist nature,hence the constant drama.

But you are probably a christian,so this is beyond you and will go over your head

2 Likes

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2015
lepasharon:

Abraham was actually a polytheist.
Yahweh,jehovah and EL are different entities.
The jews who were supposedly gods peope were originally polytheist/pagan before 'Yahweh' came and asserted himself and said they need to worship him instead. When you read the bible have you noticed how its just simply about yahweh and the Israelites and Yahweh trying to assert himself and gain reverence from the Israelites constantly competing with these local gods? Yahweh was trying to change them from their true polytheist nature,hence the constant drama.

But you are probably a christian,so this is beyond you and will go over your head

Yh.. We have different gods in the creation stories too. The Elohim in Gen. 1 and the YHWH Elohim in Gen. 2. Jacob spoke, in the correct sense, with gods in Gen 32 (or so. Where he fought with God Gods)

I don't still get. Being a henotheist what god do you choose? If you have none, then you are possibly an atheist like I am.

1 Like

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by wordcat(m): 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2015
malvisguy212:

Can you give me the clear picture without contradicting yourself please.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 10:53pm On Mar 09, 2015
DProDG:

And what's the 'clear picture'?
the Hebrew word qanna is an adjective and it only used for God, the context in which this word(qanna) is being used is about idols worship.

The Hebrew word used to described the jealousy of man is qana ,refers to a
passionate jealousy or envy. Qanna is not used to described envy jealousy but qana is.

The reason that God is "jealous" is because He wants people to choose to love Him. Jesus said that the most important commandment was to love God. God does not want us to waste out time worshipping pretend gods that do not exist.

I will not waste my time in arguing with you guys, you don't believe in God,why do you guys want to understand the feeling of God ? Have watch the movie "God is not dead?" the op atheism sound like the professor in the movie. Thank you for your time.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 10:54pm On Mar 09, 2015
wordcat:

Can you give me the clear picture without contradicting yourself please.
look down your knell. It's there. Peace.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by wordcat(m): 11:07pm On Mar 09, 2015
malvisguy212:
look down your knell. It's there. Peace.

Down your knell?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 11:15pm On Mar 09, 2015
wordcat:

Down your knell?
read post 43.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by wordcat(m): 11:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
malvisguy212:
read post 43.

Post 43--The reason that God is jealous is because he wants people to choose to love him.

Wordcat--The reason that Akpan is jealous is because he wants Ekeate to choose to love him But Ekeate choose to love Okon instead.

Now Tell me, what is the difference?

1 Like

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by jnrbayano(m): 12:10am On Mar 10, 2015
wordcat:

Post 43--The reason that God is jealous is because he wants people to choose to love him.

Wordcat--The reason that Akpan is jealous is because he wants Ekeate to choose to love him But Ekeate choose to love Okon instead.

It is not same.

God is jealous because he is the Almighty God maker of heaven and earth and the things therein.

He doesn't want us to love other gods since those other gods do not know how he created everything, man inclusive and why would he share his glory of creation (man) with another?

1 Like

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by lepasharon(f): 1:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Pr0ton:

Yh.. We have different gods in the creation stories too. The Elohim in Gen. 1 and the YHWH Elohim in Gen. 2. Jacob spoke, in the correct sense, with gods in Gen 32 (or so. Where he fought with God Gods)

I don't still get. Being a henotheist what god do you choose? If you have none, then you are possibly an atheist like I am.

So you are atheist. I dont know which god undecided But im drifting away from abrahamic gods and think ill start looking into yoruba mythology
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by lepasharon(f): 1:27am On Mar 10, 2015
MrPresident:

nope, am a staunch Atheist.

Lool are you not the hebrew israelite ?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 5:51am On Mar 10, 2015
wordcat:

The differences between the words describing human vs. godly jealousy are profound. For example, the jealousy that keeps one out of heaven is defined as "an envious and contentious rivalry, jealousy" ( Thayer's Greek Dictionary).

God does not envy an human being or
anything that any human being
possesses. God has no rivals. The apostle Paul indicates that there is a godly form of jealousy. The main reason why atheists think that God should not be jealous is that, as an English word,
"jealousy" has virtually universal
negative connotations. In the original
languages in which the Bible is written,
Hebrew and Greek, the words translated as "jealousy" in English do not always have negative connotations. In fact, the Greek word often translated "jealous" is ZÉLOUS, from which we get the English word "ZEALOUS," referring more to zeal and ardor rather than jealousy.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by wiegraf: 6:14am On Mar 10, 2015
God has multiple personality disorder making him jealous of himself? I know its a cheap plot twist but it's the best explanation for his insanity

Or APC

3 Likes

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by blueyedgeek(m): 6:21am On Mar 10, 2015
DProDG:

These are things of the spirit bro, I don't expect you to understand. You don't have the holy spirit behind you.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Nobody: 6:25am On Mar 10, 2015
lepasharon:

Lool are you not the hebrew israelite ?

no Sis,
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 7:04am On Mar 10, 2015
lepasharon:

So you are atheist. I dont know which god undecided But im drifting away from abrahamic gods and think ill start looking into yoruba mythology

Why should you be looking into something you know it's a myth?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2015
wiegraf:
God has multiple personality disorder making him jealous of himself? I know its a cheap plot twist but it's the best explanation for his insanity

Or APC

grin grin
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by johnydon22(m): 7:18am On Mar 10, 2015
malvisguy212:
The differences between the words describing human vs. godly jealousy are profound. For example, the jealousy that keeps one out of heaven is defined as "an envious and contentious rivalry, jealousy" ( Thayer's Greek Dictionary).

God does not envy an human being or
anything that any human being
possesses. God has no rivals. The apostle Paul indicates that there is a godly form of jealousy. The main reason why atheists think that God should not be jealous is that, as an English word,
Hebrew and Greek, the words translated as "jealousy" in English do not always have negative connotations. In fact, the Greek word often translated "jealous" is ZÉLOUS, from which we get the English word "ZEALOUS," referring more to zeal and ardor rather than jealousy.

LOL godly jealousy.. lolzzz... oga jealousy is jealousy...lmao..

1 Like

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 7:32am On Mar 10, 2015
malvisguy212:

The apostle Paul indicates that there is a godly form of jealousy. The main reason why atheists think that God should not be jealous is that, as an English word,

The Greek word is "zelotes", and not zealous. "qana" means jealous, zealous or envious. But qanna strictly means jealous. The kind of jealous can be gotten from the context where it is used.

The "jealous" in Ex :5, for example, is obviously not a positive one because God is jealous to the extent of fighting you and your generation for not serving Him alone. That is a grave envious and contentious rivalry.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by blueyedgeek(m): 7:55am On Mar 10, 2015
johnydon22:

LOL godly jealousy.. lolzzz... oga jealousy is jealousy...lmao..
you obviously don't have the holy spirit bro. These are things of the spirit.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by johnydon22(m): 8:00am On Mar 10, 2015
blueyedgeek:
you obviously don't have the holy spirit bro. These are things of the spirit.

hahahahahahaha jealousy of the holy spirit... cheesy i don die this people no go kill me.. **carrys hand on head** lobatan grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 8:00am On Mar 10, 2015
Pr0ton:

The Greek word is "zelotes", and not zealous. "qana" means jealous, zealous or envious. But qanna strictly means jealous. The kind of jealous can be gotten from the context where it is used.

The "jealous" in Ex :5, for example, is obviously not a positive one because God is jealous to the extent of fighting you and your generation for not serving Him alone. That is a grave envious and contentious rivalry.
in the bible ,the Hebrew word qanna is not used to described human jealousy,the word qanna is only used for reference to God,qanna is adjective and it it from the word we get zealous from.
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by malvisguy212: 8:10am On Mar 10, 2015
proton what's the difference between zelote and zealous? Are they not indicating the same thing?

Qana >>envy
Qanna>>>zealous

Qanna is used to described the jealousy of God, understand?
Re: Who Is God Jealous Of? by Pr0ton: 8:14am On Mar 10, 2015
malvisguy212:
in the bible ,the Hebrew word qanna is not used to described human jealousy,the word qanna is only used for reference to God,qanna is adjective and it it from the word we get zealous from.

qanna is gotten from qana which is its root word. qana means either jealous, envious or zealous. qanna consequently has a connection with qana (jealous, envious or zealous). It doesn't matter who is exhibiting the jealousy, whether qanna is used for God only or not. He is simply jealous. The argument is just like someone arguing for a capital letter "G" for God and small letter for other gods. We know such argument is baseless (and you don't expect me to explain why)

Furthermore, most verses where "jealous" is used with God show a sense of a negative grave jealousy. For example again, "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God." Deut 4:24.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? / The Day A "Bad Guy" Met His Saviour / Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.