Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Rap Is Dead - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Is Dead (3057 Views)

Dan Maraya Jos Is Dead / American Rap Artiste, Lil Wayne Is Dead? / Da Grin Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rap Is Dead by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 14, 2009
When the likes of Snoop and Kanya start singing then u know Rap is in trouble.
When rappers can't capture peoples attention lyrically and so resort to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling, then Rap is in shit.
Rap as we knew it from the days of KRS one and Rakim was all about sending out a message thru lyrics. Can't even name one local rap artist in Naija who can truly be called a rapper.
Surely, when people like Nas leave the stage, that would mark the end of Rap as a music genre.
Re: Rap Is Dead by khanye(m): 10:40am On Jan 14, 2009
Kanya
Re: Rap Is Dead by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2009
Kanye i'm sure he meant.
@Poster
I agree. Rap is now a mockery. Even Common i used to hold in high esteem is messing up. I still love the likes of Talib Kweli though.
Re: Rap Is Dead by olush0la(m): 2:53pm On Jan 14, 2009
It's the devil,
LOL, !
Look on the bright side, MI is repping us.
The game has changed, Rap music has evolved.
The major issue is that MTV decides what rappers turn out nowadays,
Pray,
LOL
Re: Rap Is Dead by JazzFreak(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2009
Aqva:

Can't even name one local rap artist in Naija who can truly be called a rapper.

Mode 9 & M.I are really reping Naija cheesy

Aqva:

When rappers can't capture peoples attention lyrically and so resort to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling, then Rap is in shit.

Nothing like old school rap, that's when it was groovy.
Re: Rap Is Dead by g4d4f1(m): 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2009
Please please please, trying not to curse.Ye that speak about rap being crucified are not distant from the truth,incidentally the current scene starting from 01/02 has kicked my interest in rap out the window.However I dare say all hope is not lost as over the last 3 years my fellow home-bred brethrens have rekindled that light.It started in the days of Trybes then the beef btw the wack (eedris) and semi-wack (rugged) then to hearing Mode 9 and thinking, thats hot,then came along Sauce and my gawd he's good.Within a flick Naeto eased in with Ikechuckwu (alien) and the fire started to brew then all of a "suddenly" (like dbanj) M.I dropped on the scene.Now tell me if you had a compilation of these cats on an album won't we have a good listen?
For me Mode9,Sauce Kid,M.I rule the game.
Re: Rap Is Dead by HorneyChic(f): 1:45am On Jan 15, 2009
Died last millenium
Re: Rap Is Dead by shotster50(m): 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2009
Blame it on the Tall Israelis running the music i ndustry today (BET, MTV,etc). Everything has been commercialized so it only makes sense for them to push quantity and not quality.
Re: Rap Is Dead by Mobinga: 11:21am On Dec 22, 2010
Sticky-ied
Re: Rap Is Dead by 04kaa: 11:39am On Dec 22, 2010
how can u say rap is dead when rappers like MI have just started singing, grin grin grin
Re: Rap Is Dead by Bamsyle2(m): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2010
Aqva:

When the likes of Snoop and Kanya Kanye start singing then u know Rap is in trouble.

Well . . . not really - Rap is Music . . . and it helps when rappers have this at the back of their minds when rapping . . . it's also good if they can sing cos it helps them perform the Music Genre called Rap as they truly should . . . they'll understand basic stuff in Music like keys, notes, tonic solfas and so on . . .

Afterall, it's possible to rap off-key  cheesy

When rappers can't capture peoples attention lyrically and so resort to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling, then Rap is in poo.

I agree 300%.

Rap as we knew it from the days of KRS one and Rakim was all about sending out a message thru lyrics.

True . . . these catz and their contemporaries began the lyrical side of thangs as far as Rap is concerned.

Can't even name one local rap artist in Naija who can truly be called a rapper.

There are quite a few - Modenine, Terry Tha Rapman, MI, Da Grin (RIP), Blaise . . . they may not be 'there' yet but they're good.

Surely, when people like Nas leave the stage, that would mark the end of Rap as a music genre.

Nas is one of the few rappers out there whose sound appeals to the mainstream without compromising his underground roots . . . his exit will leave a vacuum in the industry . . . but then from an optimistic POV, a handful of other rappers are quite ok - J.Cole's promising . . . Blackthought/Common/Mos' Def are still reppin' . . . and Eminem still spits fiyah sometimes.
Re: Rap Is Dead by philip0906(m): 12:35pm On Dec 22, 2010
As long as they bring out club hits and make d money,2 hell with lyrics. . .or who would want 2 go d mode9 way? grin grin grin
Re: Rap Is Dead by bjmighty(m): 3:04pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^Bros, na hw many old u be?
Re: Rap Is Dead by poweredcom(m): 4:01am On Dec 23, 2010
I hate it when rappers sing.especially hat horse face Drake, I prefere J cole to any new cat that is around, Nas sais it the record bosses have messed Rap and killed it, he wa sangry wit L.A reid cos he wanna teach Nas how to do his album under his tenure as a record boss, , how could dat be, Hip hop is dead,

Got seven candles lit, black wallpaper, black carpet
Thinkin' about which nigga to target
You kill a nigga today, he lives forever
So I plotted out smarter, there'll be no Martyrs
Black Tec on the table, Mag .44
Black negligee on my bitch, she's at the door
Black fish eggs, nigga, that's the caviar
You niggaz fish-made, y'all niggaz is fifth grade
Niggaz, it's fifty ways to disect the General
If I give ya the top five, you will not survive
Rule 1: RoosterDrinker, keep my name from your tongue
Rule 2: thought ya knew don't Bleep with God's Son
Rule 3: see, matter fact, I just wait
If y'all reach top five, then I'ma eat y'all alive
Each one of you guys that claim Hip-Hop is still alive
Like y'all ain't in agreement wit Nas
That shit is dead motha'fucka, it's dead bitch
NAS "Money Over Bullshit"
Re: Rap Is Dead by eldee(m): 4:23am On Dec 23, 2010
Aqva:

When the likes of Snoop and Kanya start singing then u know Rap is in trouble.

So what if Kanye and Snoop are singing, aren't there other rappers??

Aqva:

When rappers can't capture peoples attention lyrically and so resort to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling, then Rap is in poo.

All these have been there since the days of Pac. . . was rap dead then??

Aqva:

Rap as we knew it from the days of KRS one and Rakim was all about sending out a message thru lyrics. Can't even name one local rap artist in Naija who can truly be called a rapper.

If you want to learn, go to school . . . if you want messages, gimme your number, I'll SMS you.

Aqva:

J.Cole, Slaughterhouse, Pill, Lupe Fiasco . . . do you want me to continue??
Re: Rap Is Dead by eldee(m): 4:26am On Dec 23, 2010
poweredcom:

I hate it when rappers sing.especially hat horse face Drake

If he's singing, doesn't that just mean he's a rapper when he raps and a singer when he sings??
Re: Rap Is Dead by Mobinga: 6:16am On Dec 23, 2010
grin grin haha
Re: Rap Is Dead by McCoy91(m): 8:24am On Dec 23, 2010
I have 13gig of old school rap on my lappy from Immortal Technique to Eric B. & Rakim and Modey is my favourite 9ja rapper. That doesn't mean i don't jam commercial. Heck, JayZ said 'if skills sold, truth be told, i'd probably be Talib Kweli'. Me ehn, i'd rather be Naeto C than Modey.
Re: Rap Is Dead by Mobinga: 8:33am On Dec 23, 2010
McCoy91:

I have 13gig of old school rap on my lappy from Immortal Technique to Eric B. & Rakim and Modey is my favourite 9ja rapper. That doesn't mean i don't jam commercial. Heck, JayZ said 'if skills sold, truth be told, i'd probably be Talib Kweli'. Me ehn, i'd rather be Naeto C than Modey.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

shocked shocked shocked shocked

shocked shocked
Re: Rap Is Dead by ritchboy(m): 9:00am On Dec 23, 2010
I have 13gig of old school rap on my lappy

Wetin be the bit-rate of those tracks? 1gbps? grin grin grin
Re: Rap Is Dead by Mobinga: 9:03am On Dec 23, 2010
ritchboy:

Wetin be the bit-rate of those tracks? 1gbps? grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin haha Sarcasm Even at 320kbps It'll be like 3000 tracks  grin
Re: Rap Is Dead by McCoy91(m): 9:28am On Dec 23, 2010
Mobinga:

grin grin grin grin grin haha Sarcasm Even at 320kbps It'll be like 3000 tracks  grin
Una dey vex? Actually, its just over 3000 songs. Na wa oh
Re: Rap Is Dead by Mobinga: 9:45am On Dec 23, 2010
Hip Hop Is Dead
Re: Rap Is Dead by philip0906(m): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2010
bjmighty:

^^Bros, na hw many old u be?
hoe e take relate 2 my post or d post?abi u just wan finish ur time 4 cyber?
Re: Rap Is Dead by medjai(m): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2010
Dead and buried!
Re: Rap Is Dead by fdigital(m): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2010
4 me i have long bliged my r.i.p condolence for rap/hip-hop very long ago. , . may there humble reign continue to rest in peace at varnish, . .

just banging Will Smith oldies trk--summer time
Re: Rap Is Dead by Bamsyle2(m): 6:58pm On Dec 23, 2010
eldee:

All these have been there since the days of Pac. . . was rap dead then??

Nah . . . that's a hasty generalization . . .

Much as I disagreed with several of the OP's points, the task here is to identify the fine/salient points in what he said - he said "When rappers can't capture peoples attention lyrically and so resort to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling . . . "

The question is - did Pac capture people's attention lyrically?? I think he did . . . so even if once in a hundred songs he "resorts to flaunting hot chicks, cars and bling" (I'm certain you're referring to vids for songs like "How Do You Want It", "I Get Around", etc), he ain't on the same level as a Nelly or Fiddy who do that as their overall theme.

Mentioning Pac is totally out of it.
Re: Rap Is Dead by eldee(m): 8:13pm On Dec 23, 2010
@Bamsyle

If rappers can't capture people's attention lyrically, it's not that they're not lyrical, it's the fact that people decided to pay attention to other things.
It's only reasonable that labels force rappers to do what people now pay attention to.
I've always said it, if Biggie and Pac returned today, they'll most likely be shifting crappy figures.

So it's your fault that rappers jumped on the autotune, it's your fault that gangster music is dead, it's your fault that acts like The Roots never get to MTV, if there was a demand for it, they'll be doing it.

Besides, Pac ain't sum saint . . . in his biggest songs he was either boasting about guns or just erm . . .boasting, how is that different from Jay-Z boasting about G4 pilots??
Re: Rap Is Dead by hax: 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2010
eldee:

J.Cole, Slaughterhouse, Pill, Lupe Fiasco . . . do you want me to continue??
awww. . . you like Pill. . . that's so cute.

see? one rapper we both like. tongue
Re: Rap Is Dead by chiogo(f): 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2010
This thread is almost 2 years old.
Anyway, rap is only dead if you want it to be. It's not dead to me.
Re: Rap Is Dead by bgees(m): 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2010
Rap is not dead. Gangsta Rap is .
Re: Rap Is Dead by philip0906(m): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2010
^^
sense wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dagrin Ft Omawunmi-thank God / [music + Video] Wizkid Ft. Nicki Minaj & Cardi B – Sweat / Naira Marley "Puta" (mp3 Download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.